PDA

View Full Version : Missing, after a hell clean

mikey62
6th January 2007, 08:47
Ok, gave the old girl the holiday hell clean. Left her out to drip dry and put her away overnight. Then yesterday decided to take a wander out to Pine Harbour for the hell of it but there was no power once I opened her up so came back home. She will rev like a banshee while stationery but as soon as I go to open her up she coughs and splutters. When I was heading out I didn,t give much thought to it as she hadn't been ridden for a week and thought she was cold. Any one have ideas on what might be causing this ? :scratch:Cheers

paturoa
6th January 2007, 08:53
Sounds like water in the carb float bowls, drain them and try again.

crashe
6th January 2007, 09:10
Well that will teach you a lesson.

Next time you dry her down properly and put a nice blankie over her at night time...

Gee how would you like it if you were given a wash and left to stand there shivering.... and thrown into the garage...... not nice at all.

She is paying you back....... :whistle:

Hope you you can sort it out the wee problem.

Sparky Bills
6th January 2007, 09:30
Yip..
Drain the carb bowls and check the plugs and plug caps.
Water will always find a way in!

Good luck.

mikey62
6th January 2007, 12:31
Well that will teach you a lesson.

Next time you dry her down properly and put a nice blankie over her at night time...

Gee how would you like it if you were given a wash and left to stand there shivering.... and thrown into the garage...... not nice at all.

She is paying you back....... :whistle:

Hope you you can sort it out the wee problem.

It was a nice warm sunny day yesterday. By the time she went to bed all else was dry.:sunny:

mikey62
6th January 2007, 12:33
Sounds like water in the carb float bowls, drain them and try again.

But it revs nicely while standing, only coughs when under a load. Wouldn't it cough while just idleing ?

Toaster
6th January 2007, 12:35
Ok, gave the old girl the holiday hell clean. Left her out to drip dry and put her away overnight. Then yesterday decided to take a wander out to Pine Harbour for the hell of it but there was no power once I opened her up so came back home. She will rev like a banshee while stationery but as soon as I go to open her up she coughs and splutters. When I was heading out I didn,t give much thought to it as she hadn't been ridden for a week and thought she was cold. Any one have ideas on what might be causing this ? :scratch:Cheers

Are you talking about your motorbike or your missus????!!!!!

paturoa
6th January 2007, 19:56
But it revs nicely while standing, only coughs when under a load. Wouldn't it cough while just idleing ?

The bottom of the main jet isn't far from the bottom of the float bowl.

An engine only needs a little throttle opening to red line when sitting in neutral. It only needs enough energy / petrol to overcome the internal friction of the motor and intertia to spin up the revs.

As such it doesn't have to "suck" much gas thru the carb, and if there is a little water in the bowl, it often doesn't get sucked up into the main jet.

When under load, a lot more energy / petrol is required to push your cykel along, and a much bigger throttle opening is required to suck the extra gas. When this happens there is enough "suck" to lift water from the bottom of the float bowl and missing happens.

This may be your prob or may not, but after a hell clean, it would be the first thing I'd try.

If there is water in the plugs or other eleckies, then it is normaly a pain to start and runs rough at all reves (not always!)

mikey62
6th January 2007, 20:15
Lifted the petrol tank and everything else under it then discovered the carb bleed screws. Drained everything out of the bowls and cleaned some shit out of the first carb. Put it all back together and went for a blat. Took a while but had power thru acceleration yeah ! Had a look in the drained fuel but didn't see any water bubbles. Must have been something but seems to be all good for now. Cheers for your help.

Mr. Peanut
6th January 2007, 20:25
If you have any more trouble, put half a cup of meths in your tank.

mikey62
6th January 2007, 22:05

mmmm never heard of that one. cheers

Mr. Peanut
6th January 2007, 22:07
Just did that to my mates bike today, would start up, go ok for about 5 minutes then splutter and die. Choke and start, ok for 5 minutes.. etc.

Drained the float bowls, then put half a bottle o meths in the tank, works fine now :)

Drum
6th January 2007, 22:11

What does that do then? Something to do with separation?

Mr. Peanut
6th January 2007, 22:13
Mixes with the water and is burnt off.

Drum
6th January 2007, 22:27
The water and meths mix together? Surely not! Maybe the water sits on top of the meths, on top of the petrol?

Ixion
6th January 2007, 22:31
Meths is ethanol. Ethanol is miscible with both water and petrol, and will therefore solubilise the water into the petrol.
If ethanol and water weren't miscable ,the barmans job would indeed be a difficult one. Add some water to your whisky, see if it mixes in OK.

Drum
6th January 2007, 22:47
........ Add some water to your whisky, see if it mixes in OK.

NEVER!

10char

Redstar
7th January 2007, 09:03
Hi
it might be that the coils were left wet and that caused misfire which in turn caused an oiled up plug? before you pull the carbies apart clean the plugs?
cheers

HRT
11th August 2007, 22:32
Old thread I know, but having a similar issue on my CBR250. Rode the bike back from Chch to Dunedin during the flooding and she was sweet all through it. Had been sitting for about 2 weeks and took ages to start and doesn't make any power over 8k. Seems alright up until then, though thats where it usually starts making things move. Might be time to start pulling stuff off? Assuming the carbys are easy enough to drain?