PDA

View Full Version : Four stages of learning

terbang
25th December 2006, 12:50
Here is some food for thought for new riders and training. Its a mantle that is often followed in Aviation circles where students are licenced at STAGE 3 but not allowed to command until STAGE 4 is gained.

I am left with the impression that motorcycle licencing in NZ occurs somewhere around STAGE 2.

Opinions..?

FOUR STAGES OF LEARNING

STAGE 1: UNCONSCIOUS INCOMPETENCE
Not only do you not know what to do, you have no experience of it either. An example that could be used is for a child, car driving is a mystery. They have no fear and no awareness of what they do not know.

STAGE 2: CONSCIOUS INCOMPETENCE
Practising the skill takes all your concentration – it can be very uncomfortable. You have an awareness of what you should do/know, but you do not always succeed.

STAGE 3: CONSCIOUS COMPETENCE
You can do it, but it takes attention and concentration

STAGE 4: UNCONSCIOUS COMPETENCE
The skills becomes almost a habit, you are able to be successful without concentration and your conscious mind is free to take on other things.

toymachine
25th December 2006, 16:41
Where's Reckless Incompetence ;)

Your cocky enough to go fast, but no where near competent enough to control it!

BarBender
25th December 2006, 21:15
FOUR STAGES OF LEARNING

Not only do you not know what to do, you have no experience of it either. An example that could be used is for a child, car driving is a mystery. They have no fear and no awareness of what they do not know.

Practising the skill takes all your concentration – it can be very uncomfortable. You have an awareness of what you should do/know, but you do not always succeed.

You can do it, but it takes attention and concentration

The skills becomes almost a habit, you are able to be successful without concentration and your conscious mind is free to take on other things.

Put another way...

[I]FOUR STAGES OF LEARNING
You dont know you're stupid

You've figured out that you're stupid

You consciously try hard not to be stupid

You're not stupid because your good at doing things subconsciously.

My only comment would be that a flaw with this model is that accidents ocassionally happen through habbit or when we assume.

I dont have a problem with Level 2. It keeps me on my toes and there is a self autonomy, enthusiasm and accountability to learn.

Have you read Kolbs Learning model based on experience?

$CENSLS1$
10th January 2007, 15:44
I think I'm somewhere in the vacinity of Stage 2 :yes:

Squeak the Rat
10th January 2007, 15:55
I think I'm somewhere in the vacinity of Stage 2 :yes:

Be careful with stage 3, it also brings with it the risk of Over Confidence making you think you're at level 4. Often followed by an oooops moment.

j_redley
3rd February 2007, 14:59
I know I'm definatly in level 2 :-p