PDA

View Full Version : GPX 250: Low beam not working.

zeocen
27th December 2006, 08:10
Hey, does anyone have any experience with GPX 250 bulbs or connections? I'm not sure if there's 2 bulbs for low/high but the lowbeam has died, it could just be a connection and if so, how would I go about fixing the connection?

And if it's the bulb (assuming there's 2 in there, don't see how it can not work on low but work fine on high) where's a good place to get a replacement?

Thanks !

Ixion
27th December 2006, 08:29
It is far more likely to be the bulb. If the bike has only one headlamp, the bulb will have two filiments, one for high beam one for low beam. The low beam filiment usually gets more use so burns out first.

You should be able to get a replacement bulb from Repco or Supercheap.

Mr. Peanut
27th December 2006, 08:30
Have a close look at the bulb, it's probably quite black. What Ixion said.

zeocen
27th December 2006, 08:31
Ahh okay, I didn't know about that, thanks!

Now time to figure out how to get into it to check the bulb

/edit, it does seem to be something black in there from what I can see.. I just have to find a way to get into it now.

zeocen
27th December 2006, 08:47
Hoookay, so how does one actually get into a headlight? :o

Ixion
27th December 2006, 08:55
On a faire bike, often with difficulty. You need to get at the back of the headlamp shell, the bulb will be clipped in. How much you have to dismantle to get there is a different matter on every bike.

Kwaka14
27th December 2006, 09:04
On a GPX 250 you need to take off the top fairing to get to it easily, this involves unbolting the mirrors and the allen key bolts holding the fairing to the lower fairing and the frame, you don't need to take it right off just move it forward a bit so you have some clearance, the bub is a halogen HF3 I think, can't remember for sure anymore, just be careful not to touch the lens as this damages halogen bulbs.

zeocen
27th December 2006, 09:04
With my girly fingers I managed to unplug it without having to dismantle anything, but the bulb seems pretty adamant about staying put, not sure how I would get it out even though I can reach it this way. So annoying, it's just a bulb! :(

Kwaka14
27th December 2006, 09:08
push the wire cage together so that you can take the bulb assembly out complete with the rubber cover (it's a while now since I had the GPX now though and I'm pretty sure its a wire cage and rubber cover thing)..... It's definitely easier with the fairing 1/2 off, at least the first time......

Disco Dan
27th December 2006, 09:57
push the wire cage together so that you can take the bulb assembly out complete with the rubber cover (it's a while now since I had the GPX now though and I'm pretty sure its a wire cage and rubber cover thing)..... It's definitely easier with the fairing 1/2 off, at least the first time......

Take off the rubber cover, you may need a surprisingly large amount of force to unclip the wire loop holding the bulb.

It is worth taking the front fairing off... but remember the headlight is bolted to the fairing.

- remove the screws attached to the side fairings first then remove the bolts holding the mirrors. Be holding the fairing with one hand when you take the last bolt out... as the weight of the headlight makes it drop forward and it will fall onto the floor smashing your headlight!

Ixion
27th December 2006, 10:09
With my girly fingers I managed to unplug it without having to dismantle anything, but the bulb seems pretty adamant about staying put, not sure how I would get it out even though I can reach it this way. So annoying, it's just a bulb! :(
Heh. That is exactly what happens on the BMW. I can reach through the fairing clutter to get to the bulb holder, even unclip it, with some swearing, but as to getting it out let alone replacing it, not a hope. Tha manual blithely just says "reach through from the side, unclip the bulb holder and remove the bulb." I hate people who write manuals, they must all have two thumbs per hand and six jointed titanium fingers 18 inches long. So I have to spend half a day removing and replacing fairings, in order to do a 2 minute bulb change . Grrr.

zeocen
27th December 2006, 10:55
Yeah, I can unplug it to see the end of the bulb but I don't think I have a hope in hell to get it out, think I'll have to get some tools and take the fairings off :( Ah well, live and learn. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

riffer
28th December 2006, 07:31
I had a similar thing happen to me. After spending, like Ixion said, half a day removing the fairing to get at the bulb and replacing it, I found out that there's a fuse dedicated to the low beam, and that this had gone.

Maybe there's a fuse you could check?

davereid
28th December 2006, 16:33
TAX INVOICE

Replace Bulb in Headlamp :

Replacement halogen globe 45/55w 1 @ $4.95
Labour : Remove mirrors, and upper fairing cover.
Remove headlamp nacelle, replace bulb.
Re-assemble above.
Check headlight for height and azimuth.

LABOUR 2 @ $55
---------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL : $114.95
---------------------------------------------------------------

Big Dog
28th December 2006, 21:30
I had a similar thing happen to me. After spending, like Ixion said, half a day removing the fairing to get at the bulb and replacing it, I found out that there's a fuse dedicated to the low beam, and that this had gone.

Maybe there's a fuse you could check?On my old GPX the fuse went 2 times in three years halogen bulbs hard wired is a lot of drain over 120,000 kms.
bulb went the day I sold it :gob:
If I recall corectly on the center stand with a mate sat on the back I got it out with my bear paws. I suggest Locate the clip and rotate the head stock at the same time as you flick the lever. this gives your hand more room to move.
i had to remove the horn to reach but that is easier than the fairing.

zeocen
31st December 2006, 11:00
I got a replacement easy enough from repco, it's a little brighter than my old one which is good. It turns out it was blown, but holy christ what a mission just to change a freaking light bulb..

Being the genius I am I somehow cracked a bit of the fairing, but you can't see it and it'll be fine so I'm not too ticked off about it, I'm just stoaked that I can take my bike to the NYE function tonight and have a means of transport to bugger off when I feel like it (no drinking tonight, damn antibiotics!). Thanks to all for the advice, would have never known what I was looking at otherwise

This has _seriously_ changed my view on what bike to get next regarding faired or naked.

......even though the Kwaka ER6-S and GSX 750 are sex on wheels:love:, that was a lot of effort for changing a lightbulb :done:

Big Dog
31st December 2006, 18:51
This has _seriously_ changed my view on what bike to get next regarding faired or naked.

......even though the Kwaka ER6-S and GSX 750 are sex on wheels:love:, that was a lot of effort for changing a lightbulb :done:
Most modern Faired Bikes have little "skirts" specially designed to drop out to change bulbs.
2 minute job to change the Bulbs in a Suzuki, well two to get it out, two to put it back together 30mins to replace, repverse step one and repeat step two, ok 38mins.

gammaguy
3rd January 2007, 22:06
ever tried getting at the battery on a post 1995 BMW Boxer?
Grown men have been reduced to tears..........:crybaby: :crybaby: