PDA

View Full Version : ARAI HELMETS... advice/info needed

Toaster
4th January 2007, 09:58
I have an ARAI head.... the bit above my shoulders. :Punk: The old helmet is a bit battered.

Is anyone able to give me feedback on new ARAI helmets? The few places I have been able to find them for sale are pretty hopeless and just want you to buy one. I am interested in hearing what the RX7 helmet is like after a period of use (especially given that they are so dang expensive!)

http://www.phoenixnw.co.uk/arai_rx7.html

These profile helmets sound like a better design, but don't seem to be sold in NZ. Anyone know if there is anywhere in NZ selling these?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=27621&department=101&division=1

Any feedback is helpful thanks!

Squeak the Rat
4th January 2007, 10:22
Hi Toaster,

I've gone through a similar exercise recently. From what I've been able to work out (sorry for the word count):

The Arai Rx7 is the top of the line helmet designed for racing. I've heard reviews that it can be a bit noisy, but it's light and comfortable.

The Astro-R and the Viper are the next models down, both with a different head shape fit. Arai have decided to put out some different shape fits, which is good news if you don't have a traditional Arai head but a little confusing if you do. And it seems we've inhereted the UK naming convention, but I believe Viper = Profile and Astro = Quantum II. Try a uk site like http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/2

Having tried on the Astro-R and the Viper, I thought that the Astro has the "traditiona"l Arai fit, well at least from previously having owned a Quantum F. The Viper felt to me like a Shoei, especially around the cheek fit - though it is a different head shape too, so you'll want to try one on of each.

Then there's the Condor and Chaser. I've not had any experience with these but I recall some members having these models and they may have some views.

None of the reviews that I've read reveal Arais as being tops in the quiet stakes, but the're not the worst either. I just find them superbly comfortable and I love having a chin spoiler.

I have an Astro-R being delivered next week :D

Hope some of this helps. Remember what I've said is based on my subjective investigations - getting a good fit is most important!

Toaster
4th January 2007, 10:24
Hi Toaster,

Thanks for that, most appreciated.

boomer
4th January 2007, 11:02
it fits my head, others didn't or rather didn't seem to fit so snug. Its light, bright, airated but noisey. had mine for 2 years and still going strong. innards are removable, so you can wash and clean. i have a smoked lense too which took 2 or 3 attempts to realise how it worked. by which time i'd snapped the side cover off. $20 to replace which i was grateful cos i thought i'd wrecked a $1500 helmet. It has plenty of air vents and a pull down kneck piece ( air/noise or whatever thingy-a-whatsit )

no complaints from me other than a tad noisy but i use earplugs anyway.

see my profile for my lid

Squeak the Rat
4th January 2007, 11:14
Haha, yeah the visor system is a bit antiquated.

PS - Motohaus seemed to have a good selection of Arai's in Auckland, and they are clean unlike in some other bike shops.....

Check the latest couple of issues of KiwiRider that has a full page ad for the Arai models and colours available in NZ.

Mort
4th January 2007, 23:30
I have an Arai Astro R (Shwantz Replica).... Before that I had a Quantum E (Doohan rep). No question in my mind that you buy a helmet a) to save your life, b) to be comfortable and look good and c) to last 5 years or so before you should replace it. Arai score on all those counts and are worth every penny spent.

However, be careful how you clean them. Only use mild soap and water. Anything with a solvent in and they fall apart as my Shwantz lid did... I sent it to Pheonix UK and they tested it for solvents, gave a written report on their findings and why I shouldn't use solvents etc... and then fixed the helmet for cost price.....

Which leads me to ... d) Arai after sales service. Superb.

Have no doubts - buy one.:rockon:

Lou Girardin
5th January 2007, 06:04
I'm not impressed with Arai's value for money. I prefer Shoei, XLite and Schuberth.

The_Dover
5th January 2007, 06:08
you'll want a flip face or an open face on that 109 mate.

with skulls painted on it.

and tassles, to match your chaps.

Bob
5th January 2007, 07:28
I've 'only' got an Arai RV - but I love it to bits. Three years on and it is still as snug as ever and still does the job.

I had a quick trawl to see if I could come up with some RX7 reviews - hope these help (they range from MCN - take with a pinch of salt - to someone just submitting to a review site):

http://www.ciao.co.uk/ARAI_RX7XX__77955

http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/reviews.php?prodID=774

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.products.product&resourceId=1344021

Fat Tony
5th January 2007, 07:49
Wouldn't stick my head in anything else - nothing else fits my head as well for starters. Had my last RX7 for five years, loved it until the day I replaced it with another (RX7 McCoy Corsair) and sold the old one for a third of the price I'd paid for it five years earlier :)

I love the visor system, it's increbibly quick to switch visors once you've got the hang of it. A few years ago Arai introduced a couple of levers, which pop up when you have the visor fully open, to aid removal of the visor.

Yes, they're expensive, but I don't regret a single penny of the spend. Quality kit.

People say that they're quite a noisy lid but I can't say I notice any more noise in that than in my wife's AGV lid.

Grumpy
5th January 2007, 08:01
Had my RX7 for a few years now. Went to a shop that was able to supply some extra cheek pads etc.. and made sure I had it fitted perfect before I paid over the money. Can wear the thing all day not a problem. If it fits your head shape, nothing better. Don't worry about the noise. Ear plugs are cheap.

RM125king
5th January 2007, 09:06
i have an Arai rx7 helmet as well and i tried heaps of different helmets before i brought this one and they all seemed to be too tight in one place or another then i picked up the arai and WOW i couldnt believe the difference. it was just so light and so comfortable you could wear it all day no problems at all.

highly recommended.

The only problem is the NZ supplier is slack cunt. the only decent place i found them was a suzuki place near k road in auckland.

Squeak the Rat
5th January 2007, 09:38
iThe only problem is the NZ supplier is slack cunt. the only decent place i found them was a suzuki place near k road in auckland.

Are you sure that's a supplier issue, not a shop issue? A lot of shops probably aren't comfortable having 10 RX7's sitting on a shelf - about $15 grands worth of stock right there.

I've dealt with the NZ distributor on issues with other products and found them very helpful (ie couriering a complete set of screws for a rack when I found one missing).

There's a list of dealers in the latest kiwirider mag with all the models and colour schemes (obviously limited choice in NZ). If the shop doesn't have the colour you like either ask for a discount on one of the stocked ones or ask them to order one in.

Crasherfromwayback
5th January 2007, 09:54
I have an ARAI head.... the bit above my shoulders. :Punk: The old helmet is a bit battered.

Is anyone able to give me feedback on new ARAI helmets? The few places I have been able to find them for sale are pretty hopeless and just want you to buy one. I am interested in hearing what the RX7 helmet is like after a period of use (especially given that they are so dang expensive!)

Seeing as (like me) you have an 'Arai head'....you simply cannot go past the protection offered by Arai helmets.
I would be surprised if ANYONE here has bounced on their head more often than I have....and I won't wear anything else.
Quiet in the back seats please....

RM125king
5th January 2007, 10:16
Are you sure that's a supplier issue, not a shop issue? A lot of shops probably aren't comfortable having 10 RX7's sitting on a shelf - about $15 grands worth of stock right there.

I've dealt with the NZ distributor on issues with other products and found them very helpful (ie couriering a complete set of screws for a rack when I found one missing).

There's a list of dealers in the latest kiwirider mag with all the models and colour schemes (obviously limited choice in NZ). If the shop doesn't have the colour you like either ask for a discount on one of the stocked ones or ask them to order one in.

yeah i was dealing through a shop and i looked through the book and said i want this one. they ordered it in front of me and something turns up a week later similar but not the same. ok i will try a diferent one and the same thing happened again. but i have heard this is pretty common.

Firefight
5th January 2007, 10:30
Not sure which one I got, bloody exspensive :shit: $$$$$$$$$$, but best lid I have ever owned, got it from Kerry at Motohaus, good bugger even let me pay it off..

Met the Arai rep dude a few weeks later, at the local dirt bike shop, he seemed okay, have had no trouble what so ever with the helmet, and recomend it.

F/F

dawnrazor
11th January 2007, 20:15
RX7 corsair - best lid I've ever had, got it at a knock own price $800 (RRP $1300). SHOEI just don't fit me, simple as that, I like SHARK as well but they ain't very common here.

But the RX7 is a class A helmet, take care of it and it'll last you for years

Toaster
12th January 2007, 19:32
Strangest thing..... I found a SHOEI fit great. I must have the weirdest head.

The_Dover
12th January 2007, 19:39
Strangest thing..... I found a SHOEI fit great. I must have the weirdest head.

I'll fucken say. You traded a gixxer thou for a plastic hog.:gob:

Grahameeboy
12th January 2007, 19:43

But he didn't have to crash it......I mean them............first:yes:

The_Dover
12th January 2007, 19:47
But he didn't have to crash it......I mean them............first:yes:

fuck up fag, at least I'm not stupid enough to park it where it will get reversed over.

and it was better than paying for servicing

Toaster
12th January 2007, 19:48

Well, I walked into that one! What can I say, I like bikes the same way I like boobs... big and fake.

boomer
12th January 2007, 19:49

Never a truer word from a swetty sock.

the other sentence was spot on too btw ;)

Grahameeboy
12th January 2007, 19:50
fuck up fag, at least I'm not stupid enough to park it where it will get reversed over.

It....was...in'....a....parking.......bay

The_Dover
12th January 2007, 19:57
It....was...in'....a....parking.......bay

well that was your first mistake you fuckin mongtard.

everyone knows you should only ever park your bike on the pavement or behind something solid. how thick are you?

and toaster, it's all good bro, big fake titties or young firm pert ones. they're all funbags at the end of the day.

Toaster
12th January 2007, 20:00
(said in Homer Simpson's voice)

mmmm young firm pert ones....... (drool)

Grahameeboy
12th January 2007, 20:05
well that was your first mistake you fuckin mongtard.

everyone knows you should only ever park your bike on the pavement or behind something solid. how thick are you?

and toaster, it's all good bro, big fake titties or young firm pert ones. they're all funbags at the end of the day.

It was a work car park...no pavements and opposite me were 2 containers so guess this covers the 'solid' bit...........the moron reversed along and then turned in...........not much I could do............god bless you

boomer
12th January 2007, 20:06
god bless you

What about me??

Grahameeboy
12th January 2007, 20:08
What about me??

Okay........................

The_Dover
12th January 2007, 20:08
What about me??

he says you're fucked

boomer
12th January 2007, 20:09
he says you're fucked

I knew that.. i just needed a second opinion.

Biff
19th January 2007, 12:20
I've got an RX7-RR4. The dogs danglies so I'm told. It's by far the noisiest lid I've ever owned, then again it was designed as a race helmet.

My 2c - always try before you buy, especially if you're Asian or buying from Asia. There is a noticeable difference between Arais sold into the Asian market for Asian bonces and caucs like moi.

I wont buy one of this specific models again. My ears wouldn't let me. Then again I paid around $1000 less than you would here in NZ (from Sing, just off church st).

Toaster
19th January 2007, 13:42
The shoei isnt as quiet as the old helmet, but its a good summer helmet. Feels a bit more open. Visor system is good.

Eddieb
19th January 2007, 14:21
I have a Arai Condor, the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned, but it's quite a bit noisier than my bottom of the range 5 year old Shoei.

Hammer
19th January 2007, 20:03
Had an RX7 for a few years. It has clocked up 30,000 clicks and still in good nick. Light and great vents. Quality product. Yes it is noisy. Very well made with a good shell. Getting visors off is a bit fiddly. My only grumble is that it is a bit noisy in comparison to a Shoei XR1000 but then again I am deaf anyway......so my missus claims!!!!

geoffc
21st January 2007, 18:48
Hi
I have the Astro J, this helmet was brought out from UK. Great helmet, no question about that. Very good ventilation, comfortable and quiet. Just a comment, make sure it has the breath defector (that sits above the nose). If it doesn't come standard, buy one. Cheers

Fatjim
21st January 2007, 19:06
The most important thing is the fit. Who cares if it's noisy, wear plugs, that makes it quieter by a long way than a quiet helmet.

PM me for a website that'll supply an RX7 for around $950 to your door, usually within a week.

RM125king
21st January 2007, 19:41
the covers that cover the swing thingy on my visor has broken. does any body know i if can get these or do i have to buy a new helmet?

steveyb
21st January 2007, 20:47

These profile helmets sound like a better design, but don't seem to be sold in NZ. Anyone know if there is anywhere in NZ selling these?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=27621&department=101&division=1

Luckily for me I do not have an ARAI head or I would also be forced to pay for one. The RX7 model line is, almost by definition, the best designed and manufactured helmet on the market. All of the other ARAI upper range helmets use the same shell as the RX7 without the frills.
MCN magazine in UK ran a comparo test between EC test and Snell over a range of helmets. Of the ones that made it to the second level of tests the RX7 performed the best. One of the tests is a penetration test which helmets must survive one penetration. The RX7 survived 9 or something!!!! The AGV Ti-Tech which I use (like Valentino) did not even survive the first level of tests!!!! But I can't wear an Arai due to its shape.

Remember, the RX7 line is designed for racing application, not for road riding, so is much more noisy than the CONDOR or VIPER for example. As I said earlier, the Condor and Viper use the same shell and liner as the RX7.

Buy an Arai if it fits you, it is simply the best, cost be buggered!!!!

I am sure that Motomail sells Arais.

Nasty
23rd February 2007, 05:32
I had a Shoei, then got myself an Arai from Kerry at Motohaus.. good bugger let me pay it off even.

Interesting fact..

Arai, is actually Maori for ..screen, protect, shield. Never knew that. Its a wonder the Maori havnt claimed rights on the helmets yet.

Arai might be another one of those terms which is used in multiple languages .. each having their own meaning ... without an issue ... there are piles of words like that .. including my own (real) name.

ceebie13
26th February 2007, 08:03
Bex and I are pretty much sold on the Viper. We are both getting fitted for them at TSS this week. So watch this space. May well do a post in Product Review. Meanwhile here's a pic.

Street Gerbil
1st March 2007, 17:34
Dude, Arai makes good helmets, but before committing to a new one, check out HJC HQ1. I think Colemans has them. Just a suggestion.

FROSTY
1st March 2007, 17:55
I had a rx7 gibbernau . To be honest I hated the darn thing.
I thought for the money it was a pile of shite.
Reasons--noisey.antique visor system,reduced pheripheral vision,and most of all --In full race crouch the darn thing would rotate downwards leaving me looking through the eyebrow vents
For $800 or 1500 depending on the deal --nahh ill take a new generation shoei

blackstarninja
12th March 2007, 21:49
Had my arai rx7 rr Roberts lid for about 3 years now
Before that I had another rx7 rr Haga lid which hit the ground really hard in a accident .

Would never buy another type of lid as the rx7 is amazing .
Looks good , great ventilation and if you saw how hard my damn head hit the ground when I had my crash with my haga lid on , man it sure saved my head .

After that experience , knowing how well it will protect my brains , I have no probs recommending them .

Big Dave
13th March 2007, 00:25
It's good to be Big Dave.
Get the right cheek pads and get it fitted properly and all these fit my melon just fine.

The Stranger
13th March 2007, 00:58
Would never buy another type of lid as the rx7 is amazing .
Looks good , great ventilation and if you saw how hard my damn head hit the ground when I had my crash with my haga lid on , man it sure saved my head .

After that experience , knowing how well it will protect my brains , I have no probs recommending them .

The other day I tossed out my old Shoei witch took a beating in a bin. We tried smashing it first against a concrete column a couple of times by hand, that didn't work. My son grabbed a long handle axe and beat the hell out of it with the back of the axe. It took at least 8 blows for it to penetrate the shell. We then turned it on it's side and tried to crush it the other way, even with the top stoved in it took a bloody lot of work to break it.

Point is, I think you would be surprised at the punishment most helmets would take.

ceebie13
13th March 2007, 07:14
...We tried smashing it first against a concrete column a couple of times by hand, that didn't work. My son grabbed a long handle axe and beat the hell out of it with the back of the axe. It took at least 8 blows for it to penetrate the shell. We then turned it on it's side and tried to crush it the other way, even with the top stoved in it took a bloody lot of work to break it.

Ha... I have that problem with my Mrs' boiled eggs!

danchop
28th March 2007, 07:56
arai helmets for the top racers are just off the shelf like what you or i would recieve but for most other brands the helmets are custom made for the particular rider

Shaun
28th March 2007, 09:16
arai helmets for the top racers are just off the shelf like what you or i would recieve but for most other brands the helmets are custom made for the particular rider

Wrong! I have been sponsored by Arai helmets for many years, and they make a inner shell that fits my head for me.

danchop
28th March 2007, 20:21
shit i hate being told porkies by sales reps then

Shaun
28th March 2007, 21:16
shit i hate being told porkies by sales reps then

They just do not know the facts mate, just reps, that is all

danchop
28th March 2007, 22:25
top helmets all the same,ive always had them because the fit for my head is very good and still have my first one as a spare (an old mick doohan giga),if a different brand fitted better i may consider it,btw shaun how did they get one to suit your head do you provide a mould of sorts?

Shaun
29th March 2007, 02:02
I had a rx7 gibbernau . To be honest I hated the darn thing.
I thought for the money it was a pile of shite.
Reasons--noisey.antique visor system,reduced pheripheral vision,and most of all --In full race crouch the darn thing would rotate downwards leaving me looking through the eyebrow vents
For $800 or 1500 depending on the deal --nahh ill take a new generation shoei

Dick head, try getting the proper size next time

ducatisl
29th March 2007, 12:47
It wasnt that long ago shaun was wearing an Arai, with the Arai logo replaced with the logo of a cheaper brand of helmet.. He is not the only racer that has done that. i wonder why that is ?

ducatisl
29th March 2007, 13:02
danchop, what you where told by the Arai rep was infact 100% correct. I have been involved with Arai for a number of year, visiting the the factory in japan several times, attending Arai technical training seminars annually and know the key personal at Arai very well. Arai do make 3 different shell shapes depending on the model of the helmet and market they are manufactured for. eg helmets for the Asian market are a "round oval" shape where as the ones we receive here in NZ are the made for the european market which are a "Long Oval" shape. Sean may have had the interior comfort liner and cheek pads changed to a different thickness which is a service available to anyone from their local Arai stockist. so the same helmets world champions have been wearing for years are the same helmets you can buy off the shelf. and yes other brands do make helmets specialy for there racers.... it the old storey, you get what you pay for.

Shaun
29th March 2007, 13:30
It wasnt that long ago shaun was wearing an Arai, with the Arai logo replaced with the logo of a cheaper brand of helmet.. He is not the only racer that has done that. i wonder why that is ?

Because Arai NZ were not sponsoring me at the time, and I would not wear another helmet apart from the Arai back then

Shaun
29th March 2007, 13:31
danchop, what you where told by the Arai rep was infact 100% correct. I have been involved with Arai for a number of year, visiting the the factory in japan several times, attending Arai technical training seminars annually and know the key personal at Arai very well. Arai do make 3 different shell shapes depending on the model of the helmet and market they are manufactured for. eg helmets for the Asian market are a "round oval" shape where as the ones we receive here in NZ are the made for the european market which are a "Long Oval" shape. Sean may have had the interior comfort liner and cheek pads changed to a different thickness which is a service available to anyone from their local Arai stockist. so the same helmets world champions have been wearing for years are the same helmets you can buy off the shelf. and yes other brands do make helmets specialy for there racers.... it the old storey, you get what you pay for.

My inner shell has always been an Asia shell, with a slightly different scollop on the crown for my head

ducatisl
29th March 2007, 15:54
the original comment from danchop was "arai helmets for the top racers are just off the shelf like what you or i would recieve but for most other brands the helmets are custom made for the particular rider" Which you said wrong, but is correct. Arai race servise can modify the inner shell for COMFORT, but they do dont make special inner or out shells for racers. Other brands do make SAFER helmets by way of stronger outer and softer inner shells for their racers than are available to the general public.
Hope this clears up any confusion.

White trash
29th March 2007, 16:05
What we've established here, is that Mr Harris has a funny shaped head.
Mr Frost doesn't know how to choose a correct fitment.
And that Arai helmets are the business.

"D" FZ1
29th March 2007, 16:18
Just trashed my RX7 that I have been wearing for the last four years. Just spoken to my insurance company and it is covered so off to see my local friendly Arai rep and get me a nice new shiny one :yes: Wouldn't wear anything else.

Shaun
30th March 2007, 08:10
I have removed a few of my posts on here due to the fact that Arai have always been a very good sponsor of mine through the years with my International racing, and Dold Industries have supported me here in NZ a couple of times as well.

So Back on Track with No confusement.

Arai helmets have saved my life at least 3 times I believe!

And if I had my own way all the time, I would always use ARAI

Suzi Q
1st April 2007, 08:07
I have an Astro R, love it, yes it is a bit noisy but I wear earplugs so it isn't a problem. The venting is superb, much better then my old shoei. I had problems getting the one I wanted, and it wasn't the shops fault, it was the Arai company deciding which models they would bring into NZ. I had to get my third choice of colour etc. I have no iodea how to change the visor, the guys in the shop put my blue mirrored one on for me and it took them ages!!!!

Trudes
22nd April 2007, 19:38
Just ordered a Profile/Viper in the Sinister design, so will report what my opinion is when I get it. I've been lusting after an Arai for ages as they are the only helmets that I put on and think "ahhhh, now that's what I like". Here's a pic of it:

elle-f
22nd April 2007, 19:44
OMG thats bloody scary and yep, i love arai as well.

Meekey_Mouse
22nd April 2007, 23:09
I've just bought an Arai... but I don't have a bike to ride it on :stupid:

I love the feel of it around the house though!!

Pic of my new brain cell keeper... :love:

FROSTY
22nd April 2007, 23:33
Dick head, try getting the proper size next time
I figure after about 27 years of using lids I probably have figured out a propper fit.
My opinion and Ill stand by it--The shoei is a better lid in several ways
I dont like the Arai fit or visor or the narrow eye cutout.

NZsarge
23rd April 2007, 03:20
I've just bought an Arai... but I don't have a bike to ride it on :stupid:

I love the feel of it around the house though!!

Pic of my new brain cell keeper... :love:
yep...nice lid....yours too Mrs K

ceebie13
23rd April 2007, 08:27
Ha!! How sad am I?

Whilst enjoying a warm respite from the freezing conditions whilst in the South earlier this month, I get trigger happy with the camera while we wait for coffees and grub. So what do I do? Take a shot of two helmets.
Sad git! Lovely lids though.

fredie
23rd November 2007, 00:51
http://http://www.lazer.be/detail_2_motor.asp?casque_id=86&langue=EN:clap:

Bobski
26th November 2007, 09:57

Ive just bought a viper from suzuki ch ch, Awsome helmet love it, quiet, light and great ventin no fogging up at lights due to double visor, and sooooooooo comfortable!!!!! they will also service it for you free of charge and has a great after sales service guarentee.