PDA

View Full Version : No top end power - Won't rev

ZorsT
29th December 2006, 19:17
After a lowside the other day, My bike has issues.
Normally on an RG-150, from 8000 RPM onwards, the power keeps coming at a faster and faster rate (commonly known as powerband)
I think i broke my powerband.
Does anyone know where I could buy a replacment? Not even part of it is there, so i'll need the whole thing. It feels like someone stole it actually,
The power is smooth... just lacking.
It won't rev past 11500 RPM (normally will rev right up to 12500)
:innocent:

stanko
29th December 2006, 19:35
Check that the powervalve is operating. thats the gizmo just above the exhaust port. Im guessing that the electrical connectors for the PV motor may have been upset. There was sombody on here with a scanned manual for your bike, get the detials on checking/setting the PV. If you need more help PM Oyster on this forum , he has vast experience with RG150 engines and may know exactly the cause.

ZorsT
29th December 2006, 19:45
Already checked that they're operating. At first I thought the servo motor had stripped the (nylon) teeth on its cog, but i took it apart and its all good in there. Hopefully i'll get time to take it to bits tomorow.

Edit: I also drained the carb and checked the plug colour. Plug colour was spot on.
I know in 250GP bikes they put a bigger base gasket on if it won't rev fully to take into consideration play in the bearings, but i don't think an RG150 would have that problem.

Ixion
29th December 2006, 21:16
Did you mabe dent the exhaust? Or knock a baffle loose? And have you changed the plug? Yes, I know it's good, but it's a two smoker.

Racey Rider
29th December 2006, 21:28
Did the crash knock some carbon off, blocking the exhaust which is now affecting the air flow through the motor at high rev's?

wendigo
29th December 2006, 21:33
Haven't squashed the tuned exhaust have you?

More likely, it sounds as if you disloged some coke on the walls of the exhaust during your fall, which is bunging up the stinger/baffles stopping the motor revving out.

When was the last time you de-coked the exhaust?

ZorsT
30th December 2006, 13:02
Did you mabe dent the exhaust? Or knock a baffle loose? And have you changed the plug? Yes, I know it's good, but it's a two smoker.
The silencer is dented. The actual chamber is fine.

Did the crash knock some carbon off, blocking the exhaust which is now affecting the air flow through the motor at high rev's?
could well be. I should have de-coked the piston crown(?) when i put it back together last week.

Haven't squashed the tuned exhaust have you?

More likely, it sounds as if you disloged some coke on the walls of the exhaust during your fall, which is bunging up the stinger/baffles stopping the motor revving out.

When was the last time you de-coked the exhaust?
This sounds like the problem. I'll change exausts and see.

ZorsT
30th December 2006, 14:46
changed exausts, still same problem. I sprayed CRC around the carb and inlet manifold to check its not an airleak. I'm stumped

Mr. Peanut
30th December 2006, 16:44
I had the same problem when I dropped my NSR, which may or may not apply to you.

Check that the cable hasn't come off the oil pump, mine had and it flooded the engine with oil. Took a few decent rides before it would rev out again.

ZorsT
2nd January 2007, 16:24
OK, I learnt something.

DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS dumbarse

See, I was too lazy to drain the coolant and take the powervalves out when I checked they were working, I just warmed the bike up and revved it into powerband and made sure the cable was moving aroundabout when it should.

Took them out today - Carboned up real bad. Its odd, since I cleaned them on boxing day (I think).

De-carboned them and put it all together and its back to normal.
Cheers for your help