PDA

View Full Version : Why I like my XJR

MikeL
27th July 2004, 22:06
In view of the fact that naked Jap muscle bikes are not overly represented among KBers (I can think of a GSX1400 and that's about all...), I thought some of you might be interested in the reasons why I ride an XJR.

First of all, a frank confession: I would prefer to be on a 1300. It's a better bike, without doubt. But good XJR1300s are going for a couple of thousand more than 1200s with equivalent mileage and condition. And the difference, to my mind, doesn't justify the extra cost. The only 1300 I could find in my price range was ex-Japan, no service history, and 36,000 km on the clock. I was about to buy it (for $9,000) when I found my 1200, a 1999 model (must be one of the last ones made), 1 owner, full service history, 13,000 km, for $8,500. In an agony of indecision, I test rode both bikes twice for comparison and finally went for the 1200. I haven't regretted it. The 1300 has about 6 or 7 more horses, Ohlins rear shocks and the same brakes as the R1. The 1200 has more power than I need, perfectly competent handling for my riding style and speed, and quite adequate brakes.

The XJR replaced my GSX1200 and the two bikes were clearly designed for the same market and with the same performance and styling parameters in mind. I bought the GSX because I'm an old fart and I go for the retro look. And I replaced it with the XJR for the same reason. The XJR I think has slightly better build quality but I would be happy with either. These bikes are what bikes looked like before they started to get hidden behind ridiculously expensive sheets of plastic. They're not sports bikes, not tourers, not cruisers, but to my mind they have some of the best features of all 3 types. To some extent you choose what you want them to be. Sit back, take it easy, admire the scenery. Or lean forward, twist the throttle and catch up with the 600s at least on the straight, if not in the corners. The wheelbase and weight mean that you'll never rival an R6 round the twisties, and of course they are outclassed on the track by any proper sports bike, but that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun. You just need to develop a different technique to get the most out of them. On my CB-1 I just need to think "corner" and the bike seems to obey without perceptible effort. The XJR needs to be handled more firmly and with more conscious involvement, but rewards you with a feeling of mastery and control that are quite different and very satisfying. When I first got it I found the front end a bit twitchy but careful attention to tyre pressures (it likes 36-37 psi) and a change to heavier fork oil have improved the handling considerably. When sold new the XJR1200 had a 130 front and 170 rear tyre. The first thing most owners did, I found out, was to change to 120 front and 180 rear - something the previous owner of mine had obviously done when he replaced the original tyres with Metzelers.
The engine is basically an FJ1200 reworked to produce lower hp and higher torque. In standard form it is rated at 98 bhp at 8,000 rpm and around 85 Nm at 6,000 rpm. It doesn't seem to matter what gear you are in, there's is always a surge of acceleration from almost any speed. At 100 km/h the engine is doing a lazy 3,500 revs in top gear (at the same speed the CB-1 is spinning madly at 7,000) but overtaking can be done quickly and safely without changing down. Dropping down to 4th or 3rd however adds a bit of exhilaration.You could do quite nicely simply leaving it in 3rd gear for everything - town, motorway, whatever. Top speed is pretty academic considering the fact that at anything over about 190 the rider will have been blown off anyway, but according to most sources I've found it's around 225. I have put on a Spitfire screen which improves things considerably above 120, but actually seems to produce more buffeting and turbulence between about 95 and 110.
Seating position is fairly upright (but not as much as the GSX - there is a little more weight on the wrists, but still a lot more comfortable than the CB-1 for long distances) and the seat height at 790mm suits me (1.80m) perfectly. It's a heavy bike (about 230 kg dry - the 1300 is lighter) and manoeuvring into parking spaces requires a bit of effort but you get used to it.
From what I've read the XJR is very reliable and maintenance costs are reasonable. The 21 litre fuel tank gives a range of about 250 km before hitting reserve which is more than adequate for most touring.
Minor criticisms include the gearbox which is not quite as slick as the GSX (I never knew what a false neutral was until I got the XJR!) and a fairly heavy clutch lever that you start to notice in Auckland traffic. Also the headlight is not quite as powerful as I would like.

Why choose an XJR (or GSX or CB1300)? It obviously has limited appeal for many bikers who probably consider it a compromise that doesn't do any one thing particularly well. But for me the combination of good looks, performance, comfort and reliability and value for money make it as close to the ideal all-rounder as I'm ever likely to find.

FROSTY
27th July 2004, 22:20
I['ve been eyeing up the FJR1300 for ages. Did you concider one when you wee looking?

MikeL
27th July 2004, 22:43
I['ve been eyeing up the FJR1300 for ages. Did you concider one when you wee looking?

If I had been looking for a superbike and had twice the budget I might have considered one...

jrandom
27th July 2004, 22:45
Excellent review, Mike.

Chappie at work rides an XJR1300. I quite like it. In fact, as some of you may have guessed, I'm not particularly turned on by the idea of owning an origami-rider plastic rocket in general.

