PDA

View Full Version : Lower North Island roads

re5rotary
5th January 2007, 19:13
Hi a bunch of us from the South Island are coming up to the North Island in March. We are leaving Chch Thursday morning and want to be in Rotorua sometime on Saturday and home again Monday. can anyone recommend some good riding routes that will cover the areas we will be in? regards terry

Titanium
5th January 2007, 19:35
You like main roads or secondary roads?

Zukin
5th January 2007, 19:45
Hi there

I would consider the East Coast on the way up :)
I have not included any gravel roads, but there are plenty if you like gravel.

I would head over the Rimutakas, and just before you go into Featherston take a right hand turn and follow the road down past Lake Wairarapa, it is quite nice, then into Martinborough and then up the back roads through Gladstone to Masterton, then inland again (up SH52 I think) to Dannevirke, then up SH50 to Hastings/Napier.
Over SH5 to Taupo and then Broadlands road to Rotorua

Back down the other side?

Just some ideas

Scott

limbimtimwim
5th January 2007, 21:03
There is a back road from Masterton to Waipukurau via Porangahau. Takes some time, but some cool scenery.

There is petrol in Pongaroa and possibly in Wimbledon (!!) as well.

Grub
5th January 2007, 21:20
Some other options ....
- If you get near Dannevirke, Woodville, Ashurst or Palmerston then I would make a detour onto the Saddle Road between Ashurst and Woodville for a great bike road witht he added bonus of being in the middle of NZ's first and biggest wind farm. Did it today - awesome. Take the time to go up to the lookout.

- Also if you're in the Taupo/Turangi/Tokoroa areas and needing to go north/south, I would consider the Western side of lake Taupo. The roa is between Turangi and Tokoroa and is a great bike road with no traffic ... and look for the little pub about in the middle (in the ex service station)

- If you have already done SH1, Waiouru to Hamilton (we tend to avoid it at all costs) then turn left at Waiouru and go Ohakune, National Park, Taumaranui, Te Kuiti, Otorohanga and then leave SH3 and go up SH39 to Ngaurawahia - magic and no cars!

Shit, there's heaps more ... give us some ideas about which general directions you're going and we can flesh out the details

Brett

madmal64
5th January 2007, 21:24
I would head over the Rimutakas, and just before you go into Featherston take a right hand turn and follow the road down past Lake Wairarapa, it is quite nice, then into Martinborough and then up the back roads through Gladstone to Masterton, then inland again (up SH52 I think) to Dannevirke, then up SH50 to Hastings/Napier.

Back down the other side?

Just some ideas

Scott
Yeah what Zukin said. I have just got a great motorcyle map book published by Hema Maps. Have not got it here with me right now, it down in the workshop with my bike. But a decent map shop shop have it. I paid $30 for it.
To expand a little from Zukins post from Masterton head to Alfredon, on to Tiramea, Weber, Wimbilton, Waipukarau, Waipawa, Napier, Taupo Rotorua.
If you give us the heads up before you arrive Im sure some of the Welly crew with be more than happy to sort you out and may even tag along for some of the trip over the Takas & the Wairarapa parts.

MattRSK
5th January 2007, 21:29
Why not go from Taupo through to Whakatane, then on to Rotorua. Your going to want to take the road to Murupaua then turn off to Reruwhakasomethingrather. Great fun.

MaxB
6th January 2007, 00:33
Hi There

I’m guessing you will be in Wellington sometime on Thursday. So basically you have 2 days to get about 470kms.

If you want to travel the main roads here are some I like that would get you there:

Rimutaka Hill Road from the Hutt Valley (SH2)
From SH2 turn at Woodville to Feilding via the Manawatu Gorge.
Take SH54 as far as Cheltenham turn left at the pub then up to SH1 near Vinegar Hill.
Continue to the only decent bit of SH1 - The Desert Road.
At Turangi take SH41 to the Western Access Road (SH32) to Whakamaru.
On to Atiamuri via SH30 then turn left onto SH1 for 5kms then right onto SH30 again through Guthrie and on to Rotovegas

Some good minor roads that are unsealed in parts and may be worth a look:

Stratford to Taumarunui via the Whangmomona Pub (SH43)
Napier to Taihape on the Gentle Annie Road
Masterton to Waipukurau on SH52

Just a few more to add to the pot.

re5rotary
6th January 2007, 15:57
HI thanks for the suggestions so far. We would rather stay off the main road ie SH1 if possible and no gravel roads. We intend to get to Wellington or a bit further on the Thursday and want to cross on the ferry mid morning Monday. So we have all Friday and some of Sat to get to Rotorua and Sunday to get back down somewhere near wellington to cross mid morning Monday regards Terry

shafty
9th January 2007, 15:40
There is a back road from Masterton to Waipukurau via Porangahau. Takes some time, but some cool scenery.

There is petrol in Pongaroa and possibly in Wimbledon (!!) as well.

Yes, there is gas in Wimbledon, down the side of the Pub, was there last week

madmal64
9th January 2007, 23:23
Yes, there is gas in Wimbledon, down the side of the Pub, was there last week

Only 91 octane I think. But if you need it, its there for sure

Zookey
3rd March 2008, 20:18
Shafty ,is the road mentioned sealed as planning a trip to Castlepoint.also do you know if the Pongaroa -Alfredon road is sealed

Pussy
4th March 2008, 07:01
Why not go from Taupo through to Whakatane, then on to Rotorua. Your going to want to take the road to Murupaua then turn off to Reruwhakasomethingrather. Great fun.

Rerewhakaaitu.... I grew up there :niceone:

nadroj
4th March 2008, 08:14
Rerewhakaaitu.... I grew up there :niceone:

That explains a few things.....:shutup:

Pussy
4th March 2008, 08:52
That explains a few things.....:shutup:
Yeah, right before I got a scholarship to reform school... :innocent:

duckonin
4th March 2008, 11:56
Yeah, right before I got a scholarship to reform school... :innocent:So u would know all the Church clan then??:clap:

Pussy
4th March 2008, 14:24
So u would know all the Church clan then??:clap:

Yep, I lived just a few kilometres away from them. Didn't know the sons very well, but had quite a bit to do with their dad, Merv. Top people!
Oh, I went to school with Evelyn, Merv's sister, she was about 3 years ahead of me

KoroJ
4th March 2008, 17:06
Shafty ,is the road mentioned sealed as planning a trip to Castlepoint.also do you know if the Pongaroa -Alfredon road is sealed

Yep. The road all the way from Masterton to Waipuk' is sealed as are the roads out to Riversdale and Castlepoint. If you go out there, you can cut accross through Tinui from one to the other for a bit of variation on the way back.

Masterton to Waipuk' is just on 200Kms so if you top-up in Masterton you shouldn't have to stop along the way.

Wellington to Rotorua is really just a day ride, but options worth looking at are:

1, East Coast: Wgtn - Featherston - Martinborough - Gladston - Water Towers Loop (Tupurupuru Te Wharau Rd / Westmere Rd / Mstn Stronvar Rd) - Te Ore Ore - Alfredton - Pongaroa - Porongahau - Waipuk' - Napier - Gisborne - East Cape - Whakatane - Rotorua

2. Central: Wgtn - Eketahuna - Mangamaire - Aokautere - Ashhurst - Pohangina Valley East Rd - Apiti - Kimbolton - Cheltenham - Vinegar Hill - Hunterville - Fordell - Wanganui - Raetihi - Taumaranui or Turangi - and too many options.

3. Mix 'n Match: Over two days you could have fun up the centre then throw in a Napier - Taupo and do the East Cape or Waioeka Gorge.

4, West: As for Central but from Taumaranui do Forgotten Highway to Stratford - Inglewood - Waitara - Awakino Gorge - Te Kuiti - Kihikihi - Putaruru - SH5 to Rotorua.

All these options have a mix of good riding roads.

Dino
4th March 2008, 19:44
Yep. The road all the way from Masterton to Waipuk' is sealed as are the roads out to Riversdale and Castlepoint. If you go out there, you can cut accross through Tinui from one to the other for a bit of variation on the way back.

I Did the road back road from Tinui to Alfredton a couple of months ago, there is a lot of logging going on so the gravel is pretty rough and cut up in places.

Some great suggestions and some great roads to ride, hope the weather is good, have fun.

Radar
5th March 2008, 10:29

Glad that Zukin and others say to go over the Rimatukas and into the Wairarapa. Many people just head straight up SH1 from Wellington. Not only does the Wairarapa have some really good back roads for you to ride on, but if you head to the fine city of Napier you will get all the benefits of being in the Hawkes Bay. When in the Wairarapa, the mandatory stops are at the Martinborough Hotel and especially the Gladstone Pub.

Let me know when you will be in the Wairarapa and I may join you part way.