PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Disc Brakes

dhunt
24th July 2004, 22:42
Hey my disc brakes, front and rear seem to squeak when moderate to hard braking is applied. Anyone got any ideas what causes this/how to fix it. It's more an anonnoyance than a problem but I wouldn't mind having a solution

Thanks

David

Antallica
24th July 2004, 22:44
Checked the amount of rubber left on the pads?

Magua
24th July 2004, 23:11
I've got the same problem on my front disc. Schreeces all the time, light, moderate, heavy breaking.

Jackrat
24th July 2004, 23:43
Give em' a good clean.
As long as the pad is good that works for me.
An old trick that I've seen done is to drill holes in the pad and put the carbon rod from an old D size battery into them.the last time I saw it done was in the seventys when jap disc's really were bad for it.

Two Smoker
25th July 2004, 08:29
I've got the same problem on my front disc. Schreeces all the time, light, moderate, heavy breaking.
Either you need new brake pads/shoes (which is most likely), or they are contaminated, therefore take them out and give them a good buff with a wire brush (preferably the one on the grinder) then lightly sand your disc or the inside of the drum with some P240-P300..... this should improve braking and stop the squeaking :niceone:

merv
25th July 2004, 09:05
Squealing can also be caused by the interface between the back of the pad and the piston. This can be fixed by taking the pads out and lightly lubing the backs with "Copperslip" or equivalent - go and ask at Repco for some stuff to stop your brakes squealing and they will be able to sell you something. The copper based stuff like I use is designed for high temperatures. Whatever you do don't get any of it on the front surface of the pads.

Magua
25th July 2004, 10:28
:argh: Another trip to the bikeshop it is then.

FROSTY
25th July 2004, 11:17
do not take the advise i gave a young bucket racer (in jest of course)and spray crc on your disk to stop the squeaking.
How was I to know he would be dumb enough to actually do it.
Still he got his revenge when he used me as brakes when suprisingly enough his diddn't work

Motu
25th July 2004, 21:00
Brakes squeak all the time - we just don't normaly hear it,so all we have to do is shift it out of our frequency,a scuff with emery and a clean in hot water will sort a glazed pad,assemble with ultra high temp lube on load points and pivots,lube,silicon or spray antisqueal adhesive on caliper contact surfaces will stop the pad moving and hence vibrating in use.

Jack mentions the graphite rod from a dry cell imbeded in a pad - ever see the mags on the front of a car discoloured with dark brake dust? - that's graphite,they put it in the pad material to lubricate the pad and stop squeal - sometimes nothing works and you just have to live with it,so long as everything is safe,just ignore it.

pete376403
26th July 2004, 08:38
Car discs are self lubricating to a certain degree* - cos they are cast iron -lots of carbon (graphite) in CI. Most bike discs are stainless, although some of the better bikes have CI discs, cos CI has a much higher coefficient of friction than stainless. Main reason Jap bikes use stainless is for appearances. CI disks will have a light coating of rust after a period (ie overnight) of non use. ignorant consumers don't like that, they'd rather have nice shiney disks even if they don't work as well.

Carbon fibre disks are a whole 'nother story. Need to be very hot before they start to work propoerly, so don't expect to see them on a mass produced street bike anytime soon.

*In spite of which, car disks can squeal like a stuck pig too. Copper-kote or similar thinly applied to the back of the pads helps.

dhunt
26th July 2004, 15:28
The basic impression I'm getting from everyones posts are, if the pads are ok then there is nothing wrong with the brakes. It just whether I can be bothered getting rid of the noise or not, correct?

David

Magua
26th July 2004, 15:42
Anyway to check if the pads are ok without taking anything apart?

vifferman
26th July 2004, 16:02
Anyway to check if the pads are ok without taking anything apart?Well, you can usually see how much meat is left on them without taking them apart, by looking between the calipers (they're designed so that you can do that). But it's a small job to whip 'em off and check, and worth doing if you're serious about getting rid of the squeal.

Jackrat
26th July 2004, 17:16
Anyway to check if the pads are ok without taking anything apart?

Most are just held in with a clip or couple of pins.
Mine have a flip up plastic lid that you lift up to see the pads,have a good look around before you go to the shop.

Posh Tourer :P
26th July 2004, 18:25
The basic impression I'm getting from everyones posts are, if the pads are ok then there is nothing wrong with the brakes. It just whether I can be bothered getting rid of the noise or not, correct?

David

Thats pretty much it. Of course when you get down to metal it makes a more horrible metal on metal grinding. Definitely not squealing, which I cant seem to stop my pads doing. I clean them and two weeks later they are back at it.... :doh:

A Toad 2
13th August 2004, 18:42
Hey my disc brakes, front and rear seem to squeak when moderate to hard braking is applied. Anyone got any ideas what causes this/how to fix it. It's more an anonnoyance than a problem but I wouldn't mind having a solution

Thanks

David
dave brake squealing is nomally caused by brake dust you can either remove the pads and clean them up with emery cloth and wash down with water ,do not blow off with a compressor as brake dust is not to good for the health.a hacksaw cut through the centre of the pad helps remove dust and stop sqealling some automotive pads have this cut in them when purchased.i have cut many disc pads myself and had no more problem with brake squeal,dont worry it is safe.also a slight taper on the leading and trailing edge of the pads will stop any grabbing or binding.a crc product brakeleen is probably the quickest and easiest way to deal with your problem,simply aim and squirt mechanics in a bottle good stuff cheers pete :doctor:

Paul in NZ
13th August 2004, 18:59
What a load of shit these guys are telling you. Fer goodnes sake, they must all be blimmin Freemasons or something...

There are ONLY 2 possible reasons...

The test is to carefully examine the ground around the front wheel after you have parked the bike for an hour. Look for any blue tinged fluid on the ground...

If no fluid, a mouse has made it's home in you caliper. Call the SPCA (in the winter the little devils love to find a warn spot)

If you DO find blue fluid, you have run over a Smurf and it's probably not dead yet so be careful. Hard little buggers to dig out...

Bye

:wavey:

riffer
13th August 2004, 20:06
I guess with all those frosts you've been having on the coast lately, the magic mushrooms are regularly popping up at the moment, aren't they Paul?

Hmmm. Mushroom omelettes anyone ;)

merv
13th August 2004, 20:14
Remind me not to ride a Guzzi, seems it does funny things to your mind.

Paul in NZ
13th August 2004, 21:08
Remind me not to ride a Guzzi, seems it does funny things to your mind.

To true...

It straightens you up and you start laughing and smiling again... Bloody strange I reckon... Hardly natural... I wouldn't buy one if I was you guys. In fact, since I'm already infected, I'll take em all off your hands as a special favour!! No no, no need to pay me...

Paul in NZ
13th August 2004, 21:11
I guess with all those frosts you've been having on the coast lately, the magic mushrooms are regularly popping up at the moment, aren't they Paul?

Hmmm. Mushroom omelettes anyone ;)

Nothing so esoteric old son.

Just 2 cans of cheap beer from the dairy... Wonderful stuff...

Storm
15th August 2004, 21:27
So Paul, you would suggest that if Dave gets on the mushies, he will be to busy looking out for smurfs on the road at 100 to worry about any braking squeals ? Might make the ride a little "interesting" :sick: :yeah: