PDA

View Full Version : Torque's Race report.Wanganui

Torque
27th December 2006, 14:04
Racing the battle of the streets was a first for me and i was very nervous at first. It was something i have always wanted to have a go at, well yesterday i had a blast!
Shaun Harris had organised a great spot 7 pits down from the track, right in the centre of all the action. Bret / Quasi drove me and bike down christmas arvo and we arrived around 10.00pm in the pouring rain. The first thing we did was drive around the track in the dark and in the wet. All i could think of, was what it was going to be like blating around on wet tyres!
A few hay bales had been placed around - but gees, manhole covers, dips, bumps and any other number of objects to look at got me thinking about my ability and how safe i was going to feel on the day.
After pad thai, steak and chips and a couple of beers we made are way to the hotel. Up at 5am and off we went to the pits to set up for the day. I could feel the butterflies coming on but also i was very excited about the day.
We had a fantastic spot, right in the thick of it. Andrew Stroud one side and Gerrard Love just a few pits away, Shaun Harris to give me advice and Bret on hand to help, my pit bitch for the day!.
As a first timer i got to go out for four laps of the track and what a difference it looked in the sun, way more hay bales around and the road looked in quite good condition. I came in with a big stupid grin on my face, i realised the day was going to be a blast! It wasn't long and i was out for my first practice laps, five i think and unificially i had a 16th placing, more smiles. Qualifing i managed a 24th, not so relaxed this time, i realised i was riding with some very fast riders but i was out to have fun i had nothing to prove. First race and i was nervous and it showed. After getting through the first corner, two bikes collided in front of me and came close to crashing. I all most stood the bike on end to avoid crashing myself and as i did so felt my hip tighten up and i was in a lot of pain. Spent the rest of the race trying to sort it, it must of looked funny seeing me riding along,standing up on the bike and sticking my leg out trying to get rid of the pain. I came 25th but was a little annoyed at myself.
2nd race and this time i was way more relaxed and smoother. Had a couple of moments though when on the second corner again a bike hit the man hole cover and crashed right in front of me.I only just missed him and the bike. Gary H was in front and clipped the hay bales at the same time. I also had some impressive slids but really enjoyed enjoyed my last race. :yes:
Thanks to Shaun Harris,Bret/quasi for the help and Phil Snowdon for the replacment tyre warmars. Another great days racing spent with friends.
If anybody has any photos please could you PM me.
Cheers Rob/ Torque SV 650 #196

Matt Bleck
27th December 2006, 15:37
Good to see ya out there having a go Rob! :niceone:

emaN
27th December 2006, 17:48
got a couple of pics at the railway track esses...
i'll send them when i get home

well done dude! was great seeing ya out there - looked like you had heaps in reserve. look forward to next year!

kiwifruit
27th December 2006, 20:06
you've got balls for racing round there man! :rockon:

Two Smoker
28th December 2006, 16:09
Awesome stuff Rob :niceone: Some good results there :niceone:

Torque
28th December 2006, 16:12
Great, look forward to the photos. Yep, i had a little in reserve and will use it at the nationals. Not sure if you need big balls but i know after racing around that track they F---ing hurt!! Cheers Guys.

gaza
30th December 2006, 11:12
Hi Torque, photo at this link: http://www.pbase.com/naki_gaza/image/72307565

Other photos here: http://www.pbase.com/naki_gaza/wanga_2006
Cheers
Gary