PDA

View Full Version : Sh 43

Vagabond
1st January 2007, 09:51
Hey guys I was bored the other day and was having a look through my map and came across SH43, marked on the map as the 'Heritage Trail' and I think it's also known as the 'Forgotten Highway' correct me if I'm wrong.

SH43 runs between Taumarunui and Stratford.

Now I know that the middle section has a bit of metal but wanted to know if anyone has been down it lately and what sort of condition it's actually in?
Bearing in mind I will be doing it on my Z1000 :scooter:

No dates planned as yet but when I next find myself with a bit of freedom I'm keen to try it out!

Your thoughts suggestions welcomed!:yes:

Firefight
1st January 2007, 10:00
Did this road in Novemeber in a vehicle slightly bigger than the road was designed for, (got there, but only just) great drive lots of cool scenery, would be good on a bike if you were not in too much of a hurry, and the weather was okay.. pm me if you need more info.

F/F

edit, heres a link thingy that may be of interst

http://www.forest-lodge.co.nz/Forgotten_Highway.htm

Vagabond
1st January 2007, 10:14
Hey that was a cool linky thingy, which way would you recommend going? ie from Stratford up or Taumarunui down, bearing in mind if on the dirt I prefer riding uphill!

P.S. I learnt not to be in a hurry whilst touring unless the road is really twisty then I can't help myself but to have a little fun!

Cheers mate!

Firefight
1st January 2007, 10:22
Hey that was a cool linky thingy, which way would you recommend going? ie from Stratford up or Taumarunui down, bearing in mind if on the dirt I prefer riding uphill!

P.S. I learnt not to be in a hurry whilst touring unless the road is really twisty then I can't help myself but to have a little fun!

Cheers mate!

Ive only done it Stratford to Taumarunui, most of the metal road in the gorge bit was flat as I recall, just make sure you got plenty of petrol before you head off, can,t recall there being many petrol stations in the middle bit.

Like I said some great views, just watch out for stock truck & trailers, and the odd 5 axle b train..

F/F

trumpy
1st January 2007, 10:23
Sensei and Nadroj know this road pretty well. Check with them.
On my list to do as well in the next couple of weeks if this crappy weather will just give up and go away!

Vagabond
1st January 2007, 10:28
Maybe we can try and organise a group ride some time?

Now that would be cool!

pritch
2nd January 2007, 06:51
I haven't been over the Tangarakau section for a few months but it's no problem unless the grader has just been through. It is only 10K or so long.

Watch the tunnel, people have come unstuck in there, I don't think the floor is sealed. The rest of the road is God's own biking road.

On top of the Tahora saddle (the one before Whangamomona if you're heading south) is the Kaeto Cafe. Great views if the weather is kind, it's owned by a biking couple and it's a good place to stop.

Vagabond
2nd January 2007, 07:33
Thanks for that mate, makes me want to drop everything right now and head on down!

trumpy
2nd January 2007, 19:49
The weather forecast for the next few days is mint. Was thinking of doing this road either Friday or Saturday, if anyone else is interested I'd be happy for company.

Sensei
2nd January 2007, 20:38
Saturday would be good for me if ya need the guided tour .

Vagabond
2nd January 2007, 21:00
The weather forecast for the next few days is mint. Was thinking of doing this road either Friday or Saturday, if anyone else is interested I'd be happy for company.

I'm back at work tomorrow till Friday so Saturday would be good depending on how work goes, will be more in the know after tomorrow!

Let me know if Saturday suits?:done:

trumpy
2nd January 2007, 21:03
Saturday works fine for me.
Sensei, take it you would be coming in from the Stratford end?

Vagabond
2nd January 2007, 21:08
How long does it take to do Aucks - Taupo?
Haven't done it in a while.

Sensei
2nd January 2007, 21:14
Yea Stratford

trumpy
2nd January 2007, 21:19
How long does it take to do Aucks - Taupo?
Haven't done it in a while.

'bout 3 hrs, tho probably better to meet you in Taumaranui or Te Kuiti depending on which direction we ride the road.

