PDA

View Full Version : Kaitaia or Coromandel?? - Luxury Problem

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
19th December 2006, 09:59
Luxury Problem

Either ride to Katiaia from Auckland or do the Coromandel - which would be best?

I will be in Auckland New Year's Eve. Would start the above 2/3 Jan. No dates are really fixed!!

Proposed itinerary:

22 Dec Wgtn to Napier
27/28 Dec Leave Napier for East Cape
29/30 Dec Hamilton - Auckland

If anyone would like to join me on any part of the trip - pm me.
While I don't do Xmas I appreciate that others do and probably have family commitments.

It's interesting the comments I am getting from colleagues at work. You going on your own! Are you camping on your own!! You shouldn't do that!! A woman on her own!! I've done it before - I loved it. Yes it's nice to have company I'm sure - never done a long trip with other bikers, but I'm perfectly capable of going on my own. I'll have my cellphone and laptop!! lol actually still deciding on the latter! Have a list of KB'ers in case I have problems with the bike.

This is what is called FREEDOM. Me, my bike and nature! Someone once said to me in a scathing tone "You lead such a simple life" - I took it as a compliment - cos I've been to hell and back many times over and I have learnt what is important and I worked damned hard in many areas to achieve that. What other people think or say about me is none of my business and vice versa, I know what my truth is and that's all that matters - this particular freedom I do like. Clear head, clear conscience - bliss - and extremely excited I have my bike back and I can ride.

Advice welcomed on places to visit or things to look out for!!

Cheers

Trudes
19th December 2006, 10:05
Well I'm bias as I used to live there, but do Coromandel. Coromandel bottom pub (can't remember new name, Admirals arms or something), does good accommodation cheap and great meals, and happens to be owned by friends of mine, but will probably be booked by now, otherwise there's long bay motorcamp, may have room for a tent. Love the Coro, wish I was going, but tend to avoid the place during summer months now, too many strangers doing dumb shit. Enjoy whatever you do doll, and ride safe!

ceebie13
19th December 2006, 10:19
Coromandel bottom pub (can't remember new name, Admirals arms or something), does good accommodation cheap and great meals, and happens to be owned by friends of mine...

So if Lyn and I are there next month and we pop in for lunch and mention your name, will we be treated like royalty or slung out?

Satch
19th December 2006, 10:22
Kaitaia Kaitaia kaitaia, garunteed the weather will be better!!

And then i can join you for a few legs of your journey

Trudes
19th December 2006, 11:03
So if Lyn and I are there next month and we pop in for lunch and mention your name, will we be treated like royalty or slung out?

Depending upon who you see, but probabaly slung out!! LOL. If you see Rebecca, she'll probably not spit in your food if you mention my name.:shutup:

Grub
19th December 2006, 11:49
The Coromandel would be just *nuts* at this time of the year. Sure there's half of Auckland there so the parties are fun but the roads are filled with wallies who are trying to kill you.

The North is to my mind, the untapped jewel of NZ. Less people, some amazing rides with incredible places to see and the root of our history which many people don't take the time to see - on a bike stopping is easy and fun.

The biggest hazard is the locals on the roads after dark Probably the highest drink-driving area in the country

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
19th December 2006, 12:29
The Coromandel would be just *nuts* at this time of the year. Sure there's half of Auckland there so the parties are fun but the roads are filled with wallies who are trying to kill you.

I thought it might be - I got my "Great Escapes" book out and it thoroughly recommends Kaitaia - so I think that is where I will go.

Blackbird
19th December 2006, 15:32
Well I'm bias as I used to live there, but do Coromandel. Coromandel bottom pub (can't remember new name, Admirals arms or something), does good accommodation cheap and great meals, and happens to be owned by friends of mine, but will probably be booked by now, otherwise there's long bay motorcamp, may have room for a tent. Love the Coro, wish I was going, but tend to avoid the place during summer months now, too many strangers doing dumb shit. Enjoy whatever you do doll, and ride safe!

Our daughter waitressed at the Admiral's Arms year before last as it was just a short walk from our place. Really good employers.

ceebie13
19th December 2006, 16:12
... as it was just a short walk from our place.

And a short stagger on the way back aye Geoff?

Mom
19th December 2006, 16:24
Come north! I love the Cormandel too, but like others have said, it will simply be a zoo down there at that time of the year. How long is your holiday? We live in Warkworth, and would love to meet up for a cruise around some of our lovely coastline.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
19th December 2006, 17:02
I will look at my map to see where Warkworth is!! The AA people asked me if I wanted a detailed map - I said No - can't read the flamin things. I get maps with the names of the main places!!
I have to be back home by 12 Jan.

Lou Girardin
19th December 2006, 17:40
Do both coasts to and from Kaitaia, much more to see and fewer loonies on the road. The Coro Loop is only a day ride and it'll be full of road-going Jaffas.
I might ride with you for a day, PM me.

BarBender
19th December 2006, 19:50
I will be in Ohope as of the 27th with the family. Spend some time in Tolaga and Tokomaru Bay. Let me know when you leave Napier and I and a couple of friends will meet you somewhere on the East Coast and bring you right around to Ohope/Whakatane. You can stay for a feed and/or carry on to Tauranga/Waihi and the bottom of the Coro Loop.

Trudes
19th December 2006, 20:19
We're doing the East Coast probably the 27th or 28th, if you did want to hook up for a ride. Leaving Gisborne, through the Gorge to Opotiki then round and back to Gisborne.

DMNTD
19th December 2006, 20:20
Do both coasts to and from Kaitaia, much more to see and fewer loonies on the road. The Coro Loop is only a day ride and it'll be full of road-going Jaffas.
100% agree with Lou there...less traffic,more to see over a greater distance :mellow: ...well duh!

PM me if you're interested in potential routes up Norf :yes:

BarBender
19th December 2006, 20:31
DMTD is the man to take you around Hazard.

BarBender
19th December 2006, 20:36
We're doing the East Coast probably the 27th or 28th, if you did want to hook up for a ride. Leaving Gisborne, through the Gorge to Opotiki then round and back to Gisborne.

I can feel a group ride brewing...

Will be good to hook up with some of you if we can align the diaries and timing... Poor old Clivorus will be spewing that he couldnt bring his bike along if he's camping out this way....:dodge:

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
20th December 2006, 11:33
Mrs Kendog, Dmntd
These timings are good. Will keep in touch - I will definitely be taking my laptop - gee what a yuppie I is!!

Barbender - have pm'd you.

I just got a gift from my firm - "Driving Scenic NZ" looks a damned good book, a pair of binnoculars, chocolate and "Allan Scott Blanc de Blancs" wine (I think it is wine) oh well the latter will be a Xmas pressy to someone - I don't drink dammit!

Let a group ride brew - the more the merrier!

Trudes
20th December 2006, 11:43
Sweet, I may be able to steal a few moments on the net over Xmas, otherwise my mobile number is in my profile BMW.

klingon
20th December 2006, 13:04
It's interesting the comments I am getting from colleagues at work. You going on your own! Are you camping on your own!! You shouldn't do that!! A woman on her own!! I've done it before - I loved it. Yes it's nice to have company I'm sure - never done a long trip with other bikers, but I'm perfectly capable of going on my own.

I drove from Canada to Texas on my own, first time I ever visited the USA. Borrowed a "truck" (chevvy SUV) and slept in the back at night in truck stops. On the road for 30 days and 30 nights with the occasional stop to stay with people I met along the way, take a proper shower and sleep in a real bed.

We all do things that are risky. Heck, that's whay we ride bikes. But hopefully we weigh up the risks and are prepared to take the consequences of our actions.

I met some wonderful, caring people (some of whom were concerned for me, but none who tried to stop me). I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world.

Go for it, you bloody mad woman.

P.S. Go to Kaitaia.

TLDV8
24th December 2006, 10:34

DMNTD
24th December 2006, 12:47
Nice pic's mate,brings back memories of home!
I'm off there(Waipoua Forest/Opononi) in the next 20mins :spudbooge :2thumbsup :banana:

Maha
24th December 2006, 13:04
I dont remember seeing those cool spots last time i was up there. Must have been going to quick...:yes: :scooter:

SixPackBack
24th December 2006, 14:47
I dont remember seeing those cool spots last time i was up there. Must have been going to quick...:yes: :scooter:

Quick WTF?........was DMNTD towin' yer or summat?:dodge:

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
24th December 2006, 19:44
Kaitaia it is. Arrived safely in Napier =- absolutely stuffed and body sore! So long since I have ridden on a long journey. Had to stop several times. Hands sore.
Anyway the traffic out of Wellington was horrendous - I see it was on TV - thank God I was on a bike - took me an hour from Wgtn city to Waikanae!! took cages 4 hours!!

Had one very scary incident. This fkn slapper pulled out and nearly drove me off the road.
Stupid bitch hesitated in passing - I put my indicator on and waited for quite a while - pulled out then started to power on - the stupid fkn bitch didn't even look and pulled out - I was beside her door - I looked to my right and saw the white line (on wrong side of road) and the ditch and thought fk deja vu - not another bloody accident!! But in a split second I thought look to where you want to be which I did, and I never braked and took my hand off the accelerator to avoid binning.
Then I powered on got beside her - horn sounding and gave her the big finger and shouting something I won't repeat here.
Remembered reading on KB - there are worse idiots on the road at Xmas - hard to believe - but true!!

It was a nostalgic ride for me. The last time I rode that route was with Uncle B - we had alot of fun challenging each other - they were good memories. Amazing how you remember certain corners etc!!

I will be leaving Napier hopefully in the afternoon of 27th. Got to get to my bank and get a new ATM card - so I can access my money!!

Lovely warm weather in Napier!!

Lucy
24th December 2006, 22:35
You ARE bloody mad woman! Leaving Wellington on Chistmas eve. I'm so glad you made it safely. A few months ago my Brother and a mate left Welly to visit us in Auckland, (in a cage), they stop a lot for pies but still I was expecting them before 5am... the first bit to Waikanae was the worst bit.

And calling your thread Kaitaia or Coromandel, really, why don't you just call it "I need Weed" haha. Just kidding, have a ball, I'd try and hook up but I saw the number of CC's you have on your bike....:scooter:

And yeah - here's to the simple life! I would take that as a compliment too.

Cheers
Lucy

Maha
24th December 2006, 22:43
If you are leaving Napier on the 27th (weds) guessing you will be thu' our area on thursday sometime, we may be able to ride some of the way north with ya....see how ya go?. Anne an myself will be around so seems like an idea!!.......Mark

BarBender
3rd January 2007, 13:41
How's it going Shirl? Where are you now?