PDA

View Full Version : What is a good 'dual purpose' bike?

pervert
3rd January 2007, 13:50
What are some good 'dual purpose' style bikes?

I've decided I'm not into sport bikes or cruisers at all, but I have always loved riding dirt bikes...they are just so much more fun to ride...even on seal...

I want one that I can ride on the road now...it probably won't go off road, and I will most likely fit full road tyres anyway because I love the supermoto look.

Would be looking to spend up to $5000, and nothing over 400 odd cc's, I don't want an XR600 or any big tank like that.

The XR250 is the obvious choice, but I want something with a bit more balls, something that can power wheelie at least...:laugh:

What are some other options and opinions on them?

Motu
3rd January 2007, 14:45
If you want power under 400cc you will need a 2 stroke - CRM250,RMX250 and DT230 will give you enough power to see off any 400cc 4 stroke.The DT230 is the most street worthy,it's a 40hp bike so packs a good punch for it's size...and the CRM makes it look weak.The Euro 2 strokes are more dirt biased and pre mix,bit of a hassle for street use.Gas Gas do a nice light 400cc 4 stroke motard,but could be hard to find down your way.A KLX300 with a road kit would be my next option,they are hard to find road kitted and it costs about $1000 to get them on the road.

ZeroIndex
3rd January 2007, 14:49
PM Wolf about his Yamaha XT225, apparantly that's a really good little bike...

pervert
3rd January 2007, 14:58
A KLX300 with a road kit would be my next option,they are hard to find road kitted and it costs about $1000 to get them on the road.

This was one I thought of...are they nice bikes?

2 stroke doesn't really interest me, I'd rather ride the bike than fix it, which is why the Honda's appeal.

I rode a KTM 250 dirt bike over Xmas that was a 4 stroke, didn't have a really good yarn with the guy so don't know the exact model (it was quite new), but fuck did it move for a 4 stroke 250, it wouldn't keep the front on the ground in 1st and 2nd!!! I thought there might be some similar powered options without splashing out on a KTM...

Motu
3rd January 2007, 16:04
Don't worry about the reliability of 2 strokes,they have been well sorted for years....although Ghost Lemur and myself are both pulling ours apart.It's not so much keeping the front down as keeping the rear planted that worries me on the DT230 - last thing you want is one of these things stepping out and hooking up again on seal...that's where my thoughts are directed.Apart from a KTM the KLX300 would be the best option for a water cooled 4 stroke on the road...otherwise go to the aircooled ones.

Ruralman
3rd January 2007, 20:34
I think you are underestimating the hassle of getting a KLX300 made road legal as the importers have never done it for this bike - ironically they did make its predecessor the KLX 250 in road legal versions.
The KTM you rode may well go like hell - all the new high revving 4 strokes do including the Yamaha WR250, Honda CRF250 etc. The issue with these is whether you are prepared to do the high maintenance required to keep them going (eg oil changes every 10 hrs) and regular top end rebuilds etc.
If you aren't interested in 2 strokes then the obvious choice to me is a DRZ400 which you can get in road legal form - although to get one for under 5 grand will take some searching. It is at the top of your cc limit but will do all you ask for, the engines are well proven and relatively low maintenance, comfort seats are available and a motard version is sold new so motard bits should be available if you want to go that way in the future.
The KLX 300 is a good honest workhorse, and it will certainly pull a wheelie but if what you want is a power wheelie without a lot of body transfer work form the rider then it will disappoint.

F5 Dave
4th January 2007, 08:50
2 stroke doesn't really interest me, I'd rather ride the bike than fix it, ...

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha hahaha[breath]

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha . . .

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah a. . .

[sigh, sigh]
stop it you're killin' me.

- Hey how about you get a modern hi revvin 4 stroke like that KTM or maybe Honda CRF, set it up on the road & then come back in a month & we can all have another laugh about how 2 strokes are so unreliable.

pervert
4th January 2007, 08:56
Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha hahaha[breath]

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha . . .

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah a. . .

[sigh, sigh]
stop it you're killin' me.

