PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki DR500

rok-the-boat
25th December 2006, 20:56
I have a 1982 Suzuki DR500 (no manual). I am presently removing all the major parts of the on-road electrical system to make it more suitable for off road use. I'd like to keep the original loom intact just in case I need it later.

A few thoughts / quetions:
1 If I keep the 6V battery, I guess I need to keep the rectifier and voltage regulator, right? If so, how do I wire them up? Also, it has a CDI Unit (a 3" square box just below the headstock).

2 If I scrap the battery, what should I do instead - a capacitor? Or nothing? Voltage reguator?

3 I presume the voltage regulator is the small box on the headstock with one green/white wire coming out of it. What should I connect it to?

At present, two wires form the alternator area go into the CDI box - I guess they are from the ignition sender - right? Two more go to the lights so I guess I won't be needing them unless I fit lights and use the battery, right? Or do I need it for hte CDI ignition set up?

Anyway, kinda stuck and unsure so any advice appreciated. Does anyone have online links to simple wiring diagrams for such cases?

rok-the-boat
29th December 2006, 07:49
No takers on my questions yet?

I have one more. For an off road bike, can I just junk ALL the electrics - voltage regulator, rectifier, battery, lights etc, and just keep the CDI and igntion coil. Would it work or would it fry?

imdying
29th December 2006, 11:20
Gotta ask, what's the point? Why not leave the electrics intact?

Flyingpony
29th December 2006, 14:16
I have a 1982 Suzuki DR500 (no manual). I am presently removing all the major parts of the on-road electrical system to make it more suitable for off road use. I'd like to keep the original loom intact just in case I need it later.
Quick question: Ever been stuck off road without lights and its half past bed time?

Personally I would bother stripping it, might cause other "phantom" electrical problems.

rok-the-boat
29th December 2006, 22:05
Gotta ask, what's the point? Why not leave the electrics intact?

I just want to make it simple and uncluttered. Anyway, I took it all off and it started and ran fine with just the CDI box and coil + kill switch. The bare minimum. The loom has been rejoined together and I could easily put it back on. It would be easy to fit a front and rear light and voltage regulator, but if I do, to keep it uncluttered I'll just add a few new wires and a simple switch. Anyway, I'm not planning to use it at night.

And my next problem is do I strip it and have the crank rebuilt and get a rebore, or just let it shake, rattle, and roll ...