PDA

View Full Version : CBR252RR electrics gone funky.....

MaPeXi
20th December 2006, 21:00
Today i noticed my front brake light switch wasnt making that "click" sound when the brake light turns on. I checked if the brakelights were coming on and sure enough...they weren't. The rear brake makes the brakelights come on though....

I then noticed that the red wire coming out of the front brake lever was disconnected (there is a red and black wire leading into the lever area). I couldnt manage to put it back in but I think i touched a metal part of the forks with the loose red wire and blew a fuse? Now the indicators, neutral light, oil light and brake light dont work at all. The headlight high-beam light does work and so do the headlights......So after all this babble, I just want to know does this sound like a fuse issue and if so, where is the fusebox? I can see a small cover saying "FUSE" on the left side of the bike beteween the left air intake and the fueltank...but i dont see any fuses??? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

xwhatsit
20th December 2006, 21:27
To me.... I would say a fuse issue. I'm not that hot with bike electrics, I don't yet understand many of the conventions used, but it sounds like you've made a straight short to ground by touching your forks and you've burnt the fuses. I'd say the cover saying `FUSE' would be what you are looking for :), can't you just open up the cover and take a look? You might need to undo some screws. I'm sure somebody else with a CBR can help you out with that.

Edit: I hope you have your full licence! I wouldn't risk riding around on >250 bike if I were you! ;)

MaPeXi
20th December 2006, 21:36
Its a CBR250RR not a CBR252rr hehe. oops

What?
21st December 2006, 05:27
Definitely blown a fuse by that account.
First, fix the brake light switch connection. It is probably easiest to remove the switch from the lever mount to do this.
Then locate the fuse box and replace the blown fuse. The fuse box is most likely under the seat, but may be bloody-near anywhere (sorry, but I am not at all familiar with your bike). The one on the side is probably the main fuse - nothing at all will work if that is blown.

surfer
21st December 2006, 08:33
Doesn't sound serious. More like blown fuses. Pull them out one by one and replace each as you go. Make sure you replace the blown fuse with the same watt fuse (the numbers are on the end of the fuse). You might want to consider carrying a few spare fuses with you in case of emergencies as part of your roadside tool spanner repair kit.

Before you start mending the wires and reconnecting them disconnect the battery otherwise you will blow more of your fuses.

Once the battery is disconnected you can solder the wires back into the brake light switch, sounds like you have only pulled them out. The black wire is the earth/negative and the red is live. You will need a solderering iron, they are reasonably cheap to buy and even cheaper to borrow.

If you have not soldered before have a practice on a few bits of wire first and when you are ready and can do a clean solder then have a go.

Do a mechanical join first if it is a snapped wire, this is where you wrap the two exposed wires around each other after you have peeled back the plastic covering. The tighter the better. After this cover the join in solder to connect the two together. Let the solder cool down before you move the wires.

You may also need some heat-shrink to cover your work if it is a snapped rather than pulled off wire. Have a think about setting it all up before you start otherwise you will end up undoing what you have done to put it right. As it is a small one wire job you can get away with using a lighter to shrink the heat-shrink around the wires rather than a heat gun. But be careful not to burn your wiring.

Good luck, it is not difficult only fiddly but if you have not done this before it can seem daunting. Practice first on something else.

MaPeXi
21st December 2006, 11:05
Well the brake light switch assembley has turned to powder.... It seems that the plastic went brittle and just crumbled. Need a new one probably only a few dollars. Next stop: Cyclespot :)
Thank you all for you input! I'm positive it's a fuse too. We are a helpful bunch here at KB thats for sure!!!

xwhatsit
21st December 2006, 11:31
Well the brake light switch assembley has turned to powder.... It seems that the plastic went brittle and just crumbled. Need a new one probably only a few dollars. Next stop: Cyclespot :)
Thank you all for you input! I'm positive it's a fuse too. We are a helpful bunch here at KB thats for sure!!!

Damn straight. If it weren't for KB I'd be catching the bus (OK, OK, I already am lol, but I mean catching the bus for the next 10 years ;)).

Hope everything gets sorted out.

crash harry
29th December 2006, 16:15
From memory that cover that says "Fuse" is near the fuse box but not actually written on it - haven't had a CBR for a while now, but I remember having to find the thing myself and it was a pain. Just hunt around in the general area for a whilw you'll find it.