- Hey how about you get a modern hi revvin 4 stroke like that KTM or maybe Honda CRF, set it up on the road & then come back in a month & we can all have another laugh about how 2 strokes are so unreliable.

I think your 'h' and 'a' keys could be sticking, your keyboard must be unreliable too...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Crisis management
4th January 2007, 09:36
Buy a DR, you can't kill them, don't need to maintain them and they just keep going...anywhere.
They aren't flash or high performance (the 400 tries..) but you get a lot of versatility.

And of course they are SUZUKI'S! The epitome of taste!

Henk
4th January 2007, 23:15
Strangely enough there are quite a few off road types moving back to 2 strokes because they are less maintenance than a 4 stroke.
And yes the new 250 KTM 4 banger goes like stink. But there is a price to pay for a small engine with that many moving parts and that much power.
All the 2 stroke non pre mix road legal options are getting a bit long in the tooth though.
Buy a DRZ400.

chris
5th January 2007, 08:16
And yes the new 250 KTM 4 banger goes like stink.It's a stunning bike.

Buy a DRZ400.Agree. Just change the front sprocket for one with an extra tooth or two.

Crisis management
5th January 2007, 08:47
It's a stunning bike.

Agree. Just change the front sprocket for one with an extra tooth or two.

Gear it up??? you sure about this??

I don't know the 400 but the 650 is always geared down and I would have assumed the 400 was similar.

laRIKin
5th January 2007, 08:48
I would also say a KLX/DRZ 400 with the magic button. (E-start)
They are a good all round bike.

pervert
5th January 2007, 08:51
I would also say a KLX/DRZ 400 with the magic button. (E-start)
They are a good all round bike.

I had a look at a KLX400 yesterday, damn good looking bike...but the sales rep was pretty honest and said they aren't exactly fast...

chris
5th January 2007, 08:55
Gear it up??? you sure about this??
Absolutely sure. If you're gonna use one on the road as much, or more than on dirt, it's a good mod. As standard they are geared way too low.

jonbuoy
5th January 2007, 08:59
I've been thinking about getting a KLX650 myself - I don't know anything about off road riding - why don't you want a 600? Too heavy?

avgas
SL230 was the nicest i rode on the road. the rest felt to light and dangerous on the tyres. Huskys are ok.
XL/XR always will have the most reliable motor - much to my disgust

Crisis management
Absolutely sure. If you're gonna use one on the road as much, or more than on dirt, it's a good mod. As standard they are geared way too low.

Learnt something new, again..... thanks Chris.

pervert
5th January 2007, 09:26
I've been thinking about getting a KLX650 myself - I don't know anything about off road riding - why don't you want a 600? Too heavy?

Pretty much...:yes:

laRIKin
5th January 2007, 10:48
I had a look at a KLX400 yesterday, damn good looking bike...but the sales rep was pretty honest and said they aren't exactly fast...

Well what can I say, he is right to a point.
They are fast enough unless you are racing and there are lot's of happy rider's on them.
My mate can keep up with me on my KTM 640 in the dirt, unless I pull the pin. (I hope I'm a better rider as I have been doing it longer, but he is getting faster all the time)
But when we are just ride at a good pace he keeps up with no problems.
They are said to be top heavy and some guy prefer them with out the E-star to save weight. (guys that use to race them when they were new)

On the road you do have to rev them as they are geared low, but you can gear them up (as said) quite a bit, but that is at the cost of trail riding.
Never done it but we are going to so my mate can ride his KLX400 down to the Brass Monkey from CH.CH.
And he loves his 400 as it does every thing he wants it to do.

If you want a low maintenance bike to use on and off road they are Bee's Knee's.
If you want a fast small bike then you will have to go to a 2 stroke or if you want more power on a 4 stroke you will have to go to a heavier big bore 4 stroke.
Or a high maintenance 250 4 stroke and unless you have money to burn, say away from them.

I still think that they are a real good all round bike in the real world.
I would buy one, and I nearly did.
But I have been riding for years and liked the power and can handle the weight and the power on the KTM 640 I have, otherwise I would have one.

You really will have to ride one and see if you like it.