FROSTY
27th July 2004, 23:16
Yea i do hope they come down to a more "real" price like the suzis did

Posh Tourer :P
28th July 2004, 07:19
Why choose an XJR

Cos when you dont say any more you can let people assume it is a Jaguar??

moko
28th July 2004, 07:42
I luv em,main reason I went for the Fazer though is that I ride all year round,including plenty in the kind of conditions the guys in Christchurch are getting now and it`s just too big for me to want to handle on icy roads.Also 600 is plenty for me,Fazer`s a lot lighter and known to handle pretty well.guy at work has got a 1300 with Renthal bars and I give it a good look over EVERY time I see it,think if I chopped the Fazer in for one I`d regret it though as a lot of my leisure riding is down twisty country roads and wrestling an XJR around them would be bloody hard work.The 1000 Fazer is supposedly a "better" bike in most respects but the XJR has a lot more character and I`d go for that over the big Fazer for that reason,both bikes have way more power than I`d use so top-end,acceleration over the ton e.t.c. is pretty much irrelavent.I`ve had a go on a 900 Hornet and while it`s a nice bike and handles really sweetly Honda have as so often made what should be a real beast of a bike into a docile pussy-cat,GSX1400 is just too lardy-looking,newer Bandit dosnt have the appeal to me of the older one so XJR is still the top big-bruiser in my eyes.Do you guys get the SP model with the flash paint job and up-rated suspension?

MikeL
28th July 2004, 07:49
.Do you guys get the SP model with the flash paint job and up-rated suspension?
I think the SP features have now been included as standard on the XJR1300 so there is only one model - at least as far as NZ is concerned.

Hitcher
28th July 2004, 09:12
I made a point of riding all of the range of naked Japanese "muscle bikes" before settling on the Zrex. The XJR1300 was a nice enough ride but tended to whale around a bit when hurried. That may have been the fault of the rubber rather than the bike. I also think that "retro" bikes don't have to look like they were built in the 1970s in every respect. Consequently I was disappointed with the XJR's instruments and switch gear. Good standard exhaust note from the 4-2-1-2 set up though.

As for the big Suzuki -- white rims?? Probably OK for Aucklanders. This big bike is the tubbiest of the crop and is a poor second to the Bandit (yes, I know the Bandit isn't a "naked"). Looks-wise it's a shame the Wes Cooley replica isn't available here. From a riding experience point of view, I didn't find much difference between the Suzuki and the XJR.

The CB1300 is a dream ride. Typical Honda gearbox and finish. But it's too vanilla -- the Toyota Corolla of big naked bikes! Looks good in black and shite in the white with red insets. From a rider's perspective I reckon the CB1300 lacks personality.

And then there's the ZRX1200R. No colour choice in New Zealand, so tough luck if you don't like candy lime green! The "smallest" of these bikes in overall dimensions but a fabulously engaging ride. More go then you can shake a stick at. Great two-up. Lose the standard can ASAP and get some Metzeler Roadtec Z6s on.

All of these bikes are great round-towners -- helped by plenty of low to mid-range grunt and a more upright stance than on a sportsbike. Shorter riders would struggle to manage these in stop-go traffic. But it's the open road where they really shine and the Zrex loves twisties.

Anyway, I highly recommend "getting naked" on whichever of these spins your wheels (and they all do that, no trouble at all).

moko
6th August 2004, 07:50
I also think that "retro" bikes don't have to look like they were built in the 1970s in every respect.

Good point which BIKE magazine here in the U.K. bought up when they tested the latest big naked bikes a few months back.They said that just because of the retro styling there was no excuse for all of them not to handle,brake or have modern instrumentation.Shame Honda castrated the 900 Hornet as that`s a real beaut but definately lacking in the grunt department compared to the XJR,ZRX e.t.c.,handles and stops really sweetly.
You said the Bandit isnt a naked,dont you get the un-faired version in N.Z?Looks really chunky,particularly the old model.

Hitcher
6th August 2004, 09:21
Good point which BIKE magazine here in the U.K. bought up when they tested the latest big naked bikes a few months back.They said that just because of the retro styling there was no excuse for all of them not to handle,brake or have modern instrumentation.Shame Honda castrated the 900 Hornet as that`s a real beaut but definately lacking in the grunt department compared to the XJR,ZRX e.t.c.,handles and stops really sweetly.
You said the Bandit isnt a naked,dont you get the un-faired version in N.Z?Looks really chunky,particularly the old model.
The Bandit offered by Suzuki in New Zealand is the faired model. The latest one (the K3) goes well but earlier models tend to suffer from what feels like frame flex.

The Honda 900 Hornet isn't that gutless really and is shitloads of fun to ride in its OEM state. Apparently the best investment you can make to one of these is to upgrade the suspension, rather than tit around with the cans and fit a Power Commander. In standard mode I would rather ride the Hornet than the CB1300.

moko
6th August 2004, 18:14
The Honda 900 Hornet isn't that gutless really and is shitloads of fun to ride in its OEM state.

I liked it,just reckon they`ve taken too much of the edge off the `Blade motor and I came away thinking "is that it?",expected a real badass bit of kit.Was very impressed with the handling and balance,certainly felt more like a 500 to ride in that respect than a big,heavy 900.Only my opinion obviously but I reckon honda missed the boat here with what should have been a major seller.They get punted out at massive discounts here and my mate actually got his for less than a 600 from the same dealer.Fazer 1000 is a lesson to Honda on how it should have been done and press rumours are that a "Hornetted" version of the latest Fireblade is on the cards for next year.