PDA

View Full Version : Help required with embedded media thanks.

crashe
4th January 2007, 16:43
SpankMe - Why am I getting a ruddy pop up stating at the top of this thread listed below and not on others on KB.
Its to do with Mac apple stuff.... I have a PC comp.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=883492&posted=1#post883492

IT has also showed up on the Auckland New years eve thread as well.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=40385&page=30

"Additional plugins are required to display all media on this page."
Install Missing Plugins.

If I go to install this set up... it was for Quicktime..... also it would take hours and hours to upload this.
BTW Im on dial up.

This is only just started happening in the last day or so.... it was never happening before... so just wondering if their is a slight glitch in the running system of KB.

Cheers.

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 16:48
Hey its my bad.... I embedded some audio in a couple of my posts...

Im on a mac... she obviously does not have quicktime installed to play them!

Scorpygirl
4th January 2007, 16:49
Crashe..I think it is to do with some people embedding sound files into their posts. Not sure how this is done and this is how SpankMe can help. You can't hear them unless you install certain software and this is why it will prompt you to do so. It's a real pain!!! I keep getting these pop-ups on the lap-top but Paul's work lap-top was OK but now two sound-bites have been embedded and they go at the same time and that's even worse!!

I hope it can get sorted.

Scorpygirl
4th January 2007, 16:51
Hey its my bad.... I embedded some audio in a couple of my posts...

Im on a mac... she obviously does not have quicktime installed to play them!

Thanks for the clarification DD!!

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 16:53
Editing my posts now....

Maha
4th January 2007, 16:56
Editing my posts now....

Naughty DD....:nono: :bash: ...still, had a bit of fun with.....:yes:

Colapop
4th January 2007, 17:02
Insidious other type of computer user person! Make head hurt think - no good.

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 17:06

But it is GORGUS! ! ! !

And it doesnt get nasty viruses....

yours must have the bubonic plaugue by now... :innocent: hehe

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 17:45
geez wouldnt be a problem if you all kept your computers up to date!!!!

:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

crashe
4th January 2007, 17:48
geez wouldnt be a problem if you all kept your computers up to date!!!!

:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

My comp is up to date....... (for its age.)

I just dont have Quicktime installed.....
I never needed it in the past, so why install something I dont need.

Mom
4th January 2007, 17:49

lol.........let him be.......big bad meany..:blip:
nice to see you home intact my friend..........we will have to do that another time for sure

SpankMe
4th January 2007, 18:58
New rule:

All embeded media must have HIDDEN and AUTOSTART set to FALSE.

<embed src="/images/Killing_Joke-Laugh__I_Nearly_Bought_One!-Eighties.mp3" autostart="false"></embed>

Colapop
4th January 2007, 18:59
I agree - If ya wanna be geeky and nerdy, go do it on a geeky nerdy site. Geek Nerd.

Shoulda throwed a chair not sushi...

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 19:00
New rule:

ahhhhh ok so thats how ya do it.... :innocent:

<embed src="http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2007-01-01_355562312901600/movies/misc/bill_ted_excellent.wav" autostart="false"></embed>

Colapop
4th January 2007, 19:02
Still get the missing plugins BS popping up... (must be just coz it was quoted...)

crashe
4th January 2007, 19:04
Damn it, now the pop up has appeared in this thread now as well..........

Install Missing Plugins.

I dont want this pop up appearing at all.

EDIT: On page 1....... it is there..... not on page 2 ...... yet.

Ixion
4th January 2007, 19:05
Why not install the plugns?

I get the message all the time, becuase I do not have any of that stuff installed, by choice.

SpankMe
4th January 2007, 19:06
Install the plugin. You're gonna need it sooner or later on the net. Installing QuickTime (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/) should do it.

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 19:08
Still get the missing plugins BS popping up... (must be just coz it was quoted...)

Damn it, now the pop up has appeared in this thread now as well..........

Install Missing Plugins.

I dont want this pop up appearing at all.

Mwuahahaha!!!! :dodge:

Yeah when you quote a post with embedded audio you need to delete the code before posting... or you get 'echo' sound.

I edited my posts, but a couple of my embedded posts were already 'quoted' and only the person that quoted me can edit it and stop the pop up.

