PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a newbie tourer

steved
24th December 2006, 16:46
Hi all

I have recently become interested in touring and started doing a couple of bigger trips. One of the main problem I have with distance is a strong pain in the back of my right shoulder that builds during the day, despite stretching as much as possible. This is limiting me to 70-90km stints before a break is necessary (50-60km with pillion). Does anyone know how I could alleviate/diagnose the cause of this pain?

Many thanks

Ixion
24th December 2006, 17:22
Different bike, or harden up.Touring on a race bike is as logical as racing on a tourer.

steved
24th December 2006, 17:27
Different bike, or harden up.Touring on a race bike is as logical as racing on a tourer.
Hey hey hey, it's a 'comfortable' sports bike :dodge:
It's got a pack-rack and everything. :woohoo:

Finn
24th December 2006, 17:28
Tip 1: Buy a Touring Bike
Tip 2: Go see a Physio

Mom
24th December 2006, 17:40
Hey hey hey, it's a 'comfortable' sports bike. It's got a pack-rack and everything. :woohoo:

Comfortable sprots bike?.......not sure they exist.........:yes:

Jantar
24th December 2006, 17:43
Hi all

I have recently become interested in touring and started doing a couple of bigger trips. One of the main problem I have with distance is a strong pain in the back of my right shoulder that builds during the day, despite stretching as much as possible. This is limiting me to 70-90km stints before a break is necessary (50-60km with pillion). Does anyone know how I could alleviate/diagnose the cause of this pain?

Many thanks

Hey hey hey, it's a 'comfortable' sports bike. It's got a pack-rack and everything. :woohoo:

I see a slight touch of contradiction here. If it is as comfortable as you claim then it isn't the bike that's causing your shoulder pain. Try borrowing a bike with a more upright seating position and see if that helps. Another possible solution is to ride faster so that the airflow takes your weight off your arms and shoulder.

James Deuce
24th December 2006, 18:10
Have you setup your levers so you don't have to lift your hands to use them? That can cause everything from wrist to back pain.

steved
24th December 2006, 18:30
Comfortable sprots bike?.......not sure they exist.........:yes:
Yeah, you're not wrong. With more touring experience it is getting better, but the shoulder is the persistant annoyance.

madmal64
24th December 2006, 18:40
Try these http://www.helibars.com/
Bloody good for long touring. I can reccomend them I used the on my RF900.
As for the shoulder pain I would suggest an osteopath. My one sorted me out in 1 visit after an off that I had without injury. I found out I was slightly out of whack.
Also try build up the distance between stops if you are 70 - 80 ks try for 100.

Big Dog
24th December 2006, 22:48
Have you setup your levers so you don't have to lift your hands to use them? That can cause everything from wrist to back pain.

Adjusting the levers so that your hand is level when on them makes a world of difference.
Also avoid the temptation to carry a second pack on your back.

Have you had any preexisting pain in your shoulders?
If not you may have a throttle that is too slack and causing you to take an less than natural position. if your engine speed already changes with the smallest of movements you may need to grip it further round or rotate your throttle on the clip on.

If you had no pain from a former injury this will be something that proper fettling will resolve.

Zapf
26th December 2006, 23:38
goto Motomail and ask them to show you a throtto boss thing. Black rubber thing that you loop around your throtto grip. makes using them hell of a lot easier.

NighthawkNZ
26th December 2006, 23:58
You could see if the a full cruise control for your make and model or if the universal kit will work.

http://www.mccruise.com

Lou Girardin
27th December 2006, 06:02
A few trips will get you bike fit. But even then it's an uphill battle with sprotbikes. Get a naked bike.

jafar
29th December 2006, 17:45
The problem you have is that you are riding a sports bike, they were never intended to be anything but a serious hard charging machine. On a race track they are legendary , but on a long trip they are painfull. The riding position is the problem , you are bent over the tank & there is a lot of weight on your wrists & your legs are bent as a jockeys are.While this is great for racing it doesn't work for touring.
The addition of a 'packrack' doesn't alter the fact that the bike is not a tourer. Another fault is that the fairing is deflecting the wind away from you , this means the wind isn't taking the weight of your upper body off your wrists & that will be a part of why your shoulder is aching. I would guess the reason you can ride fewer k's with your pillion is simply because you are going slower with her (him) than you would go on your own , so the issue is a time related one not distance .

Big Dog
29th December 2006, 18:15
I would guess the reason you can ride fewer k's with your pillion is simply because you are going slower with her (him) than you would go on your own , so the issue is a time related one not distance .
Or it could be that with a pillion on he is applying more throttle to get the same speed putting more stress on what is already an uncomfortable position for him.
when 2 up i grab the grip a few degrees further round to compensate.

I don't change my riding style just because 2 up except I look for Bigger gaps in traffic so as not to frighten a nervous pillion.

doc
29th December 2006, 18:44

How does the pack rack make it more comfortable. No bike with the bars the same level as your arse could be comfortable all day. There is no way I could sit on a pack rack for long.

MaxB
30th December 2006, 00:01
Judging by what you say you are quite stuck on the CBR.
So then you have to change the bike to fit you or be prepared to change the bike for another that does.

If you have heaps of money I'd recommend Heli bars, rearsets and a vista cruise control. (and see the doctor).

If not, you could fit Genmar or F1 Engineering bar risers. I have some on the ZX. It is amazing how much difference 20mm makes. It shifts a lot of weight off the wrists.

limbimtimwim
30th December 2006, 01:25
What a load of shit about bagging sports bikes and touring. You are all wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it. I may revise my opinion when I am twice my age.

I have a secret, which I will share in a paragraph or 7.

I rode my RVF400 for two weeks solid and that was fine. I rode my GSXR750 from 6:45 till 23:45 on Thursday and got out of bed at 8am this morning and felt absolutely fine. Actually, I felt the best I have in days. I'm here up past 2am and I still feel chipper. A 1996 CBR600 is like a Goldwing in comparison to the RVF. My elbows touch my knees on that bike.

Before anyone states the obvious; at 25 I am young and flexible. But according to his profile, steved is also a spring chicken and only 29.

Steved, my brilliant intellect and awesome powers of being correct all the time is is that part of the answer for you is to relax. As you ride along, evaluate how you are sitting. Any tense muscles? Alter something to undo those muscles. I have to do this periodically, I catch myself tensing up my right shoulder too and have to 'let it go'. Probably just my subconscious desire to twist that throttle right around to scream the engine makes me tense up my throttle arm a little.

The comments about rotating those levers is a very good one. Also, as a random observation I have noticed, keeping your hands off the levers is very helpful. Just on the bars. Hands naturally curl up a little, the muscles in your hands have an effect on your arm as a whole, fingers stretched out is not natural.

No one mentioned earplugs, this doesn't help your shoulder, but it does help with general mental alertness in the long run. Ask any earplug user, once you have gone to them, you won't go back. I think it is not the noise, it's the air pressure thrumming on your ears that it assists with.

But my biggest secret of all.. And I am sharing this with you now to defend the honour of sporty bikes and their usefulness as serious kilometre eaters is.. (drum roll)...

Brace yourself..

A big tank bag. Put your heavy stuff in it (Keeping weight forward, not hanging over the back lightening your front wheel..) and then put soft things at the top. And then you can lie on it. Seriously, just put your weight on it. You now have a big fat happy pillow to rest yourself on, and little weight on your arms.

Oh yeah, and as others have said, ease yourself into it. I don't know how many tens of thousands of KMs it has taken me to get to this stage.

Jantar
30th December 2006, 01:39
What a load of shit about bagging sports bikes and touring. You are all wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it. I may revise my opinion when I am twice my age......
Maybe you should revise your opinion before you get to twice your age. :dodge:

I can't speak for everyone, but I for one am not bagging sports bikes. I find touring on a sports bike a lot easier than touring on a cruiser or a supposedly fully dressed tourer. However I have ridden sports bikes for most of my life and I know how to let the airflow support my upper body weight. My present bike is not a sports bike and it requires a totally different riding style for long distance rides. It is however a riding style that is more comfortable for many riders.

