PDA

View Full Version : 8min blast, what do u think??

andy1
3rd June 2003, 14:06
i was just wondering what u think of this.
we meet a guy on a 954 a couple of weeks back, man could this guy ride. im not to sure how many k's the blast is(kopu to whanga turn off) but if someone could suggest would be good. now the point of this.
he started at the kopu petrol station (coromandel) and finished at the whanga turn off(there is a small area to park on the right). now the part that i think is amazing is that the journey only took him 8mins!. he reached a top speed of 300km and sometimes on one wheel. to get the correct time people where at the start and finish. maybe its just me but i think thats a bit extreme. if u havent done this road u should but not this crazy.
thanks

bluninja
3rd June 2003, 17:12
Hasn't this guy heard of trackdays or racing on a track? What do I think? I think 8 minutes of video might look good online. I also think 300k is a bit of a brag...real 300 k is hard to reach on a bike.....what the speedo says is not always accurate, and it always overestimates. As for timing at both ends.... a stopwatch on his dash would have been accurate to within a few seconds.

TTFN

Dave
3rd June 2003, 17:38
Its all fun 'till someone looses an eye!
I think this nutcase should get out on a race track.
There the bragging stops!
What I found when roadriding is the guys who can pull off stunts like this just don't care if they take out other people,or go home in a box. Yes it probably can be done-But most people just won't try.
It will look good on his tombstone though;
Kopu to whanga in 8 Minutes-RIP

Coldkiwi
3rd June 2003, 17:50
The authority on this one would be KiwiDan. I understand he knows the kopu hikuai road VERY well.

I did it a month or so ago and I recall that stretch took me between 15 and 20 mins.. maybe 25ish. I don't know the road that well but I was pushing reasonably hard and gave it the berries whereever I could.

I think the odds of HALVING my time on that road are pretty friggen slim unless your last name is Rossi, you're wielding an RC211V GP bike with hot slicks, no traffic and no regard for your own life... then your odds are just marginal.

maybe I'm a limp wristed rider but I think your friend on the 954 is bending the truth somewhat!

infact... I thought that was so much arse that we've just worked it out.. kopu to hikuai turnoff.... 33kms.... in eight minutes.. an average speed of 247kmhr!!! AND MONKEY'S MIGHT FLY OUT OF MY BUTT!!! Forget Rossi... you'd need scotty from Star trek to teleport you to get there in 8 minutes.

Blu and I averaged 96kmhr from wellsford to mangawai going pretty quick over a far less twisty and hilly road thats in better condition. Rossi wouldn't even average 247kmhr at Pukekohe.

your mate is as full of crap as a broken dorm toilet after some big bran muffins for breakky.

andy1
3rd June 2003, 19:05
hey, thanks for the reply's.
on board video coming soon!! and pics!
top speed 298km! where he reached it was down hill there's a brigde in the middle. i know that speedo's can be off maybe 5km maybe more.
he rides this road everyday, so he know's every bump and every corner. there was no traffic on the road, i think he did it early on sunday morning.

sometimes he waits on his deck of his house till other bikes pass by and then chases them, then passes them round a corner.

this 8min blast can only be proven with the on board camera, so like you i cant want till i see it. also i have found out that it is 29km exact, from kopu to whanga turn off.
thanks

Nouseforaname
3rd June 2003, 20:03
well i sure do hope that im not riding on that stretch of road ( or any other for that matter ) when that asshole is coming round the corner....... sure it's a very impressive 8min ride, but fuck..... thats just stupid... if he kills himslef, agh who cares, but some poor person has to scrape him up.... and anybody else he takes out in the process. have we already forgotton the poor girl who died only a few weeks ago after some clown did they very same thing, thought he could ride his bike at crazy ass speeds and not hurt anyone.

eNZed Fred
3rd June 2003, 20:18
nah.......... sorry, don't believe it can be done.  But shit, I've been wrong before.  You're still talkin average speed of 217kph.  (135mph)  Maybe going west from Kopu to Waitakaruru would be more like it.  Isle of Man is done at 125mph.  Cheers.

andy1
3rd June 2003, 20:53
yea, i dont think anyone will believe and myself until a video is seen. 217km is far to fast through those corners.

some motorcycle shop's know of this crazy man and know of his crazy missions. even tho he might know the road things can change over night (trees etc..) i just wanted to read other people's opinions, thanks

Coldkiwi
3rd June 2003, 22:17
perhaps it can be done by removing every 2nd frame of video footage and putting it on high speed? Like the lady said '... that don't impress me much!'

Sorry... with those kopu end corners as tight as they are, even if he could (lets conveniently ignore inertia forces for a second) pull 100kmhr through all of them, he's still got to be well over 300kph for the same amount of time to break even at 200kph..... assuming he can do 200kmhr the rest of the way.

thats simply a bunch of arse! if he can only just pull it to 298 on one of the longest downhills I know of, he got feck all show of doing over 300 anywhere else.

he's lying... pure and simple. if not, then we have our very own replacement for Valentino Rossi who somehow didn't find his calling...

I guess that makes him an egotistical fruitloop then who's out to hurt himself and others. Crazy missions indeed. L

Andrew
3rd June 2003, 22:36
It probly took over 1/2 an hour on my bike!!:rockon:

SPman
3rd June 2003, 23:29
Pull 100 k through all of them......nah ..although 120 k through some of them is quite possible! :D

OK ...is Auckland -Napier in 3hrs 20 possible on a ZZR1100.??

eNZed Fred
3rd June 2003, 23:54
Ork to Napier would be possible in that time, but not the reverse trip.

You see, who the hell would be in a hurry to get to Auckland  ?

SPman
4th June 2003, 00:00
Everyone wanting to get a decent Latte, :p

Goddess of Goof
4th June 2003, 02:11
and anyone frothing at the mouth ....:rolleyes:

Dave
4th June 2003, 09:13
I think I have found the true calling for our hero;

Dave
4th June 2003, 09:15
Well that didn't work! anyway,try this link;
http://www.canosoarus.com/10X1Skycycle/Skycycle01.htm

I think we're looking at perhaps going across the gorges insdead of through them.

Firefight
4th June 2003, 18:35
The guy should ride on a track, I love to go fast, but I also know what its like to wash blood and body parts off the road, you never get used to it !, I just hope he won't take any of the good riders off this site with him !

wkid_one
4th June 2003, 18:52
Hmmm - I will not question it until I have seen the guy ride. 8 mins sounds a bit of a lie tho.

I've followed KiwiDan on that road, and would struggle to find anyone more rapid than him on the road and also we are on a road he knows - and we were no where near that time. 

As for limiting the 'speed' to the track - I must disagree.  I find the track thoroughly boring.  Take Puke for example 7 corners and a 1min lap - where is the fun in doing that repeatedly? I choose to ride fast on the roads instead - accepting the risks.  You learn very little about riding on a race track in my opinion other than how to take the limited numbers of corners well.  You learn no hazard identification and avoidance.  You learn no road reading, no identifying roll off/brake/turnin points - coz you only need do it once.

Yes, 300kph on the road is socially irresponsible - however those that do it judge their ability not to fall off - I have done it and we all have.

Don't judge someone wishing to travel at that speed on the road - they know the risks (legal, life, liability) and choose to do so anyway.  You will note that Andy validated it by the guy saying there was no traffic around - who is he putting at risk then - himself alone

Don't judge others by your yardstick - maintaining 200kph+ on NZ roads is thoroughly achieveable - albeit illegal.

Unfortunately I must say good on him!  Choosing to ride like that and staying on takes nuts (provided it is true of course).  I do it - and whilst I am not proud of my socially irresponsible attitude will continue to do it.

Stay off Puke - all you end up with is a shagged right hand side of your tyre.:rockon::Oops::beer:

bluninja
4th June 2003, 19:13
Hey WKID can I use the snooker analogy again? No? Ok well going around a track is a bit like playing golf:D you are always trying to beat your previous best, or repeat near perfection over and over. However racing is different again.You have lots of (hopefully) equally matched racers all vying for the same bits of track, you not only need to get around the corners and lap as fast as possible you need to get in front of everyone else.If you screw up then all parties have accepted the risks that go with being on track. BTW does this mean you've gven up the idea of racing?

You say 'Don't judge others by your yardstick', don't you know NZ is metric?:p

TTFN

wkid_one
4th June 2003, 20:14
I am sure I said I find the track boring........my view, for some people it is good - I prefer to hone my skills on the road....I didn't say people shouldn't ride on it - I said I don't like it cause I feel you don't learn anything other than how to ride THAT track well...

To coin the snooker analogy again - you don't spend all your practice time playing the same shot over and over again as it is not representative of the game - you need match play practice.

You took my comments obliquely - I refer to going to track days/open days etc - racing is a seperate issue as there is the added factor of other people to add the degree of uncertainty I am after - I look forward to my time on the track for racing.  But those that have ridden with me will attest to my passion for the road over the track.

I would hasten a guess tho that fast road riders make fast track riders - but fast track riders don't make fast road riders.  I say this as road riding fast requires more attention than racing and more ability to ride from the seat of your pants and adapt on the fly.  Also road riding fast requires greater extension of concentration as you don't know what is coming next  - testament to the fact that Rossi SUCKED at rallying (tangental comparison I know).  This is also a generalisation.  This is the same reason David Jefferies (RIP) rode in road racing circuits - he found track racing dead boring (excuse the pun please - no disrespect intended - they were his words 12 months ago when interviewed)

Same as good snooker players make great pool players - but great pool players don't make good snooker players.  One requires more skill than the other (PS I do play both before I get chewed out by a pool player) - to use my old analogy.

bluninja
4th June 2003, 20:41
Well wkid you've got me there. BUGGER:o As for taking your comments obliquely...well everyone's got to have their angle :D

TTFN

wkid_one
5th June 2003, 10:36
LOL - it is just an opinion and therefore can be disregarded as rubbish - I just like typing lots!

I just like speeding on the roads - completely stupid I know.......but I do - I'll admit it......nothing quite like stuffing a car up the inside to a corner and cranking the bike right over thinking 'FARKKKKKKK I am going a bit quick.......brain - tell hand to let go of brake pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....phew'.  It is the whole 'what the feck is around the next corner' feeling I like - and hitting a corner you don't know perfectly.

I live for the puckered arsehole feeling of making it around a corner you didn't think you could.....yes - I do get on with KK before you ask.

The track doesn't have the uncertainty I like.....unless others are on it racing - now that I look forward to.

Do I need help?

bluninja
5th June 2003, 11:17
Do you need help??? Only if your arsehole doesn't unpucker:D  You could always ride KKs bikes if you want some extra unpredictability to your road riding:gob:

TTFN

wkid_one
5th June 2003, 11:22
PMPL - thanks for an image I didn't really need!

Motu
5th June 2003, 13:15
I'm sorta with wkid on this one - I much prefer riding on roads than the track...there is just so much more to do,speeds are less than on the track,but the awarness level is higher - I feel I get much more out of riding on the road.

Gravel roads have always been my specialty - where do I go to race on those? Yeah,I've done a rally sprint on a bike - in 8hrs I got 2 runs,less than 8mins riding for a whole day in my gear.And the car guys think you're nuts and treat you like shit.

On the other hand when trying to get guys to ride on an oval track they would say - Oh,but it's boring just going around in circles.....what the fuck you mean you're bored!! how can you be bored if you're scared shitless! and if you're not scared shitless then you're not going fast enough! I never got bored with going around and around again.

bikerboy
5th June 2003, 17:04
As long as you don't adhere to the KK school of motorcycle maintenance there is absolutlely nothing wrong with your opinions Wkid. :rockon:

Perhaps you'll influence him in a positive way as you tend to spare no expence on your bike. :D

SPman
5th June 2003, 19:48
Originally posted by wkid_one

I just like speeding on the roads - completely stupid I know.......but I do - I'll admit it......  

Isn't that part of the major appeal of road riding?   I'm in complete agreement with Dan on this one! Its GREAT!

I live for the puckered arsehole feeling of making it around a corner you didn't think you could......

It's amazing how much puckering up, keeps you on the road.......particular quantum zephyronic physics????

The track doesn't have the uncertainty I like.....unless others are on it racing - now that I look forward to. ....Do I need help?  

I'm afraid you're beyond help W1 :D

How about Road racing.......IOM perhaps - a track thats a road, riders ahead of you to catch who are racing - but aren't, a "mountain" to climb and all the pucker factor you can poke a case of haemmorhoid (sp?) cream at! :p

What?
7th June 2003, 09:07
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
The authority on this one would be KiwiDan. I understand he knows the kopu hikuai road VERY well.

infact... I thought that was so much arse that we've just worked it out.. kopu to hikuai turnoff.... 33kms.... in eight minutes.. an average speed of 247kmhr!!!

I also am more than slightly familiar with this road, having once lived near to one end of it and wasting many a day riding it. Kopu to Hikuai in 20 minutes is pretty respectable. 15 would be bordering on the impossible, especially if you figure in some other traffic, not to mention the road surface. 8 minutes?????? In a helicopter, maybe. And 300K top speed?? Make it a bloody fast helicopter!:beer:

marty
23rd November 2003, 20:03
check out this link for fast riding - 5 corners over 30 miles - slowest at 140mph. i think there's 5 corners in the first 300 metres of the kopu hikuai

http://www.2wf.com/articles/stories/10107483-575E-4F71-B3F4-D73E069B8060.asp

Lee Rusty
24th November 2003, 02:44
the guy is a bullshit artist pure and simple

LB
24th November 2003, 04:49
I'm not a rocket scientist, but in my humble opinion I don't believe it's possible to average that speed. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the road when he's trying either. I will remember, should I ever be up that way, to avoid that stretch of road at all costs - I don't want to be carved up on a blind corner when I'm out on a public road just trying to enjoy myself.

Lynda

SILVER SUZI
24th November 2003, 11:57
Already commented on this here somewhere (not this thread). I lived in Whanga for 6 years but Iv'e only been doing it on my bike for the last eight months. I'd have to agree with the rest of you, the corners at the Kopu side going up if you are going to Whanga are pretty tight not to mention corrugated. And like I said before it would have to have been some time ago, It's not that quiet anymore. Cosidering that trip takes the average cage thiry minutes you'd have to have a period of twenty two minutes without any cars going past. Or be suicidal enough to pass on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner, and if thats you then your'e the kind of WANKER that shouldn't be on a bike giving the rest of us a bad name!:argh:

Coldkiwi
24th November 2003, 14:56
Andy1's mate on the 954 Blade (mad and freakin fast) did it in 15 minutes when a group of us went to whanga/waihi. That was hustling and I think I came in a few minutes after. He thought MAYBE 12 could be down on a clear road and super stickies with no thoughts of survival but even he agreed that 8 minutes was pure lies.

as I said before Rossi averaged 155kmhr in the last Mugello round of the MotoGP. 225kmhr? I don't think so.

Motoracer
24th November 2003, 15:56
True... I didn't know he already timed himself. Its not possible then.

130wide
24th November 2003, 19:04
Let me know when he's going to do it again, I'll take the turbo off my 750 and put it on my RD50 so I can keep up just to make sure he's telling the turth about his time. I choose the RD50 over the 750 turbo as to save weight so as I can hit 300ks plus on the straights.
PS What tryes and pressures should I use........
PSS I have no rego or WOF on the RD

Kickaha
24th November 2003, 19:14

As for limiting the 'speed' to the track - I must disagree.  I find the track thoroughly boring.  Take Puke for example

Well if you use Pukekohe as an example you'd be right because I doubt there is a more boring track in the world.

would hasten a guess tho that fast road riders make fast track riders - but fast track riders don't make fast road riders.

I've seen a few so called fast road riders find out they aren't really that quick at the track,and I'd be willing to bet the guys I know would equal anyone on the road in terms of speed.

wkid_one
24th November 2003, 19:19
Its a moot point for me to argue - I would highside on thr 3rd corner

What?
25th November 2003, 08:29
Originally posted by 130wide
I choose the RD50 over the 750 turbo as to save weight so as I can hit 300ks plus on the straights.

You're on the right track.. About 20 years ago I was giving it my all on a CB750F coming down the hill towards Kopu and got cleaned up by a Ducati 450 single. (he was still well outside the 8 minute bracket, though!!) :p:whocares:

gpercivl
25th November 2003, 08:48
Originally posted by Kickaha
Well if you use Pukekohe as an example you'd be right because I doubt there is a more boring track in the world.

I've not found it boring...every time I've been out to it I learn something new and there's always someone going faster than me...

I've seen a few so called fast road riders find out they aren't really that quick at the track,and I'd be willing to bet the guys I know would equal anyone on the road in terms of speed.

I thought I was a reasonably fast street rider (Swanson to Upper Hutt in 6 hours 5 mins including 3 stops for petrol on a XJ-750 with 820 Yoshi kit) but after 20 years of street riding I went to the race track and learnt so much more about corner speed that it made me laugh... of course not all those skills you can use on the street because conditions change too often and you can't always see around corners. But now I go out for a relaxing ride behind my street buddies and almost fall asleep trying to keep up.:cool:

SPman
25th November 2003, 09:12
It is a bit of a revelation sometimes to ride with a pack of current(ish) race riders on the road. My racing days are 30 years ago and I would call myself a moderately fast road rider, certainly no whiz kid, but its great following guys with a lot of track experience,particularly on AMCC rides, just to re-appreciate what it means to be smooth and focussed on the road in the twisties. It certainly means I have to notch up a level, to keep up! Im glad I can , most of the time , without going into 11/10ths.

