PDA

View Full Version : Fixxer playing up

Indiana_Jones
24th July 2004, 15:00
My fxr seems to be playing up, sometimes the eletric start takes many many times to work and when it is going (i do let it warm up :msn-wink: ) when i goto take-off it just cuts-out / stalls.

Any ideas?
Thanks

-Indy

Posh Tourer :P
24th July 2004, 15:31
Running too lean? check the float levels...

FROSTY
24th July 2004, 16:48
Im gonna try a lil interpretation work here.
What you meant was ---I push the electric start button several times and the bike turns over properly but doesn't start. When It finally does get going it stalls when I try to accellerate.
If thats what you meant Im 99% sure you have water in ya carb and tank.
I had the same prob with my fixxer.
Try this--get a small clear jar/bottle.
Run the drain hose from your carb into it.Turn the petrol tap off, Undoo the drain screw on the carb and empty the carb into the jar/bottle.
Wait a minute for the fuel to settlein the jar and you should see the petrol seperate into two liquids -one clear and one light gold. -if it does--yep you had water in ya carbie.
Give the bike a bloody good shake. tighten the drain pipe again and turn the fuel tap to reserve.
Throw the contents of the jar away and repeat the operation.
If you get water in the jar again (and most likely you will)
Then you need to drain the tank bone dry.best to do this when ya nearly out of gas.
remove seat. undoo 2x rear retaining bolts on the tank.
Turn fuel tap off.
Unplug fuel line
Unplug fuel sender unit
pour 1/4 ltr of methelated spirits into the tank
lift tank at rear and slide backwards off of front mounts.
Shake the tank vigourously
remove fuel tap and fuel cap -drain tank
remove fuel guage sender unit
shake out all remaining liquid
Reassemble
Pour fresh gas into the tank.

If ya nearly have a full tank. I'd try just draining the carb a couple of times.
I found it was enough to get rid of most of the water enough to get her up and running.
-If ya get stuck give me a call--021544251

Indiana_Jones
24th July 2004, 20:19
thanks man, I'll give that a go sometime.

-Indy

Antallica
24th July 2004, 21:41
Yeah I'll have to do that on my mates Fixxer, his cuts out at random intervals though. Not the ignition cable as JR suggested.

dhunt
24th July 2004, 22:28
It doesn't just cut out getting into first from neutral? I noticed on my mates bike I would have to give it a couple revs to drop in to gear otherwise it would stall.

David

Antallica
24th July 2004, 22:33
Nah it happens anytime, ie. When at 100km/h going to Auck (doh!) or just 50km/h round town.

tuscan
25th July 2004, 09:25
If thats what you meant Im 99% sure you have water in ya carb and tank.
I had the same prob with my fixxer.

What ya did must have sorted it cause it hasn't done that for me... :scooter:

FROSTY
25th July 2004, 11:49
nope tuscan .Our fixxer got the full treatment-I was kinda thinking about keeping it.
Water removed then fish tank stones put in it -a big shake and 2 meths flushes.It got the big carb strip down too just in case some rust made it into the jets.

FROSTY
25th July 2004, 13:38
hey indy if ya wanna --bring ya fixxer to me--Im havin a quiet day here at work

Stinkwheeler
25th July 2004, 20:54
Simple things first. Could be idle adjustment or something silly like that.

My TV200 is a pain to start on cold mornings with the electric starter. The stupid thing hardly turns over. Luckily I live up a hill.

Indiana_Jones
31st July 2004, 19:39
Well, she seems to be working again.
Just stuck a new spark plug in her and it seems to be doing the job, just gonna tweak it out later.

Thanks for all of your advice guys :2thumbsup

-Indy