PDA

View Full Version : Engine painting, 250 Bandit

Manxman
2nd January 2007, 21:37
Prob a dumb q, but is it possible to spray paint (I'm thinking of some sort of heat resistant powder coat paint) an engine (or parts thereof). I have a 250 Bandit, which has a silver coloured engine, but I think that black will look cooler...and cover up scratches and dirt, etc!!. Any comments welcome, plus tips on how to do it...Cheers & Happy New thingy :drinkup:

gammaguy
2nd January 2007, 21:39
VHT make a paint specially for this purpose.its called (believe it or not)engine enamel:yes:

probly available at the usuals...

MattRSK
2nd January 2007, 21:43
I wouldn't paint over dirt though.

Manxman
2nd January 2007, 21:52
I wouldn't paint over dirt though.

..dunno..might give it a bit of "texture" ay...:msn-wink:
Nah, yer right, it'd have to be clean first...

degrom
2nd January 2007, 21:52
Prob a dumb q, but is it possible to spray paint (I'm thinking of some sort of heat resistant powder coat paint) an engine (or parts thereof). I have a 250 Bandit, which has a silver coloured engine, but I think that black will look cooler...and cover up scratches and dirt, etc!!. Any comments welcome, plus tips on how to do it...Cheers & Happy New thingy :drinkup:

Here is a site with a bunch of wonderful products...

http://www.por15.co.nz/por15prod.htm

They have paint that is heat resistant, Impact resistance...

They also have tank repair kits to fix old rusted tanks...

Hope this could help.
Cheers.

Steam
2nd January 2007, 22:17
Yeah, it comes in both Matt and Gloss black from Repco or Supercheap. Gloss will make it look nice, but Matt will make it look mean. I painted my engine black too, look at my profile pic.

Annoyingly, even engine enamel will burn off the exhaust headers, so don't paint them.

As for how to do it, just make sure everything is clean as clean, go crazy with good wide masking tape for the shiny bits you don't want black, and spray away.

Please post us a picture back in this thread when you are done.

imdying
3rd January 2007, 00:06
Nake sure it's squeaky clean. Get some prepsol.

Twig
3rd January 2007, 00:20
Go for matt black, it looks way more badass(IMHO)!!!

Wasp
3rd January 2007, 09:33
just swap it for the black model engine..........

toymachine
3rd January 2007, 16:50
Not sure how they done it, but i've always thought this was an impressive engine paint job :

Manxman
4th January 2007, 21:33
Thanks everyone who posted...I'll take your tips on board and put some photos up when done. Cheers.

Manxman
7th February 2007, 20:25
...well, after all your good advice, I gave it a go and here is the result...

A bit hard to tell the difference I know, but the last pic is the 'before' (just check out the rear rim - yikes...this is what it looked like when I bought it), the first two are the 'after'.

Actually it probably looks better just 'cos it had a good wash, but at least now the scratches are pretty much covered...

BTW, it was done in matt black, and only looks shiny because it had a good wash down tonight.

Thanks for the tips.

Wasp
8th February 2007, 07:35
wait, you painted the rims silver and the engine matt black?

I would have swapped rims with you - silver ones get crap on them

dnos
8th February 2007, 07:43
haha, looks good man, nice job.
Has given me inspiration to clean my bike too!

terbang
8th February 2007, 07:50
I once painted an 1100 engine with a product called Caprithane (croda lusteroid). I used the base metallic fine. It was a 2 pack that required a lot of preparation. I had the engine apart for ovehaul at the time. Lasted for years and still looked great when I sold the bike last year.

spookytooth
8th February 2007, 14:12
to keep black motor lookin flash on my old xr i used to spray it with pledge wax { the shit for waxing furniture }then just start and run it bakes to a nice gloss look dirt and crap washs off it ok too

xwhatsit
8th February 2007, 14:22
to keep black motor lookin flash on my old xr i used to spray it with pledge wax { the shit for waxing furniture }then just start and run it bakes to a nice gloss look dirt and crap washs off it ok too

Interesting -- I'll give that a go once my engine's back together. It always looks awful, even when it's been degreased.

Thanks for the tip, Mr Beetle Pussy.

Manxman
8th February 2007, 16:07
wait, you painted the rims silver and the engine matt black?

I would have swapped rims with you - silver ones get crap on them

Nah, look a bit closer - the rims were just really dirty LOL, but now I'm thinking black rims may be the next step. Maybe I should've just left them dirty. Doh!

Wasp
8th February 2007, 20:49
oooh, you're right

what did you use to clean them? (besides alot of elbow grease) I've tried that stuff that comes in a bottle like meths but is blue (forgot the name...)

Manxman
8th February 2007, 21:09
oooh, you're right

what did you use to clean them? (besides alot of elbow grease) I've tried that stuff that comes in a bottle like meths but is blue (forgot the name...)

On recommendation, I got Spectro XL1 which did a pretty good job, but then it was filthy when I got it. Cost about $25 for about 1 litre plastic spray container thingy, from TSS.

'spose most of these cleaners do a similar job...