PDA

View Full Version : Which 1st bike?

Zapf
27th July 2004, 01:02
Hello all,
Would like to say hi to everyone, and have a question for all. Which bike to buy as a 1st learners bike?

Choices:
- VTR250
- GSX250
- ZZR250

The VTR's seems to be the most expensive, around 6200 for a 2003 and 5600 for a 1998. Where as I have seen specials on the GSX250 for just under 6k.

My requirements will be a good handling bike that is easy to learn on. Reliable and no suprises, but still provides fun.

Had ridden a 125cc scooter in thailand for 2 weeks and thats about it.

Thanks in adv.
Zapf

Antallica
27th July 2004, 02:10
The GSX's are rather nice, but the ZZR to me has always had that look of practical + a bit of touring. Though I love those VTR's... dammit I don't know either mate!

Argh.

Posh Tourer :P
27th July 2004, 08:54
I'd go the VTR - naked, so no plastic to break when you drop it.... Cos you will. If you are over 6ft, I dunno whether you'd fit on the GSX, but should fit on the ZZR. The VTR will be plenty fun enough, hell I had fun on a CB125T.... Buy a 2-3yr old bike or older, they depreciate stupidly from new.

/end ramblings

Maarten

Hitcher
27th July 2004, 08:55
Buy a Yamaha FXZ250 Zeal, if you can find one! A great all-rounder, but a bit thirsty. I highly recommend them, having clocked up 16,500km on one in about nine months.

Out of the bikes you've listed, the Honda is the best ride by a considerable margin -- hence the price premium. If you can find a tidy low mileage Spada, that's the next best thing!

DarkDream
27th July 2004, 08:58
Have you taken some time out to have a look at the bikes on trademe? Or even on this site! From memory at the Motomail sale out in Kingsland Auckland there was a hot little 1992 Honda CBR on the board for your price range.

I would stear clear of the GSXR.....heard to many problems...but have never owned one so I guess you ahve to take that with a grain of salt.

Here's a CBR 250 RR for you to have a look at

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-13883170.htm

vifferman
27th July 2004, 08:59
Welcome, Zapf!

Unless you can be sure that you're going to be satisfied with a 250 long-term, go for summat cheap(ish) so you lose as little on it as possible when/if you trade up. And like PT said - plastic's expensive, even if the weather protection is nice. Also can make maintenance and cleaning more of a chore.

Hitcher
27th July 2004, 09:05
Welcome, Zapf!

Unless you can be sure that you're going to be satisfied with a 250 long-term, go for summat cheap(ish) so you lose as little on it as possible when/if you trade up. And like PT said - plastic's expensive, even if the weather protection is nice. Also can make maintenance and cleaning more of a chore.
I understand the sentiment but disagree. You're going to be riding your 250 for a minimum of four months (if you're over 25 and doing the accelerated competency-based programme) to two years, so you might as well enjoy the experience. 250s hold their value (unless you waste them) so I would buy something nice that you're going to enjoy spending time with.

Agree totally with comments about plastic. It's amazing how many learner riders think that fairings, etc, act to "protect" the bike in case of drops or spills...

jrandom
27th July 2004, 09:39
If I was coming in on a learner license right now, I'd buy one of the brand-new GN250s for $2995 in the Suzuki dealers at the moment. Can't go wrong with one of those and it'll be pretty reliable with only basic maintenance.

It'll also leave you less out-of-pocket when you crash it and you should get a good price for it when you flick it on.

Antallica
27th July 2004, 10:16
Or you could score an FXR ;) Dirt cheap and bloody reliable. Can still do some long hauls on it too.

vifferman
27th July 2004, 10:54
If I was coming in on a learner license right now, I'd buy one of the brand-new GN250s for $2995 in the Suzuki dealers at the moment.Now that sounds like an unbelievably good deal!

aff-man
27th July 2004, 11:46
vtr250 mate. more power through corners (which is great when learning) really really forgiving and yes no fairings. I started on the vt250 and it went great those zzr or though fit the description are not as quick as the gsx and not as much torque as the vtr. Or so i'v heard from a mate who rides one.

Tigger
27th July 2004, 12:01
I know I might be ever so slightly biased but... the VTR is a great bike! :Punk: I got mine, a 2000 model for just over $4,000, and I'm fairly confident it's held its value well, so I'd be looking for about that when I trade it in. I haven't dropped it yet, although the previous owner had, judging by a few little scratches which are very minor.

I've never had any problems with it. It goes extremely well, and my partner has even been known to sneak off to work with it sometimes, leaving his FJR1300 in the garage.....

Anyway....have fun bike hunting! :)

27th July 2004, 13:45
Buy a Yamaha FXZ250 Zeal, if you can find one! A great all-rounder, but a bit thirsty. I highly recommend them, having clocked up 16,500km on one in about nine months.

Out of the bikes you've listed, the Honda is the best ride by a considerable margin -- hence the price premium. If you can find a tidy low mileage Spada, that's the next best thing!

Like this if it gets relisted?

http://www.trade-me.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-13561290.htm

Zapf
27th July 2004, 14:32
tkns for all the input. I am just going down the path that a newer bike is going to be "better"? :confused: than an older bike in age and more reliable of course. Think I'll look for a VTR with up to 5 years old.

What about tires? I am pretty keen on getting some good tires for it once I get my hands on it. What do people say about the Dragon's? or M4's?

Tiger,
How many k's had your VTR done when you bought it?

Have been quoted the following so far, and it seems to be on the hi side.
VTR 1998 $5600
VTR 2003 $6200
both has about 10'000km on them. got quoted from Cyclespot.

Zapf
27th July 2004, 14:39
Like this if it gets relisted?

http://www.trade-me.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-13561290.htm

What is a SPADA model?

vifferman
27th July 2004, 14:43
VTR 1998 $5600
VTR 2003 $6200
both has about 10'000km on them. got quoted from Cyclespot.Holy Crapola, Batman! I didn't pay much more 'n that for my bike!
Simple answer - shop around. It's Winter, y'know, so bikes aren't exactly selling like hotcakes.
Even if there's more risk buying privately (say off TradeMe), it's worth considering, as what you save (c.f. a dealer) will go a long way towards decent gear, maintenance, etc.

