PDA

View Full Version : Some freeish road ride gear

Firefight
22nd December 2006, 09:47
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, no doubt I'll get a virtual kick up the arse (rep) from the mods if it's wrong.

Anyway If there are any broken arse low income riders out there that are after some safety gear, this may be of interst to you, I guess blowing all your student loan on the bike has left you with no money for safety gear :angry: . so rather than be a further drain on the tax payers as you recover from your minor off at low speed, here's a chance to do the right thing.

I have an assortment of gear which I am happy to give away,(some new and un-used, some not) well when I say give away I would ask that you make a small donation(whatever you can afford) to "SpankMe" to help him with the site costs.

Gear available... "Progrip " back brace thingy, assorted race gloves, road helmets, some shit old boots and some other odds and ends..
To make it go further it would be cool if I gave one item per person.

I can,t be fucked putting up a full description of it all, pm me and tell me what your after (but not your fucken life story:whocares: ),and your size etc, I will not be arranging freight around the bloody country, this offer is for Jaffas and the decent people of North Waikato/Franklin only.

F/F

MotoGirl
22nd December 2006, 10:11
I have a pair of size 38 Gaerne boots I'm happy to give away as they're taking up room :angry: They're three years old and in reasonable condition - cost about $400 when I bought them.
PM me if interested and I'm sure we can work something out for postage/collection etc.

ManDownUnder
22nd December 2006, 10:21
skidmark might be in need of some. I know he's not too flushed for funds at the mo and is keen on riding.

klingon
22nd December 2006, 10:46
Hmmm... another option might be to make some of this stuff available for newbies/pillions to borrow until they can get their own gear? We could set up a kind of gear-bank where people can borrow it for a while until they decide if the biking experience is for them or not. Then they get their own gear and return the borrowed gear to the bank.

I have a couple of shelves in the garage that could be used for this cause. I live in Mt Albert and work in the city so fairly central for the swapping thing.

Will send PMs to those concerned and see if this is still within their idea of what they wanted to achieve...

vifferman
22nd December 2006, 10:51
Hmmm... another option might be to make some of this stuff available for newbies/pillions to borrow until they can get their own gear? We could set up a kind of gear-bank where people can borrow it for a while until they decide if the biking experience is for them or not. Then they get their own gear and return the borrowed gear to the bank. .
Lets organise this properly - this has come up at least once before, and it's an excellent idea. I have some worn but serrviceable gear to give away, and also have a set of near-new vaccuum gauges for carb synching I can 'hire out' to people (with or without personal assistance), proceeds to SpankMe or whatever.

Can we pick this up again in a couple of weeks? I'll be away till Jan 1st.

MotoGirl
22nd December 2006, 10:53
We could set up a kind of gear-bank where people can borrow it for a while until they decide if the biking experience is for them or not.

This sounds like a great idea - I'm so pleased that people really consider safety to be so important, and want to share their lessons learnt with more inexperienced riders. :rockon:

I think I'll head home and see what else I have to give away.

MotoGirl
22nd December 2006, 10:55
We really need to think this through - if gear is a "loaner" until you get your own gear, it isn't an incentive to go buy your own gear when you can wear someone else's for free!

I'm sure someone will have a creative solution for this. Maybe restrict the amount of time someone can loan the item? But then, what happens to the gear if the loanee disappears from the face of the earth?

sAsLEX
22nd December 2006, 11:00
We really need to think this through - if gear is a "loaner" until you get your own gear, it isn't an incentive to go buy your own gear when you can wear someone else's for free!

I'm sure someone will have a creative solution for this.

A bomb in them that blows up if they haven't returned them within three months?

placidfemme
22nd December 2006, 11:10
I think the "loan" idea is good, but potentially has a lot of flaws (ie not buying thier own gear because of free use of someone elses), also the people involved in storing and keeping track of said gear are getting themselves into a lenghtly process that could prove to be difficult to keep track of.

Personally I believe in the "Pass it forward" type approach... give someone who needs the gear, the gear no strings attached. They will eventually upgrade to new gear in due time, and when they do they can pass on the old gear and so forth...

I've already given away two helmets and two pairs of gloves, right now I'm not upgrading any of my gear... so it'll be a while until I can pass on some more gear...

Firefight
22nd December 2006, 11:53
not wishing to pour cold water on what you guys are wanting to do,
sounds a good idea,

perhaps you can start your own thread and work out the details as you see fit, I prefer to stick with my original idea. (no offence intened)

F/F

MotoGirl
22nd December 2006, 13:20
not wishing to pour cold water on what you guys are wanting to do,
sounds a good idea,

perhaps you can start your own thread and work out the details as you see fit, I prefer to stick with my original idea. (no offence intened)

F/F
Point taken - we shouldn't take anything away from your kind gesture!

ManDownUnder
22nd December 2006, 13:29
...... bump ....

Firefight
22nd December 2006, 14:59
is gone pending, a visit from its new owner to try for size..

F/F

klingon
22nd December 2006, 15:07
Yep, fair enough and I certainly didn't mean to hijack this thread.

As a pillion before I got my own bike, I was lucky enough to be able to buy my gear gradually, and was also leant some by a kind soul on KB until I could afford my own. But as a newbie I definitely don't have any gear I'm not using (yet).

Good on you folks who are giving away your old gear - and Merry Xmas to you all! :sunny:

R6_kid
22nd December 2006, 18:45
good on ya F/F, was your generosity that got me into road riding properly when you gave me those boots back in the day. Passed them on to another newbie when i found the mullah to buy my own, hopefully the same will happen with this gear if it doesnt get introduced to the tarmac before hand!