PDA

View Full Version : Mich Pilot Powers

Vagabond
18th December 2006, 07:24
Hey all Iv'e just had a new set of Pilot Powers fitted, last weekend to be exact.

I hate them! :sick:

Anyway the deal so far is Iv'e taken them for a blat down to Kaiaua on Saturday and a short ride straight up the motoway to puhoi and back on Sunday, so in reality Iv'e done a couple a hundy on them. I paid $550 but would like to try and recoup a few dollars, ah hell I'll let both go for $400 now thats a christmas deal you can't refuse if you like those tyres!

As for me I'm going back to the M3's

Send me a pm if interested, I would like to see both go at once but if two individuals want different tyres will split them up!

Front: 120/70-17
Rear: 190/50-17

kiwifruit
18th December 2006, 07:45
i could be keen on the rear.....

what don't you like about them?

boomer
18th December 2006, 08:16
i could be keen on the rear.....

what don't you like about them?

the way they handle the jandle, they'll be alwight for you tho white boy :yeah:

kiwifruit
18th December 2006, 08:33
the way they handle the jandle, they'll be alwight for you tho white boy :yeah:

All this talk is gonna make giving you the learn so much sweeter :)
I hope it rains on friday!!!

cowpoos
18th December 2006, 08:38
Hey all Iv'e just had a new set of Pilot Powers fitted, last weekend to be exact.

I hate them! :sick:

Anyway the deal so far is Iv'e taken them for a blat down to Kaiaua on Saturday and a short ride straight up the motoway to puhoi and back on Sunday, so in reality Iv'e done a couple a hundy on them. I paid $550 but would like to try and recoup a few dollars, ah hell I'll let both go for $400 now thats a christmas deal you can't refuse if you like those tyres!

As for me I'm going back to the M3's

Send me a pm if interested, I would like to see both go at once but if two individuals want different tyres will split them up!

Front: 120/70-17
Rear: 190/50-17
these are the grippiest road tyres out....what is it you don't like about them...if they don't feel right I suggest checking things like tyre pressure,etc out....coz your the first person I've ever heard diss them!!!!

Vagabond
18th December 2006, 09:11
After riding on the M3's I found them to be squirmish especially when laying the power on!
And I have tried differing tyre pressures, but don't want to start playing with suspension set-up.
May just be me or the way I ride but I definately don't feel confidant on them, would rather go with what I feel confidant on!

Sorry Kiwifruit just pm'd TLDV8, as he wanted both, will keep you informed if they go!

MSTRS
18th December 2006, 09:18
You do realise that it takes at least a couple hundred to scrub tyres? They will be 'dodgy' prior to the glaze being taken off.

cowpoos
18th December 2006, 09:39
You do realise that it takes at least a couple hundred to scrub tyres? They will be 'dodgy' prior to the glaze being taken off.
thats not entirly true....three laps of manfield will scrub a set of tyres....thats only bout 10km....sales man talk shit alot....

idb
18th December 2006, 09:43
I replaced my rear PP on Friday.
A quick Central Otago blast and it's nicely on the way to scrubbing in.
A couple of squirmy moments but I know from experience that once the lube is off it it'll never frighten me.
And I frighten easily!

Vagabond
18th December 2006, 10:04
I replaced my rear PP on Friday.
A quick Central Otago blast and it's nicely on the way to scrubbing in.
A couple of squirmy moments but I know from experience that once the lube is off it it'll never frighten me.
And I frighten easily!

Hey it's not just the squirmishness it's also the feedback I'm feeling from the road, fuk-it too hard to try and put into words :dodge: also been thinking about what happened to 'Beyond' and would rather ride with what I'm comfortable with, these M3's are gonna be the most expensive set of tyres i've owned but for peace of mind it's worth it!:done:

idb
18th December 2006, 10:32
Hey it's not just the squirmishness it's also the feedback I'm feeling from the road, fuk-it too hard to try and put into words :dodge: also been thinking about what happened to 'Beyond' and would rather ride with what I'm comfortable with, these M3's are gonna be the most expensive set of tyres i've owned but for peace of mind it's worth it!:done:

Quite right, you should stick with what you're comfortable with.

Vagabond
18th December 2006, 10:53
Right these tyres are definately going to TLDV8.

Squeak the Rat
18th December 2006, 10:58
I might be talking out my arse, but don't tires have different sidewall stiffness which means that tire A might need different suspension settings from tire B?

PS - Vagabond, you don't work in sales do you :rofl:

Vagabond
18th December 2006, 11:02
I might be talking out my arse, but don't tires have different sidewall stiffness which means that tire A might need different suspension settings from tire B?

PS - Vagabond, you don't work in sales do you :rofl:

Shit I wonder if they'd pay me commission, or or or give me like 25% discount!

Shaun
18th December 2006, 17:01

Go with what you like man, but as poos and others have said, the Mich is a fantastic tyre,I have just changed from Pirelli to Michelin for the race season

NinjaBoy
18th December 2006, 17:05
After riding on the M3's I found them to be squirmish especially when laying the power on!

I've gone from M3's to PP's and have experienced the squirmish rear. I thought initially it was they hadn't been scrubbed in yet but now after 10,000km they still squirm. Although only on the road.

Its annoying but I love the steep profile which makes them drop in really quick. Although I have 65 profile front which may speed things up just a bit.

Satch
18th December 2006, 17:22
Yeah its odd, ive heard nothing but good stuff about PP from kiwis, yet i have alot of american contacts and they hate them over there. They have a real bad rep for build quality and developing bulges etc

Now this is only what theyve told me but maybe its got something to do with different heats or road surfaces or something.

But there deffinately are 2 sides to this story

boomer
18th December 2006, 17:50
i've moaned about the PP's since i've had 'em; they squirm alot on the road; fine on the track.

i don't have power to complain about squirming then, but they do squirm in/out of corners

Vagabond
18th December 2006, 17:57
Go with what you like man, but as poos and others have said, the Mich is a fantastic tyre,I have just changed from Pirelli to Michelin for the race season

Hey I appreciate what you're saying it's just the feedback that I'm feeling through my handelbars aint that "KOSHER"

Could just be my bike set-up but intend going with what feels good for me!

Different strokes for different folks!:innocent:

Vagabond
18th December 2006, 18:02
On a side note I guess it's also got a lot to do with the highside I had two years ago and just like to have positive feedback from the road, not withstanding the general public road surface which is shite at the best of times!

TonyB
18th December 2006, 18:15
I've never heard anyone bag the Powers... ever. But as they say, tyres are a very personal thing, what one rider loves, another rider may hate.

SPman
18th December 2006, 18:23
Over here (WA), they like em, but complain of bugger all feedback until the limit when they just let go and dump you on yr arse!

Had them on the SP and they were great!

robertydog
18th December 2006, 18:41
Ive had a really good run on the powers. But you right, its a confidence thing. I would probably be the same on something other than Michelin's

Two Smoker
18th December 2006, 19:05
On a side note I guess it's also got a lot to do with the highside I had two years ago and just like to have positive feedback from the road, not withstanding the general public road surface which is shite at the best of times!

Geez i still remember that crash... Shocked that you dont like Pilot Powers (loosebruce loved them) But stick with what you like....

BTW Michelins are the dogs bollocks :first:

Patch
18th December 2006, 19:36
Each to their own. I like 'em, warm up reasonably quickly an apparently they left a really great black mark on the exit of a particular corner on a certain track.

i don't have power to complain about squirming then, but they do squirm in/out of corners

You sure its the tyres bro?? :dodge:

corsa's are crap, expensive shite. wear out way too quick when compared to PP. PP hold better in the wet, better all round tyre road or track. TLR or Gixxer treatment, I like 'em.

Lou Girardin
18th December 2006, 19:50
Interesting comments, it sounds like the Powers work well when warm, but not so well in normal road riding.
Which is what most of us do.
That's the feedback that is really valuable.

DMNTD
18th December 2006, 20:00
Interesting comments, it sounds like the Powers work well when warm, but not so well in normal road riding.
Now that I do find interesting Lou as I've had nothing but great experiences with them on the road. In saying that I do agree with them "squirming" entering corners etc but maybe I'm just used to that especially when riding assertively.
I find that the PP's heat up quickly compared to other tyres I've been trying recently...especially compared to the Corsa's,but that is my opinion. If the Corsa's weren't free I wouldn't be running them as I too prefer the profile of the PP's(sharper).

In saying all of that...ride with what gives you confidence :yes:

GIXser
18th December 2006, 20:13
i've moaned about the PP's since i've had 'em; they squirm alot on the road; fine on the track.

you do nothing but moan ...full stop!!!

DMNTD
18th December 2006, 20:14
....damn dude,too much to say but shall resist,unlike Boomer

pritch
18th December 2006, 20:14
The latest BIKE mag has an article about tyres. They tested three different Michelin tyres with three different riders trying each tyre. Three Michelin tyres were chosen so as to restrict the comparison to compounds rather than have different profiles confuse matters.

The surprise finding was that The Pilot Power 2CT has a different profile to the Pilot Race and the Pilot Road tyres.

The Pilot Power has a pointier profile to make it turn more quickly if less predictably. Both the Road and the race tyres are more rounded making them slower turning but more consistent. Racers need precision so their tyres are a more predictable rounded profile.

The riders could elect to keep one set of tyres of their choice. Two went for the Pilot Road, one took the Pilot Race. Nobody took Pilot Powers.

GIXser
18th December 2006, 20:15
Each to their own. I like 'em, warm up reasonably quickly an apparently they left a really great black mark on the exit of a particular corner on a certain track.

and what track would that be Patch????:dodge:

Patch
18th December 2006, 20:26
you do nothing but moan ... :yeah:
Just shove his face in harder, that'll stop da LB moanin' :spanking:

and what track would that be Patch????:dodge:
Umm . . . dunno, can't remember :yes: as I banged my head :doh:

Shaun
18th December 2006, 20:50

Bollocks, you just Moan full stop

boomer
18th December 2006, 20:53
I'm allowed to moan, i'm a friggen POM ya bunch of 'Top Hats'.. you'd moan too of ya had a face like mine .. :angry:

Bollocks, you just Moan full stop

Just shove his face in harder, that'll stop da LB moanin' :spanking:

....damn dude,too much to say but shall resist,unlike Boomer

Whats this.. fukin highschool girls reunion or what?

Shaun
18th December 2006, 20:55
I'm allowed to moan, i'm a friggen POM ya bunch of 'Top Hats'.. you'd moan too of ya had a face like mine .. :angry:

I did, untill I sat down

Shaun
18th December 2006, 20:56
2CT, the only way to go, fantastic for road and track days, heats up quick and the feel from them is awsome

boomer
18th December 2006, 20:57
I did, untill I sat down

thats just mean ya old cunt... :finger:

:lol:

DMNTD
2CT, the only way to go, fantastic for road and track days, heats up quick and the feel from them is awsome
Are they currently available here and do you know of cost?

nodrog

are the 2CT's availiable in NZ now?

Sensei
18th December 2006, 20:58
Not the best Tyre I have used !

boomer

Bollox, what would you know??? Dunlop 208rr's are the go mate, trust me.

Patch
The only thing these crap corsa's were good at

Bollox, Dunlop 208rr's are the go mate

Do they squeal as loud as you do Big Boy??

Kornholio
18th December 2006, 21:02

I thought you were Outer Mongolian.....:mellow:

Shaun
18th December 2006, 21:05
Are they currently available here and do you know of cost?

YES and NO

boomer
18th December 2006, 21:05
I thought you were Outer Mongolian.....:mellow:

Nah, Nigerian bro, masquerading as a Maori... Aow!

boomer
18th December 2006, 21:06
YES and NO

You dodgy bastad.. hook a brother up??

hahaha

Shaun
18th December 2006, 21:06
Bollox, what would you know??? Dunlop 208rr's are the go mate, trust me.

Trust you, faaaaaaaark offski

Shaun
18th December 2006, 21:07

Have you tried the 2CT

Shaun
18th December 2006, 21:08
You dodgy bastad.. hook a brother up??

hahaha

Yes they are available

And NO, I do not know the price as I do not do normall retail sales

Don't actually do much to normal come to think of it

Vagabond
18th December 2006, 21:16
Geez i still remember that crash... Shocked that you dont like Pilot Powers (loosebruce loved them) But stick with what you like....

BTW Michelins are the dogs bollocks :first:

Hey TS long time no see, looks like Iv'e started a real shit fight here!
When I rode the M3's they gave me a really positive feedback of roadsurface and all twitches and slides when entering certain corners too fast felt really predictable, normally I would give a tyre a really good run to be sure of how I felt about them, plus on Saturday there were a couple of patches that had molten tar so that could have been some of the squirmishness I felt!

Still gonna go with what I'm comfortable with though.

kiwifruit
18th December 2006, 21:20
The only thing these crap corsa's were good at

is that it?????
good for fuck all then?
is that a pack rack on your gixxer? Sacrilege!!!!! :shit:

TLDV8
18th December 2006, 21:20
Well i shot out and whipped the wheels off the TL ready for the morning,i feel so much better about PP's after reading some of these posts :laugh:

Nonbeliever
18th December 2006, 21:35
Vagabond, go with what you feel is best for you, because you're the one riding on them.No one else.

