PDA

View Full Version : Long way around/down

logicnz
1st January 2007, 22:29
There is going to be another Long Way Round thing on TV but this time its called Long Way Down

Looks like they are riding from UK to South Africa on the bikes this time.

Should be good to watch

have you chaps seen the 1st series Long Way Round?

Dont think a VStrom would be quite up to this

Logic:Punk:

TLDV8
2nd January 2007, 05:39
Sound's excellent but wonder if they will put it on at 10:30pm like last time. :doh:

GSX-RJIM
2nd January 2007, 07:30
Yep,I have the DVD and I read the book. Very good news, Love to ride with them.

mooks
2nd January 2007, 07:37
Long way round is playing on the documentary channel on SKY atm. I bought the DVD though .......
Find it really hard to watch Ewan McGregor as O B One on Star Wars after that though - he just seems such a down to earth bloke on the Long way round.

Chisanga
2nd January 2007, 07:56
I loved the Long Way Round. Was one of the many motivating factors in my decision to begin riding.

I also have a passion for the continent of Africa so this should be a fanastic series. I am only concerned about how red Charlies face will get in the heat of Africa :)

Steam
2nd January 2007, 09:12
THey haven't started riding yet, it's still in the planning stage. THey plan to start riding some time in 2007 though.

elle-f
2nd January 2007, 14:35
I loved the first one. Cant wait to see the next one then. Lets hope they are a little more prepared!

MattRSK
2nd January 2007, 14:37
Awesome can't wait to see it.

wilber
2nd January 2007, 14:49
Wonder if CHarlie will go for the KTM again or stay with the BM's this trip ,watched on the tellie then got the dvd ,great to watch ,only just hard to see how they kept going mentally at times ,those bikes looked like pigs with all that weight they were carrying.

Jantar
2nd January 2007, 14:53

You've got to be kidding. A VStrom would be the perfect bike for a trip of this sort. Long range, handles rough going well and can carry a heavy load.

Hitcher
2nd January 2007, 14:57
I agree with Jantar. Either Vstrom would be perfect.

cowboyz
2nd January 2007, 16:25
awesome. loved the series last year and got brought the dvd fro xmas and enjoying it just as much the second time round. awesome idea.

The Big J
2nd January 2007, 17:55
You've got to be kidding. A VStrom would be the perfect bike for a trip of this sort. Long range, handles rough going well and can carry a heavy load.

Only thing being it wouldn't handle sand at all. Not that many bikes do. Maybe they could fly in some smaller bikes for the Sahara? (Oh to have that budget)

What I WILL be looking at it how much luggage they will be carrying this time.

riffer
2nd January 2007, 18:28
They had a large support team in a couple of trucks with them.

I remember having a good chat to Dick Hurdemann about Ewen and Charlie's trip and him having a great laugh about it. He was a bit scornful about whether or not they actually roughed it at all. Actually I think he was a bit jealous...

Didn't stop me from asking the wife for it for my birthday last year. A thoroughly enjoyable watch. In fact I sat down that night and watched it from start to finish - nearly 6 hours.

I look forward to the next series.

oldrider
2nd January 2007, 21:19
There is going to be another Long Way Round thing on TV but this time its called Long Way Down

Looks like they are riding from UK to South Africa on the bikes this time.

Should be good to watch

have you chaps seen the 1st series Long Way Round?

The big question is "are the BMW's quite up to it" and were they really up to it last time? :shit: They needed a lot of support! :shutup: John.

Big Dog
2nd January 2007, 21:23
Anyone not wellington but in Auckland got a copy I can borrow?

Chisanga
3rd January 2007, 07:55
Can anyone tell me how many episodes the DVD has. My mate downloaded the series and it has 7 episodes that are shorter, with less detail than the shows recently shown on the Documentary Channel.

Does the DVD have the more detailed versions?

Ta in advance

oldrider
3rd January 2007, 12:12
Hi Big Dog, I respect your point in your signature but a word of warning, what we think about usually happens, don't dwell too deeply upon the negative side of biking, it can be just as dangerous as not thinking about it.

I think those videos are OK to dropkick our subconscious into a higher level of consciousness when we are riding but to dwell on them places too much focus up front and then you make panicky decisions because of the overload.

Just my opinion, not a criticism of what you are trying to achieve. Cheers John.

Big Dog
3rd January 2007, 19:04
Hi Big Dog, I respect your point in your signature but a word of warning, what we think about usually happens, don't dwell too deeply upon the negative side of biking, it can be just as dangerous as not thinking about it.

I think those videos are OK to dropkick our subconscious into a higher level of consciousness when we are riding but to dwell on them places too much focus up front and then you make panicky decisions because of the overload.

