PDA

View Full Version : Regearing the ginny

FilthyLuka
3rd January 2007, 09:40
okay... the freeflow pipes on, the top end has been rebuilt, the insides have been all shined up. the carb has been rejetted. fuelstar coming soon.

but one of my major problems is sitting on the motorway at 6 thousand revs... 5.5k would be sweet, its just 6k make your nuts vibrate at that certain frequency that is damn uncomfortable... so! i went down to colemans and picked up a 16 tooth front sprocket (as opposed to 15) for the gn and im gonna install it tonight when i get home. Ill tell ya'll how it went and what it rides like after putting on the new sprocket.

denden

F5 Dave
3rd January 2007, 16:13
Terrible I imagine.

My old GS550 when i changed the sprocket & chain the chain was too short from what manual said. What was really wrong was there was a bigger sprocket on the front that someone had put on trying to gear it up. Never did rev all the way through & on reflection the std gearing would have been better.

These Japs know what they are doing, the GN will feel asthmatic with taller gearing, it might feel like it isn't revving so hard at 100, but it won't have the guts to accelerate without a kickdown or in the wind.

degrom
3rd January 2007, 16:27
Yes... I feel the same about it. The Gn's last gear is to long for it. You will notice that you can almost do your top speed in the second last gear.

Mate,you should accept it... A GN is good for what it is. Nothings going to improve it mush. Maybe the the following letters might help next to the GN badge....

GN400

degrom
3rd January 2007, 16:29
I know this will sound funny...

But what about a turbo GN?

I know it will cost more than what the bike is worth new..

But I can't help wondering how it will go... (I know it won't stop.. LOL)

F5 Dave
3rd January 2007, 16:34
Actually the brakes are about the only good thing on them. Though that might just be the foot long collapsing forks that made it seem that way.

My old Girlfriend had one & I was surprised just how dangerous it felt on the motorway, couldn't get out of the way of anything & sounded like it was ready to explode. Felt less scared on my RG50.

Turbo:
nah yah gotta go nitrous or you will spoil the smooth lines of the custom pipe.:innocent:

How about clip-ons, rearsets & a nice TZ tailpiece?

Animal
3rd January 2007, 19:35
A turbo GN? Bert, please tell me you're joking!

degrom
4th January 2007, 06:42
A turbo GN? Bert, please tell me you're joking!

LOL... Defenitally Joking!!! A GN is rated at just over 20Hp... Add a turbo...

If you are lucky you will get 40Hp. Not worth it,but I can't help wondering how it would feel and look... :scooter:

FilthyLuka
4th January 2007, 09:20
well, i tried it and heres my findings.

acceleration suffers ALOT... like, stupid amount of pull is lost. It feels like it has no tourque and it wont even rev out

so! i put back the old sprocket and cleaned my chain... the final drive sounds quiter now. i guess im just gonna have to live with testicle reverbiration untill i pick up my fireblade later this year