PDA

View Full Version : What stunt bike? VF750 ok?

XP@
18th December 2006, 08:43
I have an option to buy a VF750 (dunno the year, but it ain't new). It is really cheep, and way below market (tardme) value even for an deregistered bike.

The paint work is crap, the indicators are stuck on with rough fiber glass. On the whole it looks really rough, but I understand the engine and running gear is sound.

There is no way I would consider getting it back on the road, but for the price I would prefer to slide that down a carpark than my transalp.

Would (in theory) it make an ok stunt bike?
What would be the shopping list to make it stuntable (sprockets, damper, iron work...)???

Blackbird
18th December 2006, 08:48
I have an option to buy a VF750 (dunno the year, but it ain't new). It is really cheep, and way below market (tardme) value even for an deregistered bike.

The paint work is crap, the indicators are stuck on with rough fiber glass. On the whole it looks really rough, but I understand the engine and running gear is sound.

There is no way I would consider getting it back on the road, but for the price I would prefer to slide that down a carpark than my transalp.

Would (in theory) it make an ok stunt bike?
What would be the shopping list to make it stuntable (sprockets, damper, iron work...)???

Not sure what they're like at pulling wheelies, relatively heavy for the available power. The thing I'd be most worried about is that they apparently had a bad reputation for stuffing the heads due to lack of lubrication to the camshaft plain bearings. I'm not saying that the bike is unsuitable but would recommend extreme caution.

Cheers

Geoff

badlieutenant
18th December 2006, 09:58
shocks will be stuffed cams are infamous and magik dust needed to make it a stunt bike. You might be able to but it will be heavy if it lands on you.

XP@
18th December 2006, 10:20
Hmmm heavy not good, but I would look at removing as much unnecessary stuff as possible, lights plastic, non structural metal work.

The cam thing is concerning.

The front forks are in good condition.

Anyone want to buy a VF750?? really low $'s pm me

pervert
18th December 2006, 10:35
If you want to learn to stunt get a dirt bike.

onearmedbandit
18th December 2006, 10:40
Nah get a GSXR1000, they stunt by themselves.

pervert
18th December 2006, 10:45
Nah get a GSXR1000, they stunt by themselves.

That's another option for sure, you'd either get fucking good, fucking fast, or be fucking hurt.

slowpoke
18th December 2006, 11:28
I did a lot of research when I was looking at building up a 1984 VF750F retro racer (gotta love the Freddie Spencer AMA look!), there's heaps of info about.
They ARE heavy by todays standards but were the ducks nuts in their day as far as performance goes. If it's not gonna be a street bike then there's 10's of kilo's of shite you can throw in the bin (the standard exhaust is monstrous)
The cams were an issue cos Honda machined the heads and camshaft bearing caps SEPARATELY, rather than line boring as a matched set. Hence a lot of problems when the machining errors added up to a baaaad number. Extra lubrication was one of the many fixes tried until they figured out their machining practice just wasn't up to spec. If the thing is running ok now 20years later then I'd say the issue has been sorted or it would have been junked long ago.
Another good thing I liked about the VF750 was that the VF1000 motor virtually bolts straight in and you've got an instant 120hp torque monster.

cowpoos
18th December 2006, 12:36
it will be mint as a stunter....PM stunters like whitetrash,ghostrider,frenchy,death inc,etc for a real opinion...

XP@
18th December 2006, 13:52
Hmmm... maybe not so bad... afterall...

Anyway the bike is avalible, it is in wellington and I havn't bought it yet...
Does wellington need a stunt bitch?

If so is anyone interested in it?
I think it I should be able to pick it up for a tad under $500...

It's really close to christmas so I think my testies would be fried if I came home with it now. But there again maybe fried testies would be worth it, I hear they taste ok.