PDA

View Full Version : Stainless exhaust needs to be removed for tig-welding?

SilentDtH
4th January 2007, 12:40
The exhaust on my Honda Hornet has a small bracket that holds the exhaust to the frame, halfway down the entire exhaust system. It's just a small piece of stainless steel bent slightly, welded to the frame and exhaust.

The problem is the welding has broken on the exhaust, so this bracket currently has no effect. I am informed that the entire exhaust needs to be removed for the welding to take place, as the tig will stuff up the electronics on the bike. Is this true?

zzzz
4th January 2007, 12:47
Normally if you disconnect the battery you are fine to weld on a bike. (and car)
And put the earth clamp as close as you can to where you are welding to arcing between parts.
As this can cause things to wear out real fast.
I may as well, disconnect the ECU (etc) by unplugging to be safer than sorrier.

TLDV8
4th January 2007, 13:37
I would second what zzzz said....and Welcome :niceone:

I tacked an exhaust together on the TL with no ill effects but as said i had removed the battery,ECU and moved the welders earth to be as close as possible to the tack zone.
At the end of the day it is up to you and based on how easy the exhaust is to move.There is also the possibility that when removed the bracket postion might be out a little.

I think the main concern with T.I.G is the High Frequency start if that is used verses a lift or scratch start T.I.G
I think the NZ Dairy Board has banned HF start because of so called problems with electronic factory components that may be affected when tube welding is done due to common earthing.

SilentDtH
4th January 2007, 13:44
Thanks for the advice guys! I'd rather not take it off due to cost, and as you say, getting it back on in the right place. I might be able to pop over to a muffler center or something similar and get them to quickly do it, as I have no idea how to use one :)

Thanks again

geoffm
7th January 2007, 12:18
Thanks for the advice guys! I'd rather not take it off due to cost, and as you say, getting it back on in the right place. I might be able to pop over to a muffler center or something similar and get them to quickly do it, as I have no idea how to use one :)

Thanks again

Most muffler places use MIG welding, whcih is like squiting metal out of a toothpaste tube. Not the neatest.
Tig is what you want, and any good engineering shop should beable to do it, otherwise bring it over and I will have a look at it. Bring beer....
Geoff

SilentDtH
7th January 2007, 22:58
Most muffler places use MIG welding, whcih is like squiting metal out of a toothpaste tube. Not the neatest.
Tig is what you want, and any good engineering shop should beable to do it, otherwise bring it over and I will have a look at it. Bring beer....
Geoff

pm sent :)

imdying
9th January 2007, 07:48
Quick question, can you braze stainless mounts onto a stainless exhaust with silfoss or eazyflo?

laRIKin
9th January 2007, 08:07
Quick question, can you braze stainless mounts onto a stainless exhaust with silfoss or eazyflo?

You can Eazyflo stainless steel you can even solder it but I would not on a exhaust because of the heat.
It may get to hot for the brazed joint.

I would check the heat value that Eazyflo can take, (ring a welding supplier) you may be OK if you are at the end of the pipe as it is not as hot.
I have done on the tail pipe on a trail bike because it was a chrome pipe or was it S/S?
And did not want to stuff the finish.

imdying
9th January 2007, 08:32
Ok, I'll try and find out the heat value. It's on a muffler, so not quite the headers, which may help :)

Morcs
22nd January 2007, 16:20
I had the same thing happen to me, and the can ended up tumbling down the road at speed... still not got it fixed. Red baron will do it free of charge for me because I shouted at them... :)

nitro
8th March 2007, 20:37
The exhaust on my Honda Hornet has a small bracket that holds the exhaust to the frame, halfway down the entire exhaust system. It's just a small piece of stainless steel bent slightly, welded to the frame and exhaust.

The problem is the welding has broken on the exhaust, so this bracket currently has no effect. I am informed that the entire exhaust needs to be removed for the welding to take place, as the tig will stuff up the electronics on the bike. Is this true?

hi there down in tauranga we do these repairs on all sorts of late model bikes we just put the earth clamp rite next to what your welding and its fine or disconnect the earth of the battery