Vagabond
2nd January 2007, 21:22
'bout 3 hrs, tho probably better to meet you in Taumaranui or Te Kuiti depending on which direction we ride the road.

Sounds good will re-post after I find out how things are going at work!

SwanTiger
2nd January 2007, 21:23
Taumaranui to Stratford.

That road is magical, the gravel is pretty good too, a few decent pot holes here and there but nothing to write home about.

My only advice - watch out for the fucken goats! the bastards are everywhere and dart in and out of the bushes and across the road.

Goblin
3rd January 2007, 10:27
As luck would have it....I have sussed a babystitter for Saturday.:D Can I tag along from Taumaranui?

Vagabond
3rd January 2007, 10:54
As luck would have it....I have sussed a babystitter for Saturday.:D Can I tag along from Taumaranui?

S'Far as I'm concerned the more the merrier!
:scooter: :yes:

Goblin
3rd January 2007, 10:58
:2thumbsup Cool! I've been wanting to do this ride for a long time....sounds like my kind of road!:scooter:

TLDV8
3rd January 2007, 11:11
Have been thinking about doing that route for a while :shifty: (But i be a slacker)

Would it be a day trip if something came together ? ..I might just zip down there anyway if not.

trumpy
3rd January 2007, 13:55
I would prefer to do this as a day tip but am open to other options. Can scrape up a spare bed or two here in Taupo if anyone needs one. Includes secure lockup bike storage as well (needed this time of year)

TLDV8
3rd January 2007, 19:11
Where is Vagabond :laugh:

I took the liberty of checking the map and distances. (because i am really keen)

http://www.accommodationz.co.nz/distancesnorth2.html#

Depending on the start point..
Auckland to Taumarunui is 287 kms,with a early (ish) start perhaps there by 10:00am
Taupo to Taumarunui is 117 kms for Trumpy.
Goblin would already be there.
Sensei would be somewhere on the route.

..so maybe it is a possible kick off point with Saturday looking popular so far... If going the other way then maybe a meeting point in Te Kuiti.

With two days to go there would still be time to put a actual plan together and other folk to spot it. :woohoo: :scooter:

Vagabond
3rd January 2007, 19:36
Where is Vagabond :laugh:

I took the liberty of checking the map and distances. (because i am really keen)

Auckland to Taumarunui is 287 kms,with a early (ish) start perhaps there by 10:00am

..so maybe it is a possible kick off point with Saturday looking popular so far... If going the other way then maybe a meeting point in Te Kuiti.

With two days to go there would still be time to put a actual plan together and other folk to spot it. :woohoo: :scooter:

I'm at work at the mo!
TLDV8 if we leave early enough say around 6:00am I'm sure we can be in Taumarunui around 9 / 9:30 ahem :dodge:

I'm not adverse to sleeping over anywhere as I'm working afternoon shifts and the early start is sure to catch up later in the day!

TLDV8
3rd January 2007, 19:42
I'm at work at the mo!
TLDV8 if we leave early enough say around 6:00am I'm sure we can be in Taumarunui around 9 / 9:30 ahem :dodge:

I'm not adverse to sleeping over anywhere as I'm working afternoon shifts and the early start is sure to catch up later in the day!

6:00am :confused: I will check my alarm clock to see if the numbers go that low :laugh:

Sound's good either way :niceone:

Vagabond
3rd January 2007, 19:44
Was initially goin to suggest 5:00am!

trumpy
3rd January 2007, 19:49
I'm keen to do it in either direction although I would prefer to go up Mt messenger from the south (seems much more interesting that way). Depends on whether Sensei wishes to do a "loop" or a return ride over 43.
Sensei could you let us know your preference and we can make a plan and post it for any others that might be interested. Cheers.

P.S. I now need to do this as a one day ride but the offer of beds still stands.

Vagabond
3rd January 2007, 19:49
Suppose it will depend on what time the others want to head off at and from where, at the moment I'm open to any suggestion.