Hitcher
27th July 2004, 14:52
What about tires? I am pretty keen on getting some good tires for it once I get my hands on it. What do people say about the Dragon's? or M4's?
With a 250 you have a limited range of tyres from which to choose. The Dunlop GT501 Arrowmax is a good "all rounder" tyre for a 250.

Hitcher
27th July 2004, 14:54
What is a SPADA model?
The Spada is a Honda VT250. They were mind-numbingly expensive when Honda introduced them new -- about the same price as a 650. That's why few were sold new outside of Japan. However the build quality is outstanding -- full alloy frame, the same 250 v-twin as the VTR has and they are shit-hot fun to ride.

FROSTY
27th July 2004, 15:15
tkns for all the input. I am just going down the path that a newer bike is going to be "better"? :confused: than an older bike in age and more reliable of course. Think I'll look for a VTR with up to 5 years old.

Tiger,
How many k's had your VTR done when you bought it?

VTR 1998 $5600
VTR 2003 $6200
both has about 10'000km on them. got quoted from Cyclespot.
Dude I wouldn't normally suggest these guys but if its a vtr you want go see the guys at Holshot bmw/suzuki
They have a red vtr 250 in there that has been babied its entire life.
It has VERY low miles on it and they are genuine.
It used to belong to a KB member -Madduck.

Zapf
27th July 2004, 18:05
The Spada is a Honda VT250. They were mind-numbingly expensive when Honda introduced them new -- about the same price as a 650. That's why few were sold new outside of Japan. However the build quality is outstanding -- full alloy frame, the same 250 v-twin as the VTR has and they are shit-hot fun to ride.

So I would suppose the alloy frame be better, as in lighter than the VTR's. But I suppose weaker as well then. Ermm if its only 2k for a Spada, can't really go wrong can I :)

Zapf
27th July 2004, 18:22
Dude I wouldn't normally suggest these guys but if its a vtr you want go see the guys at Holshot bmw/suzuki
They have a red vtr 250 in there that has been babied its entire life.
It has VERY low miles on it and they are genuine.
It used to belong to a KB member -Madduck.

ermm. I was there yesterday, all they told me was to buy a new GN250. But I'll go back tomorrow to look for the VTR. ... thanks

Two Smoker
27th July 2004, 18:31
Yep all i can say is i agree with what most people have said..... Go with the VTR, good handling, power and torque, and doesnt have that cracking of plastic sound when you drop it...... You will crash, but thats ok, i just hope its at low speed like erik's crash was, resulting in something being learnt and minimal damage....

Ive crashed 3 times and they have been expensive due to fairings (well would have been if i didnt have the race fairings on fo 2 of them lol)

Stinkwheeler
27th July 2004, 21:22
No point in being told to buy a GN250 if you don't like it. Go for the VTR. Yes, no fairing is a benefit if something silly happens like the side stand spontaneously flicking up (take it from me with the TV200).

27th July 2004, 21:31
So I would suppose the alloy frame be better, as in lighter than the VTR's. But I suppose weaker as well then. Ermm if its only 2k for a Spada, can't really go wrong can I :)

Well, that one was *very* cheap for what it was really... Older but low k's. Dont forget that a dealer will add about $1000 to a bike like that over a private sale, just because they can offer finance so can afford to charge more.

Edit: Ok thats not quite fair, they also offer more security of quality and some route for recompense if something goes wrong, and they clean the bike for you beforehand :D

Wenier
27th July 2004, 21:50
Are u definitely after a VTR, or those ones you've mentioned or something with a bit more speed like ZXRs, CBRs or GSXRs. Less fairing means less damage in accident generally (are exceptions) which is a good point for learners. Wut are you looking to do wit the bike? (commuter, go for group rides which are long/short distance, etc). Have you test ridden any? (wut felt the nicest). And top of the list dont spend all your $$$ on a 250, if you want to upgrade you dont want to lose all that money in depreciation for a couple of years use and mileage.

Zapf
27th July 2004, 22:25
to say what I am after, ermm... the freedom that you get on a bike.! :)

not planning on going stupidly fast really, have done that in my car. been up to 250+ and back. Not to commute either, cause driving a honda jazz to cloak from the cops. Just wanting to get on a bike for a nice weekend cruize, and once get more experienced then go on some longer distance trips, at which time I'll get a bigger bike... (those VFR800's look nice)(dono if they are quick, still newbie in bike world)

So I think I am 90% sure on a VTR, will see what happens on the test drive. I'll probly look for a VTR around 4~5k.

If I am buying a bike privately where do take it for pre-purchase check, and service? Any advice on what I should get serviced on a 10'000km VTR?

thanks.

Zapf
27th July 2004, 22:27
Well, that one was *very* cheap for what it was really... Older but low k's. Dont forget that a dealer will add about $1000 to a bike like that over a private sale, just because they can offer finance so can afford to charge more.

Edit: Ok thats not quite fair, they also offer more security of quality and some route for recompense if something goes wrong, and they clean the bike for you beforehand :D

Yea I see what u mean... that sparta was cheap as. But its off trademe now and dono how to contact seller. Plus it is not in Auckland, and being a newbie I am not so sure about riding it back to Auckland :)

Stevo
28th July 2004, 00:08
Hey there Zapf. I bought an 87 FZR250 back at the start of April. Thought it was a bit mediocre lookin (rough looking plastics and all) but $200 plastic welding later looked heaps better. Musta grown on me though. Did 6500kms in first 2 1/2 months!! Would come home from work and just go fro a blast until all hours of the night (Oh I mean till 10pm ....lol)

Suggestion: Go to a bike shop or two and go for a ride on a few. I road the Kwaka GPZ and hated it. Some others were not bad but loved the feel of the Yamahaha. Plus it was CHEAP at $3000

Good Luck :scooter:
Stevo

28th July 2004, 07:24
If I am buying a bike privately where do take it for pre-purchase check, and service? Any advice on what I should get serviced on a 10'000km VTR?

thanks.

