PDA

View Full Version : Deano survives Wangas' Cemetery Circuit

Deano
27th December 2006, 18:47
Well I've done some scary shit before but this was definitely up there.

The Cemetery Circuit is well different to purpose built tracks...kinda reminded me of when I was 21 back in the NSR250R days......:innocent:

That was some time ago........

Anyway, thanks heaps to Mikey for securing a top notch pit spot. Garry H was more than welcome to share our pit with us.......we were happy to get as much racing knowledge as we could.

Mikey's bike was a bit of concern at scrutineering but passed after attaching some tie wire to the oil filter. Any potential buyers of Mikey's bike should know it is structurally sound, despite the cosmetics.

I have to admit I was pretty nervous in the morning - I had been to these races for years as a spectator and had seen the carnage that can occur in such a big field as F3 - the portaloos didn't help and I reached a couple of times trying to take a piss - sorry if I hit the toilet seat cause I stopped caring where 'it' was was going after that.

During the 'newbies' familiarisation laps I went out last and followed Eamon (MotoXXX) around on his RG150 - despite the relaxed pace and yellow flags I didn't feel comfortable getting past him and thought I might be eating a big slice of humble pie by the end of the day.

I was VERY surprised when Garry came back to our pit and said I had qualified ahead of him. (23 out of 35)

During qualifying I had a mean tank slapper through the esses and after some really great advice passed on from Yohan Bruns, I went through that section with my arse off the seat, with bars and pegs weighted only. Might need a steering damper for next year (as well as an F2 bike and some serious sponsorship...hint hint...)

First race and the SV650's and Motard's took off from the start as expected. I got taken by a couple of Motard's over the railway lines and then by an old yellow thumper...he missed a gear before the bridge and I went up the outside, but wary of him on the inside, he got me on the bridge before he missed another gear and I got him on the front straight. Finished 21st.

My bike felt right on the limit of it's suspension when braking at the end of the front straight, and I hope anyone watching will remember seeing the back wheel bouncing and sliding before turn 1.

Race 2 felt much better for me, and although there was a crash which took out #10, Garry H and Jarrod Wintle (no right footpeg), I managed 18th.

Much thanks to our sponsors TSS Motorcycles and QuasiMoto Motorcycle Apparel. Also thanks to Mrs Deano, Mikey (cheers for staying sober!), Garry H, Fizzerman, Flame, Stu at TSS and all you other caarn'ts that stopped by to give encouragement (Skelstar, Lissa, Darkman, Fatjim, Velox, Vaseline Warrior, Jimmy, Sensei, SVS, Motoracer, AJTurbo, EMan...just to name a few).

As for Paeroa......we'll see

All in all, a bloody good day!

merv
27th December 2006, 19:02
Nice one Deano.

cowpoos
27th December 2006, 19:06
your welcome for the generator too bro!! ;)

sunhuntin
27th December 2006, 19:09
cool! will be watching the replay on tv when its on.

i didnt get there till the robert holden race...got dragged to the sales to play packhorse.

anyone got photos? my brother put some kinda photo software on the pc, and it wiped my memory card, so my few photos are gone.

Torque
27th December 2006, 19:14
Well you were keener than me Deano ,i could see you were giving it heaps mate!! good on ya. What a blast though, i for one will be back next year and hope with a bit more knowledge will kick some ass. Good write up.:yes:

merv
27th December 2006, 19:24
anyone got photos? my brother put some kinda photo software on the pc, and it wiped my memory card, so my few photos are gone.

Try here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?

here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?

here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=41145

and here for a start http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=41148

Does that help?

Nicksta
27th December 2006, 19:41
well done Deano.... you did awesome.....

ajturbo
27th December 2006, 20:02
yer was good to see you there matey...
now don't get your butt kicked next time... and tell Mikey to stop giving the unpaid help the bash each time he went past!!!!:done:

roadracingoldfart
27th December 2006, 20:42
yehaaaaa.... Deano is no longer a ROAD race VIRGIN lol.
Good on ya for havin a go mate and im sure we will be at it again for the winter series. Im sure you only did well because of the sort of bike you chose hehe (great bike ) .
C ya mate and Happy new year.
Paul.M.

skelstar
27th December 2006, 20:52
On ya mate. Took a lot of guts to race on that circuit and you have my respect for doing considering the shit that has gone down in the last couple of months. On ya Mrs D for watching Dean go out there eh? :niceone:

Str8 Jacket
27th December 2006, 21:03
Awesome Deano! Good on you for getting out there! Bet you're stoked you did it?!

Quasievil
27th December 2006, 21:14
I got a couple of pics but you where faster than my camera's shutter speed sorry

sugilite
27th December 2006, 23:03
Well Done Deano, Good to see ya earned ya street racing stripes!:yes:

badlieutenant
27th December 2006, 23:36
awesome deano!! wish i could have been there but will make sure Im there at paeroa to cheer u along :D

emaN
28th December 2006, 07:56
Good stuff dude!
Got some pics of ya, will do something with 'em when i get home...
Stoked you enjoyed it so much!

jimbo600
28th December 2006, 14:16
Nice one Deano. More minerals than I have I tell ya

Two Smoker
28th December 2006, 15:47
Wicked stuff Deano :niceone: Some good results there... Its a point and shoot course, and those motards fire out of the corners making them hard to pass...

Pex Adams
29th December 2006, 11:47
Awesome Shit Deano...

Look out Sugilite, he's coming for you!!!