PDA

View Full Version : What 600cc sport/tourer?

granma2
24th December 2006, 09:06
I am looking at getting a 600cc or there abouts as an upgrade from my CB400 v-tech. The problem is that whatever I get will have to be lowered, due to my vertically challenged height.

The v-tech is a great bike but has not such good handling on the open road with cornering.
Therefore I want a bike with good handling and in the $8000.00 range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS I race bucket's (minature road racers) here in Auck's, so am not afraid of
of a little thrill occasionally.

Edbear
24th December 2006, 09:52
Check the Trade site here, I think one of the members was wanting to sell her CBR600 that had been lowered. Not V-tech tho!

ridetwins
24th December 2006, 10:28
can highly recommend an SV650 - either the faired or naked version. Due to the v-twin engine they are narrow and lightweight, so they handle really well, have heaps of torque, and are great for commuting and open roads (the naked is a bit breezy at speed tho!)

I am tall and find that the seat height is a bit low, and the foot pegs are too close to the seat, but its something you get used to, so if you are shorter then they are probably ideal. Im sure there are many other SV owners who will sing their praises too..... have a look on T-Me. there are some K3 models for sale that are in your price range. they are pretty much the same as the new models, but they have a silver frame....

limbimtimwim
24th December 2006, 15:53
What about your CB400's big brother(s)? The Hornet 600 and 900?

Ask Mrs Kendog (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=6129) about her hornet. Her's is lowered and see that seat in her profile picture? It's been thinned out too. Yes, these operations did cost them some money.

James Deuce
24th December 2006, 18:06
900 Hornet yes, 600 Hornet no. The 900 Hornet "works" as a motorcycle where the 600 feels like a loose collection of motorcycle parts, hinged in the middle, and with an engine that deserves better.

Can I be so bold as to suggest that almost invisible over achiever the Suzuki GSX600? You want a '99 one onwards but you should be able to find good, low km examples between $5k and $8k.

I don't know if there are any new ones left, but they were $9995 new this time last year and I owned a '99 one for 6 months and was surprised at how well it did every thing I asked of it.

Very good low speed handling (easy to pull away from the curb feet up and on full lock) all day comfortable and enough power to be fun. Excellent weather protection and fuel economy too.

Zapf
24th December 2006, 18:08
SV's will be too tall. I had a CB400 and I know.

But do look at the CB900 Hornet. With a lowering shock it will be a very good bike.

granma2
25th December 2006, 07:15
Thank you for the great feed back everyone. All comments have been carefully considered. I will have a look and test ride as many of the bikes mentioned as I can. Except maybe the 600 Hornet! The gsx 600 is certainly on my list of look for. But.....on the other hand I will have to share it with my partner on track days...hmmm. Oh hell why not.

Does anyone have a Honda CBR600? What are they like for perfomance compared with an SV or GSX.

James Deuce
25th December 2006, 07:33
Any CBR600 from 1987 on will comfortably "deal" to any GSX600, Hornet 600, or SV650, given the same rider having a go on each one.

However the GSX is oil/air cooled so no water cooling system to worry about, has 80% of the handling and "go", and is easier on tyres and petrol than a CBR, so cost of ownership is lower. I used to get 300-330km out of a tank when commuting on the GSX, and had no trouble keeping up with more sporting tackle when necessary - to a point.

A GSX600 is a lot more comfortable when doing long distance than a CBR or a Hornet with really good weather protection, a fuel gauge, and as already mentioned, good range.

The SV650 naked has a more upright riding position than the faired SV and could be considered more of a sport tourer if you add a screen and a pack rack.

For some reason Suzuki put slightly better suspension on the GSX than the SV, and every Hornet 600 I tried was squidgy. The CBR's supension from '92 on is massively superior to any of the other bikes mentioned, provided it is a low KM example, late model, or has had the suspension reconditioned at some point if it is a higher kms version.

Don't forget the Bandit 600. It has less power than the GSX600, but many of the same advantages and some people reckon it has more character.

granma2
25th December 2006, 18:03
Thanks Jim2, real helpful advice, I feel a real leaning towards the GSX or the CBR. Hopefully next week I will be test riding a couple. My partner is on holiday so it is his job to search them out and then ride them to my work, so I can test ride them.
See ladies...he's well trained aye!! LOL

Zapf
26th December 2006, 10:58
if you are not going for the top speed thing, you'll find that a CB900 Hornet easy to ride yet being able to reel in most those 600cc bikes. Plus if you are into givi luggages you can get hard luggage racks and cases for the CB900 Hornet. The same luggage is also available on the SV, but the 900 Hornet is a par above the SV is the performance department.

Friendly and linear power delivery of the Hornet makes it a very good steed. I have even put Motorcross bars on mine so I can throw it around town and country road corners. For me... having owned CB400 / SV650's and the CB900. I would say the CB900 is the best bike at sub 130kmh speeds.

James Deuce
26th December 2006, 11:10
Zapf, you're obsessed, and ignoring the price cap. ;)

Next you'll be telling granma that you can't travel anywhere in NZ without a tablet and a GPS unit.

Zapf
26th December 2006, 14:13
Zapf, you're obsessed, and ignoring the price cap. ;)

Next you'll be telling granma that you can't travel anywhere in NZ without a tablet and a GPS unit.

ah so right so right.... obsessed I am :P Granma.... want to buy my Hornet 900 for 8k? (yes I believe it is for sale soon)

Of course I won't travel NZ without a stone Tablet and Grumpy Poodle Sensor... those Poodle are dangerous.

BTW next time I might be seeing you on a black bird :)

elle-f
26th December 2006, 15:42
Ya can't go past a 1986 Yamaha Radian 600 - or Yamaha YX600 as they are also known!

