PDA

View Full Version : Dyno tune help + exhaust.

The Pastor
29th December 2006, 16:57
:scooter: BIKE 1986 GPZ1000RX (ZX1000A1):scooter:

So I orderd a dynojet kit for my bike today from amps.

No worries there. Go on downstairs to the shop to see about a dyno tune /install if the labour is cheap the conversation went like this,

"err we don't touch bikes older than 10 years max, usally the cutoff is 5 years"

'err why?'

"err we like it up the bum".:buggerd:

So where can I get my dynojet kit installed and dyno tuned? (I probably can install it myself no worries, but im kinda lazy and got cash - finally )

Also Im wanting to get a 4 into 1 exhaust and new muffler for my bike, im guessing being such an old heavy POS, its gotta be built from scatch? - well the 4 into 1 bit anyways. - Who should I see about this? How much should I budget for?

And just for your info, Im getting new brake lines for the front, new brake pads, new brake discs (will see how the brakes are after new pads and lines tho) and hopefully going up a few teath on the rear sprocket. - Yes I will finally have some brakes!

Also, im not sure if this is on the topic but winja told me to get an ignition advancer for my bike.
"IGNITION ADVANCER IS WHERE YOU CHANGE THE STANDARD IGNITION WHEEL WHICH IS BEHIND THE LEFT HAND CRANK END COVER FOR A 3 OR SOMETIMES 5 DEGREE ADVANCED WHEEL "

Where do I get one of those from? Are they expensive?

Thanks (in advance) for your help.

Rm

Two Smoker
29th December 2006, 17:47
Try Henderson Yamaha for Dyno Work... Custom Chambers in East Tamaki will build you and exhaust... Dont know about the advancer...

Crisis management
29th December 2006, 19:12
Wot Two smoker said, custom chambers should be around $800 for an exhaust.... You can do your own ignition advance by slotting the existing ignition mounting plate, however I would do the exhaust, jets, dyno and then, only if you need it, do the ignition advance.
The ignition advance seems to be a common modification of eighties in line 4's but usually only if the cams where altered, ie. higher lift, longer duration cams fitted which required an ignition timing change. So.... I would do the Dyno first and get some advice before playing with the ignition.

Have fun

limbimtimwim
30th December 2006, 01:41
http://factorypro.com/ make an ignition advancer for your bike. I've had a couple of dealings with them, they really know their stuff.

They also make a carb kit for it, but you got a dynojet, so they won't help you with that :) .

Lou Girardin
30th December 2006, 05:28
They don't want to do older bikes because of the chance of a rod making a break for freedom.
Dyno runs are hard on engines.

PS If you'd seen me for the kit, I would've done you a deal.

The Pastor
30th December 2006, 09:06
Try Henderson Yamaha for Dyno Work... Custom Chambers in East Tamaki will build you and exhaust... Dont know about the advancer...

Did you mean Henderson Motorcycles Ltd 6 View Rd Henderson Auckland 0-9-838 5899? I gave them a ring yesterday and asked, and they told me they dont have a dyno? Can you check the number plz - maybe I dialed the wrong number by mistake and somehow managed to get another bike shop?

Wot Two smoker said, custom chambers should be around $800 for an exhaust.... You can do your own ignition advance by slotting the existing ignition mounting plate, however I would do the exhaust, jets, dyno and then, only if you need it, do the ignition advance.
The ignition advance seems to be a common modification of eighties in line 4's but usually only if the cams where altered, ie. higher lift, longer duration cams fitted which required an ignition timing change. So.... I would do the Dyno first and get some advice before playing with the ignition.

Have fun

Yeah I think that will be the last mod I do. From the website, it sounds like it would go well with a larger rear sprocket :)

http://factorypro.com/ make an ignition advancer for your bike. I've had a couple of dealings with them, they really know their stuff.

How much do they charge for shipping to nz? Do they take paypal? What the quality of the product like?

PS If you'd seen me for the kit, I would've done you a deal.

Yeah, I was going to say hi but I was really ment to be at work 1hr ago, in the north shore... But The price was alright, 20 bucks cheaper than when I last rang up and asked :D

Thanks for all your help.

limbimtimwim
30th December 2006, 09:36
How much do they charge for shipping to nz? I had a dig through my emails with them, and couldn't see how much they charged me last time. But I think they are just charging what it costs to airmail it.
Do they take paypal?Don't think so. I just called them and gave them my credit card details. Nothing suspicious has ever happened, so I guess I trust them
What the quality of the product like?First carb kit I got, one of the needles was a tiny bit rough to touch, you couldn't see the imperfection, but you could feel it with you fingernail. They replaced it at no cost and were quite apologetic. Everything else of theirs has been engineering art. I can't speak for their ignition advancers, but at USD$50 they better be bloody good for a little bit of metal.[/QUOTE]

The Pastor
1st January 2007, 17:39
I forgot to add, is it possable to get a *NEW* rear shock for these bikes? I don't want a 2nd hand unit. Has to be new. I had a google venture but didnt really find anything.

Cheers

Rm

geoffm
7th January 2007, 12:15
We can have a play with it on my dyno if you want. PM me if you are interested.
The likes of Hagon will do a shock, and for the well heeled, there are a couple of people that will build you an Ohlins to fit anything.
Geoff