PDA

View Full Version : Any body out there?

Jackrat
23rd July 2004, 07:10
Do you think there's intelligent life on other planets.
If you do,how do you think earths one eyed religous types are going to handle it.
I think that considering the size of the universe the odds are pretty good.
If their no smarter than us but have bigger guns,Religious leaders are going to have to do some bloody fast talking.Either that or an until now undiscovered version of the bible will be found under somebodys bed. :shifty:

Slim
23rd July 2004, 07:16
There's definitely life out there, but we're such bad children down here that none of them want to come & visit us. I mean, would you, if you saw all the petty squabbling, meaningless wars & earth abuse that was going on? I certainly wouldn't!

Me <- bargepole -> Religion

Gixxer 4 ever
23rd July 2004, 07:21
If you do,how do you think earths one eyed religous types are going to handle it.
If their no smarter than us but have bigger guns,Religious leaders are going to have to do some bloody fast talking.Either that or an until now undiscovered version of the bible will be found under somebodys bed. :shifty:
You really struggle with this don't you Jackrat. If there is life out there how does that effect our current understanding of religion? Man is made in the likeness of God so where is the problem? Are you after a 72 page thread or are you serious about religion and God and stuff? :)

maybe
23rd July 2004, 07:33
Somtimes I look around and wonder if we really have intelligent life here

Jackrat
23rd July 2004, 07:40
You really struggle with this don't you Jackrat. If there is life out there how does that effect our current understanding of religion? Man is made in the likeness of God so where is the problem? Are you after a 72 page thread or are you serious about religion and God and stuff? :)
I'm looking for a 73 page thread and you've just helped my cause thanks.
But rather than taking a personal shot at me, do you actualy have an opinion.
Bear in mind answering will up the post count. :laugh:

toads
23rd July 2004, 08:18
My view on this one is God only tells us what we need to know, ie the bible relates to us as people, in genesis the bible makes reference to a number of things that indicate that we are not the only people he created, it stands to reason that as he is the creator he didn't stop and sit back on his laurels after creating us and this world, but probably had a few projects on the go, personally I believe this rather than the big bang theory which has enormous room for debate, have you ever seen any form of life just randomly happen?, carbon dating alone is dodgy I have seen an article that showed the flaws in carbon dating and other forms of dating ancient things and it concluded this earth is a hell of a lot younger than first thought, that alone makes it far more likely that we were put here, not evolved over billions of years from single cell thingys

Ms Piggy
23rd July 2004, 08:24

I think there would definitely other life on other planets but whether they are intelligent or not is another question entirely. I'm not sure why people presume that they'd be more intelligent, more advanced and living in peace & harmony. Why wouldn't they be similar to us?

As for the religious thing...yeah that would make it interesting!

Hitcher
23rd July 2004, 09:21
LOL!! Bored Troll seeks love?

Intelligent life on "other" planets assumes that there is intelligent life here! Seriously, it is highly unlikely that there is intelligent life on other planets, and so what if there is? We know enough about proximate solar systems and galaxies to know that it is unlikely that they would contain an environment that allowed "life" to exist in the first place. This means that if there was intelligent life out there it would be that far away it would be impossible to communicate with, on the basis that it was intelligent life that had learned how to communicate across space.

And please let's not get started about UFOs, little people and taniwha...

Jackrat
23rd July 2004, 09:54
Yeah those are some interesting thoughts.
I also don't know why some people think other life forms would be more advanced than us.Could just be another view point or wishfull thinking I guess.
Toads,That's the best approach to religious belief/theroy I've heard in a long time.Thanks.

Paul in NZ
23rd July 2004, 09:55
Perhaps making planets and people was God's hobby? You know, like model railways or cars and who can stop at just one?

Probably kept him out of Mrs Gods way until he started leaving glue and balsa wood shavings on the carpet and then he would have to build a shed to pursue his hobby in peace...

Maybe there are a few other Gods with similar interests and they put out a magazine, Planet Builders monthly.. Articles on how to make lifelike trees, more realistic ice ages and cunning tips to speed up evolution, that sort of thing... I'm sure some Gods would be better at things like continents or people and pretty soon they would sell them to the others in little plastic bags.. Pretty soon you will be able to buy a kitset planet, buy the whole series (with monthly magazine) and build your own universe...

Interesting concept.

Oh! I found a forgotten Bible once.. In a motel room.. Someone left it in a bedside drawer...

Paul N

Gixxer 4 ever
23rd July 2004, 10:08
I'm looking for a 73 page thread and you've just helped my cause thanks.
But rather than taking a personal shot at me, do you actualy have an opinion.
Bear in mind answering will up the post count. :laugh:
Ok I will play your game. It is a wet day and my office is dry and warm. Personal shot? Well you asked so I replied. I think other planets, moons what ever could well have life of varying degrees. There must be environments out there that have allowed chemical reactions to develop in to living things to one degree or other. But I can not see why you comment on this changing the way the church leaders see things. God made man in his likeness......We have animals on this planet put here for our use to sustain life etc so if there are other planets with life and we find them could that not indicate that it is time for us as people to seek answers from these discoveries? How does this finding of life threaten the church?
The people that are on earth are the only living things that will have the chance of salvation. God sent his son to teach us. Yes we killed him. Dum us. We go on killing him every time we do not share to save others. So what ever we find out there or here on earth we need to respect and learn from but at the end of the day it is there for us as people to use to make life better for our selves. But again we must respect these things or they will not last. Hmmm it has stopped raining so I going back to work. Good luck on your chase for the 73 mark. I hope you learn somthing on the way. I am sure I will :eek:

Gixxer 4 ever
23rd July 2004, 10:13
Pretty soon you will be able to buy a kitset planet, buy the whole series (with monthly magazine) and build your own universe...

Interesting concept.

Paul N

Interesting concept.....A God with human Trates......That would be scary........The devil by another name

duckman
23rd July 2004, 10:34
Yeah those are some interesting thoughts.
I also don't know why some people think other life forms would be more advanced than us.Could just be another view point or wishfull thinking I guess.
Toads,That's the best approach to religious belief/theroy I've heard in a long time.Thanks.
I think the theory on why other life would be more intelligent (and I could have this very wrong) is that we (earthlings) are in a part of the universe that is relatively young .... so if life was to find us it probably would have been around for a bit longer and therefore a little more advanced.
What do you think ?? :buggerd:

Motoracer
23rd July 2004, 11:02
Yep, I believe that there is a realistic possibility of life originating from somewhere other than our own planet.

Devil
23rd July 2004, 11:09
........The devil by another name
You called?
:innocent:

spudchucka
23rd July 2004, 11:15
Somtimes I look around and wonder if we really have intelligent life here
Well spotted!!

Mongoose
23rd July 2004, 11:22
LOL!! Bored Troll seeks love?

Intelligent life on "other" planets assumes that there is intelligent life here! Seriously, it is highly unlikely that there is intelligent life on other planets, and so what if there is? We know enough about proximate solar systems and galaxies to know that it is unlikely that they would contain an environment that allowed "life" to exist in the first place. This means that if there was intelligent life out there it would be that far away it would be impossible to communicate with, on the basis that it was intelligent life that had learned how to communicate across space.

And please let's not get started about UFOs, little people and taniwha...

Maybe there is life Jim, life Jim, But not as we know it. There is a human failure that we judge things by as we are, life support as we know it may not exist ior inteligence as we know it may not, but what say there is life and that life considers intself inteligent?

Gixxer 4 ever
23rd July 2004, 11:59
You called?
:innocent:
Hehehehe Now Jackrat wants us to take this seriously.....I mean in order to get to 73 pages we must keep up the one line posts and spread the the threads out across a vast domain. Well done Devil.....your human nature is starting to show :innocent:

greenhorn
23rd July 2004, 12:09
Calvin and Hobbes summed this one up for me when Calvin said something to the effect of "Sometimes i think the biggest evidence that there is intellegent life in outer space is the fact that they have not contacted us"

Jackrat
23rd July 2004, 13:31
Hehehehe Now Jackrat wants us to take this seriously.....I mean in order to get to 73 pages we must keep up the one line posts and spread the the threads out across a vast domain. Well done Devil.....your human nature is starting to show :innocent:

LOL good one Gixxer,the whole thread was ment as a bit of light entertainment.
Doing well so far.