Just my opinion, not a criticism of what you are trying to achieve. Cheers John.

The mind does tend to do as it's told. Positive thinking is the only anwser.
But facts is facts.
When I thought I was 6'6" and bulletproof and too cheap to buy good gear I had three accidents. Since I started looking for a way through the battle zones that are public roads I have only been close and had an exit strategy every time.
Awareness of ones own mortality allows you to know what you need to do to survive.
For me anyway this lets me think positively about how I will survive.
If one other reader recognises their mortality and becomes a better rider for it then I gave up my signature for a good purpose.

Oops so off topic......
Climbs down of soap box.

Dutchee
3rd January 2007, 20:35
Can anyone tell me how many episodes the DVD has. My mate downloaded the series and it has 7 episodes that are shorter, with less detail than the shows recently shown on the Documentary Channel.

Does the DVD have the more detailed versions?

Ta in advance

There were/are two versions - first one is 7 episodes, the other 10. 10 episode one is showing on sky now i think (don't have sky).

balans
13th February 2007, 07:23
Try your local public library for a copy of DVD, $5 for a week down here in Canterbury.

Pretty good value.

magicfairy
13th February 2007, 07:48
Costly DVD to buy for my partner BusaJim! About $18,000 in fact, he went and bought a BMW 1150GS Adventure after watching it quite a few times and mulling over getting an adventure bike for about 6 months.
Loves the Beamer, kept the Busa as well.

Oscar
13th February 2007, 12:19
Only thing being it wouldn't handle sand at all. Not that many bikes do. Maybe they could fly in some smaller bikes for the Sahara? (Oh to have that budget)

What I WILL be looking at it how much luggage they will be carrying this time.

Speaking as someone who took their V-Strom off-road (a LONG way off-road), I disagree.

A Strom would go anywhere a GSA1200 would.

Shewolf
13th February 2007, 13:55
Does anyone know if it's Ewan and Charley doing this second ride? Or some other geezers?

Be funny watching KTM falling over themselves to get the spot.

Reading the book at the mo after watching the DVD in a weekend, books excellent too as it has other little titbits not in the DVD's. Happy to lend out to anyone if interested.

magicfairy
13th February 2007, 15:06
Wonder if CHarlie will go for the KTM again or stay with the BM's this trip

If you watch / read "Road to Dakar" when Charlie attempted the Dakar, BMW really came to the party with support, bikes etc. Given the extra sales LWR generated for BMW, and the stuff Charlie has done with them since then, I can't see him turning his back on them now.

shafty
13th February 2007, 15:24
I loved the LWR, bought the DVD etc - was really amazed how many non bike people were inspired by it too - just the actual adventure itself I guess - I just felt so bad for them every time they tipped off - which was plenty of course.

Oscar
13th February 2007, 15:36
I loved the LWR, bought the DVD etc - was really amazed how many non bike people were inspired by it too - just the actual adventure itself I guess - I just felt so bad for them every time they tipped off - which was plenty of course.

If you train to ride a fully laden GS1150A by riding an unladen F650GS, tipping off is inevitable...

fozz rock
13th February 2007, 16:01
If you watch / read "Road to Dakar" when Charlie attempted the Dakar, BMW really came to the party with support, bikes etc. Given the extra sales LWR generated for BMW, and the stuff Charlie has done with them since then, I can't see him turning his back on them now.

Yea am reading that book right now
hoping sky will play that one next

dnos
14th February 2007, 08:30
the long way round is a great watch ive got the dvd and seen it about 5 times. Anybody who has watched it have thought it was good, i guess more for the journey and people rather than the biking.
Would like to see the race to dakar too, any comments on it, should i hire/borrow it or is it worth buying?

nigelp
14th February 2007, 10:25
Does anyone know if it's Ewan and Charley doing this second ride? Or some other geezers?

It appears that they are both doing it. If you go to:

http://www.longwaydown.com/html/longwaydown.html

This has some detail of the trip, and you can also legally download the long way round. I have the DVDs and the book and love it!:Punk:

Juud
14th February 2007, 11:50
the long way round is a great watch ive got the dvd and seen it about 5 times. Anybody who has watched it have thought it was good, i guess more for the journey and people rather than the biking.
Would like to see the race to dakar too, any comments on it, should i hire/borrow it or is it worth buying?

We bought it last week, it's another great adventure. We were glued to the tv all the way through.
Makes you wonder why people participate in that Rally, it's bad in a car but even worse on a motorbike. Then again, it's an awesome challenge.

The language use is as good as Gordon Ramsays, but hey, :whocares: If you liked LWR you'll probably like this one as well.