PDA

View Full Version : Hammond back on bike for first time since near-fatal crash

Bob
29th December 2006, 01:24
Richard Hammond has taken his first ride on his Fireblade since his near-fatal crash in a jet-car. The ‘Top Gear’ presenter described it as being “fantastic”. He said “I can’t believe how good that was, although the first few minutes were wobbly. It's not like I had forgotten how to ride but I did have to really think about what I was doing. It still felt perfectly natural, just my naturally cautious riding temperament has perhaps gone up a notch or two."

"It felt like a fantastic connection straight back to a time when I hadn't suffered a brain injury and life was a lot simpler," he added "That's why I ride a bike. I can come out of a TV studio or the big meeting doing grown-up stuff - but the moment I get on a bike I'm exactly the same person I was 15 or 20 years ago."

Lou Girardin
29th December 2006, 05:49
That's why there are so many BAB's.
Good for Hamster.

NordieBoy
29th December 2006, 06:50
:rockon:

:scooter:

McJim
29th December 2006, 07:10
Good for the Hamster - is he back to writing in the MCN yet?

jonbuoy
29th December 2006, 07:13
Good on him, shame Jeremy Clarkson is so anti bike or we would probably see more two wheel action on top gear.

Motu
29th December 2006, 08:53
Good on him, shame Jeremy Clarkson is so anti bike or we would probably see more two wheel action on top gear.

Duh,Clarkson makes fun of Lada's too,but I don't hold that against him.He's not anti bike,I bet he was rapt to see the Hampster back on a bike....so am I.

jonbuoy
29th December 2006, 09:50
10chars............

jonbuoy
29th December 2006, 09:56
Duh,Clarkson makes fun of Lada's too,but I don't hold that against him.He's not anti bike,I bet he was rapt to see the Hampster back on a bike....so am I.

Duh yourself Motu - he has always been anti bike and made fucking retarded comments about "hooking up cheesewire across biker roads" and "not worrying about hitting bikes because they will only dent his car". Maybe just to wind people up but pretty irritating to your average biker. 5Th gear have shootouts and comparos and even bike road tests. Clarkson is and always will be a tool.

jonbuoy
29th December 2006, 09:58
http://www.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/10142005112722MWED4N.htm

Motu
29th December 2006, 10:24
So that's the sort of stuff you fill your mind with! If he was that bad do you think Hammond and May would be on the same program as him? Why does Hammond just smile and shrug it of and not give full vent to his obvious anger at the cretin Clarkson? Did you see Clarkson at the 'Ring talking to the guys about to go out on their bikes? Everyone was smiling and they were obviously enjoying their talk with him.You have a pretty thin skin I think.

jonbuoy
29th December 2006, 10:40
This is totally off topic but - I reckon you should pull your head in & check your facts before dismissing mine. Piss taking and his previous comments of "looking like gay power rangers" or general "bikes are slow comments" are just in fun. But someone was actually taken out by a wire put accross a greenlane by a farmer something I'm sure you wouldn't want to happen to you on your off road travels. And other attacks against bikes - diesel on corners near villages have also happened which is what made his comments so unwelcome in the biker community.

Switch
29th December 2006, 11:01
Good on Hammond :D

Cant wait to see them back on T.V
:done:

Finn
29th December 2006, 11:36
Jonbuoy, don't take Clarkson so seriously. Love him or hate him, it's the most popular CAR show on TV.

I like him.

jonbuoy
29th December 2006, 11:42
yeah he is normally funny just thought he stepped over the line I'm not the only one - especially with shit like this happening:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006110309,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_counties/3650012.stm

Sorry for the temporary hijack.

Motu
29th December 2006, 13:09
You sure know how to fuck up a good thread about a guy getting back on a bike after brain damage with your own personal agenda don't you?

Toaster
29th December 2006, 13:11

Probably becasue the fatboy can't ride a bike as well as he drives and would make an ass of himself? He is a funny boy tho'

Motu
29th December 2006, 13:46
Uh...how about we make this a thread about Hammond?

onearmedbandit
29th December 2006, 14:02
On topic please guys.

jonbuoy
29th December 2006, 14:27
You sure know how to fuck up a good thread about a guy getting back on a bike after brain damage with your own personal agenda don't you?

