PDA

View Full Version : Nicko - Triumph 675 Race Update

nicko
23rd December 2006, 23:47
Hi guys,

Back in business! After weeks/months of preparation she's finally ready! Wanganui is going to be my first race meeting since breaking my arm at Manfield in September. The wrist is still giving me a heap of grief so don't know how I'm going to handle the bumpiness of Wanganui but reckon I'll best just strap it up & take a harden up pill.

Going to be a busy few weeks as I'll be racing: Wanganui, Taupo on the 31st Dec, Nelson 2nd Jan, all South Island/North Island national rounds & Paeroa. Thanks to Frosty I'll be heading down South with him so will make it to all national meets (Frosty's heading off early after Taupo so if anyone's heading from Taupo to Nelson on the 1st & has a spare seat let me know). Bit gutted the sound of thunder meeting clashes with the national round at Manfield so gonna miss that one.

Anyway, hope to see a few of you at Wanganui. Pic attached of the girl in her new paintjob.

Big thanks go out to all those who have helped me get to this point.....Fredco Motors (thanks Craig), AMPS (thanks Patrick/Greg/Shane/Gav/Ray & co), Triumph NZ, Waikato Sandblasting 0800 SANDBLAST, Protecta Insurance, Corsa dismantlers, Castrol, Metzeler, Ohlins, SDV, FFM, Forma, Woodcraft, Vesrah, Harris Pipes (thanks Shaun Harris), Dave Elgar, Bernie Johnstone & everyone else I've fogotten to mention! :Punk:

Cheers,
Nicko

MattRSK
24th December 2006, 00:40
See ya there Nicko.

- Matt

bluninja
24th December 2006, 01:05
Nice bike !!! Good luck with the coming races.

White trash
24th December 2006, 07:12
That is the BEST looking race bike I've seen in a loooong time. Well done mate.

And as a "proper" mate would, I'm offering to ride it for ya at Wanga's, just so your wrist has a little more healing time.

You're welcome :D

shafty
24th December 2006, 07:19
Good luck Dude, N I C E bike - that pic is officially todays background on my PC!

Crasherfromwayback
24th December 2006, 07:33
That is the BEST looking race bike I've seen in a loooong time. Well done mate.

And as a "proper" mate would, I'm offering to ride it for ya at Wanga's, just so your wrist has a little more healing time.

You're welcome :D

I agree with WT on how good your bike looks mate....10 outta 10 for presentation!

Best of luck for your race meets!

WT....I think your wrist may well need a 'rest' too mate.....

I know the fast way (to the hospital) round Wanganui....:Punk:

White trash
24th December 2006, 07:36
WT....I think your wrist may well need a 'rest' too mate.....

Yeah, well, Riff raffs wrist is a bit stuffed due to a work injury and...ummmm, well, someone's gotta do it don't they.

Crasherfromwayback
24th December 2006, 07:38
Yeah, well, Riff raffs wrist is a bit stuffed due to a work injury and...ummmm, well, someone's gotta do it don't they.

As we all know mate...there cums a time when we've all gotta take matters into our own hands...:innocent:

Eyetie
24th December 2006, 08:47
Bike looks the bizzo, Nick.
Will catch up with you are back in Auckland..
Good luck!, Give me a call when your back so I can talk to you regarding Paeroa.
Cheers Ray.

Robbo
24th December 2006, 08:49
Good Luck Nicko. Nice to see a Trumpy amongst the Jappas.
I will be trackside on Tuesday.

Cheers

bugjuice
24th December 2006, 09:04
that's fukin sexy mate.. don't drop it any more, k..?
good luck!!! :yeah:

GSVR
24th December 2006, 16:59
Be great to see you racing at Wanganui. The Truimph should be awesome there with that bit of extra torque.

Frosty must be busy as he's been fairly quiet on here. Is he doing Wanganui?

All the best for the nats. The 600's are going to be hotly contested this year with so many good riders anyone could take the title.

Go Nicko

Kickaha
24th December 2006, 17:18
Frosty must be busy as he's been fairly quiet on here. Is he doing Wanganui?

no he isn't he's doing Taupo on the 30/31st and the Nelson street race on the way to Teretonga to get an arse kicking :lol:

It'll be interesting to see how Nicko stacks up against the other 675 race bikes down here

k14
24th December 2006, 18:05
no he isn't he's doing Taupo on the 30/31st and the Nelson street race on the way to Teretonga to get an arse kicking :lol:

It'll be interesting to see how Nicko stacks up against the other 675 race bikes down here
He'll be only stacking up against one other apparantly. Glen has pussied out, too slow apparantly...

johnsv650
24th December 2006, 18:14
hi nicko,
good luck on roads/ races,
would a triumph 675 wheel fit into a daytona 650?

GSVR
24th December 2006, 18:19

Sounds like a bit of healthy north/south rivalry here. My moneys on Nicko even recovering from injury.

Got any odds?

SuperDave
24th December 2006, 18:30
Bike looks sweet - good luck for the racing.

Kickaha
24th December 2006, 19:29
He'll be only stacking up against one other apparantly. Glen has pussied out, too slow apparantly...

The cock broke his foot and he wont get it looked at, you should offer to ride it for him

Indiana_Jones
24th December 2006, 20:18
Sweet, a racing 675, I wanna see this baby in action :D

Maybe I'll race a Triumph one day......one day lol

-Indy

svs
24th December 2006, 21:31
it's looking good. makes me want one even more.

see you at wangas nick

Sparky Bills
24th December 2006, 22:34
As everyone else has said.
Its looking real good mate. But you always have good looking racebikes, so wouldnt expect anything else.

See you at Wanga's!

Cleve
26th December 2006, 07:28
Looking good Nick. All the best and see you at a few rounds this summer...

saul
26th December 2006, 08:00
Brilliant looking machine mate, even my wife commented:gob: Good luck and make sure you look after your body:yes:

Two Smoker
26th December 2006, 10:42
See you at the nationals :stoogie: ...

Bike looks mint!!!

Sketchy_Racer
26th December 2006, 17:38
So,,,,

how did it go??

Brett
26th December 2006, 19:38
Hey Nicko, I am the dude from KB who test rode ur gsxr, and u showed me this bike the day i ws over.
Mate, it has certainlybeen turned into one of the nicest rice bikes i have seen in yonks. Bloody good effort.

HDTboy
27th December 2006, 16:59
See you at the North Island rounds man.

gaza
28th December 2006, 10:46
Hi Nicko, great to see you at wanganui, I've attached a couple of pics. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Two Smoker
28th December 2006, 15:56
Nicko, you did awesome :niceone: Gutted to hear about the problems with your wrist still... Need to go visit Mrs. Palmer and her five daughters a bit more often???

nicko
29th December 2006, 23:04
Hi guys,

Cheers for the support, Wanganui was definitely a testing ground for a lot of reasons. Was real rusty in the practice as hadn't been on the bike for 3 months and there were a few changes made since then. The setup that felt quite good at Manfield wasn't quite as suited to Wanganui, I was having issues with the bumps and was getting some nasty bottoming out mid-corner and hitting brakes under bumps but other than winding on a bit of compression on the front decided to leave the rest as is for the day.

Qualified 12th in F2 & 5th in BEARS. The first F2 race I ended up same as I qualified, in 12th, this race was rerun due to crash in first race. BEARS first race and I got an average start and got stuck behind Josh McFarlane (the Aussie on the V-twin Aprilia motard). Was quite a fun race just to watch him from where I was and he proved quite hard to pass as he was sideways for most of the track! By this stage I realised my wrist was still quite weak and became pretty tender after 4 laps or so, because of this I opted to sit out the first Robert Holden heat, gave me a chance to watch this race from the sideline. Second F2 race was slightly better than the first finishing in 11th. 2nd BEARS race I had 2 motards get past me on the first lap (including Josh) but managed to get back past them both and took Peter Tanner on the last lap to finish up 4th, was starting to feel better pushing the bike in this race. I raced in the 2nd Robert Holden heat as wanted to see how I handled the 15 laps, was ready to pull in after 10 laps but stuck it out and was slowing a fair bit on the last 5 to finish up 17th.

So all in all, ok results, happy to come away in one piece and even to just get it all ready for the meeting in the first place. The bike has some great potential & I can't wait to get it onto an actual circuit which will be a little easier on the body. Cheers to everyone that helped on the day & to Phil who drove pretty much all the way back home - most appreciated!

Got 3 race meetings in the next week (Taupo/Nelson/Invercargill) so will be good for working on race fitness & setting up the bike.

Gary - great photos mate, cheers for that!
Johnsv650 - um, front wheel from 675 fits the 600/650 daytona but rear is way different
2smoker - broke my left & I'm right handed & not ambidextrous ;)

Cheers,
Nicko

gaza
30th December 2006, 10:28
Hi guys, gradually getting more photos uploaded to web site, http://www.pbase.com/naki_gaza/wanga_2006,
as Oscar Wilde, "work is the curse of the drinking classes"

k14
30th December 2006, 10:42
Gee gary those photos are awesome, best photos i've ever seen by a kiwi bike photographer. You going to be at manfeild nationals? If so I'll put my order in for some pics now.

bluninja
30th December 2006, 10:44
Nick, congrats on the results.

BTW maybe you do need to swap hands to build up that wrist......if you can't quite get things right with that hand you could always use both hands together............one handed pressups can be tricky on the 'wrong' arm.

Good luck in the next 3 races. Look forward to hearing how you did.