PS ever tried going up a twisty road and NOT exceed the limit - like Waingaro to Glen Murray.  Stick to 100k but not slow down or use the brakes on the corners - its FUN and much more relaxing than point squirt brake, relying on technique and corner speed in the hairpins......

Motoracer
25th November 2003, 11:16
Originally posted by 130wide
Let me know when he's going to do it again, I'll take the turbo off my 750 and put it on my RD50 so I can keep up just to make sure he's telling the turth about his time. I choose the RD50 over the 750 turbo as to save weight so as I can hit 300ks plus on the straights.
PS What tryes and pressures should I use........
PSS I have no rego or WOF on the RD

The 8 minute guy doesn't live around here no more. He has actually gone off to the southern part of the country. If you want, I can ask my other mate who has similar speeds if he wants to meet up with you for a ride. PM me your details if interested. You two might enjoy the ride.

Car Dodger
25th November 2003, 15:18
Its not impossible.
I once rode from Auckland to Wellington in just 5 mins:beer:

Motoracer
25th November 2003, 15:25
I didn't know you owned the SR-71 Blackbird. Must have been one hell of a ride! :eek:

Car Dodger
25th November 2003, 15:28
Close man,

but nah, did it on my Honda, of course not long after I first got it.

Coldkiwi
25th November 2003, 16:24
Originally posted by Motoracer
I didn't know you owned the SR-71 Blackbird. Must have been one hell of a ride! :eek:

actually.. the black bird would take a poxy 13 minutes. I think you'd need the columbus shuttle to do it in 5 :)

(spot the anal mechanical engineer)

750Y
25th November 2003, 16:53
Its a moot point for me to argue - I would highside on thr 3rd corner

lol, good to see you still have your sense of humor.

wkid_one
25th November 2003, 17:30
Hey - I'd give it a gr8 go tho. 

I won't post my time bridge to bridge over the Rimutakas as I will be called a 'wanker' etc for riding like that on the road - but please note - my best time was set at 3am on a Wednesday morning (being socially responsible you see) - however I am ashamed to confess it was nearly equalled at 10am on a Sunday.

The thing that pisses me off - I was riding like a vertible NANA when I came off!

bluninja
25th November 2003, 19:49
Hey WKID, didn't bite in the other post...damn...I'm losing my touch.

BTW my only RTA I was driving like a nana on a bike 14 hours old. Wrote my bike, leathers, boots and helmet off...but hardly a dent on the tractor:o

TTFN

Lou Girardin
26th November 2003, 07:00
When I was 12, I did it in 3 minutes on my bike and we were livin' in shoebox in't middle of road.
Lou

bluninja
26th November 2003, 07:22
You lucky, lucky barstard. I used to dream of living in a shoe box in't middle o't road:D I would have done that run in 2 minutes if I hadn't hit that parrot. Still I picked up it's dead body and sold it to an unscrupulous pet shop owner.

TTFN

What?
26th November 2003, 08:35
Methinks the original claim be now getting the level of response it deserved.:p :beer:

igor
26th November 2003, 08:46
easy to do hikawai to kopu in eight minutes

just get ya watch from The Wharehouse

Lou Girardin
26th November 2003, 13:13
Was it an ex - parrot?
Lou

P S Now we've done it. Monty Python anoraks coming out of the woodwork.

jrandom
26th November 2003, 13:57
Originally posted by Lou Girardin
Was it an ex - parrot?

no no, 'e's just... resting!

marty
26th November 2003, 14:19
aye oop,

Motoracer
26th November 2003, 14:32
Cheers Marty, that was some funny stuff lol. Lou's comment finally made sence to me.

bluninja
26th November 2003, 15:31
Well here's the Monty Python Dead Parrot (http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-parrot.html)sketch to keep you chuckling

TTFN

marty
26th November 2003, 18:35
i've got all the good skits on mpeg or jpeg. if anyone wants them pm me (148 meg worth - a bit much to post on here...) includes a copy of the holy grail movie