PDA

View Full Version : Ticking sound - exup valve?

bert_is_evil
22nd December 2006, 08:30
My ace has been making a ticking sound and I'm not sure now if it always has and I've only just become aware of it or not. I've read that a "tappety" sound is made by the exup valve flapping but I'm not sure if this is a tappety sound or not - any suggestions? Should I rush her off to bike hospital or just chill out and stop coddling her?

Crisis management
22nd December 2006, 09:01
I don't know that bike so can't comment on the source but it's surprising how many new sounds you can hear on a bike the longer you have it.
My policy is: If it runs well and doesn't sound like somethings looking for a way out of the motor then ignore it!

If it concerns you (genuinely) either use a stethoscope to track down the source or the old faithful screw driver handle against your ear, tip against the motor. Surprising how easily you can locate the source.
Unfortunately you then have to decide what to do about it.....

Good luck! :shit:

crash harry
29th December 2006, 15:57
A rattley exup valve should be easy to diagnose, they're down under the bike in the exhaust, should be able to get your ear down there. If you can push on the end of the shaft (where the cable attaches) with a screwdriver or something and it stops rattling then thats your problem - nothing really to worry about.

Phils Motorcycles
29th December 2006, 17:03
Does the same as my 750 EXUP I'd say. The actuator isn't working so the valve stays in the same position and rattles around at idle.