....download quicktime and join the future!! Windows is dying!! Go the APPLE!!!

:Punk: :Punk: :Punk: :Punk: :Punk:

PS - Sorry spank, i'll behave ;)

crashe
4th January 2007, 19:09
Why not install the plugns?

I get the message all the time, becuase I do not have any of that stuff installed, by choice.

why install stuff that you DON'T need?

Why should I put more stuff on my comp and take up more memory etc etc when I dont need it..

I havent needed it for all the years I have owned a comp....... and cant see me wanting it in future....

But I dont need to get all these dam pop up's either....

EDIT: Im on dial up and why should I be forced to spend Hours upon friggen hours downloading stuff I dont want on my comp...... for the likes of a few nerds who want to embed some crap music... into good threads on KB.

Colapop
4th January 2007, 19:15
I downloaded and installed quicktime and the f*ckin thing still hasn't gone! I don't want to become a compunerd just not be bothered by shit.

Ixion
4th January 2007, 19:17
Have you rebooted the PC?

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 19:18

Why should I put more stuff on my comp and take up more memory etc etc when I dont need it..

I havent needed it for all the years I have owned a comp....... and cant see me wanting it in future....

flipping eck.....

Crashe, its tiny. It wont make your computer run slower. In fact it will run better as it will be able to play many more kinds of multimedia (audio & video) files. A lot of websites now use quicktime as standard. It is far superiour to using windows media player... but im bias... :innocent:

I will download the 'small' file and put it onto CD for you if you want???

Dont forget I fix computers for a living... so gimme a call if you need help!!

Can do you a great deal on an upgrade or new pc as well.... :yes: :yes: :yes:

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 19:21
I downloaded and installed quicktime and the f*ckin thing still hasn't gone! I don't want to become a compunerd just not be bothered by shit.

You wanna make your pc run faster?? ...throw it out the window... :yes: :yes:

Then Call me. I will build you one thats faster!!! and has no pop-up windows!! hehehe

For a great price... :yes:

crashe
4th January 2007, 19:21
Disco Dan..... it may be small if you are on broadband to download......
dial up shows it is well over one hour to download it....

If I am doing other stuff on my comp.... it will then take longer to download...

Just replying to the thread...... brings up the pop up.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joni
4th January 2007, 19:23
No disrespect Crashe, but you ask why download stuff you dont need... if this is bothering you as much as it obviously is, then I reckon you need it.

Close KB and all your other windows and do the download...

Peace of mind, no pops ups... would be worth it eh?

crashe
4th January 2007, 19:29
No disrespect Crashe, but you ask why download stuff you dont need... if this is bothering you as much as it obviously is, then I reckon you need it.

Close KB and all your other windows and do the download...

Peace of mind, no pops ups... would be worth it eh?

Because why should I be subjected to these pop ups.....

We didnt get them two days ago........ now we get them when ever Disco Dan embedds stuff into his posts on a thread.

I brought it up because I thought there may be a glitch in the KB running system...... so I brougth it to SpankMe's attention after all he is the owner of the site...... and isnt this what you have wanted us to do..... if a problem bring it to the admins attention....... so I have started a thread in "Site Stuff" where I have a problem.

Others have been effected by it as well.

Colapop, scorpygirl, Rhino and also Speedie on his work computer.
So far that is 5 of us...... there are probably a lot more.

2 days ago there was no problem with pop ups on KB.

Oh and not all of us have the latest computers with all the latest software on their comps.... cos not all of us can afford this.

Yep my comp is old and running ok...... but I dont feel that I should be forced to upgrade software that I havent needed in the past.
If I cant open anything on here..... I move on...... unless I get someone to plonk it onto a disc for me.

Ixion
4th January 2007, 19:32

2 days ago there was no problem with pop ups on KB.

Yes there was . I've had them for ages (well, they're not popups, cos I have the Firefoxy, and they're not a problem cos I ignore the little message, but it's been happening for ages).

Why not just ignore it?

Mom
4th January 2007, 19:33
I agree - If ya wanna be geeky and nerdy, go do it on a geeky nerdy site. Geek Nerd.

Shoulda throwed a chair not sushi...

Now that is just being naughty............LOL.chairs are not fast food!

Colapop
4th January 2007, 19:34
You wanna make your pc run faster?? ...throw it out the window... :yes: :yes:

Then Call me. I will build you one thats faster!!! and has no pop-up windows!! hehehe

For a great price... :yes:
Yeah but a) that would mean learning something new *shudder* and b) spending money not on my bike *double shudder*

Meh, I don't care that much...

Joni
4th January 2007, 19:34
I appreciate your frustration... however Spank recommends it:

Install the plugin. You're gonna need it sooner or later on the net. Installing QuickTime (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/) should do it.

If you dont do the download how can we access if the issue is fixable by this?

Once again, no disprespect Crashe, but the time you took to write all these posts, you would have been 3/4 of the way through...

Sometimes you need to help us, to help you.

crashe
4th January 2007, 19:35
Yes there was . I've had them for ages (well, they're not popups, cos I have the Firefoxy, and they're not a problem cos I ignore the little message, but it's been happening for ages).

Why not just ignore it?

please read above post...... I thought there was a glitch in the KB Running system.....
so I thougth I was doing the correct thing by bringing it to SpankMe's attention.....

But obviously not..........

So I shall IGNORE it as it obviously aint going to go away.......!

Colapop
4th January 2007, 19:37
I'm not going to ignore them! I'm going to rebel a little each time I see one and know that "The Man" aint gonna keep me down!

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 19:38
Im going to climb on the roof and wait for the incoming tomatoes to hit...

PS, Crashe: will download it for you and keep it in my bike and will give to you next time I see you... prob wed/thrs ride.

Ixion
4th January 2007, 19:39
He already is. When you run Microsoft you lie down and get shafted by The Man.

Colapop
4th January 2007, 19:41
Yes butt it whether or not you push back that makes you the bitch...

It just comes up with "no suitable plugins were found"?

Mom
4th January 2007, 19:41

EDIT: Im on dial up and why should I be forced to spend Hours upon friggen hours downloading stuff I dont want on my comp...... for the likes of a few nerds who want to embed some crap music... into good threads on KB.

Crashe i think what they are trying to tell you is you really need to update your pc and software love......

it is a sad fact of life that technology is racing ahead of us "mature" types..:innocent:

I hate to tell you this but you really are going to have to look at upgrading to keep up with what is happening, I am lucky, I work with the trusty PC and its software, I too have an aversion to filling my "HUGE" RAm with stuff, but you simply cant DO anything without these days...start saving

Colapop
4th January 2007, 19:42
Mom, can you kiss it and make it better...?

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 19:43
He already is. When you run Microsoft you lie down and get shafted by The Man.

you speak the truth! Microsoft wants your sole! and while Bill gates waits... he...

:buggerd:

Ixion
4th January 2007, 19:45
Not at all necessary. Some of my equipment is 15 years old. I spend nothing on computer gear, ever. Maybe $60 per year, max. It's all castoffs and handmedowns.

Use Linux, Its FREE. The Firefoxy is FREE.

And they don't need the bloated hardware that Microsoft does.

I'm still happily running a 486 DX100 for some stuff.

crashe
4th January 2007, 19:48
Im running Mozilla Firefox......

Oh well I just give up...... run all ya pop ups ya want......
I shall just have to learn to ignore them..... and not think that I was bringing a glitch in the system to Spank me's attention......

Joni
4th January 2007, 19:52
I shall just have to learn to ignore them..... and not think that I was bringing a glitch in the system to Spank me's attention......I seriously dont get it... we provide you with a solution but you dont take the advice...

Ah well, each man to himself.... :spudwhat:

Mom
4th January 2007, 19:53
Im running Mozilla Firefox......

Oh well I just give up...... run all ya pop ups ya want......
I shall just have to learn to ignore them..... and not think that I was bringing a glitch in the system to Spank me's attention......

We run firefox too crashe, just we have some of the other downloaded stuff to ease the pain on here.........:yes:

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 19:58
GO HERE FOLKS:

http://www.apple.com/nz/getamac/ (http://www.apple.com/nz/getamac/)

Rhino
4th January 2007, 20:01
As an add on to this thread, why does opening this thread request that I run an ActiveX control on my laptop? (the desktop machine is ok though.)

Before anyone comes back and says "install Quicktime" I am running Quicktime Pro V7 bought and paid for on both machines. I also have worked with computers back to the days of writing assembler code for Z80 based machines, so I aint a Noob.

Clicking either run or cancel results in IE crashing. Both machines are up to date with Windows Updates etc, so it seems that some embedded data in one of the posts on the first page of the thread is causing this.

It's time for either Spankme or one of the mods to check out the posts and remove the offending embedded data.

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 20:06
As an add on to this thread, why does opening this thread request that I run an ActiveX control on my laptop? (the desktop machine is ok though.)

Best guess is some mac/windows compatibility issue with the embedded html code... nothing to worry about. prob just a one off.

Colapop
4th January 2007, 20:12
The only Macs we should be having is from Ronald!

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 20:16
The only Macs we should be having is from Ronald!

You know you want to!!

You can surf the netty underworld without protection... because macs are secure. outta the box.

Colapop
4th January 2007, 20:17
Aint there spiders on the interweb?

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 20:20
Aint there spiders on the interweb?

Yeah prob... look for yourself

HERE (http://www.funlol.com/funpages/scary-spiders.html)

Colapop
4th January 2007, 20:22
I had a quick look and found alot of cats and roosters...

Scorpygirl
4th January 2007, 20:38

Before anyone comes back and says "install Quicktime" I am running Quicktime Pro V7 bought and paid for on both machines. I also have worked with computers back to the days of writing assembler code for Z80 based machines, so I aint a Noob.

Clicking either run or cancel results in IE crashing. Both machines are up to date with Windows Updates etc, so it seems that some embedded data in one of the posts on the first page of the thread is causing this.

It's time for either Spankme or one of the mods to check out the posts and remove the offending embedded data.

Rhino speaks the truth, and I am getting pissed off. Just lets put an end to secret embedded files. Why should people have to download software that they don't want - just cause some twat wants to be smart and embed files.

Some on KB are still on dial-up and to download new software take ages. Maybe some can't afford expensive upgrades but they still are on KB.

Please just lay-off and understand what some of us are saying. Put an end to secret embedded files.

Ready to be red rebbed!!!
:Punk:

Colapop
4th January 2007, 20:54
Yes that's right. I just want to go back to wearing my tinfoil hat in the peace and comfort of my bunker...

Rhino
4th January 2007, 21:13
Ok folks, a bit of further info regarding the original issue and thread that Crashe was complaining about. When visited by IE6 a request to run an AcitveX app is displayed unless your "Internet Security Level" is set to LOW in IE, due to the embedded data.

This is not a good idea,as it leaves peoples comps open to risks from unsigned and trojan ActiveX applications.

Mods, please ensure that unsigned, embedded ActiveX data is not allowed in future posts.

Fat Tony
4th January 2007, 21:16
New rule:

*EDIT: [sound file deleted so as not to bother y'all having issues]

Man, I haven't heard that track for a while... excellent... thanks :)

(and if I could add my 2cents-worth to all the ranting... stop using bloody IE, lol)

Colapop
4th January 2007, 21:16
And now for the plain engrish version - Don't put wanky shit in your posts you psuedo-clever f*cks!

Disco Dan
4th January 2007, 21:34
And now for the plain engrish version - Don't put wanky shit in your posts you psuedo-clever f*cks!

<embed src="http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2007-01-01_355562312901600/tv/mpfc/blah_blah.wav" autostart="false"></embed>

:done: :done: :done:

Maha
4th January 2007, 21:48
I get the odd pop up from time to time.....sometimes its...:o but mostly i put it to good use.....:blip:

Squeak the Rat
5th January 2007, 08:48
New rule:

Can you chuck that in a FAQ or somethun? I couldn't find anything last time I looked then copped flak / red + a warning for embedding a short sound sample....

Fair rule though.

Cheer.

Rhino
6th January 2007, 16:50
Ok folks, I have spent some time this afternoon chasing this issue. The problem is that Internet Explorer (IE) sees the embedded file as an unsafe ActiveX control. With the default settings of medium security (or higher) it prompts for the download, but refuses to initialise the file and then crashes.

Lowering the security level of IE overcomes this, but that is not a good idea. Hopefully all users will now not embed audio files in their posts.

SpankMe
17th January 2007, 17:49
Anyone know why FireFox ignores the autoplay="false" option in the embed tag?