There are many people who are quite capable of riding sports bikes for short distances and yet they never adapt to long distances at a stretch. For these people a more upright position suits better. Its nothing to do with the bike and its lack of comfort, its simply a matter of riding style. Maybe steved just needs two bikes; a sports bike for those short fast blats, and a sports/tourer for long distance rides.

limbimtimwim
30th December 2006, 01:49
Maybe you should revise your opinion before you get to twice your age. :dodge: No! I am always right! That's the first rule! I am not allowed to revise until I am 50! :)

LOL

Zapf
30th December 2006, 02:00
A big tank bag. Put your heavy stuff in it (Keeping weight forward, not hanging over the back lightening your front wheel..) and then put soft things at the top. And then you can lie on it. Seriously, just put your weight on it. You now have a big fat happy pillow to rest yourself on, and little weight on your arms.

Quite true, and it works. I got that method when I was puttering around the islands on my SV650S by myself. In that way there is not much weight on the arms. And specially when you are touring and have heavy bags on the back of the bike it helps to put more weight on the front.

I have had sports and more upright bikes. E.g CB900 Hornet. And now I am going to Kit a Blackbird out for that duty. More for 2 up with good wind protection and the classic 3 hard boxes.

James Deuce
30th December 2006, 07:46
I beetled all over the country on a succession of increasingly focussed Sports bikes, from an RG250 to an RC30, until I broke my neck and my back.

After I got back into bikes I went down the Sprotsbike route again. I like them a lot. The TRX was just about perfect, only getting painful after about 500kms. The R6 was fine on the open road until I hit a town and then I was almost crying in my helmet by the time even a short 50km/hr section finished.

Sometimes it is necessary to adapt to different machinery, or adapt your machinery. Being uncomfortable can be dangerous.

magicfairy
30th December 2006, 08:32
Not a cure but could help make the ride less miserable - works for me and my partner.
Neurofen plus or some other painkiller / anti-inflammatory (that you have taken before so you know there will be no side effects)
Take some before you set out, to help reduce pain and inflammation from building.
Then maybe again when you need to, or at night to calm things down for next days ride.

In my experience if the pain you have can be cured with panadol then you probably are not in a lot of pain. Get something that helps with inflammation as well - neurofen, aspirin...

And don't more than it says on the box.

James Deuce
30th December 2006, 08:46
Ibuprofen, brufen, neurofen. All very dangerous to take for more than a couple of days at a time. It subtly strips the lining from your stomach and when you get a hint of gastric pain, it's too late and you are already bleeding internally.

Asprin also. It isn't necessarily the amount you take either. The directions on the box are for Joe Average. Ibuprofen/brufen/neurofen can cause respiratory arrest in asthmatics.

More than 4 days of four hourly panadol can put you at risk of liver failure.

I do not recommend prophylactic dosages with over the counter pain relief because most people (not necessarily pointing finger at you Magicfairy) don't respect them and will do double and triple dosages on a whim, not realising the potential lethality. I helped put my self in hospital a couple of months ago by taking Neurofen Plus for 4 days to try and cope with 4 days of a sustained 40C fever. By the time I was vomiting blood it was a bit late to do anything except go to hospital to get opiates and IV fluids.

The most tragic thing I've witnessed is the acquaintance's daughter who took 20 Panadol Gel caps in a typical teenage bid for attention and took 6 weeks to die of liver failure.

It is better to sort out a mechanical fix for an physical issue, such as improving fitness or buying a bike that fits better, or modifying your current ride than it is to mask symptomatology with over the counter pain relief.

One thing I notice with most motorcyclists is that they don't drink nearly enough water, particularly in Summer. You should be drinking a litre or so every 4 hours as a minimum when on the bike. If you go longer than that buy some electrolyte replacing Sports water at the next stop.

Ms Piggy
30th December 2006, 08:55
Tip 2: Go see a Physio

Yeah what he says. I've been touring on my little bike but, if you're in that much pain you should be getting it looked at. :doctor:

magicfairy
30th December 2006, 09:30
Ibuprofen, brufen, neurofen. All very dangerous to take for more than a couple of days at a time. It subtly strips the lining from your stomach and when you get a hint of gastric pain, it's too late and you are already bleeding internally.

