PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning-up the subframe

toymachine
20th December 2006, 17:10
Ok, the subframe of the VFR could use a good dose of TLC... it's got crappy paint, which is patchy to say the best, and rust spots/other surface rust.

What's a good way to go about tidying this up?

I was thinking i'd give it a good sand down (what sort of grit level should I be using?)

Followed by a good clean with autosol

Then giving it a few coats of CRC Zinc for some corrosion protection ( i can't afford powder coating or something similar )

Is this adequate? Any other steps I should take (or leave out for that matter)

Help very much appreciated.

FROSTY
20th December 2006, 17:19
rip the subby off and put it in a vice. use one of the strip and clean disks to buzz all the rust off.
Then when its all clean and back to bare metal use rust converting primer
When thats dried then paint it with your choice of colored paint
be it silver or black

twinkle
20th December 2006, 17:25
Wipe the area you're going to paint with thinners after you've sanded it, if you have any.

sAsLEX
20th December 2006, 17:36
rip the subby off and put it in a vice. use one of the strip and clean disks to buzz all the rust off.
Then when its all clean and back to bare metal use rust converting primer
When thats dried then paint it with your choice of colored paint
be it silver or black

Put bolts in the holes first then you don't end thinking why nothing fits in your newly thickened painted piece ( OCC dumbasses)

imdying
20th December 2006, 18:57
I'm with Frosty, the Strip n Clean discs are excellent. As they say on the TV, no gouging, and no clogging. Bloody good product imho. Get some etch primer from any autobody supply shop and brush it on when you're done. That'll keep it going till you get it powercoated or painted. (something like that you don't see much of, but want a good long lasting finish on, I'd powdercoat, but that's me :))

toymachine
20th December 2006, 19:18
People don't reckon zinc coat is a good idea?

imdying
21st December 2006, 11:47
People don't reckon zinc coat is a good idea?

No idea if it's good or not, but; etch primer is definitely designed to be painted over, no idea if zinc coat will react to paint or not. Doesn't seem much point taking the chance to me.

toymachine
21st December 2006, 14:55
Zinc comes coloured anyway. Might look into which is best

twinkle
21st December 2006, 17:47
you need to prime it whatever you do, check if the zinc can be used as a primer. Most of your rust protection comes from the primer, two pack paints are the best but not what you want to start spraying around in your garage.

toymachine
21st December 2006, 20:03
Well, after a good bit of chating i'm going to get a powdercoating quote for the subframe, I saw in a thread someone did their whole frame for $185 so i figure the subframe shouldn't be too expensive... the rest of the frame i'll clean myself... probably overkill on the rest of it anyway, 20years old and it doesn't seem rust from my view.

sAsLEX
21st December 2006, 20:37
Well, after a good bit of chating i'm going to get a powdercoating quote for the subframe, I saw in a thread someone did their whole frame for $185 so i figure the subframe shouldn't be too expensive... the rest of the frame i'll clean myself... probably overkill on the rest of it anyway, 20years old and it doesn't seem rust from my view.

Make sure you put bolts in all the holes before getting it done as powder coating will make the bolts not fit in there holes if you don't

watch OCC they do it all the time! Dumb arses.

toymachine
21st December 2006, 20:44
I'd fill the wholes were i doing it myself... paying someone i'da expected them to do it!

sAsLEX
21st December 2006, 20:53
I'd fill the wholes were i doing it myself... paying someone i'da expected them to do it!

Fail to prepare.....prepare to fail.

A good person might, a cheap person will not. It doesn't cost you anything to do and is a cheap insurance.