PDA

View Full Version : First trail ride for 10yrs, boots question

soundbeltfarm
1st January 2007, 08:35
going on my first organised trail ride for 10 yrs and am looking forward to it.
got rid of all my old mx gear ages ago and want to know what people think of using my old road boots, they stylemartin jerez and are pretty softish.
or you reckon just wear gumboots or workboots.
cheers
SBF

Firefight
1st January 2007, 09:30
road boots would be better than gum boots, whens the ride, can lend ya some moto x boots if you got a way of getting them down there in time.

F/F

crazyxr250rider
1st January 2007, 10:34
What ride are you going on??? overals and lace up john bulls are the busines for trail rides ,sick of cleaning all my fancy gear

trumpy
1st January 2007, 11:53
I'd can the gumboots idea if I were you. Tree stumps can hurt big time even in proper motocross boots!

soundbeltfarm
1st January 2007, 12:08
Thanks for the offer of lending me your boots man , but i'l try to sort something as i think ride this sat or sunday.

the rides out at pungarehu im told.
it is part of my mates stag night.
he a real keen trail rider so a group of us are going to do it.

Motu
1st January 2007, 12:14
We used to use fireman's gumboots for trials - they have a steel toe cap and shank,and ankle pretection of sorts too.I have a pair of lace up gumboots with steel toe cap and shank too,I used to wear them on real muddy trail rides.

soundbeltfarm
1st January 2007, 21:08
i was wrong ,
the ride is this sundat out at Purangi not pungarehu as i stated earlier.
am looking forward to it.

Danger
1st January 2007, 23:19
You really want a stiff stiff boot for trail riding. More so than MX. As stated those tree stumps and even tree roots sticking out of the sides of ruts can really hurt. I had some Crossbows, and they were too light. Ok for MX but if I hit a stump or tree root it used to feel like I had broken my whole foot. I would pull over and inspect the foot and it would get severe bruising, and make you very gun shy.
I have replaced those with some BeriK OVS. These are alot stiffer through the sole and now my foot generally gets knocked back off the pegs and might sting momentarilly, but I've yet to have to stop and pull the boot and suffer any bruising.
Its always a stump that you fail to see as well. Try to ride on the balls of your feet, not always easy when your on the brake and gear levers all the time, but worth thinking about.