Asprin also. It isn't necessarily the amount you take either. The directions on the box are for Joe Average. Ibuprofen/brufen/neurofen can cause respiratory arrest in asthmatics.

More than 4 days of four hourly panadol can put you at risk of liver failure.

I do not recommend prophylactic dosages with over the counter pain relief because most people (not necessarily pointing finger at you Magicfairy) don't respect them and will do double and triple dosages on a whim, not realising the potential lethality. I helped put my self in hospital a couple of months ago by taking Neurofen Plus for 4 days to try and cope with 4 days of a sustained 40C fever. By the time I was vomiting blood it was a bit late to do anything except go to hospital to get opiates and IV fluids.

The most tragic thing I've witnessed is the acquaintance's daughter who took 20 Panadol Gel caps in a typical teenage bid for attention and took 6 weeks to die of liver failure.

Which is why I said "don't take more than stated on the box" both in duration and quantitiy - yes panadol takes out your liver, aspirin your stomach. And I agree not a long term solution. But they have a place.

As a former registered nurse (so I know not to take double / triple doses, and have never put myself or anyone else on hospital due to misuse) the biggest doses of things like panadol I have ever seen given were actually in hospital wards - especially orthopaedic wards.
I find it amazing that thinks like aspirin can be bought with the groceries.

But if you have a days riding ahead of you, and you are / will be in pain, it is too late to change bikes, change plans, change setups, taking some painkillers to get you through will make the day so much happier.

I speak from experience, but it is only a suggestion.

James Deuce
30th December 2006, 09:44
I'd actually drink a lot of water and do a lot of stretches pre and post ride in preference to taking pain relief.

I have, and will continue to do this in future, changed my plans if the pain gets to the point where I'm not enjoying the ride, irrespective of whether or not I have "no" other option.

TLDV8
30th December 2006, 10:42
Besides some kind of medical/physical problem as far as the shoulder,a 1996 motorcycle may have suspension issues by now.
Crap suspension will wear you down if it is beating you to death or aggravate any problem area's that may not show up in normal day to day doing's.

It's horses for courses,some say the TL1000 is uncomfortable but they are poofters and probably in their 20's :laugh: (pt)

I think there has to be something in the Relax thing,especially over longer distances.

MVnut
30th December 2006, 11:10
Under 100km between forced stops.........it's not the bike. Go see a Physio. Alternately you require a much higher 'thresh-hold of pain'.........get married, your TOP will quadruple overnight:dodge:

Mrs Busa Pete
30th December 2006, 12:19
try changing the set up of the bike for longer trips soften up the suspension so the bike does the work not you .try a sheepskin on the seat for comfort

NighthawkNZ
30th December 2006, 12:59
I have gone to Kaikoura and back on the VTR with only fuel stops and was supprised how well I felt once I got there and back... Each person and each bike is different... (as we all know) riding position and styles as with the bike itself... you may find he vtr totally wrong and uncomfortable...

There is some good advise in this thread, from resetting your bars and levers, even to a sheep skin (can give you added comfort and a few extra kms), cruise control both mechanical to fully computerised controlled. Which I have found in the past to be a added value over long distances... (just need to get it for the vtr now... sigh)

The thing with touring is you have to remember you are in it for the long haul its not about speed but about comfort and carrying a load of gear and maybe even 2 up. both should be comfortable not just the rider. If the pillion isnt comfy and jiggling about can destablise the bike maybe in a corner.. which is a bad thing...

However a sports bike is just that a sports bike, not designed for comfort but speed... most of the sports bike extras are usually after thoughts... including a pillion seat. You could try going down the path of a sports/tourer and get the best of both worlds, but you will be lacking the peekyness of a full sports and to missing the full comfort of a tourer... but as stated the best of both worlds

beyond
30th December 2006, 14:22
Lou said:
Get a naked :)

Simple answer: my blue and white GSX1400 that I traded on another GSX1400is waiting on Colemans floor for you right now :)

She's a real good bike and one blast on that and you'll forget about the CBR600 like it was a bad dream. You'll tour all day and maybe all night and you'll do it again the next day as well, BUT: you'll also have heaps of fun at the same time.

