PDA

View Full Version : Fuel efficency

carver
20th December 2006, 07:25
heya guys
ever since i replaced the fuel lines on my k5 GS500, i have got a extra 40km out of my tank, and still going!
why would this be?
it aint on reserve either, i have the lines around the correct way.
the standard lines were shit, thin and weak, got some proper onmes on their now, correct size too!
how can this be?

ajturbo
20th December 2006, 08:02
you put the correct amount of fuel in for a change?...( you FILLED it up tothe top)

carver
20th December 2006, 08:07
you put the correct amount of fuel in for a change?...( you FILLED it up tothe top)

after 23 bikes...i should hope so.

Dai
20th December 2006, 08:14
heya guys
ever since i replaced the fuel lines on my k5 GS500, i have got a extra 40km out of my tank, and still going!
why would this be?
it aint on reserve either, i have the lines around the correct way.
the standard lines were shit, thin and weak, got some proper onmes on their now, correct size too!
how can this be?

If you care to do a little maths.

Your fuel lines are basically a hollow cylinder.

Work out the volume of you old lines

Work out the volume of you new lines.

If as you say the new lines are fatter than the old then they will hold more fuel in them.

It doesnt take much in the way of a diameter change to vastly increase the voulume of a cylinder.

You are probably not being more fuel efficient but rather carrying more fuel than before.

carver
20th December 2006, 09:11
If you care to do a little maths.

Your fuel lines are basically a hollow cylinder.

Work out the volume of you old lines

Work out the volume of you new lines.

If as you say the new lines are fatter than the old then they will hold more fuel in them.

It doesnt take much in the way of a diameter change to vastly increase the voulume of a cylinder.

You are probably not being more fuel efficient but rather carrying more fuel than before.

not true.
my new lines are 200mm longer, but of course the same I/D, for the fittings.
my bike usually does 18-20k/litre, your theory indicates a extra 2lt being carried in the lines!

Pwalo
20th December 2006, 09:32
Logically it doesn't make any sense that your fuel lines would make any difference to your mileage.

The only thing that I can come up with is that you've been riding a wee bit more conservatively after the change. The same as you always seem to get better mileage after you've done an oil change (as you listen for any sign that you've got something messed up).

carver
20th December 2006, 09:48
Logically it doesn't make any sense that your fuel lines would make any difference to your mileage.

The only thing that I can come up with is that you've been riding a wee bit more conservatively after the change. The same as you always seem to get better mileage after you've done an oil change (as you listen for any sign that you've got something messed up).

yep, done that too-the oil change!
that could be it.

Hondaz
24th December 2006, 14:26
Just a geuss - but perhaps your old lines were 'weeping' fuel. When you say 'the old lines were shit' I assume they were cracked or hard...