You could ask Mt Eden Motorcycles to check it over...

Servicing? Oil change, engine and gearbox. Perhaps flush the coolant system. Check chain and sprocket condition. That ought to be about it. Unless other things are out of adjustment like choke, idle, fuel mixture etc

Devil
28th July 2004, 09:04
I think people can be a little more positive regarding the "you WILL crash" kinda remarks.

/me touches wood in preparation

Ive been riding for about 5 months now and haven't even come close to crashing, dropping or drastically fucking up while riding. (Although the missus dropped it in the weekend *sigh*).

Yes, if you're not completely confident in your ability (and I wouldnt blame you with most people saying you're going to break it) then go for a naked bike. But if you're a careful co-ordinated person, I dont see any reason NOT to get a faired bike.
Intimate meetings with cage drivers excepted, however.

Take care, and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....because they are.

Tigger
28th July 2004, 09:14
Zapf, my VTR had slightly higher ks, about 17,000 I think. I bought it for $4,200 (?) I think, in November last year from a dealer in Masterton. I figured since I'd have it for a year or two I wanted a good bike which I'd really enjoy riding, and I must admit I love the look of it too. :love: I've been told that I should get my money back when I trade it in, which sounds perfect to me. :yeah:

29th July 2004, 08:30
I think people can be a little more positive regarding the "you WILL crash" kinda remarks.
/me touches wood in preparation
Ive been riding for about 5 months now and haven't even come close to crashing, dropping or drastically fucking up while riding. (Although the missus dropped it in the weekend *sigh*).
Yes, if you're not completely confident in your ability (and I wouldnt blame you with most people saying you're going to break it) then go for a naked bike. But if you're a careful co-ordinated person, I dont see any reason NOT to get a faired bike.

I rode for 6-9 months before my first crash (in the wet, easily prevented if I knew what i knew now). My second was 1 year later or so, again easily prevented by experience, I thought I knew what I was doing and went for a run-off area after getting the wobbles mid corner, but missed the runoff area. Again, easily prevented with experience. I was confident in my ability, and in the case of the first, I didnt think I was pushing the bike hard, I just hit some paint.

No crashes in the past two years.

Lets face it though. If you are going out on a bike, which is basically unstable ie it wants to fall over, and you are out there to have some fun, you will eventually either crash or have a big moment when you overstep the limits. If you just want to commute, then it is less likely you will overstep the limits, but more likely that you will get hit by a cager who didnt see you (my tally of near misses (within ~1m despite all my best efforts) is at 3, along with countless other minor incidents, in three years of commuting)

Devil
29th July 2004, 09:04
and you are out there to have some fun, you will eventually either crash or have a big moment when you overstep the limits. If you just want to commute, then it is less likely you will overstep the limits,
^Key part, right there.
Riding sensibly (as hard as it may be sometimes heh) and you SHOULDNT have any problems (that are your fault) sure, shit happens sometimes. But I dont think its great telling the people that they will crash. Maybe just a reminder that *IF* you bin it, fairing isnt cheap to fix.

The psychological effect of telling people that they will crash sort of works against the confidence building that is required when learning to ride.

29th July 2004, 09:33
^Key part, right there.
Riding sensibly (as hard as it may be sometimes heh) and you SHOULDNT have any problems (that are your fault) sure, shit happens sometimes. But I dont think its great telling the people that they will crash. Maybe just a reminder that *IF* you bin it, fairing isnt cheap to fix.

The psychological effect of telling people that they will crash sort of works against the confidence building that is required when learning to ride.

Fair enough. I work on the assumption that everyone will get overconfident at some point, but you are probably right.

Riding sensibly, you should be almost as immune from crashes as you would be if driving a car. Although if you get hit, fairings will still cost lotsa money

Devil
29th July 2004, 09:41
Fair enough. I work on the assumption that everyone will get overconfident at some point, but you are probably right.

Riding sensibly, you should be almost as immune from crashes as you would be if driving a car. Although if you get hit, fairings will still cost lotsa money
Fo' Shizzle.

SpankMe
29th July 2004, 09:42
A question that gets asked alot, so can someone list off all the 250cc bikes available new in NZ. I will put together a page of info on 1st bikes with maybe an officially Kiwi Biker recommended 1st bike.

Later I will do older model 250cc bikes available second hand.

vifferman
29th July 2004, 09:50
^Key part, right there.
Riding sensibly (as hard as it may be sometimes heh) and you SHOULDNT have any problems (that are your fault) sure, shit happens sometimes. But I dont think its great telling the people that they will crash. Maybe just a reminder that *IF* you bin it, fairing isnt cheap to fix.Probability is working against you - very few people don't have any crashes (that includes silly things like not releasing the front brake at low speed and dropping it, or losing it on a slippery surface), and you can even break your bike not riding it (ask how many people have overbalanced moving their bike, or had the sidestand flick up...)

The psychological effect of telling people that they will crash sort of works against the confidence building that is required when learning to ride.It also means that they recognise how inherently dangerous it can be, take more care, and wear appropriate clothing. When you're learning in a car, generally if you stuff up, you might scratch or dent the car at most. On a bike, if you stuff up, you could well be seriously injured or even killed.

Look, Zapf, it's REALLY fun way to get around, and it's very visceral. By that I mean it's much more a FEELING thing than a car, in that it's all about lots of very subtle inputs and movements, and it's all about the sensations you experience too. It's a lot more complex than driving a car, there's a lot more to learn and perfect, but it's also a lot more rewarding than driving a car can be.

Devil
29th July 2004, 10:02
....stuff....

Yeah, shit can easily happen on a bike, your fault or someone elses. Im not disputing this.