Will
30th December 2006, 22:34
How are you goin'with the big decision?

I ride a CBR6oo, lowered. Some might say that they are a boring bike because they handle so well. There are no "character" traits in this bike. Very reliable and yet can be very placid if you are in a quiet frame of mind. :innocent:
And when you want to go...... well, it can kick arse, you just have to change down a gear ... or 2.:gob:

Bob
31st December 2006, 03:14
I think there are reviews of pretty much all the contender machines in the following:

This is the Bikes Index page of Motobke.co.uk (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/bikes.htm)

The 600 Hornet is also reviewed (sits back and waits for the abuse!), by an owner who has spent a awful lot of money personalising her bike.

Also, don't discount the ER-6f - I've covered some decent miles on my one and it is comfortable enough over distance. Yes, there is a review of it on the site...

Have a look through and hopefully some of the words of wisdom will help your decision.

Storm_
2nd January 2007, 08:45
My thoughts on it . . .
Depends how tall you are. I had my SV seat lowered, cost $50 and was well worth it. The seat still looks great and is comfortable as. I'm 5'2", works for me can get my foot just about flat on the ground now. So don't discount the SV!

Zapf
2nd January 2007, 21:14
My thoughts on it . . .
Depends how tall you are. I had my SV seat lowered, cost $50 and was well worth it. The seat still looks great and is comfortable as. I'm 5'2", works for me can get my just about flat on the ground now. So don't discount the SV!

true. I believe the 03+ SV's are taller no?

Bonez
3rd January 2007, 06:56
The v-tech is a great bike but has not such good handling on the open road with cornering.
Do not quite understand? I would have thought they'd be quite nimble.
Basicly you can't go wrong with any 600/650 class bike. Tend to agree with Jim2s comment about the GSX600s if cowboyz heap of shit is anything to go by.

Storm_
3rd January 2007, 07:40
true. I believe the 03+ SV's are taller no?

The 02 seat height is 805 and the 03+ is 800. So easy to get lower, I wouldn't let the seat height put me off.

granma2
6th January 2007, 15:01
I took careful consideration of all the bikes mentioned. Thank you for all your help and advice. Some bikes were just to tall (Hornet and SV ) or too powerful for me.
After test rides I could see myself getting a few too many tickets on the R6 and the GSXR (although my partner loved them).
So I have bought a 1991 CBR 600F. I'm sorry but it was love at first sight.. and then i rode it....I had to have it.
It has only done 20,000 miles and is in perfect condition for its age.
I got it from 'Holeshot' this mornining and received fantastic service.
So if you see a beautiful red and white bike flying past you on the road...it might be me. :done:

Now I just got to get a faster bucket for racing. I just got to get my man to build it!!!!!

enigma51
6th January 2007, 15:22
Not a bad choice :yes: even though it is a honda :zzzz:

I have read in mag once that they reckon the cbr600f is better than the cbr 600r :dodge:

granma2
6th January 2007, 15:32
yep well the bike was in my price range and I had to make a choice asap.

I did like all the others, and if i won lotto, I would have one of each.

davereid
6th January 2007, 16:23
Nice bike. I think the 600 class is the future. In fact I'm selling my HD, looking for a 600. Like the Kawaka ER6F, suit an old fella like me - anyone ridden one ? what do they go like ?

Bob
6th January 2007, 23:24
Nice bike. I think the 600 class is the future. In fact I'm selling my HD, looking for a 600. Like the Kawaka ER6F, suit an old fella like me - anyone ridden one ? what do they go like ?

Funny you should ask - one 1,000 mile review coming right up! (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/2006er6f.htm)

Now done just over 4,000 miles - and still love it to bits (got to go and pick it up from the 4,000 mile service in a minute).

davereid
7th January 2007, 08:26
Yeah, I've pretty much made up my mind. Sold the FZr and got the HD on tardme, soon as it goes I'll be looking around the Kawaka dealer to find the best deal. Is yours deristricted ie not got the flash Catalytic converter ? Or do they not ship the NZ ones with that?

Bob
7th January 2007, 09:18
Yeah, I've pretty much made up my mind. Sold the FZr and got the HD on tardme, soon as it goes I'll be looking around the Kawaka dealer to find the best deal. Is yours deristricted ie not got the flash Catalytic converter ? Or do they not ship the NZ ones with that?

I had to think about what you were saying there for a moment!

Derestricted over here in the UK means that it was limited to 33bhp until you're allowed unlimited capacity bikes (two years after passing your full test).

Mine is completely standard (take a look at the photos and you'll see it has the low-slung, underbelly exhaust). I know the long-term test-machine they had at Bike magazine had the exhaust replaced - but that seemed to be more aesthetic than releasing much in the way of horses. If you take a look at this link (http://www.bikemagazine.co.uk/nav?page=bikemagazine.contentspage&fixture_page=5305134&resource=5305134&view_resource=5305134), you will see what they did to the bike - scroll from the bottom of the page upwards.

I didn't think they went out from the factory to anywhere without the exhaust mine has - that is part of what makes it one of the relatively few bikes out there that pass the latest - and most stringent yet - emissions regulations. The bike makes a decent sound with the standard exhuast to be honest. So if you want to improve it, from what I've read upgrade the suspension, don't throw money away on an expensive end can.

granma2
10th January 2007, 17:56
I cant post 2 lots of photo's in two different threads so have put them on Sports/Tourer site.
I took my bike out up 16 Sunday morning for a quick ride,almost to Kaukapakapa and then back through Helensville.
It is such an easy bike to ride. After the baby Honda I had this bike says "corners, what are those", after the last two days "wet road, what's that!! :yes: