PDA

View Full Version : First ride up the 'Takas today (30 December)

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 14:51
...on the Guzzi V11.
Boy, what an experience !!! All the of Guzzi owners said ride them how they should be ridden or they will bite.
Well mine bit me a couple of times !!
I tried the hard up to the corner, hard brakes while starting the lean, lean over and power out approach...and it did not like that !!!
The shaft reaction dropped my line in too narrow and the engine torque reaction made it run too wide !!!
Thank god for the overtaking lane saving me !!!

So, I tried the power up to the corner, hard brakes while upright, lean into the corner with a neutral throttle and then power out progressively.
Much better !!!

I have to say, the sound of the big twin going down through the gears and also doing 8000rpm bouncing off the wall is something to behold.
Big smile material !!

Anyway enough drivel from me, thought I would share this experience.

RantyDave
30th December 2006, 15:00
The shaft reaction dropped my line in too narrow and the engine torque reaction made it run too wide !!!
Does it do the same thing on the opposite corner? If so, I suspect it's the suspension and not the shaft.

Not that I know shit, but this guy does...

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/motorcycleSuspensionSetup.htm

Dave

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 15:04
Does it do the same thing on the opposite corner? If so, I suspect it's the suspension and not the shaft.

Not that I know shit, but this guy does...

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/motorcycleSuspensionSetup.htm

Dave

The rear drops down when the power comes off, but I was also leaning to the left at the same time.
The engine torque reaction is only on left handers as putting on the power pulls it to the right.
Hope this all makes sense.

But you are right to a degree, I am slowly sorting out the suspension for me.

Thanks for the link.

merv
30th December 2006, 15:15
Doesn't sound like the kind of "character" I would enjoy. I like my bikes soft and sensual.

Nothing like experience though eh!

laRIKin
30th December 2006, 15:37
Very quickly.

I brake, release brake, tip into corner and (then) on the gas right though the corner.

On the older bikes with integrated brakes, if to fast or got a wobble or bounce on, you would drag the foot brake to stabilise or slow down a bit.
You would keep the power on and I use to gas up even a bit more and release the rear brake slowly.

This will not work as well on the newer Guzzi's as they do not have integrated bakes, but I still drag the rear brake a bit before I think about throttling off.

pritch
30th December 2006, 15:55
I used to own a K100RS and didn't corner much differently to what I do now.
That "much differently" is mainly occasioned by the fact the Hornet may be thrown around more easily than a K100.

Any bike will tighten its line if you chop the throttle in a corner, similarly all bikes widen the line if you gas it and they should all hold a constant line while you maintain constant throttle. Properly set up bikes all lose ground clearance if you suddenly shut the throttle in a corner.

Get your suspension right and follow normal good cornering practice as described in many books and magazine articles and you should be fine. The shaft effect shouldn't be a problem.

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 16:47
When leaned over and powered off it felt like the rear end dropped but then the engine torque picked the bike up and went way off where I wanted the bike to go despite lots of countersteering.
Like has been said before, the suspension isn't quite rightly setup for me, but I'm working on it.
My "Guzzi Technique" needs to be learned still as well.

Apart from those scary couple of moments, riding the Guzzi up the Rimutakas was a sheer joy indeed and made me feel like I had made the right bike choice for sure. Just a little more vocals from the exhausts is needed now.

Colapop
30th December 2006, 17:22
Had the opportunity to see one "up close and personal" like, in Mt Eden Motamacycles today ('zactly like yours). They is a sexy beast. If I had more time I might have conned a test ride on it... Woulda been interesting to see you on the Taka's with yours

Trudes
30th December 2006, 17:27
Nice one nudez, it is a cool bike and I'm sure there will be many more 'test runs' up the Takas!:sunny:

laRIKin
30th December 2006, 18:03
Like has been said before, the suspension isn't quite rightly setup for me, but I'm working on it.

These may be of some help.

http://www.racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilheight.htm

http://www.strappe.com/suspension.html

Rik

laRIKin
30th December 2006, 19:14
riding the Guzzi ......... was a sheer joy indeed and made me feel like I had made the right bike choice for sure.

Yea we like them as well.

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 19:37
IMO, the only thing nicer than a V11 is two V11's !!! :yes:

Here's mine today after I finished polishing her just before I went on my ride.

(thanks for the links too, Lemans)

Swoop
30th December 2006, 21:02
I'm guessing that your year off has ended?
Prognosis is good I suspect!!!

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 21:03
Pretty much. Just have to take it quietly (like today,..yeah right) for a few months.

laRIKin
30th December 2006, 21:09
Your bike looks nicer every time I see it.
And the pic's are getting better as well.

Now do you want to clean mine?:dodge:
Now take it out and get some bugs on it.:soon: :devil2:

Clivoris
30th December 2006, 21:14
Top news mate. Look forward to seeing it out and about when I can get leave.

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 21:34
Sweet as !!

When I was up the top I heard two v-twins making lotsa noise coming up, and boy did they sound glorious.
It was an RSV and a 996. Makes me think I need louder pipes !!

Clivoris
30th December 2006, 21:49
That's the truth mate. Hasn't the original owner got a set of neptunes? Hassle him for a good deal:yes:

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 22:03
He has indeed but to be honest I'm not really thrilled with those high-pipes.
In my mind they spoil the appearance of the Guzzi. Also lose the original hangers and pegs.
Each to their own I guess.

Wasp
30th December 2006, 22:12
good on ya nm, see you up there again soon!

Clivoris
30th December 2006, 22:17
He has indeed but to be honest I'm not really thrilled with those high-pipes.
In my mind they spoil the appearance of the Guzzi. Also lose the original hangers and pegs.
Each to their own I guess.

What if you scored the cans cheep and the neptune guy knocked up some link pipes that position them where you want them? Other options can get scary expensive.

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 22:21
Hmmmm.......well they are a GOOD price.....
I have priced up newbies...errr, which part of the house should I sell....?

More talks with the Missus, ....is it possible to ride well with a black eye??

Clivoris
30th December 2006, 22:30
Hmmmm.......well they are a GOOD price.....
I have priced up newbies...errr, which part of the house should I sell....?

More talks with the Missus, ....is it possible to ride well with a black eye??

LOL. I've got a good mate with a black arse, and it actually seems to make him go faster.
I'm also stuck in something of a perpetual cycle of spending money we don't have. *Wife says* "You're not getting those pipes till we get the DVS". DVS goes in in double quick time. We can't get the dynotune until the windows are painted....etc. God bless rising house prices.

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 22:37
Ha ha I can so relate to that..."When are we going to redo the deck, we were supposed to have started that weeks ago, yet you want new pipes for your bike"
My retaliation speech of "Hey didn't we just buy you a new bike?" doesn't get me anywhere.

But then I get the "Oh, if you really want them just go and buy them!!"
Now I know if I do that...man, am I in bigtime crap !!

Clivoris
30th December 2006, 22:46
Maate. Those pipes sound like a bargain, and she loves the bike as much as you do.:yes: My race bike has cost me the promise of a new bathroom. I'm just pleased that I've had a vasectomy...I shudder to think what she'd want otherwise for a dynotune, sprockets and chain, and tyres on the Ape, plus tyres for the race bike. It's cheaper to do house renovations I reckon.

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 22:51
Oh dear, life as a poor married fullah with a money hungry Italian bike.....

Yup, I will definitely have to rediscuss the limitations of the restrictive & emmisions-friendly nature of the standard and heavy exhausts that Moto Guzzi supply for their 2002 model V11.

Clivoris
30th December 2006, 22:59
Haha. Wouldn't change a thing. If you like, When I get back from holidays I'll pop round with a bottle of wine for the missus and let her hear my lovely free-breathing v-twin. She'll be putty in your hands:laugh:

nudemetalz
30th December 2006, 23:02
Hmmm,...sounds like a grand idea, old chap. I'll have some Black-Label waiting to be opened in celebration, you bring the Coke.

Swoop
31st December 2006, 09:45
Pretty much. Just have to take it quietly (like today,..yeah right) for a few months.

Bloody EXCELLENT!!!:niceone:

Dodgyiti
6th January 2007, 13:19
Guzzi's have always been a riders bike, and your right- get it wrong and they will bite.
Termi pipes are the real sh*t for newer Guzzi's like yours, and LaFranconi's for the older ones.
Nice to jump on a newish bike and find that all the fun hasnt been engineered out of it eh?
Rock on and see you at the rally in October...

Daffyd
6th January 2007, 15:30
Looks bloody great!

nudemetalz
8th January 2007, 09:42
Went for another ride up the 'Takas yesterday. Went at a slower pace than the normal frenetic one and instead concentrated on the correct lines. Also worked on throttle control and braking with the Guzzi and hey guess what !!....it's all starting to gel. When you ride the Guzzi how it is supposed to be ridden, it rewards you big time.
My friend who was following on the Cyclone said the Guzzi looked nice and composed through the corners.

Getting there !!

Sheeez, it must sound like I'm rambling on, but I'm just sharing my new found love for my machine.