Coyote
5th January 2007, 11:12
I think your 'h' and 'a' keys could be sticking, your keyboard must be unreliable too...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
He's right though. The bike that started the high revving 4 stroke craze was the YZ426F, and the engine was basically a single cylinder F1 car engine (Yamaha got the technology off someone, forgot who). They're powerful, but they've sacrificed reliability. They're more of a hassel and more expensive than maintaining a 2 stroke

This excludes your DRZ400 and KLX300. They're water cooled, but not high performance

clint640
8th January 2007, 14:02
Yer gunna be scratching to find a sub $5k, sub 400cc, reliable, power wheelieing motard.

As mentioned the DRZ400 would be good, if you don't mind a kickstart an XR400 would also fit the bill pretty well. You might find a good example for not too much more than your $5k, then you can start saving for some 17" hoops.

& in case you weren't aware, KLX400 = DRZ400, they're the same bike.

Cheers
Clint

pervert
8th January 2007, 14:11
Yer gunna be scratching to find a sub $5k, sub 400cc, reliable, power wheelieing motard.

Hahahaha I know, I've increased my budget a bit. Just got to sell my GPX first.

& in case you weren't aware, KLX400 = DRZ400, they're the same bike.

What? As in similar...or exactly the same? :shit:

mazz1972
8th January 2007, 14:27
If you aren't interested in 2 strokes then the obvious choice to me is a DRZ400 which you can get in road legal form - although to get one for under 5 grand will take some searching. It is at the top of your cc limit but will do all you ask for, the engines are well proven and relatively low maintenance, comfort seats are available and a motard version is sold new so motard bits should be available if you want to go that way in the future.

I agree with you there Ruralman....hubby's 01 model has just chugged over 15,000 km's and he hasn't done a thing to the motor. There would maybe be 3,000 of road riding and the rest full on trail/enduro riding. The only let down as you mention is the plank that Suzuki laughingly call a "seat". The newer models have much nicer seats but essentially the same bike. What is this "comfort seat" you are talking about? Hubby got a price for a new Suzuki standard seat and it was about $500 ouch!

chris
8th January 2007, 14:42
I agree with you there Ruralman....hubby's 01 model has just chugged over 15,000 km's and he hasn't done a thing to the motor. There would maybe be 3,000 of road riding and the rest full on trail/enduro riding. The only let down as you mention is the plank that Suzuki laughingly call a "seat". The newer models have much nicer seats but essentially the same bike. What is this "comfort seat" you are talking about? Hubby got a price for a new Suzuki standard seat and it was about $500 ouch!

12,000km, full on trail/enduro riding, on a stock(?) Dr-Z400!! He deserves a medal.

NordieBoy
8th January 2007, 19:43
What? As in similar...or exactly the same? :shit:

The colour is different.

That's it...

pete376403
9th January 2007, 11:06
I'm down for a KLR650 when the new model (cosmetic mainly) is released in about April. Will be 90/10 road/adventure.

eastlight
23rd January 2007, 22:24
Pervert, I'm pretty much in the same boat, looking for a decent Dual Purpose as well. I test rode a 2002 WR 426 the other day, thing was road legal, but too much a mx machine than spending a great percentage on the road. Thing went like stink though and would be fun on the weekends, would prefer something a little 'road worthy'. I have been recommended an XR400, DR 400, or as previous posts have said a KLX300. I would go down to a 250 (owned one many eons ago) they appear very capable these days.

Just joined this very educational site, some of your comments are extremely helpful.

good luck on your search pervert (for a bike! )

tipper
24th January 2007, 08:03
I,ve been down the WR road, bit like my last wife, fast, scary, exciting, but really high maintenance and too much of a compromise - ended up being a trailer queen. DRZ is an excellent bike, makes for confident riding for average Joe, WR types better on serious trails (ie fall off regularly).
As with most things in life, all bikes are a compromise; in aperfect world my garage would have a Ducati 800S2, a GasGas EC200 for dirty days, an LC4 for exploring and a XT660 for carving up traffic.

eastlight
24th January 2007, 09:34
Roger That Tipper, the WR is an angry beast and I would expect riding around town would be an adventure!, so it's back to the drawing board and keep hunting for that 'compromise', hard to find good XR400 road legal bikes these days!!!

Ruralman
24th January 2007, 15:45
There is a road legal XR400 on Trademe at the moment.

eastlight
24th January 2007, 19:58
Thanks for that, I saw it a couple of days ago, no idea if that price is realistic or not (knowing dealers, most proberly not), anyway, I've asked for more details about it.

eastlight
24th January 2007, 20:06
...............and, i would hate to think what it would cost to VIN and get a bike road legal.........................

rok-the-boat
29th January 2007, 11:34
I have a DR250 I use on the roads. It is perfect around town but on the motorway it sucks. My mate has a DR650 and while it is better on the motorway, it sucks too as it is just not meant for that. On gravel roads my DR is ace - even with road/trial tyres - as it is just so light. The motor is pretty tame though. The DR650 - he daren't go fast for some reason - maybe it is just him, doesn't want to drop his new bike, but it is noticably heavier. Maybe the DR400 would be a good compromise but I'm not keen on all that water cooling hassle for a small bike.

Wolf
29th January 2007, 23:41
The colour is different.

That's it...
Different sticker kit, too.

Wolf
29th January 2007, 23:44
PM Wolf about his Yamaha XT225, apparantly that's a really good little bike...
I doubt the XT225 would have the "balls" he desires - it's not much of a one for power wheelies and its top speed is only 125-ish.

Great fun bike, though, well pleased with it. It fits my modest requirements.

Indiana_Jones
30th January 2007, 13:44
Been thinknig about a dual bike myself. Might just keep reading around this sub-forum for a while :D

-Indy

eastlight
2nd February 2007, 18:59
Hey PERVERT, found a bike yet????:scooter:

pervert
2nd February 2007, 19:08
Hey PERVERT, found a bike yet????:scooter:

The idea is on hold at the moment, I sold my road bike but decided to use that money to take a break from working instead...:laugh:

I am getting a CRF50 in a couple of weeks...does that count? :laugh:

Skunk
3rd February 2007, 15:20
I've just sold my KLX250 road legal. Too dirt, only used on road.

Thinking of a KLE400/500 or something. I've got $3k to spend so I'm looking older. It'll be used on gravel roads (Molesworth/Rainbow type stuff) and the open roads (120kph cruise). Any others I should consider?

Lance
3rd February 2007, 19:51
I recon you should consider a 650 V strom. Great on the road and can still make it off road. The best bang for your bucks Suzuki has done yet.

Ruralman
3rd February 2007, 20:31
I've just sold my KLX250 road legal. Too dirt, only used on road.

Thinking of a KLE400/500 or something. I've got $3k to spend so I'm looking older. It'll be used on gravel roads (Molesworth/Rainbow type stuff) and the open roads (120kph cruise). Any others I should consider?

With $3K to spend you certainly won't get a V Strom. I have a mate with a KLE400 and it seems to get along alright and easily cruises at 100-110kph and I'm sure would cruise faster if conditions (cops) allowed. We have done quite a few back country road trips and it handles these really well. I'm pretty sure his was a used import and while I think he paid about $5.5K for it about 2 years ago you might pick up one someone is trading up from for around your limit.
They seem to be a tidy reliable bike and pretty cheap to run. I doubt you'll pick up a 500 for that money though.

Ixion
3rd February 2007, 20:35
$3k will get you a decent XT600.

terbang
3rd February 2007, 21:21
Dual purpose..? Try cruiser because you can also use it as a boat mooring..

Seriously though I have often looked at the Cagiva Navigator as a viable option.

doc
3rd February 2007, 21:27
Avanti make a good MTB that you could use on the road when on the rare occassion you were sober and drug free.

pervert
3rd February 2007, 21:30
Avanti make a good MTB that you could use on the road when on the rare occassion you were sober and drug free.

To whom is that directed?

doc
3rd February 2007, 21:31
To whom is that directed?either of us us

Wolf
3rd February 2007, 22:12
$3k will get you a decent XT600.
And they're bloody nice bikes. Not too heavy and unweildy.