I think it'd just be better for a learners confidence that people dont force them into thinking they're going to crash at some point.
I think we're all interested in getting people into biking, and enjoying the biking. Telling people they're going to crash I think defeats the purpose.

Zapf
29th July 2004, 14:09
Thanks guys, I "think" I know what I am getting myself into. So I am planning on getting some good gear, in the event of an "off" hoping it'll save my bacon.

Hence a few questions, if you have comments abt any of them plz tell.

1.) Leather, is leather with body armor better than textile with armor? as in that if you have an off then the leather usually can be still used but the textile jackets just get ripped?

2.) Gear insurance, if I do have an off does insurance pays for damaged gear? if not, do they have options to insure the gear?

3.) Armor / Air bag jacket, does anyone have experience with aftermarket armor? like Dainese safety Jacket 21 / Bohn Body armor Link (http://www.actionstation.com/) / or that Biko defender jacket that Motomail sells ?
And does anyone know who sells Dainese air bag jackets? or have experience with air big jackets?

4.) And tips on any good place / good people to buy gear from in Auckland?

Cheers and tkns in adv.
Zapf :sweatdrop

Zapf
29th July 2004, 14:12
have been reading the following...

Hurt report US (http://www.clarity.net/%7Eadam/hurt-report.html)

sort of gives me an idea :P :devil2:

riffer
29th July 2004, 14:28
I will try and answer a few of your questions:

1.) Leather, is leather with body armor better than textile with armor? as in that if you have an off then the leather usually can be still used but the textile jackets just get ripped?

You mean better, in an accident? I reckon high quality leather with body armour is better in a high-speed accident, but chances are any accident you have will be at less than 80km/hr. In that case, due to convenience and better wet-weather handling characteristics, you are better off with cordura (textile) with armour.

2.) Gear insurance, if I do have an off does insurance pays for damaged gear? if not, do they have options to insure the gear?

In my off, all my gear was covered by my household contents policy, as "household goods in transit". They compensated me the price paid (or replacement value, whichever is the lesser), less depreciation.

3.) Armor / Air bag jacket, does anyone have experience with aftermarket armor? like Dainese safety Jacket 21 / Bohn Body armor Link (http://www.actionstation.com/) / or that Biko defender jacket that Motomail sells ?
And does anyone know who sells Dainese air bag jackets? or have experience with air big jackets?

Sorry no experience. Lou Girardan, White Trash and Stew work in Motorcycle stores. PM them for more info.

See above question.

SpankMe
29th July 2004, 14:33

If you got the dosh for custom leathers, then go see Kerrie at MSW (motorcycle safety wear) 31 St Kevins Arcade Auckland (0-9-309 9522). She made my two piece for $1800 and it fits and looks bloody good. In fact I was just down there today to get a dome added to the collar which she did FOC. I wear the jacket everyday and add the pants when I go on the track or out for just a ride.

Zapf
29th July 2004, 14:45
If you got the dosh for custom leathers, then go see Kerrie at MSW (motorcycle safety wear) 31 St Kevins Arcade Auckland (0-9-309 9522). She made my two piece for $1800 and it fits and looks bloody good. In fact I was just down there today to get a dome added to the collar which she did FOC. I wear the jacket everyday and add the pants when I go on the track or out for just a ride.

ermm... have dosh. but not that much :P trying to get away spending around 2k on helmet and gear. think I'll get leather if price works out, as I have a bright red or reflective yellow jacket I can chuck on if it rains.... :P
I just don't want a completely black one thou

riffer
29th July 2004, 15:05
ermm... have dosh. but not that much :P trying to get away spending around 2k on helmet and gear. think I'll get leather if price works out, as I have a bright red or reflective yellow jacket I can chuck on if it rains.... :P
I just don't want a completely black one thou
I was reading a study that said that motorcyclists dressed completely in black were seen more often by cage-drivers, as the black was somehow more "intimidating" and made the rider more scary.

You could easily get away with spending 2K for helmet and gear.

Armoured Textile Jacket - $300-600
Armoured Tectil Pants - $300-500
Helmet - $300-1200
Boots - $150-900
Gloves - $75-400

I wear an armoured textile jacket (back protector armour too!), dririder armoured pants, kevlar stitched leather gloves, sidi boots and a Nitro helmet, and my gear cost less than $1500 total.

Devil
29th July 2004, 15:51
You really need to shop around for gear, ask about package discounts as well.
There are some huge variations in gear prices.

You can pick up a decent helmet (eg. HJC CL-14) for less than $400.

vifferman
29th July 2004, 16:04
I was reading a study that said that motorcyclists dressed completely in black were seen more often by cage-drivers, as the black was somehow more "intimidating" and made the rider more scary.It's hardly a statistically valid sample, but that was my experience on my (black) VFR when wearing all black gear, as compared with when I swapped to a red jacket and coloured glubs.

If you want leather, Zapf, you can make it suitable for all seasons by buying relatively inexpensive waterproofs to go over the top; my pants were $49 and fit over my leather pants very easily without taking my boots off (probably because they were designed to do so). I used to wear a $150 secondhand leather jacket (thinking Cordura was too wussy to offer good protection), but eventually came to see that it wasn't the best option for me, as it was too cold in winter, too hot in summer, didn't have proper armour, and was only showerproof. My Teknic jacket is waterproof, has CE-approved armour, has a zip-in liner for winter, vents for summer, and now that it has leather on the sleeves to supplement the kevlar patches (thanx to Kerrie at MSW), offers good crash resistance.
Have a look at secondhand stuff by all means, but not helmets, and make sure the helmet you buy is a good fit. Be aware that different brands fit different shaped heads (e.g., a person is almost always an Arai head or Shoei head, not both). And while it's true that you get what you pay for, wih some brands you don't get anything extra for the name and elevated pricetag.:Pokey:

Zapf
29th July 2004, 23:30
tkns for the info so far...

been to Auckland Motorcycles and power sports at Khyber pass today. Found the following

- Nice Triumph CE armored textile jacket with zip in heat reflective liner
- Nice Triumph CE armored textile pants.
- OX.. boots
- Shoei XR1000 helmet which fitted me really well
- Gloves... (not kevlar stitiched thou)

All up they wanted about 2k for it.... anyone has experience with Triumph gear?

