PDA

View Full Version : Carb work??

WICKEDWIDER
6th January 2007, 01:28
Hay I am looking to get my carbs syncroed where is a good place to go and what sort of money would I be looking at?

Paul in NZ
6th January 2007, 11:36
Probably wasting your money if you don't get the valve clearances, ignition timing etc etc checked as well.

You could learn to do it yourself? Higher upfront cost but free there after

WICKEDWIDER
6th January 2007, 21:51
thanks man where would I learn to do all that?

Paul in NZ
7th January 2007, 11:23
thanks man where would I learn to do all that?

The service manual for the bike you own would be a good start. Valve clearances can be tricky if a special tool is required for a bucket / shim set up. However once the basic skills are mastered you will have them for life and it's well worth while.

I used to do my carbs by ear but I purchased a balancer a while back which certainly speeds things up. Cost about $100 but the Guzzi has never been into a workshop in 60,000km and I still have the tool so a decent investment I suppose?

There are several really good website on basic mtce as well. Do a search on carb balancing (but read up on basic function first)

If you don't think you can manage it, find your local dealer but if you fancy your ability you will find a lot of people here much more able than me that will help out. However the point is, the carb synch is the last thing to do when tuning the bike. Everything else needs to be checked first as valve clearances affect the valve timing and basic running of the bike. Chances are on a modern well maintained bike everything will be dickitypoo BUT if it has not been done recently you need to baseline the engine. Persumably its idling a little lumpy (hence the question) so you need to take a squizz at all the possibilities.

Cheers

degrom
13th January 2007, 19:42
The service manual for the bike you own would be a good start. Valve clearances can be tricky if a special tool is required for a bucket / shim set up. However once the basic skills are mastered you will have them for life and it's well worth while.

I used to do my carbs by ear but I purchased a balancer a while back which certainly speeds things up. Cost about $100 but the Guzzi has never been into a workshop in 60,000km and I still have the tool so a decent investment I suppose?

There are several really good website on basic mtce as well. Do a search on carb balancing (but read up on basic function first)

If you don't think you can manage it, find your local dealer but if you fancy your ability you will find a lot of people here much more able than me that will help out. However the point is, the carb synch is the last thing to do when tuning the bike. Everything else needs to be checked first as valve clearances affect the valve timing and basic running of the bike. Chances are on a modern well maintained bike everything will be dickitypoo BUT if it has not been done recently you need to baseline the engine. Persumably its idling a little lumpy (hence the question) so you need to take a squizz at all the possibilities.

Cheers

May I ask where you bought your sync tool? I would like to buy one myself...

What type do you have? Vacuum gauge or ManoMeter?