Jackrat
23rd July 2004, 13:42
I think the theory on why other life would be more intelligent (and I could have this very wrong) is that we (earthlings) are in a part of the universe that is relatively young .... so if life was to find us it probably would have been around for a bit longer and therefore a little more advanced.
What do you think ?? :buggerd:

yeah could be.
I think there could be something out there because very star is ment to be another sun,most of them bigger than ours and some of them burnt out long ago but still visable to us due to being so far away that the light is still traveling here.Or something like that.
Anyway if each star has planets around it like ours does then that's a lot of odds for, because there's a lot of stars up there.
Just in case you wondered,I didn't get any sleep last night and spent the whole time on me deak looking up. :spudwhat:

greenhorn
23rd July 2004, 14:04
is your deak made of teak? ;)

SPman
23rd July 2004, 14:05
Somtimes I look around and wonder if we really have intelligent life here Or as Eric Idle put it...

"So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Kickaha
23rd July 2004, 19:17
I think that will depend on how you define intelligent

Gixxer 4 ever
23rd July 2004, 19:51
Come on Jackrat you are going to need more than this. Try introducing words like TITS BOOBS and bikes. Remember aliens have their tits on their backs so you can hold them while you dance with them. Now that's intelligent. :killingme :niceone: :spudwave: :sunny:

Skyryder
23rd July 2004, 19:54
I sometimes wonder, what if. What if we are the only intelligent life in the universe, and we fuck up. I mean what a wast.

Skyryder

erik
23rd July 2004, 20:46
Based on what I've been told, or read, or watched etc. yep, I think there is probably intelligent life out there. I hope there is anyway.

What do you think ??

I haven't heard that before. But I like the idea :) Just hope that they're not hostile (like the Borg...).

Calvin and Hobbes summed this one up for me when Calvin said something to the effect of "Sometimes i think the biggest evidence that there is intellegent life in outer space is the fact that they have not contacted us"

Calvin and Hobbes is great :)

yeah could be.
I think there could be something out there because very star is ment to be another sun,most of them bigger than ours and some of them burnt out long ago but still visable to us due to being so far away that the light is still traveling here.Or something like that.
Anyway if each star has planets around it like ours does then that's a lot of odds for, because there's a lot of stars up there.
Just in case you wondered,I didn't get any sleep last night and spent the whole time on me deak looking up.

That reminds me of the movie "Contact" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118884/) with Jodie Foster. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it, one of my favourite movies. Just reading a review of it on that page and it says:

"What it does do well is capture the fight between religion and science in this area - both come off equally well and it was well done that the film didn't slant too much in favour of either. The politics and religious zealotry is given a bit of a pushing - but the good thing is; it never actually felt unlikely!"

So maybe it's more relevant to this thread than I initially realised?

Motu
23rd July 2004, 20:46
......We have animals on this planet put here for our use

sad,I hope you don't really beleive that....

Gixxer 4 ever
23rd July 2004, 20:59
sad,I hope you don't really beleive that.... What ? You don't eat meat??? :spudwhat: Ride horses muster sheep and cattle with dogs???? Run possums over?? What are they for then?? :eek:

MadDuck
23rd July 2004, 21:38
I think that will depend on how you define intelligent

now theres a thread topic! Define intelligence or intelligent life........ :blah:

greenhorn
26th July 2004, 08:12
now theres a thread topic! Define intelligence or intelligent life........ :blah:

Intelligent: Someone who does not watch reality t.v

greenhorn
26th July 2004, 08:19
Intellegent: Someone who thinks a manned space flight to the sun would not be a good idea.

Actually i think there are quite a few definitions of intellegent when you think about it.

Intellegent: Someone who knows how to spell intelligent.

Intelligent: Someone with the capacity to imagine Thats a bollocksy definition i've heard which naturally raises the question... Imagine if you couldnt imagine?
Imagine if you couldnt imagine that you couldnt imagine?
Imagine if you couldnt imagine that you couldnt imagine that you couldnt imagine
Imagine if you couldnt imagind that you couldnt imagine that you couldnt imagine that you couldnt imagine
Imagind if you couldnt ... you get the idea

Intelligent: Someone who does not go by the sign in name of Greenhorn

greenhorn
26th July 2004, 09:48
Hey i just thought of another one...

Intelligent: Someone who prefers marmite to vegemite, cocoa pops to rice bubbles.

I am not influenced to drink average quality beer by an old worn out advertising campaign designed to appeal to weak minded individuals who by a lack of any real brain stimulation give proof to the saying that sarcasm is the lowes form of wit.

Yeah right.

greenhorn
26th July 2004, 10:01
More on the definition of intelligence...

Anyone who is a fan of Star Trek, Red Dwarf and The Young Ones

In case you havent noticed i have way too much time on my hands at the moment.

Mongoose
26th July 2004, 10:19

I am afraid that after reading and re-reading this thread a search for inteligence would be futile, very few references to bikes boobs tits or other body parts(select your own preference) and even less mention of intelegent brain power. :thud:
Although some have hit it on the head by quoting Calvin and Hobbes, now tha was real research! :2thumbsup

greenhorn
26th July 2004, 10:26
The fact that Calvin and Hobbes "exist" proves intelligent life must exist.

The Far Side also proves intelligent lifes exists, mostly its the domain of cows.

Someone mentioned that film Contact a few replies ago... saw that. If there ever was someone to be chosen to go visit alien life (as per the movie) then Gary Larson (author of the Far Side) would be a no brainer as the person who should go.

Mongoose
26th July 2004, 10:28
The fact that Calvin and Hobbes "exist" proves intelligent life must exist.

The Far Side also proves intelligent lifes exists, mostly its the domain of cows.

Someone mentioned that film Contact a few replies ago... saw that. If there ever was someone to be chosen to go visit alien life (as per the movie) then Gary Larson (author of the Far Side) would be a no brainer as the person who should go.

I am sure that Gary Larson works out of a padded room and is passed blunt crayons and paper thru a slot in the door. :D

greenhorn
26th July 2004, 10:37
I am sure that Gary Larson works out of a padded room and is passed blunt crayons and paper thru a slot in the door. :D

Well done Mongoose! The best definition of intelligence yet!! :2thumbsup

Drunken Monkey
26th July 2004, 10:48

If it weren't for the dark ages, we could've had a man on the moon in the 15th century - we've had one 500 year set back on our technology, what's to say we haven't had more technological set backs. Of course, if you think we've only been on this planet for 6558 years, then you may disagree,

On the other side, I personally find it insulting to the intelligence/engineering skills of the human race when people point out that things like the Pyramids (Egyptian on size or South American on astronomical accuracy, take your pick) were too complex to be built by man and therefore must've been built by aliens... I somewhat feel that goes back to point 1 = technologies have been lost before, and despite what we often feel is a general lack of common sense in a population, 'primitive' humans were often smarter than modern people give them credit for.

Jackrat
26th July 2004, 15:57
If it weren't for the dark ages, we could've had a man on the moon in the 15th century - we've had one 500 year set back on our technology, what's to say we haven't had more technological set backs. Of course, if you think we've only been on this planet for 6558 years, then you may disagree,

On the other side, I personally find it insulting to the intelligence/engineering skills of the human race when people point out that things like the Pyramids (Egyptian on size or South American on astronomical accuracy, take your pick) were too complex to be built by man and therefore must've been built by aliens... I somewhat feel that goes back to point 1 = technologies have been lost before, and despite what we often feel is a general lack of common sense in a population, 'primitive' humans were often smarter than modern people give them credit for.

Interesting,I have a mate who is from very rigid RC family.
He spends way to much time bleating about the Catholic Church,mainly to spite his old folks, but that's not the point,what is,is that he claims the RC church has held back human development by about 500 years.
When he first said that, I said take a look at the pollution and destruction that moden man has inflicted on the planet and ask if that's really such a bad thing? Like you, I belive things have been lost from other civilisations that we have no idea of today.
It's an interesting world for sure.

What?
26th July 2004, 19:55
I don't believe in anything.
Don't believe in gods. Don't believe in devils.
Don't believe there's life on other planets.
Don't believe there isn't.
:ar15: <<== Don't believe this Uzi just went off in my hand...

greenhorn
27th July 2004, 07:59
I don't believe in anything.
Don't believe in gods. Don't believe in devils.
Don't believe there's life on other planets.
Don't believe there isn't.

I believe that makes you whats called an "agnostic"
I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but basically it refers to someone who does not believe or disbelieve, they simply refuse to form an opinion one way or the other because they think it is all unprovable anyway.

I didnt believe in television untill i went to a mates house and sure enough he had one sitting right there in his living room :killingme

What?
28th July 2004, 07:48
I believe that makes you whats called an "agnostic"
Nah... it makes me a shit stirrer

matthewt
28th July 2004, 09:03

Don't believe the devil, I don't believe his book, But the truth is not the same, Without the lies he made up .....

What?
28th July 2004, 18:57
That was easy. Can you guess who said "Of course, I don't believe in anything"?