My only concern is ripping the jacket / pants if I have my 1st off... But its hard to find colour leather in NZ, and its quite a big price difference between good leather and good textile.

Firestormer / Celticno6, are you serious about black? really? :confused:

Lou Girardan, White Trash and Stew where do you guys all work? So I can come check out ur shops, so to keep my options open.

tkns all.

Ghost Lemur
30th July 2004, 13:02
If you are buying the bike from a shop, get your kit at the same time. You should be able to get a super sweet deal doing it that way.

Don't know you're situation, but gear is covered via contents insurance (weird I know). So you really need some if you want your gear to be covered.

Vero? are supposed to be really good and do both bikes and contents, so if you go to them for both at the same time, again you might be able to neg a good deal.

vifferman
30th July 2004, 14:33
tkns for the info so far...

My only concern is ripping the jacket / pants if I have my 1st off... But its hard to find colour leather in NZ, and its quite a big price difference between good leather and good textile.

Firestormer / Celticno6, are you serious about black? really? :confused: Yes, what I said was true, but it doesn't necessarily mean black is best, in fact, you're less visible, especially in dim conditions (like commuting surrounded by dim-witted car drivers.)
Check out Mt Eden M/C and Motomail too. From what I've seen, Mt Eden have some reasonably priced gear, and Motomail have a good range of stuff (gloves, boots, helmets, jackets, pants, etc.) at various prices from 'budget' to more expensive.

Zapf
30th July 2004, 20:57
Ermm.. been to a few places today. Haldane's / Colemans / Mt Eden & the BMW place in new market...... with bery bery expensive gear. But a very nice helmet too.. :eek:

think back to motomail I go tomorrow. damm I need my learners.... getting an itch now....

loosebruce
31st July 2004, 01:00
Hey Zapf, mate good to see you're out there getting your licence, as for your bike choice, it's a hard one, i've ridden all 3 of the bike's your after, My mate's VTR was pretty cool to blat round on he'd put a neptune pipe on it, thing sounded real nice, real easy to turn, brakes are sweet can't fault it really, the GSX to be honest felt like it had no real power at all, real flat and quite boring to ride, same handling as the VTR but i'd have to take the VTR over it unless you prefer full fairing bikes more, the ZZR's haven't really changed much over the years, maybe an idea to if your're in the position to buy 2nd hand to hunt one out, they're pretty reliable and on par with the VTR's in opinion and chances are a lot cheaper than the VTR leaving you more coin for gear.

And if it's gear your're after motomail are okay but expensive go talk to Kerry at Motohaus next door, he doesn't stock much gear but he can get you in whatever you want and at a good price so have a look round figure out what you want and pay him a visit.

Your choice on the bike front mate, take em all for a good test ride and see what one you like best and go from there.

All the best

Zapf
31st July 2004, 09:11
Hey Zapf, mate good to see you're out there getting your licence, as for your bike choice, it's a hard one, i've ridden all 3 of the bike's your after, My mate's VTR was pretty cool to blat round on he'd put a neptune pipe on it, thing sounded real nice, real easy to turn, brakes are sweet can't fault it really, the GSX to be honest felt like it had no real power at all, real flat and quite boring to ride, same handling as the VTR but i'd have to take the VTR over it unless you prefer full fairing bikes more, the ZZR's haven't really changed much over the years, maybe an idea to if your're in the position to buy 2nd hand to hunt one out, they're pretty reliable and on par with the VTR's in opinion and chances are a lot cheaper than the VTR leaving you more coin for gear.

And if it's gear your're after motomail are okay but expensive go talk to Kerry at Motohaus next door, he doesn't stock much gear but he can get you in whatever you want and at a good price so have a look round figure out what you want and pay him a visit.

Your choice on the bike front mate, take em all for a good test ride and see what one you like best and go from there.

All the best

hi there, u are not wrong when u say the GSX has no power. it true :) GSX only make 20kW @ 11'000rpm. Where as VTR makes 32ps at 10'500rpm.

I have recently been told about the Hornet. A 250cc from honda, similar frame as VTR with a inline 4 engine making 40ps.

Ermm... pitty all are older imports.

oh and tkns for the tip I'll go talk to Motohaus

s.langham
8th February 2005, 11:43
Ive been lovin ma 1999 ZZR 250 that i piked up off trade me, done 12500 wen i got it (19700 now!) i scored it for 3800!!
it is a good mix of sports/tourer. i ride it to work every day, thrash it over peikock hill and i've taken her all the way to aucks for a weekend!!!
gettin a workshop manual so i can do a lil more than a simple service.

as for gear i decided textile was fully the way to go, lighter, more waterproof, it breathes and ive heard it lasts longer when sliding against the road?!?! well i bounced wen i dropped my toy!!!
i got all my gear from one dude off trade me ( went to his workshop and tried it all on ) i got, jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, tankbag, disclock/alarm, road boots (with sliders) for under 1000!!!

as for crashes, as my school dean told me a few years back......
"there are two sorts of people on the road...... those who have crashed.................... and those who are going to"

vifferman
8th February 2005, 11:48
as for gear i decided textile was fully the way to go, lighter, more waterproof, it breathes and ive heard it lasts longer when sliding against the road?!?!
Lighter? Yes.
More waterproof? If in good knick, and/or waterproofed.
Breathes? Sometimes - depends on the fabric. But leather breathes too.
Lasts longer? No, definitely not, not even kevlar fabric. Leather still has the best abrasion resistance.

But good for you, buying the full set of gear! :niceone:

Trudes
19th March 2005, 13:16
I totally lost any confindence in learning when we got a fxr, two years later, (last Nov) I bought a new GN 250, bloody fantastic learners bike, super easy to ride, yet still rides like a bike, not a scooter, and really reliable, they appear to be holding their re-sale price well, and not having to get a warrant every six months for first three years I think it is, is bloody beaut!! :niceone:

Mokoro
25th April 2005, 00:06
Was going to start a thread, but thought it might be considerate to ask in here.....

What RPM does your (or has your) 250cc sit at on the open road?
Adjustable with different sprockets?
Comfortable on a long journey?
Fuel consumption?

I'm keen to get ahold of a 250cc, and one thing I want to do is do a biiiig journey (Auckland to Dunedin).
Ive owned an RG150 before, clocked up god knows how many k's in over a year that I owned it, and that was rather rattly/high rpm on the open rd. About 9000rpm at 100ks from memory... Id like to try take the rpm down juuust a wee bit on my next bike..

250learna
25th April 2005, 15:44
I totally lost any confindence in learning when we got a fxr, two years later, (last Nov)

What part of it made you uncomfortable? My m8 got one about a year ago and i learned to ride on that, i found it so light easy to ride? Also it was highly recomended to him at the time by most ppl he spoke to...
Im not trying to say your wrong am just wondering what put you off it?

I was reading a study that said that motorcyclists dressed completely in black were seen more often by cage-drivers, as the black was somehow more "intimidating" and made the rider more scary.

the black gears remind "cage" drivers of the ghostrider the most feared of all :devil2: and that why they feel intimidated :Punk:

pommie girl
25th April 2005, 15:52
Was going to start a thread, but thought it might be considerate to ask in here.....

What RPM does your (or has your) 250cc sit at on the open road?
Adjustable with different sprockets?
Comfortable on a long journey?
Fuel consumption?

I'm keen to get ahold of a 250cc, and one thing I want to do is do a biiiig journey (Auckland to Dunedin).
Ive owned an RG150 before, clocked up god knows how many k's in over a year that I owned it, and that was rather rattly/high rpm on the open rd. About 9000rpm at 100ks from memory... Id like to try take the rpm down juuust a wee bit on my next bike..

Have owned a GN250 first and moved to the GSX250 - have to say prefer the GSX as it feels like an all around a much better ride (to me, anyway) - practically feels like it rides itself compared to the GN250 which I always seemed to battle with on the motorways.

My GSX handles 100kph+ with ease and sits at 7500 rpm, but it had already been adjusted before I bought it from Holeshot in Takapuna. Very comfy to ride and just seems to go forever on bugger all petrol. I take mine into work an back (Albany to city), sit in traffic (occasionally) etc etc and tend to fill it up once every fortnight (or maybe slightly less).

Sorry, don't know all the tech terminology but hope this helps! :-)

Speedy
2nd May 2005, 01:00
hey i personaly like the GSX250 i have 1 and i must say its awsome.....in no way is it as fast as a CBRR250 etc but so much fun 2 learn on ,never ever has problems and so cheap 2 run(not 2 fix) age,price,looks its all value 4 money .Once u get confident regear the sprocets put a pod filter on it and clean out ports etc...........mine quiker now and im halfway through doing all that its a good bike. have fun and goodluck.

Mokoro
14th May 2005, 09:53
Or I could jump on one of these :D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-26891065.htm

gamgee
14th May 2005, 10:23
haha a learner would probably end up killing themselves on that! tis a nice bike tho, what is it a 2 smoker? probably...

Mokoro
17th May 2005, 18:11
Heh, na Ive had a bit of practise myself, had an RG150 for over a year as my only mode of transport.
Ill be buying a bike shortly again! Im thinking VTR250, or somthing along those lines, 4 stroke, as powerful as possible but not retardedly cheap (cough 1989 CBR250's)

gamgee
18th May 2005, 21:15
heard those honda vtr250's are a bit unreliable, best to stick with the gsx/f250 fzr zzr cbr250's there's a reason they're popular

justsomeguy
19th May 2005, 01:12
I'd say get a CBR250RR or a ZXR250 ........... they are the fastest and best bikes according to me.

But a ZZR250 is not too bad either. Just a bit slow and boring.

If you have the self control get a CBR250RR or a ZXR and ride it slow till your skills grow.

But test ride as many bikes as you can. Cos you need to find one that fits you comfortably.

Mokoro
20th May 2005, 14:39
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-27757652.htm

Another possibility. Honda Hornet.. From what I've researched it has a de-tuned CBR250 motor..And Ive only seen good opinions on them so far :D

FlyingDutchMan
20th May 2005, 15:54
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-27757652.htm

Another possibility. Honda Hornet.. From what I've researched it has a de-tuned CBR250 motor..And Ive only seen good opinions on them so far :D

It looks good, but at 33hp its lacking a bit where it counts...

Coyote
20th May 2005, 17:54
If you have the self control get a CBR250RR or a ZXR and ride it slow till your skills grow.
And they make good race bikes.

I'd invest in some crash bungs no matter which bike you get, they'll be good for both the track and road. Very good idea for a beginner that is likely to fall over. Still haven't got any myself though

ZorsT
20th May 2005, 19:37
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Hyosung Comet 250....

I guess that is a subtle hint, i want to know, how well it would suit.... :D

phaedrus
20th May 2005, 21:13
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Hyosung Comet 250....

I guess that is a subtle hint, i want to know, how well it would suit.... :D

I like them, they turn easily, and go fast enough for me, hills are not a problem. (I've heard of people taking them up to 140, if you could get the revs all the way up in top gear you'd be at around 160) It's good for the long haul rides. and gets about 300+ Km to a 17L tank. There's no reserve on mine, so I havn't tested the full range yet. The gearbox is a little tight early in the break in, but it sorts itself out in the end. For those that havn't seen one in person, it's not a bike for the short (for a sense of scale i'm 6'2").

if i'd riden any other bikes i could give you a comparison, but this is my first. As things stand, to get me to ride another bike this one would probibly have to die an explosive death, of course i'd probibly just get another one.

out of curiosity what sort of weight are other 250s. The hyosung is 150Kg(dry)

Mokoro
2nd July 2005, 12:53
It looks good, but at 33hp its lacking a bit where it counts...