NighthawkNZ
30th December 2006, 14:29
Lou said:

:ride: naked females... :yeah:

or ride naked :scratch:

beyond
30th December 2006, 14:46
:ride: naked females... :yeah:

or ride naked :scratch:

Why not both :)

NighthawkNZ
30th December 2006, 14:50
why not indeed... :)

limbimtimwim
30th December 2006, 23:09
Lou said:
Get a naked :)Why is a naked bike better than a faired bike? In reference to touring.

NighthawkNZ
30th December 2006, 23:18
Why is a naked bike better than a faired bike? In reference to touring.

the air pressure when it hits your chest will take most of your body weight... and also you notice your speed more helps to keep it down which hope means less speeding tickets (helps a little...just a little mind you) ;)

Ixion
30th December 2006, 23:25
the air pressure when it hits your chest will take most of your body weight...

This is only true up to around 140/150kph though . After that the effect of the wind pressure on shoulders and neck becomes significant.

Sustained speeds of more than 160kph on a naked bike become very tiring.

jafar
30th December 2006, 23:30
Lou said:

Simple answer: my blue and white GSX1400 that I traded on another GSX1400is waiting on Colemans floor for you right now :)

She's a real good bike and one blast on that and you'll forget about the CBR600 like it was a bad dream. You'll tour all day and maybe all night and you'll do it again the next day as well, BUT: you'll also have heaps of fun at the same time.

Have to agree with you there. :scooter:

NighthawkNZ
30th December 2006, 23:33
Sustained speeds of more than 160kph on a naked bike become very tiring.

true...

makes 10

jafar
30th December 2006, 23:37
Sustained speeds of more than 160kph on a naked bike become very tiring.[/QUOTE]

Funny i thought the speed limit was 100 kph ,so sustained speeds of more than 160 kph are not only dangerous but fall into the instant loss of licence category as well :done:

limbimtimwim
30th December 2006, 23:38
the air pressure when it hits your chest will take most of your body weight... and also you notice your speed more helps to keep it down which hope means less speeding tickets (helps a little...just a little mind you) ;)But surely this benefit is counteracted by tiring effect of the constant buffeting? And what of headwinds? And rain?

Nay, I cannot fathom how no fairing is better than much fairing. Behold the Yamaha FJR1300 and it's crazy electric screen.

I contend (As I tried to above, but I was, in fact, drunk at the time and did not carry it across correctly), that the type of bike does not matter that much.

Ixion
30th December 2006, 23:46
But the FJR1300 is a very different beast. That is a grand tourer. The riding position on such a bike is such that the body weight thing is not an issue. The naked bike suggestion related to "sports" type riding styles - in keeping with the OPs preference for sprotsbikes.

If one must tour on a "croucher" a naked bike will at least help support the body weight.

The true tourer such as the FJR is a much better proposition, but the OP did not like that idea. so the naked bike is a comprimise.

And electric screens are marvellous, I think one of the best ideas ever.

(EDIT- You don't actually get buffeting on a naked bike. If it rains, you get wet. Headwinds, use a bit more throttle)

NighthawkNZ
30th December 2006, 23:48
But the FJR1300 is a very different beast. That is a grand tourer. The riding position on such a bike is such that the body weight thing is not an issue. The naked bike suggestion related to "sports" type riding styles - in keeping with the OPs preference for sprotsbikes.

If one must tour on a "croucher" a naked bike will at least help support the body weight.

The true tourer such as the FJR is a much better proposition, but the OP did not like that idea. so the naked bike is a comprimise.

And electric screens are marvellous, I think one of the best ideas ever.

What he said...

jafar
31st December 2006, 00:04
[QUOTE=limbimtimwim;878992]But surely this benefit is counteracted by tiring effect of the constant buffeting? And what of headwinds? And rain?

Nay, I cannot fathom how no fairing is better than much fairing. Behold the Yamaha FJR1300 and it's crazy electric screen.

Can't say the buffeting is a major issue, the bike is less suseptable to sidewinds & airflow disturbances than a faired bike . In other words they don't tack like KZ7 in a side wind to the same extent as a faired machine.

Rain is overcome by wetweather gear & the realisation that if you are miles from home you will most likely get a bit damp, usually in the crotch area first then down into your boots :whocares: thats all part of the fun of it:scooter:

As for bikes like the fjr 1300 they are way expensive in comaprison to a naked

pritch
31st December 2006, 09:25
Over the years I have done a fairly substantial job of stuffing my right shoulder, two major strains and an insidious RSI all probably contributing. Physio, steroids and acupuncture have all been tried with some, but not complete, success.

Previously I've never felt any muscular pain when riding, even on one all day adventure on a new RGV, or when riding long distances on the K100RS.

In the last two years though there has been recurring pain in the right shoulder.
It isn't constant so there must be a position which agravates it less but as yet I haven't discovered it. After maybe four hours on the bike
the shoulder will be stiff all evening. I had been contemplating taking two asprin prior to a trip but note the warnings here.

One thing that I learned in Australia where it seems everybody owns a sprot bike, however inappropriate that particular choice seems to be there, is that when touring they lean their left elbow on the tank and rest their weight on that. That may also be common here but so far I haven't noticed any of the sprotbikes I see doing that...

Zapf
31st December 2006, 17:51
is that when touring they lean their left elbow on the tank and rest their weight on that. That may also be common here but so far I haven't noticed any of the sprotbikes I see doing that...

Very true, a tried and proven method. I do that :) or as our host Limbin... has said, get a tank bag and put your weight on it.

[QUOTE=limbimtimwim;878992]But surely this benefit is counteracted by tiring effect of the constant buffeting? And what of headwinds? And rain?

Can't say the buffeting is a major issue, the bike is less suseptable to sidewinds & airflow disturbances than a faired bike . In other words they don't tack like KZ7 in a side wind to the same extent as a faired machine.

Yes, while riding in bad weather and gusty conditions on the 900 Hornet. Being a naked bike I do find it much less affected by cross wind, which is great if it is to be ridden in windy conditions. Faired and naked bike each have pros and cons.

steved
1st January 2007, 22:32
Cheers for all the hints and tips. I have employed quite a few of them already (leaning on tank bags etc).

I moved the levers as low as the clip-ons will allow, sounds like a nice piece of advice.

In reference to why I have a sports bike, with only one bike there are always sacrifices. I don't have a touring bike and I didn't want to buy a touring bike to find out if I like it. All my riding upto this point consists of day-rides and communting.

Also, the pain in my shoulder is not persistant (gone by the morning). Just a relative youngun' moaning about a tiny pain I suppose :)

Wolf
11th January 2007, 20:10
I found that I got a horrendously sore lower back riding my old RD350 with its "dropped" bars between Hamilton and Paeroa - the bike was rather long for me so I was at a fair stretch riding it compared with my taller mates when riding the same bike. I've tried shorter sports config bikes but I find supporting my weight on my wrists is a literal pain even though I'm not as stretched as on the RD.

The LS400 with its "feet forward, lean back" seating posture played havoc with my tail bone on long journeys.

I've always favoured the upright posture of the old naked classic tourers - Honda CBs, older BMW R models - and the Road-trail bikes for long distances.

The seat on my XT225 could do with a bit more padding as my backside was beginning to hurt quite a bit by the time I reached Otorohanga (so I stood up on the pegs for a while) but I was able to make it as far as Te Kuiti without having to stop (by which time I really wanted a cigarette and a Coke anyway).

My take is: get a bike that is comfortable to sit on for long periods or modify the one you have (more padding on the seat or a sheepskin in the case of my XT) so you're in a comfortable position.

I could not ride a CBR any great distance - legs hooked back, leaning forward on my wrists and tilting my head up to see. I'd rather sit on the so-called "uncomfortable" (because it's not sculpted into a fancy shape, I suppose) bench seat of the old CB360 (which I found perfectly comfortable and well padded) wth my feet beneath my body, my back fairly straight and looking ahead in a natural posture.

Being comfortable and pain-free is of critical importance on long journeys as pain can didtract you or tire you and cause serious problems.

We went down to Wellington and back in the car last weekend and I could not get myself comfortable when driving. If strayj had not been there to share the driving it would have been even more of a misery.

Stray drove from Hamilton to Te Kuiti, where we had a 2-hour break from sitting in the car (visiting friends), then I drove from Te Kuiti to Waiouru and I was in a sea of pain (neck, mainly) and terribly fatigued by the time we reached Ohakune (despite a decent rest stop at Taumarunui). The last few km to Waiouru were intensely painful. Even with Strayj driving from Waiouru, I was a physical wreck by the time we got to Sanson where we stopped for the night.

Compare this with riding the same route on the XT225 all the way from Hamilton to the Cold Kiwi site near Waiouru and stopping for a proper 20-minute rest only at Te Kuiti, Taumarunui and Ohakune (the photo stops at Makatote Viaduct and National Park not really counting) and experiencing nothing more than a sore bum from the hard seat (which actually became less of an issue as I got used to the seat.) Yeah, I felt tired as you do, spending a protracted time engaged in the physical exercise of riding a motorbike, but I didn't feel like I was dangerously knackered.

The next day I had not recovered sufficiently and the drive from Sanson to Titahi Bay was agonising - shooting pains in the neck like the previous night, sore lower back and it felt like someone had smashed my elbows with a hammer.

The next day we came all the way from Titahi Bay to Hamilton on the one day, stopping for lengthy periods at my brother's place in Levin, my sister's place in Sanson and our friends' place in Te Kuiti, as well as taking 10-20 minute rests along the way, and I still felt like I'd been professionally tortured.

Driving in such pain was no fun. If strayj had not been there to take the wheel at times, I would have not been able to continue - I was getting dangerously distracted and fatigued.

It felt sooooooo good to ride the XT to work the next day and sit in a natural posture with my arms, spine and neck all in comfortable positions.

Honestly, when I rode the CB360 and CB550 similar distances by myself in a single day I never felt anywhere near as bad as I did in the car. The only comparable experience I've had on a bike was riding the LS400 to Palmerston North one day and back to Hamilton the next - the sitting-on-the-tailbone posture caused acute pain in my tailbone and spine and began to cause neck pain by the time I was approaching Te Kuiti on the return journey. It meant that I arrived home sore and tired after a large number of rest breaks.

To me, a comfortable vehicle is of paramount importance - especially if you intend on doing a couple or more consecutive days of travelling. Do what it takes to get yourself into a comfortable posture - even if that means buying a second bike for touring and leaving the CBR for hooning.

Wolf
11th January 2007, 20:27
Faired and naked bike each have pros and cons.
And the pros of a faired bike are? Aside from looking damned "sexy", of course.

I'll take the naked bike any day, at most a bikini fairing with a blade to direct the air over my helmet - anything more equates to too much money if some bastard knocks the bike over and too much fucking around when all you want to do is get the damned carb out for a clean.

I like the plastics on my bike - they bend and then return to their original position.

Zapf
12th January 2007, 15:30
And the pros of a faired bike are? Aside from looking damned "sexy", of course.

faired bike are in some ways better for travelling long distances. Try riding both for 20 hours stright and come answer this question again :)

jafar
12th January 2007, 16:10
faired bike are in some ways better for travelling long distances. Try riding both for 20 hours stright and come answer this question again :)

I have ridden my CB 13 for long distances with no problem . happy to "test" your bird for you though:whistle:

Mystic13
18th January 2007, 11:00
all joints can handle certain levels of pressue for certain levels of time just as we don't handle standing in one spot two well for a couple of hours. The joints between your hand and shoulder act like suspension. So the relaxing the muscles works far better then locking them up. You can also change the loading between arms. So effectively ride with your left arm and take much more weight there and use the right to lightly hold the throttle. If you can imagine how you would respond standing for a couple of hours its the same thing. At times you'd have more weight on one leg or the other and at times even on both. If you keeping impacting the joint like you are now over time you'll do the same thing that people do to hips and knees etc. All the setup changes are great. Lastly there is a set of excersises you can do for around 1 minute a day that will leave you with shoulder joints of steel in around 3 weeks. The excercise focuses on strenthening the tendons and the joint and the results are amazing. Email me if you want more info on the excercise. Cheers.

ceebie13
24th January 2007, 16:07
Here's my tuppenyworth. (Bloody cheapskate that I am!)

Before I acquired the CB13, I had a ZX9C2. I was convinced that as a sportsbike it was also a reasonably comfy tourer. This conclusion was arrived at after several long distance trips "sur le continent" with a pillion. Now it has to be said that my beloved Bex is a fantastic pillion. I don't know she's there half the time until my Oxford Bike Mike reminds me or she gives me a hug! So even two up on a ZX9, we could mile munch with what seemed like effortless ease. Comfort stops came at about 80mile intervals. What's that? About 130km.
I certainly adjusted the levers to be an extension of my arms but I stopped short of a sheepskin cover for the seats!! On a ZX9??? er, I don't think so matey! I'm not exactly knee high to a grasshopper either - infact I made the Ninja look small despite it actually being quite "lardy". So even with some considerable leg bending I found myself quite comfy.

Then I bought the CB13. Sorry, but I have to admit that the Honda does a better job than the Kawasaki did. Why? Torque, grunt, gear ratios...call it what you like...but we could eat miles for pudding as well as a main course! The CB admits to being heavy but, she just does what you ask of her in any situation. We have just returned from our touring holiday - two weeks in the saddle and 3000K later with tank bags, tail bags and throwovers all stuffed to the gunnels - and we have had no aches and pains at all. The small Givi screen just does enough to deflect some wind from your chest and relieve you of some buffeting. Ear plugs? Yes definately...it's been said here already but I wouldn't ride without now either. Clothing? Got a bit tired of leathers creeping due to saddle slip especially on down hill mountain roads. Makes your bum ache a bit. But I can live with that. I'm not about to make the CB look like a sheep with wheels!

sunhuntin
24th January 2007, 20:39
same as wolf, my tailbone suffered hugely riding from wanganui to invercargill and back. this was a virago
the days were long and gruelling. i wouldnt stop, except for gas and food, until i got to where i needed to be. heading from invers to christchurch, i was on the road for over 12 hours and was nearly falling off the bike with exhaustion by the time i found my motel. i will be taking longer next time, and spreading the journey out.
it was only my tailbone that suffered, so i might try a bit of sheepskin next time as well. i ended up stuffing my backpack under my backside to change the pressure points, but didnt work for long.

Wolf
25th January 2007, 11:44
it was only my tailbone that suffered, so i might try a bit of sheepskin next time as well. i ended up stuffing my backpack under my backside to change the pressure points, but didnt work for long.
Sheepskin would probably help on my XT225 which seems to be merely a padding problem (a quick re-upholster would probably also help) but the issue I found with my tailbone on the LS400 (and I'd likely find on any cruiser) was the fact that I had my weight on my tailbone owing to the leaned-back, feet-forward posture - rotated my bum around to place my load on the coccyx.

On the XT and on classic tourers with my feet in a more natural position and my posture more erect or leaned slightly forward, my coccyx is rotated up and away from the seat. The only contact with the seat is tops of thighs and lower gluteus maximus, so on the XT my tailbone is fine but the cheeks of me arse feel sore due to the thin padding and hard seat pan.

My posture in a car is similar to that of a cruiser - feet forward, leaning back - which is why I found the long car journey so painful. I could not adjust my posture to a more upright one where my tailbone was clear of the seat and my head was directly above my spine. Kept leaning forward to get my head supported which curved my spine uncomfortably and did not alleviate the tailbone.

And you need to take up smoking so you'll have another reason to stop for a rest :devil2:

Edbear
25th January 2007, 21:04
A big tank bag. Put your heavy stuff in it (Keeping weight forward, not hanging over the back lightening your front wheel..) and then put soft things at the top. And then you can lie on it. Seriously, just put your weight on it. You now have a big fat happy pillow to rest yourself on, and little weight on your arms..

Ha ha! I use my tummy for the same thing..!:yes: