PDA

View Full Version : 411 Race Report

scott411
28th December 2006, 09:27
well my first street race was an exciting affair which started badley and got better,

1st problem started on xmas eve, decided to go for a road ride and the zip in my leathers decided to let go, bugger had to find a set of leathers to race in, luckly my cousin lent me a set which saw me though the day,

arriving on the day i deceded to take a walk around the track to get my head around it, i don;t know if this was such a good idea as i found a lot of bumps and it got me a bit nervous,

the leaners practise gave me an idea of the track and i jsut crusied around in this getting used to the sliper clutch i had put in just before xmas, it was great and provided a lot more traction into the corners with out the rear wheel hopping around,

the 1st supermotad practise put us into the dirt section, i made sure i got out fron of this practise as i thought some guys might have a bit of trouble in this section, i had no problems with the jumps and thought i would make a lot of time up inb this sections as the guys on the bigger bikes where having a lot more trouble getting traction.

in the second practise i stalled on ther second lap and got caught in the pack which made putting a clean lap in hard, thier where over 40 bikes in the matard class and this put a lot of bikes out their,

with the motard track we had to go down the opld dummy grid to clean out tyres before we returned to the track proper, we had a 180 degree corner at the end of this and it was very tight. i ended up qualifing 13th which put me in the 3rd row, i was a bit dissapointing for me but i knew i could go faster in the race. the crowd had built up by this stage and you started to notice how close the crowd where espically as you where braking for turn one.

race 1
i got off the line very well but a few of the big bikes passed me in the run to turn 1, onto taupo quay i was about 13th or so but i made a couple of places up in the dirt, then squid got caught up in the 180 degree corner and i think i was about 10th onto the track proper, down off the front straight squid tried to put a very late braking attempt in passing my self and Acky on the # 10 YZF450, he out braked both of us and himself clipping Acky and going down hard, i had to take action to aviod both the bike and squid, i lost a couple of places but made them back up in the dirt, as we came up on the track proper again the red flag had been flown, as i went slowly into the esses i noticed my rear tyre had gone flat, i raced into the pits to repair it, getting the rear wheel out of the RMZ450 is not that easy with a 5" rear rim, but i managed to get the wheel out and tube changed in about 8 minutes, unfortunalty the pump i had would not put the tyre on the bead so i put the wheel on the bike and called into the pirelli tent to get the bead on, i had missed the restart and got only 1 lap in. so dead last in the 1st race was into a good start to the day

race 2
off grtid #41, this would be interesting,
i got a great start passing the next line in front before the finish line, (ok i may have left a tad before the green flag dropped but desperate times call for desperate measures) i went pretty hard into turn one, following a white CRF450 into thier, he made a big hole for me (unforntuly about 3 guys went down) i made up a lot of time in this race and a lot of passes to end up 8th overall, i manged to pass gaundenz gisler on his big white 2 stroke KTM on the last lap in the dirt, on the finish line straight the bike cut out, it sounded like i had run out of fuel, it fired again before the line but then cut out on turn 2, it fired again but died for good on taupo quay, i checked the fuel and still had plenty, i started pushing and they called the tow wagon for me, of all the good luck the pirreli girls where on their for a lap, (my luck was starting to improve), i ened up 4th in the S2 (450 class) in this race

i got back to the pits and removed the fuel tank and found that my wriing for my techeer switch had got hot and was shorting out, a quick electrical tape job and we were ready to go for race 3

race 3 and i had a much better starting grid, i was on the 2nd from the out side on row 2, i got a good jump and was about 10th early, Steven Croad and Brendon Coad got passes me around the cemetary and i decided i needed to harden up a bit asnd start getting a bit more aggresive, i went into the dirt and jumped into the inside of Steven and MItch Rowe putting in a nice MX style block pass, i nearly got gisler as well but decided to give him enough room (you have to be a bit nicer to the elderly) i passes him a lap later in the same plade ending up 7th in that race and 2nd s2 bike. i was pretty happy with the way i rode in this race but i still need some more corner speed on the tarmac.

a few burnouts were done for the crowd.

I had an awesome day, the crowd and track were amazing and i had a great time, thanks to the Wanganui club for putting the dirt section in, it was awesome and i will be back if that section is in.

TonyB
28th December 2006, 10:39
Awesome stuff. Crikey, we've got some talented riders here on KB.... if only it would rub off on me

sugilite
28th December 2006, 13:10
Awesome effort man! :yes:
I think you were pitted just down from me, I'd have lent you my air bottle in a jiffy had I known you needed it.

oldguy
28th December 2006, 13:54
I wondered what happened to you in that first race, great riding mate got a couple of pics here of you in action.

k14
28th December 2006, 14:04
Bro thats awesome. Those results are great, there were some big names up there. Only 363 days to go till next one. You going to do paeroa?

Goblin
28th December 2006, 14:08
Great pics oldguy!

Well done Scott! Awesome to watch you race. :rockon:

Firefight
28th December 2006, 14:27
nice work Scott,

good write up,

might be in the market for a dirt bike soon, will pop in and see you at the shop soon.

F/F

scott411
29th December 2006, 10:24
Bro thats awesome. Those results are great, there were some big names up there. Only 363 days to go till next one. You going to do paeroa?

at this stage i am doing pearoa, it will be quite hard to keep up with the big bikes with a 450 and a 4 speed gear box, i will just have to hit the corners harder :)

thanks for the photos and comments guys, ill keep up the reports

Torque
2nd January 2007, 08:58
Good stuff, Allot of fun ay! I will be back next year.:yes: