PDA

View Full Version : Best vehicle for tourist?

sunhuntin
1st January 2007, 17:54
continuation from my other thread re: partner coming there from canada. ive basically worked out from trademe he wont have a problem getting a passport as he has no serious charges.
so now my question is, what would be the best vehicle for him? also, rent or buy [be coming from my wallet]
im trying to decide between another bike...if so, what kind? or campervan? again, if so, what kind?

he currently rides an 83 shovelhead harley, and has a bus-sized motorhome that hes travelled across canada at the wheel of...but that hasnt seen the road for at least 2 years due to the cost.

he would be tagging along behind me on a bike till he got to know the road rules, and it would also enable us to have time apart, rather than in each others hair. they are also easy for parking. but would require either motel or tents, which aint that good for him [the tent] due to his age and injuries from the accident.

a motorhome would give us cheap accomodation, and would be fun. warm as well, but harder to park, and harder to drive than a bike..he would also be at the wheel the whole time, which would not likely be a good thing. we would be able to interact the whole time though...

any one got any advice? it would be coming from me, as his sponser. so the cheaper the better, but i dont want to be buying something thatll be needing repairs every 5 seconds. im thinking of a higher cc virago, but being a harley guy, im not sure hell agree. unless i convinced him to move here, the chosen vehicle would have to be resold afterwards.

TIA:love:

MattRSK
1st January 2007, 17:56
Are they selling passports on Trade Me?

Mr. Peanut
1st January 2007, 17:56
A toyota corolla.

Paul in NZ
1st January 2007, 18:03
Camper vans are never cheap accomodation IMHO.

Cheap toyota and backpackers / tent is the cheapest plus you can park it without a big sign that says I'm a tourist, plase rob me.

Motu
1st January 2007, 18:39
Lada 2104 - It won't be too fast for your bike to keep up with,will handle every condition,can be repaired by anyone,even a Canadian.The seats fold down to a bed,and it will never be stolen.The perfect choice.

sunhuntin
1st January 2007, 19:42
nah....not a lada....dad has one and its a heap of shit! lol.

what about bikes?

Sniper
1st January 2007, 20:25
How long is he after a car, where is he travelling?

sunhuntin
2nd January 2007, 15:01
itll be both of us...length of visit unknown. im likely gonna go for a bike, cos as i say, itll give us time apart as well, but still together.

so, best suggested touring bike for an old fart? with room for two....

MattRSK
2nd January 2007, 15:04
Lada 2104 - It won't be too fast for your bike to keep up with,will handle every condition,can be repaired by anyone,even a Canadian.The seats fold down to a bed,and it will never be stolen.The perfect choice.

You say the seat folds down to a bed eh? hmmmm