PDA

View Full Version : Auckland - Taumaranui - Wanganui

Grub
27th December 2006, 21:17
Nasty and I are off from Auckland for Taumaranui on the day of New Years Eve and on New Years Day going on to Wanganui.

We'd love to join up with anyone doing the same route. We expect to turn off at Ngaruawahia and go down the other side of the river and on to Te Kuiti and Taumaranui. If its dry, we'll do the Paraparas from National Park to Wangers. Thee's a lot of residual clay and stuff there at the moment according to one KBer so if it's wet, we'll do Ohakune and then SH1.

Grub

Pumba
28th December 2006, 08:50
Did that simular route on boxing day for the races in Wanganui. Personally I wouldent worry to much about the Paraparas. True they have been cut up pretty bad by storms in the last few years but the areas that affect the road are well sign posted and the rest of the road the is not affected is just to much fun to miss, even if it is a bit wet.

Have fun and enjoy the trip.

Grub
28th December 2006, 11:12
Thanx Pumba ... good to know. It's worth having a heads-up for that stuff as it's too far into that road to then go and turn back if it got all munty

Grub 'n' Nasty

pritch
28th December 2006, 22:28
Nasty and I are off from Auckland for Taumaranui on the day of New Years Eve and on New Years Day going on to Wanganui.
Grub

And you wouldn't consider using SH43 from Taumarunui to Stratford? It's only a little bit out of your way...

kinnear
29th December 2006, 08:44
You could add Hwy 40 from Mangatupoto. Then onto Hwy 43 to Stratford. Have driven it a couple of times recently. Thought it would make a great bike tour. Saw a couple of Royal Enfields outside the Whangamomona pub. You'll go through a tunnel unlike any you have ever seen before! A few ks of very good gravel which will cause no difficulties. But if you need to o/night at Taumaranui then 43 all the way to Stratford.
Kinnear