PS the weather had better hold off or I might have to cancel, had enough rain comming home from the Boxing day racing!

Vagabond
3rd January 2007, 19:51
I'm keen to do it in either direction although I would prefer to go up Mt messenger from the south (seems much more interesting that way). Depends on whether Sensei wishes to do a "loop" or a return ride over 43.
Sensei could you let us know your preference and we can make a plan and post it for any others that might be interested. Cheers.

P.S. I now need to do this as a one day ride but the offer of beds still stands.

Trumpy if you done it that way would you be heading down Awakino way and then back up?

nadroj
3rd January 2007, 20:21
New Plym to Taupo is 3 hrs (287km) via Janets corner & Bennydale.
New Plym to Whanga is 1.25 hrs & about 0.75 Whanga to Taum.
My suggestion would be to come via Mokau & have lunch at Whanga or vice versa. As long as work doesn't interfere I'm a starter (on call).

trumpy
3rd January 2007, 20:24
Trumpy if you done it that way would you be heading down Awakino way and then back up?

My preference is: Taumaranui, Stratford, Inglewood, Waitara, Awakino, Te Kuiti and Taupo via Bennydale rd (highway 30) purely to go "up" the twisty side of MT Messenger.
I would, however, be quite happy to go the other way round i.e TeKuiti, Awakino etc and back to Taupo fromTaumaranui (probably the better way if anyone wants to take a break in Taupo for the night).
I would like to take up Sensei's offer so it depends to an extent on what he wants to do.
I agree with you about the weather. I don't mind the odd shower but if "persists" down it kind of makes the ride a little pointless. Yeah I know I should harden up!:o

nadroj
3rd January 2007, 20:29
I agree with you about the weather. I don't mind the odd shower but if "persists" down it kind of makes the ride a little pointless.o

Bloody slippery & not much fun in the wet.

trumpy
3rd January 2007, 20:37
As long as work doesn't interfere I'm a starter (on call).

You can come if you go slow for the old fat guy on the Trumpy....:2thumbsup

Sensei
3rd January 2007, 20:42
Go slow out to Wanga I have never done slow before !! May be doing Welly on Friday so will think about going tomorrow night & let ya know what is happening from there .

Vagabond
3rd January 2007, 21:39
My preference is: Taumaranui, Stratford, Inglewood, Waitara, Awakino, Te Kuiti and Taupo via Bennydale rd (highway 30) purely to go "up" the twisty side of MT Messenger.
I would, however, be quite happy to go the other way round i.e TeKuiti, Awakino etc and back to Taupo fromTaumaranui (probably the better way if anyone wants to take a break in Taupo for the night).
I would like to take up Sensei's offer so it depends to an extent on what he wants to do.
I agree with you about the weather. I don't mind the odd shower but if "persists" down it kind of makes the ride a little pointless. Yeah I know I should harden up!:o

Ok so we wait and see what Sensei is doing and make a decision from there, as for the rain part tis only because I rode home from Wanganui,via Awakino and then into Taupo all in the rain and would love to do it in the dry :whocares: and as for direction I'm keen either way :yes:

Sensei
4th January 2007, 16:42
Well not going to Welly . Not sure which way to head depends on the others , the road through to Wanga is very good I have been told by mate that did it last week , could go back to Mokau / Awkino Pub for a beer ? which would be good either way lets see what the verdict is from the others .

Vagabond
4th January 2007, 17:25
Well not going to Welly . Not sure which way to head depends on the others , the road through to Wanga is very good I have been told by mate that did it last week , could go back to Mokau / Awkino Pub for a beer ? which would be good either way lets see what the verdict is from the others .

