PDA

View Full Version : Restore Black Plastic...

degrom
30th December 2006, 08:35
Hi.

I am looking for silicon type product that will restore the black plastic that covers part of the instrument panel on most bikes.(Same black plastic they used on older car's for black bumpers)

They tend to turn gray after a few years.

I am not familiar with the local products and would like a few recommendations that will do the job

Thanks.

boomer
30th December 2006, 08:44
armoural works mate..so does wd40, furniture polish or any sticky, wet sybstance.. alledgedly ;)

Idrumm
30th December 2006, 09:18
CRC 808 silicone spray works well for me, I use it in on the painted surfaces as well with excellent results.

About $10.00 from you local Warehouse.

stanko
30th December 2006, 11:01
The car groomers next door use silicone oil mixed with white spirits. Not as slipery as Armourall

toymachine
30th December 2006, 15:45
Silicon spray looks like but doesn't last that long... anyway to bring them back in a more permanent fashion? All the black plastics on my VFR have been severely weathered...

imdying
30th December 2006, 17:36
OAB gave me some green gunge years ago just for this purpose. Maybe he'll know the name, or can ask one of his groomers to find out.

degrom
30th December 2006, 17:57
OAB gave me some green gunge years ago just for this purpose. Maybe he'll know the name, or can ask one of his groomers to find out.

Yes,please find out what it was called. I am sure there are a few people that would want to know.

degrom
30th December 2006, 18:04
Just tried out a product I bought this morning. It's called "Naturally BLACK"...

No I am not talking about hair diy... It's made by Mothers(Chip Foose endorses them) and on the bottle it says : "Revitalize & Beautify All Color Exterior Trim, Bumpers, Bumper Guards and flat blacks"

I have tried it on my ZX-10 and it works okay. You might just have to do a few treatments depending on the state of the plastic. I have done it twice and it's starting to look like it should.

Hope this could help. (Mitre 10 - $17.95)

Drum
30th December 2006, 18:33
I normally use armourall for that kind of stuff, but don't get that shit near your seat!

Ronin
30th December 2006, 18:43
I normally use armourall for that kind of stuff, but don't get that shit near your seat!

Tell me about it. I took elle's Radian for a ride and nearly left my nuts on the tank at the first round a bout. Mumble :sick:

MotoGirl
30th December 2006, 18:45
I used to be a professional car groomer and use a product called Vulcanize, which is made by Pacer.

I used to use this on car bumpers, the black strips half-way up the doors, the front grill, and black plastic mirrors etc. This is the same stuff the professional car groomers use.

I deal with John Anderson (the BOP rep), but you can contact Pacer Car Clean Products via 0800 472 237.

degrom
30th December 2006, 19:13
I used to be a professional car groomer and use a product called Vulcanize, which is made by Pacer.

I used to use this on car bumpers, the black strips half-way up the doors, the front grill, and black plastic mirrors etc. This is the same stuff the professional car groomers use.

I deal with John Anderson (the BOP rep), but you can contact Pacer Car Clean Products via 0800 472 237.

Thanks for the info... :rockon:

TonyB
30th December 2006, 19:17
Armorall or Wynns Revive works well, but after a few weeks the black returns to grey.

merv
30th December 2006, 19:24
I've used VHT Vinyl & Carpet Spray Dye which you spray on and let dry just likka paint and it really does a good lasting job.

arj127
31st December 2006, 15:09
heating the plastic a little with a heat gun. It will turn dark black fairly quickly, then you can protect it after it has cooled with silicon. I use a heat gun on any of the bent gaurds on my YZF250 if they have white crease marks in them. Takes the mark out and returns the gaurd to blue.

degrom
31st December 2006, 16:06
heating the plastic a little with a heat gun. It will turn dark black fairly quickly, then you can protect it after it has cooled with silicon. I use a heat gun on any of the bent gaurds on my YZF250 if they have white crease marks in them. Takes the mark out and returns the gaurd to blue.

That's an interesting approach. Makes sense!!!
(I am busy fixing my ZX's fairing's and when you heat the ABS plastic it turns almost into rubber. In that state you can form the plastic and move it back to it's original state. When it's turning back to normal temperature it hardens)

I imagine you should just be careful not to overheat them.

Thanks for the tip,will give it a try. :Punk:

arj127
31st December 2006, 21:02
dont overheat it. If the plastic is slightly dimpled and you overheat it, it will go flat. You soon learn how much to heat. I always go over my mx panels before i sell the bike this way.

Pixie
1st January 2007, 23:42
303 Protectant
It's superior to Armoural
http://www.303products.com/main.php
Available from TopFab Ltd.
Box 21-722
Henderson, Auckland
New Zealand
Tel: [64] 9 836 5445
Fax: [64] 9 836 3759

one-speed