PDA

View Full Version : Blenheim to Havelock the long way round - 28&29 Dec 2006

Aslan
2nd January 2007, 20:47
I planned to do some gravel road riding over the days between Christmas and New Year. My thinking was to travel from Lower Hutt to Waikaremoana on to Opitiki and back to Lower Hutt around the East Coast of the N.Island. My wife pointed out that riding around Waikaremoana on the narrow gravel roads over the holiday season might not be the smartest thing to do – the prospect of meeting camper vans and other vehicles towing boats being heightened over the holiday.

Flattered at my wife’s concern for my safety I quickly hatched an alternate plan – to travel across the Cook Strait to the top of the South to visit my daughter and her partner in Havelock. I decided to incorporate a couple of favourite rides of mine into the journey.

On Thursday 28 December I caught the 8am Bluebridge Ferry to Picton. By 1pm I was heading into the Awatere Valley and the Molesworth Station. Despite the unseasonably cold and wet weather that has plagued much of the country this summer, I experienced beautiful sunny weather for both days of my travels.

I reached Hanmer Springs around 6pm filled up with petrol and headed North again and into the Rainbow Station via the St James Station.

I travelled into the Rainbow in beautiful sunshine making camp around 8pm that evening at Lake Tennyson. I shared the DOC campsite with a few other folks, mainly trout fishing enthusiasts. Watching the sun set over the lake whilst sipping a Cab Sav before turning in for the night was a great way to end a perfect day.

Friday 29 December dawned bright and clear with Lake Tennyson as calm as a mill pond. When I began to prepare breakfast around 6am I could see there had been quite a frost overnight!

Despite evidence on both the Molesworth and the Rainbow roads of slips as a result of heavy rain this past winter, both roads were fine for travelling on a GS fitted with TKC80’s. I had one ‘moment’ in the Awatere Valley where the road surface changed from hard pack gravel to a patch of sand and the front wheel almost washed out. The beemer seemed to ‘stand up’ again as I increased the power – I’d like say ‘instinctively’ but I think it was more good fortune than skill!

Travel through the Rainbow and on to St Arnaud on day two was uneventful save for a ford at the point where the Molesworth Station joins the Rainbow. This ford which was not particularly wide was sufficiently deep and with a number of large rocks in it that I decided discretion was called for and chose to ‘paddle’ my bike across with my feet down on the bottom on either side to steady the bike as I rode through. Following are some images – most were taken from the bike – as I travelled through these two stations.

Happy New Year and safe riding - Aslan :scooter:

chanceyy
2nd January 2007, 20:52
great write up & awesum pics ... now only if we could get blue sky like that here ;)

Aslan
2nd January 2007, 20:54
Here's several more images taken on my journey from Lake Tennyson to St Arnaud on Friday 29 Dec 2006. I believe the Lake is Lake Sedgemere. Cheers Aslan :rockon:

Aslan
2nd January 2007, 20:57
great write up & awesum pics ... now only if we could get blue sky like that here ;)

thanks Chanceyy - cold here in Wellywood today - back to work tomorrow and dreaming of the next ride! Cheers Aslan :mellow:

chanceyy
2nd January 2007, 21:12
thanks Chanceyy - cold here in Wellywood today - back to work tomorrow and dreaming of the next ride! Cheers Aslan :mellow:

yeah colder in wellywood today than Levin (thank gawd) .. not back to work til next monday :D ..

jafar
2nd January 2007, 21:27
Great writeup & amasing pics .I can't think of a better way to spend a holiday:scooter: :yes: