PDA

View Full Version : Xr 250 L

zeRax
27th December 2006, 22:59
Ok, so it looks like im quite the keen gun to get to some real places and get off the tarmac

I'll be selling my zxr250, my tzr250, and probably throw the xr200r to my little brother.

As it comes down to it for what i want and after advice by mr Merv, who i think is on holiday now otherwise id just email him cause he's a pool of wisdom
i think the XR250L is the winner

I want to know about extra's, like a large aftermarket tank(isnt there like a 4.2 galon one ?), bark busters, set of blank plastics so i can look after the originals, um,so yea, seeing as ill probably buy new, might aswell spend extra pennies and make it what i want, so ill get a can for it to make it sound like im riding something aswell,

want to load is up as much as i can so ill probably make some mounts, or if theres readily avaliable ones to buy that'd be good, gotta make a mount for the ol telescopic 10" rod too :D

i guess ill be keeping this bike for a long time, what kind of mods do you suggest doing and other little bits to add to it, like re routing breathers, airbox valves or whatever the go is, i know theres lots of little niggles people do to their off/on/everywhere bikes

your thoughts on bits n pieces and my choice and any other comments most appreciated :>

NordieBoy
28th December 2006, 07:50
Hmmm, I wonder if my spare (as in "oops, that won't fit, D'Oh!) XR600 Acerbis tank would fit?
20 something litres.
Only one way to find out...

merv
28th December 2006, 08:25
Hi, I'm not on holiday until Sunday, but regards the tank how far do you intend riding? Stock they'll run easily around 250km on a tank full so I'd question the worth of a larger tank. Even in hard going 200km is probably still on.

As far as breathers etc go the Honda is set up well, but compared to the old XR250R one downer if you are going to drown it often is they come with a paper air cleaner element. I tried to get Sparky Bills to source me a foam one earlier this year but none available that will just clip in so I've stuck with the paper, but then I don't go fishing with mine.

This model has been available much longer in Australia than here so probably worth searching websites there for bits and pieces.

If you going into tough trails buy a 48T rear sprocket (stock is 40) and longer chain because that will gear it the same as the 250R. You'll have to modify the chain guide by adding a piece onto the bracket so the chain runs onto the sprocket nicely without chewing out the chain guide lower nylon.

If you are going on anything but the ngarliest of trails though I'd leave the gearing as is which allows it to cruise happily on the highway too. The beauty of the XR is the wide ratio gearbox. Try it and see how you feel about it. The comparo I always make is what's the difference in ratio between 1 and 6th? On the XR it is a 3.402 times difference. On the DRZ250 it is 2.925. The smooth torquey motor of the XR also makes a big difference.

zeRax
28th December 2006, 09:01
yea, the whole tank thing is because i just want to have the ability, to if i wanted to, just go for incredible distances and not feel like i have to get back to a station

imagine a 20 litre tank, like 500 km's of freedom :D

definatly gonna have to meet up when i get the xr and have a play nordie :>

was reading a bit last night about sprockets, probably gonna have 2 sets of rims and sprockets

Henk
28th December 2006, 11:29
Leave the big tank till later.
I have a 20 l on my TR600 but only because the range with the stock tank was 140 to reserve and 180 to pushing it.
Even those distances aren't a problem, I mainly went bigger because I got sick of stopping at petrol stations twice a week for the commute to work.
On weekend rides you will stopping more often than every 200 km just to give your bum a rest.
Unless of courseyou are touring some of the more remote parts of the south island. then 250 km won't cut it.

zeRax
29th December 2006, 11:21
Merv, i did some looking and i believe u can get UNI foam filter for most of the xr series like here: http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=413&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

an id way rather have to fill up as least often as possible, anyone know where i could get a second set of plastics?

Zukin
3rd January 2007, 09:29
Hi there

Now I am not sure if the newer XR models are the same as the older ones, but I got a larger tank for my XR250 (96 model) that was for an XR400, fits perfectly :yes:
Maybe an option

Cheers Scott

zeRax
6th January 2007, 19:35
nice

also, as a second thought, what about XR 400's ?

cant you get motard ones ready for road ?, could be the halfway point between the 250 and 650, if they come motard style then i could get some different rims like a 21 front

what u think?

kevfromcoro
7th January 2007, 06:21
i think the xr 250 is one of the best bikes ever made..have owned a few.kawasaki have just bought out a neat off roader ..300cc..and weighs 213lbs...but who wants to ride a green bike..stick with the honda....there are lots of mods to do if u wish.....bore it to 280...change front sprocket ...not the rear....saves lengthing the chain..think the standard gearing is fine.hondas a bit tall..so hope u have long legs,..but excell for off road,nah mate stick with the XR....u wont b disapointed..Ride Safe KEV

NordieBoy
7th January 2007, 07:46
i think the xr 250 is one of the best bikes ever made..have owned a few.kawasaki have just bought out a neat off roader ..300cc..and weighs 213lbs...but who wants to ride a green bike..stick with the honda....there are lots of mods to do if u wish.....bore it to 280...change front sprocket ...not the rear....saves lengthing the chain..think the standard gearing is fine.hondas a bit tall..so hope u have long legs,..but excell for off road,nah mate stick with the XR....u wont b disapointed..Ride Safe KEV

The catch with Honda is that people will think you're gay.