For myself to meet in either Tekuiti or Taumarunui is of no concern as I will be travelling the same distance in the long run, tis only the start time that may concern TLDV8, well even me perhaps as I'm working the late shifts this week!:yes:

So I'll leave it up to Trumpy, Goblin and TLDV8 to decide :dodge:

pritch
4th January 2007, 18:20
OK, so I'm not *that* busy. Lotta things I should be doing but... Alays up for a ride.

trumpy
4th January 2007, 19:00
A plan; see what you think: We do the ride "anticlockwise" (ie Stradford to Taumaranui).
Goblin I can meet you at the cafe in Whakamaru. Goblin and I can meet the Auckland riders at 8 mile junction (11 k's south of Te Kuiti) and we can all stop at Pio Pio for refeshment etc. We can then ride to Inglewood to meet up with the New Plymouth riders and ride to Stratford. Stop at whanga for lunch.
At Taumaranui the NP riders could either back track or complete a loop as they wish. The others can return home if they wish or stay in Taupo for the night.
We need to decide on meet up times.

Vagabond
4th January 2007, 19:40
The 'plan' sounds good to me, TLDV8 if you can decide what time would suit then we can organise a meeting point?

TLDV8
4th January 2007, 19:45
Sound's good to me. :niceone:
I can meet up with Vagabond (and anyone else) at the Papakura Autobahn at what ever time he dares.
It should be around 220 kms to 8 mile so 2 1/2 hours give or take. ?

Edit.. I ride as slow as i type :laugh: just spotted the above post.
Anytime time is good Colin.

Vagabond
4th January 2007, 19:51
Sound's good to me. :niceone:
I can meet up with Vagabond (and anyone else) at the Papakura Autobahn at what ever time he dares.
It should be around 220 kms to 8 mile so 2 1/2 hours give or take. ?

Edit.. I ride as slow as i type :laugh: just spotted the above post.
Anytime time is good Colin.

OK so I'm keen on a 9:00am meet at 8mile J, if that suits Trumpy and Goblin, although I am flexible on that.:yes:

TLDV8
4th January 2007, 19:55
OK so I'm keen on a 9:00am meet at 8mile J, if that suits Trumpy and Goblin, although I am flexible on that.:yes:

Maybe a getaway from the Autobahn at 6:00 am ? (depending on the meeting time at the other end)

trumpy
4th January 2007, 19:57
9:00am at 8 mile is fiine by me.
New Plymouth guys, what would be a reasonable time to meet you in Inglewood (and whereabouts in Inglewood)? Bearing in mind I will probably need a caffiene fix in Pio Pio first.

Vagabond
4th January 2007, 21:34
Six and Nine at Eight sounds good to me!

nadroj
4th January 2007, 21:47
9:00am at 8 mile is fiine by me.
New Plymouth guys, what would be a reasonable time to meet you in Inglewood (and whereabouts in Inglewood)? Bearing in mind I will probably need a caffiene fix in Pio Pio first.

That would make it 10-45 to 11am at Inglemud which will make good timing for luch at Whanga. Suggest turning right - over railway line then left and meet opposite the closed pub.

Sensei
4th January 2007, 21:47
On Saturday 6/1/07 - Will ride up to meet you guys along the way Should make Awakino around 9-ish so should see you at Piopio about 930am there abouts if I take it easy LOL . then ride back to NP , then on through to Wanga from Straty .

Goblin
5th January 2007, 00:30
A plan; see what you think: We do the ride "anticlockwise" (ie Stradford to Taumaranui).
Goblin I can meet you at the cafe in Whakamaru.

We need to decide on meet up times.

Looks like a good plan. So what time to meet at Whakamaru?

trumpy
5th January 2007, 05:09
Looks like a good plan. So what time to meet at Whakamaru?

8:00 am should be fine.
I'm on the yellow Trumpy. See you there.

pritch
5th January 2007, 07:41
Suggest turning right - over railway line then left and meet opposite the closed pub.

OK,then I can get a caffeine fix while waiting at McFarlanes next door to the pub.

Goblin
5th January 2007, 11:32
8:00 am should be fine.
I'm on the yellow Trumpy. See you there.

Cheers Trumpy...see you bright and early.

twinkle
5th January 2007, 20:14
went along sh43 yesterday. watch out for:

slips, rocks were strewn over the road in various places from gravel-taumaranui.

loose sheep all over the place, some of the fences were damaged.

the birds seem a bit suicidal down there, likewise the rabbits.

campervans on the wrong side of the road.

the locals are kinda dodgy too

trumpy
5th January 2007, 20:46
Thanks for the heads up Twinkle.:2thumbsup

twinkle
5th January 2007, 20:52
no worries. It is an awesome ride, enjoy yourselves :first:

oh, and the walk up to Nevins lookout (i think it was Nevins) is worth it :yes:

Robbo
5th January 2007, 21:23
Hi Guys would'nt mind joining up for this ride as have been wanting to do the Forgotten Highway for a while. Am just north of Cambridge so where and what time would be suitable to meet up?
Cheers

Sensei
5th January 2007, 21:33
One less from here mate just thrashed his Aprilia Factory Tuono on Tarata RD not badly but not rideable very gutted help pull some of it to bits , boy alot of Carbonfibre on them Tuono Factorys . I just did a service on mine today & sounds as Sweet as . See ya tomorrow .

Vagabond
5th January 2007, 21:42
Hi Guys would'nt mind joining up for this ride as have been wanting to do the Forgotten Highway for a while. Am just north of Cambridge so where and what time would be suitable to meet up?
Cheers

Prolly best to meet u at 8mile junction 9:00am.

trumpy
5th January 2007, 21:43
Cheers

Two options: (a) cut accross to Kihikihi and catch up with the Auckland boys on their way thru (PM Waylander for a time estimate or (b) cut thru the back way (Karapiro, Horahora, Mangakino etc....yeeha!) to Whakamaru and meet Goblin and I there at 8:00 am.You're welcome either way.

Robbo
5th January 2007, 21:50
Hey Trumpy, thanks for that. Yep, i know that route so no problems. Not sure where 8 mile junction is but i see you may have a meeting point at Pio Pio, if so, i can meet there. What time do you suggest? I will be on a red / white CBR 1000

trumpy
5th January 2007, 21:53
Hey Trumpy, thanks for that. Yep, i know that route so no problems. Not sure where 8 mile junction is but i see you may have a meeting point at Pio Pio, if so, i can meet there. What time do you suggest? I will be on a red / white CBR 1000

Should be there about 9:15 to 9:30.

If anyone on this ride needs to contact me in the morning my mobile No. is 0275 934931.
cheers

Vagabond
5th January 2007, 21:56
Should be there about 9:15 to 9:30.

If anyone on this ride needs to contact me in the morning my mobile No. is 0275 934931.
cheers

Yip my number is 021 1876 172

Robbo
5th January 2007, 22:01
OK Guys. Thanks for the replies. Will be waiting at Pio Pio around 9-15. See you there.
Ride Safe

TLDV8
6th January 2007, 20:43
Big thank's to Sensei for the guided tour and Vagabond for putting it together....... Awesome roads and a excellent bunch of people to hang out with for the day... :niceone: :niceone:

My odometer showed 805 kms give or take some era for the 2 teeth up on the rear sprocket.

pritch
6th January 2007, 20:59
Good idea, good weather, good roads, good people, a good day out all round :-)

trumpy
6th January 2007, 21:15
Thanks guys, great ride. Definitely needs repeating.:2thumbsup

Sensei
6th January 2007, 21:22
Abit of a write up & some pics on the bottom of this link ,

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=41565

Goblin
6th January 2007, 21:31
:2thumbsup Thanks everyone for an awesome day! I didn't want those twisties to end....so lets do it again eh? :ride:

Robbo
7th January 2007, 06:52
Great ride, Great group of Guys {and Gals} Awesome day out. Thanks Sensei, the tunnel was dry and the gravel was good, great ride home, look foward to catching up again sometime soon.
Cheers Robbo and Mitch

nadroj
7th January 2007, 08:47
Great ride, Great group of Guys {and Gals} Awesome day out. Thanks Sensei, the tunnel was dry and the gravel was good, great ride home, look foward to catching up again sometime soon.
Cheers Robbo and Mitch

That be them!

Gottcha