As we know, so much of motorcycle riding comes down to confidence, and if you've got no confidence in you're tyres (doesn't matter what they are) you're not going to enjoy it as much.

cowpoos
19th December 2006, 08:29
you ain't no athourity on perfomance anything though....your average!!

boomer
19th December 2006, 08:41
you ain't no athourity on perfomance anything though....your average!!

should be good enough for you then ;)

SimJen
19th December 2006, 09:57
That's the feedback that is really valuable.

In many tests the PP's are quicker to get up to temp than most others. The M3's take longer in normal riding - Fact (from PB/Superbike magazine tests etc)
As for squirmishness I don't feel it on my K5-1000 but then everyones suspension setup/riding style is different.
I love the PP's they're a great tire with decent tread wear. I've done my dash of supersticky tyres and to be honest the PP's are within the ballpark in terms of outright grip anyway. They will never have the massive grip of Pilot Power Races etc but for the money they are excellent and last pretty well.
General consensus is that PP's and M3's are excellent.

Vagabond, Try playing with your suspension, a better understanding will dial out any traction problems instead of blaming the tyres. All tyres are different and one suspension setting won't give the same performance across the board! Odds are the PP's would become a lot more confidence inspiring for you with a little tweak here and there.

If you want added Squirmishness, get some old Pilot Race's, they were scary as shit until warm on the road.

Vagabond
19th December 2006, 10:36
General consensus is that PP's and M3's are excellent.

Vagabond, Try playing with your suspension, a better understanding will dial out any traction problems instead of blaming the tyres. All tyres are different and one suspension setting won't give the same performance across the board! Odds are the PP's would become a lot more confidence inspiring for you with a little tweak here and there.

If you want added Squirmishness, get some old Pilot Race's, they were scary as shit until warm on the road.

Yeah well having to play with the suspension was something I was trying to avoid, anyways the deal is done and I have my beloved M3's on!

Shit even riding home in this pouring rain they inspired confidence:rockon:

kiwifruit
19th December 2006, 10:46
Yeah well having to play with the suspension was something I was trying to avoid,

i highly recommend going to see Shaun to set your suspension up, honestly, its money (and not that much money) well spent :rockon:

Vagabond
19th December 2006, 10:52
i highly recommend going to see Shaun to set your suspension up, honestly, its money (and not that much money) well spent :rockon:

Got to admit I have been toying with the idea, and have had a little play with mine but am working on what feels good for me so that means trial and error, with no experience to back my decisions up!

Will have to set something up after the crazy season!

kiwifruit
19th December 2006, 10:54
You wont regret it ;)

TLDV8
19th December 2006, 11:44
Cheer's for the tyres,Colin :niceone:

Have to say,very friendly,professional (with a sense of Humour ) service at Cycletreads...and only $20 to remove/refit and balance. :niceone: :niceone:

http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/content/welcome.aspx

Shaun
21st December 2006, 08:27
Yes they are available

And NO, I do not know the price as I do not do normall retail sales

Don't actually do much to normal come to think of it

My Mistake!!!!

I have tested these here in NZ BUT, they will not be availlable for sale untill mid to late January, sorry for the miss info

The best track day tyre I have ever used

roogazza
21st December 2006, 09:15
The latest BIKE mag has an article about tyres. They tested three different Michelin tyres with three different riders trying each tyre. Three Michelin tyres were chosen so as to restrict the comparison to compounds rather than have different profiles confuse matters.
The surprise finding was that The Pilot Power 2CT has a different profile to the Pilot Race and the Pilot Road tyres.
The Pilot Power has a pointier profile to make it turn more quickly if less predictably. Both the Road and the race tyres are more rounded making them slower turning but more consistent. Racers need precision so their tyres are a more predictable rounded profile.
The riders could elect to keep one set of tyres of their choice. Two went for the Pilot Road, one took the Pilot Race. Nobody took Pilot Powers.

Interesting stuff for me !
For a guy brought up on TT100's I like most tyres I try. I'm used to a bike moving around a bit and the pilot powers do feel squirmy, but thats normal on a bandit isn't it ? I've just aqquired a local racer's used power race michelins , be good to see what they do to my flexy steed ? Gaz. :yes: