PDA

View Full Version : VFR400, is it worth a look?

kneescraper
28th December 2006, 21:43
Ok so 6 hours ago I watched my RGV ride off into the sunset...the good thing is I have cash burning a hole in my pocket... Ive got a iching for a project bike..a fix-a-upper. Ive been looking at Honda's because well I love them :gob: :dodge: . Im still waiting to hear back from HDTboy to see weither he will sell me his CBR400 cheap. However seen as I have 2 weeks off work Ive been searching trademe and Ive come across this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=82210725 that is only 2-3 hours away. Its caught my eye because, well its Honda and its one of the hottest bikes Honda ever made, hell the hottest any bike makers made....but is it worth the cash hes wanting. The auction has finished, didnt meet reserve but least I know what the reserve is. I have searched www.justfairings.co.nz and found its $600 for top and bottom fairings which is all good...but are the other parts real expensive for these bikes. Taking to note I can do all mechanical work my self with out probs.

Thoughts needed guys! Thanks in advanced. :done:

nudemetalz
28th December 2006, 22:18
Well as long as the motor is in good nick and you realise it is a "project" bike then go for it if you get it at a good price.

NC30's are great bikes and fun to ride. Fast (if not already) becoming a cult bike.

kneescraper
28th December 2006, 22:21
Fast (if not already) becoming a cult bike

Your not wrong, the prices they are going for are wrong..well for the buyers anyway.

By project I mean get it upto WOF standard in a couple weeks and finish the rest while riding it :). Might be worth a closer look...are parts for these bikes hard and expensive to come across/buy?

nudemetalz
28th December 2006, 22:24
There are a few NC30 owners here on the forum who could tell you, but Malcolm at Econohonda is excellent to deal with. I suggest ringing him just to suss out some spares availability etc.

scracha
28th December 2006, 23:05
There are a few NC30 owners here on the forum who could tell you, but Malcolm at Econohonda is excellent to deal with. I suggest ringing him just to suss out some spares availability etc.

Ask to speak to the "ging'ger tim" who works there....:sunny:

TygerTung
28th December 2006, 23:21
They go pretty hard my mate has an earlier '86 and he got clocked at 214 trying to get away from the cops which I reckon is pretty good for an 80's 400!!!!

gamgee
29th December 2006, 05:53
yeah so long as motor is all good buy it, anything up to $1500 is a good deal for that, assuming it's as described (the guy seems pretty straight up about what is wrong) I'd budget around $2-2500 for getting it to mint condition
here are the costs I know
front fairing set - $650 from justfairings.co.nz
painting $700-$1000 depending on if you know someone in the trade
chain and sprockets $250ish (if you fit yourself)
fork seals and red line oil $100 (if you fit and clean them out yourself)
4l motul oil and filter - around $80 from memory

the rest would be just a matter of keeping an eye out on trademe for or all the wreckers etc, I think a few of the cosmetic parts are compatible with the CBR400rr NC21 eg the front screen is, not sure what else, if you manage to find a set of good cheap indicators surplus to your needs could you let me know, as I would like a new set for my bike

aff-man
29th December 2006, 08:32
mate if your willing to put in the hours and the engine is still sweet, you could get the bike back into mint condition for about $1200 on top of cost of bike. So probably budget $3000 for the whole thing.

kneescraper
29th December 2006, 08:55
mate if your willing to put in the hours and the engine is still sweet, you could get the bike back into mint condition for about $1200 on top of cost of bike. So probably budget $3000 for the whole thing.

Thats the price I was thinking which is all good. I'll investigate further...

Swoop
29th December 2006, 19:41
VFR400, is it worth a look?

Heathen!
It's a VFR, so OF COURSE!!!!

*This completely unbiased opinion brought to you by Swoop*:done:

gav
29th December 2006, 22:47
How much do you want to spend? Rather than $600 on the fairing, why not spend extra and get the Tyga RCV look a like kit? Might end up owing you $5000 rather than $3000 but would have a pretty cool bike? Have you seen the Casey Stoner rep?
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47280&d=1164969756
OK, its an RVF400, but some RGV USD forks can be fitted if you want to an NC30.

But again, you could buy this for $4500 and spend that time riding rather than mucking around with some old shitter!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-82441787.htm

Satch
29th December 2006, 23:30
oh no other people are interested in it!!! i better get my arse into gear on that one. The worst thing that concerns me with it is the bent rear subframe, could be a bit tricky but im confident i can fix it. ive had quite a few conversations with the owner and were sussing out shipping etc