PDA

View Full Version : Shineray?

svs
22nd December 2006, 16:37
OK. I know it's a cheap and cheerful bike, but has anyone got and first hand comments on these chinese imports?

http://www.shineray.co.nz

I mean, if I can get a brand new 200cc mx bike for less than $2700, then is it worth it? or is it better going for an old, abused model from a known jap source?

cowpoos
22nd December 2006, 17:05
spend another 1300 and get a second hand klx300r or god forbid even a xr250 second hand

those bikes just don't cope with anything other than the most basic riders...I demo ed one...and blew both front fork seals and bottomed out the rear shock really fuckin hard doing a tiny lil drop off down a bank...the motor maybe good but the build quality and equipment is crappy!!

faithrider
22nd December 2006, 17:13
Hey ya I was thinking the same thing before I bought my bike. I had a blast on a Shineray 175cc MX bike. For me seemed a little sluggish and suspension was quit soft for me and im only 5'7 70kgs. The 200cc mite be a little bit better?. One of the major problems on these is the CDI's seem to go(chinese bikes in general). As for looks these look mint as. Performance is soso.
With Shineray you are buying the better quality of the chinese bikes, but at the end of the day you are still buying a chinese bike.
If you put another grand into it you can get your hands on a pretty nice Jap bike 125/250 2stroke or 4stroker.
You just gotta wonder how long these chinese bikes are gonna hold together for. If you get a waranty with these give it a go if it dies take it back if not you got a pretty good buy.
I saved for a jap bike kx125(04) goes hard.

dammad1
22nd December 2006, 18:13
you would be setting your self up for dissapointment if you went down that path. If you've got $2700 you should be able to find yourself a descent second hand jap bike, maybe like a mid 90's KDX etc that will out perform the shineray in every way.

svs
22nd December 2006, 19:02
thanks everyone. that's just the info i was after. will start looking at older second hand stuff.

cowpoos
22nd December 2006, 19:05
might have a cheap KLX300r forsale shortly if your keen... year and 4 months old.... let me know if your interested....I'll even show you how to use it on new years ;)

zeRax
22nd December 2006, 19:48
how cheap cowpoos ;>?

svs
22nd December 2006, 21:09
maybe. but if it's been ridden like your GSXR ..... ;)

and i'm still not riding much yet - plenty of time to think about what I could be doing

SwanTiger
23rd December 2006, 00:05
Without owning one, I think that they are value for money depending on what you expect to get out of them.

Ultimately you should know what you want to do on a bike and find one that best matches those requirements as opposed to financial limitations or in this case financial 'incentive'.

nigelp
23rd December 2006, 07:32
I own a Marshin Cheetah :scooter: , they are very similar to the Shineray (same 200cc motors). They are not what you would call hard core off road bikes, but they are ok for the average to easy trail rides as long as you dont try and push it too hard! I managed to bottom out my suspension last weekend about 5 times at the local trail event but still had a blast. They are cheaply made, and as a result you will find yourself replacing bolts that rattle loose (if you get one take the whole thing apart and loc-tite everything you can screw!) and the lack of power (they are broadly based on the XR200 motor with electric leg).

If you want something to go fast off road then steer clear, but if you want something to exlore the backblocks at a medium pace and you are prepared to get your hands dirty then they are fine, and cheap!!!

FlangMasterJ
23rd December 2006, 15:22
Anyone notice the large KTM SMR pic as the header to their website?