Get over it you grumpy old bastard it was a passing comment that you jumped on.

Motu
29th December 2006, 15:38
But you couldn't let it past to stick the knife into Clarkson while passing could you? Pat old Richard on the back and kick his mate in the arse while he's not looking.

Two Smoker
29th December 2006, 17:02
Settle down ladies... hehehe

Onya Hamster :niceone:

NighthawkNZ
29th December 2006, 17:25
Richard Hammond has taken his first ride on his Fireblade since his near-fatal crash in a jet-car. The ‘Top Gear’ presenter described it as being “fantastic”. He said “I can’t believe how good that was, although the first few minutes were wobbly. It's not like I had forgotten how to ride but I did have to really think about what I was doing. It still felt perfectly natural, just my naturally cautious riding temperament has perhaps gone up a notch or two."

"It felt like a fantastic connection straight back to a time when I hadn't suffered a brain injury and life was a lot simpler," he added "That's why I ride a bike. I can come out of a TV studio or the big meeting doing grown-up stuff - but the moment I get on a bike I'm exactly the same person I was 15 or 20 years ago."
Just saw that on the news... kewl
Go Hamster

Swoop
29th December 2006, 19:49
Great news on the "short one". Back on his Honda, so he'll be perfectly safe.

MotoGirl
29th December 2006, 20:46
It's awesome to hear he's going to be OK. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing him back on TV - he's the only reason I watch Top Gear :love:

Chisanga
30th December 2006, 12:04
One wonders how Hamster manages to get his feet on the ground whilst on that bike - The new models have a seat height of 813mm and i'm not sure if Hammond is taller than that :)

But nevertheless excellent news, he seems on track to make a full recovery :)

Animal
30th December 2006, 23:00
yeah he is normally funny just thought he stepped over the line I'm not the only one - especially with shit like this happening:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006110309,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_counties/3650012.stm

Sorry for the temporary hijack.
Well, that sure as hell killed the thread. Let's hope we never see that kind of insanity here!
However, good news that Hamster is on the up-and-up! :)

elle-f
31st December 2006, 13:23
Gay Power Rangers?:laugh: now that cracked me up!

kneescraper
1st January 2007, 13:12
Awesome to hear that hes up and riding again, there is a interesting write up in the November issue of BIKE mag. Why Clarkson hates bikers..or something like that, I'll have to dig the mag out again for a read. Interesting read really, he does come out of the closet and confess to liking the Ducati 916. After reading that interview its quite clear he is anti-biker. Never mind...not our problem if he dislikes bikers. Hes the one thats gotta live with looking like a twat...but you have to admit he is a very good host on that TV show...what ever its called.:whocares:

Back to Hammond, hes a awesome guy with great taste in cars and bikes. I wish him all the best.! :rockon:

NordieBoy
2nd January 2007, 21:33
Great news on the "short one". Back on his Honda, so he'll be perfectly safe.

He's also got a Harley to ride with his wife on her bike.

The Pastor
3rd January 2007, 12:26
I think the big JC (top gear, not the man upstairs) is only anti bikes on his show, its just for entertainment as hammond is a biker so they make him the opersite of hammond just to have more arguments etc. I wouldnt belive a word he says about anything.

vifferman
3rd January 2007, 12:38
An interesting comment from Clarkson was the one time he tried to rid ea bike, it scared the crap out of him. He just couldn't handle it at all.

Hamster's on TV tonight, in a show called "Braniacs". Shame it's on at 5:30.

Bob
4th January 2007, 01:26
Brainiac - excellent show. Basically it is science made interesting!

The one where Jon Tickle walks on custard is an utter classic! Hammond also races a fire-extinguisher powered wheelchair at some stage.

Tape it and enjoy. It is a great laugh... and they blow up an awful lot of caravans...

Flyingpony
4th January 2007, 08:11
You think Hammond has a fetish for destroying caravans?
He destroyed them on Top Gear and now on Brainiac too!

Macktheknife
4th January 2007, 10:40
Glad to hear the hamster is back in good health, good man that one. As for Clarkson, lighten up, he is just a TV show host. True they do have one of the best jobs on earth between the 3 of them, but I reckon the hamster is the 'best of show'.