According to this site (which I dont follow as gospel) the bike is 40hp, putting it in line with the yamaha fzx zeal (did i get those letters around the right way?)

That hornet that I pasted prior is still in trademe for sale...

Mokoro
2nd July 2005, 13:09
err forgot link

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Honda/2001/Hornet%20250/

Squiggles
2nd July 2005, 22:42
i love my rgv250, it has handled everything i've thrown at it while learning, a great bike....but then again,i havent really tried many other bikes, but the real tidy cbr250rr outside mt eden mtrbikes felt far more comfortable to sit on :P, am hoping to test ride it this week if i get a chance :)

FlyingDutchMan
3rd July 2005, 11:48
According to this site (which I dont follow as gospel) the bike is 40hp, putting it in line with the yamaha fzx zeal (did i get those letters around the right way?)

That hornet that I pasted prior is still in trademe for sale...

Hmm... I stand corrected. Looks like they've taken the engine straight out of MC22 and slapped it in there.

Zapf
12th July 2005, 23:40
since I did start the thread and its close to 1 year now since I got my VTR250 and moved on I think I should post an update on here.

Clothing wise I have moved on from textile to leather, as it does give more protection and also has less wind drag. Also some how gives me more confidence....

VTR250 is a good bike, however for a longish trip I would op for at lease a 400 and a twin if possible. Since the extra cubs and torque from a twin makes riding long distance much easier, and also makes over taking safer and less effort. I just remember what a BIG effort it was on the VTR250 to try to over take anything at open road speeds, being that the flat tack top speed is 140km/h it doesn't give you a lot to play with.

a 600 multi or a 650 twin would be just the right choice for a mix of open road and city riding, or as at the moment I have a CB400 for city and a 750 for the open road.

unhingedlizard
25th July 2005, 20:26
I like them, they turn easily, and go fast enough for me, hills are not a problem. (I've heard of people taking them up to 140, if you could get the revs all the way up in top gear you'd be at around 160) It's good for the long haul rides. and gets about 300+ Km to a 17L tank. There's no reserve on mine, so I havn't tested the full range yet. The gearbox is a little tight early in the break in, but it sorts itself out in the end. For those that havn't seen one in person, it's not a bike for the short (for a sense of scale i'm 6'2").

if i'd riden any other bikes i could give you a comparison, but this is my first. As things stand, to get me to ride another bike this one would probibly have to die an explosive death, of course i'd probibly just get another one.

out of curiosity what sort of weight are other 250s. The hyosung is 150Kg(dry)

Thats not too bad, my TDR is 153kg with full fuel tank and oil

crash harry
31st July 2005, 22:09
I'll add my 2c worth (my first post on KB as well so be nice...)

I started out on a ZZR250 and I thought it was excellent. I would fully recommend them as a first bike - they are fast enough to get you out of trouble, but not fast enough to get you into it too quickly... Nice torque curve as well, much easier to ride for a beginner than the CBR250RR that I ride now (ZZR got written off...) Also has the bonus that it doesn't really look like a 250 'cos it's a bit bigger than most.

OTOH, if you've done a bit of riding and are comfortable on a bike - ie. more than a few months on the road - I would have a look at the ZXRs or CBRs. They go good for a 250, and once you get addicted to the revs, there's no cure :D

steved
4th August 2005, 10:14
Hmm... I stand corrected. Looks like they've taken the engine straight out of MC22 and slapped it in there.Seems likely. The power and torque values (and RPMs) are spot on. Seems strange that they'd put this motor into a commuter bike though. You'd think they'd go for a less rev happy engine, more torque lower in the rev range (like the VTR 250).

froggyfrenchman
9th August 2005, 17:27
i sujest you get more riding experiance in on the likes of a gn250 before tackling a 4cyclinder. But if you are choosing between the three... i would say zzr250.

GN1NiteStnd
24th August 2005, 09:32
Yip the GNs what im learning on!
its great for a learner, especially for someone that didnt even know why on earth you need a clutch.
Less power to deal with and doesnt crap out at the slightess of rider error.
Yup my GNs perfect for me, well until i need more grunt that is... :ride:

spada
30th September 2005, 21:39
Spadas the way to go Ha Ha. :not:
They are good bikes if you get a good one. I know they're older then the VTR but they are just as good if not better. Don't look as modern but they go better. If you look at on though make sure you get some one who knows something about bikes to go with you and look it over.

They're heaps of fun just talk to limbimtimwim as to which bike is faster.

Good luck with choosing

nicmotors
21st October 2005, 17:17
Yep i agree,
The best way to think on the bike is that everyone has the capacity to take you out, as a biker you have really got to look for any kind of trouble when your out on the road.
Wether it be a stupid pedestran walking out in front of you without even looking, or boy racer. They all gotta be kept an eye on.

It's one thing that has greatly improved since i strated riding, my techniques of reading the road ahead.

Apparently in the roadcode it suggestes that we shud use the 12 second rule (that is looking ahead) as appose to the 2 second one... it also makes for better planning of which lane to be in, or when to pass etc, etc

NSR-Dan
26th November 2005, 22:32
Just Wana Mention with buying gear, if you have a credit card.
go and try on what you like at a shop and then buy of ebay.

Thats What i did and i got all new,
Alpinestars Leather TZ-1 Jacket- $320
Shoei RF-1000 - $400
Alpinestars SP-1 Kevar Gloves $150
Alpinestars Boots - $350

Cant go wrong with Alpinestars gear as the Moto GP guys and Formular 1 use that gear, so that kinda tells you its good.

nzbornconfuseddesi
1st December 2005, 14:08
Guys, I am 6 foot 6. I am 21 and I am selling my car for bike. Totally amateur, dont know how to ride, just got the license. Like the Hyosung Aquilla (NZD 6000), coz of looks.. yes I am superficial.
But I also like Yamaha XV250 (NZD 7000) and Suzuki VL250K5 (NZD8900) and GZ250K4 (NZD5000). All I know is I like their looks and those are the only 3 bikes I am gonna buy or something which looks like them.
Can you guys suggest pros/cons for the above (besides price factor). Which one is cruisiest to drive ( the dealers wont let me drive the new ones :( )
Parts? maintainence?
Please help. I need a bike immediately.

Sniper
1st December 2005, 14:29
Guys, I am 6 foot 6. I am 21 and I am selling my car for bike. Totally amateur, dont know how to ride, just got the license. Like the Hyosung Aquilla (NZD 6000), coz of looks.. yes I am superficial.
But I also like Yamaha XV250 (NZD 7000) and Suzuki VL250K5 (NZD8900) and GZ250K4 (NZD5000). All I know is I like their looks and those are the only 3 bikes I am gonna buy or something which looks like them.
Can you guys suggest pros/cons for the above (besides price factor). Which one is cruisiest to drive ( the dealers wont let me drive the new ones :( )
Parts? maintainence?
Please help. I need a bike immediately.

Hey mate, firstly, welcome to the site

Secondly, you RIDE a bike, you don't drive it.

I would suggest you go to the dealers and have a sit on a bike, ask the dealers if you can push it around and just get a general feel for the bike. Im not too sure on the bikes you have asked about as most of them are to new for me :thud:
Take care and ride safe

texmo
1st December 2005, 16:52
If you are 6'6 get an exemption and buy a 400ish will be cheep and if its a crusier your after you wont die like you would on a 400 sprots bike.

gamgee
1st December 2005, 20:29
If you are 6'6 get an exemption and buy a 400ish will be cheep and if its a crusier your after you wont die like you would on a 400 sprots bike.
what are you trying to say here? are you alluding to the fact that cruisers are slow? :blank: because you're right :thud:

Gremlin
2nd December 2005, 15:48
Being an absolute learner, you would be very very lucky to get an exemption, for learners, I believe the circumstances would have to be exceptional (What they told me).

Not sure what bikes those are, but off road, and naked bikes are better for tall people I think.

Try starting your own thread as well... track your progress kinda thing...

nzbornconfuseddesi
6th December 2005, 02:02
Thanks guys, I have had a look at the Hyonsung Aquilla, Suzuki Marauder and Intruder in the cruiser series. Hyosung being the biggest, still I couldnt move the handle coz my knees almost touch the handle.
I rode Hyosung Comet (naked style) and quite liked it. Also I quite liked GSR250 (the sports version).
Although the Sales person advise that I will be ok with any of the two (naked/sports) which one do you guys think I should get (ease of use and considering that I havent driven a bike or a bicycle before)? Dont really if I will be comfortable with the sports ride style, but them being a learner its the same across all of them
Obviously the sports model has the looks coz it has more plastic. Also sports model has dual disc ...or something which makes it $1000 dearer.
Help please

Roki_nz
25th January 2006, 18:07
dual disc is better means your bike stays in a stright line when you break as single is slighly unbalanced not whole lot but a little bit personaly i have just started riding and i would say go with somthing a bit better than the gn250 say as gsx or any other sport or a comet would be fine may take you longer to learn it and get comfortable with it but you won't out grow it in a few weeks the other option is rent a lower end 250 for a while till you get comforable or buy a very very very cheap hunk of junk then move up, just my two cents

JamesHD
17th April 2006, 16:30
the zzr250 is a great bike to learn on. i have had mine for a couple of years and it has been great. just thought i'd say. cheers

MidnightMike
17th April 2006, 16:38
which one do you guys think I should get (ease of use and considering that I havent driven a bike or a bicycle before)? Dont really if I will be comfortable with the sports ride style, but them being a learner its the same across all of them
Obviously the sports model has the looks coz it has more plastic. Also sports model has dual disc ...or something which makes it $1000 dearer.
Help please

I say go for the naked bike, it will cost you less when you drop it, and you will.
Also you can use that 1k on some gear to save yourself if you bail off.
You may wanna get some riding lessons too, maybe if your lucky one of the kb guys might teach you, more than likely for a few beers :drinknsin

PS, JamesHD if you wanna sell your bike soon give me a pm ( Private Message )

ducatilover
17th April 2006, 17:28
vt250 spada. wins hands down.:love:

Bangbug
18th April 2006, 09:54
Having ridden a few 250's I am still an avid fan of the cbrr250 (that's why i own one :) ) 91. It is has less compression than the gsxr and the fzr so its less inclined to compression lock, it feels like you are far more "one" with the bike instead of having some forks, the rest and then you comprising 3 parts.
Sitting low in the seat is nice, you don't slide backwards.

And failing that on friday i was giving a gsxr 750 and a brand new r6 a licking up and down the coromandel!!!! lol, so they still have the goods to be a great sleeper :P

zxr250........haven't tried one of them.......... i want a positon at kawasaki shortly so GO THE KAWASAKI too!!!! lol (just incase anyone important is reading)

All the best, don't buy anything naked or upright. just go fast.

Bangbug
P.S: Don't teach people to ride on your own bike, they crash it :angry: bastards! So read my other post and help me out!!!!!!

MikeyG
27th April 2006, 17:50
[QUOTE=Fish]If I was coming in on a learner license right now, I'd buy one of the brand-new GN250s for $2995 in the Suzuki dealers at the moment. Can't go wrong with one of those and it'll be pretty reliable with only basic maintenance.

Why bother with a new one? I got my 25,000k's 1986 model off trade-me for $615. I've spent more than that on riding gear.

I had to reg and wof it so it has cost me about a grand all up but if I gave it a clean and polish I could put it on trade-me and get about $1200 for it.