PDA

View Full Version : Sugilites Round One Nats Race Report

sugilite
7th January 2007, 23:03
Short story, finished race one in 12th and race two in 11th, which in the small fields of the Superbike class equates to last place!:gob: :gob:

Long story
I got to Teratonga race track early on Friday. It was 93 since I last raced there. got a few practice laps in on the 9 about 4 years ago though.
I saw Robert Taylor the moment he arrived to get my shock re-valved. He was not able to do it till the arvo as the "guns" shocks needed attention 1st, fair enough.

The day was very windy, but dry. I went out in the 1st session and my rear tyre started to tear apart right away, so I had no option but to wait until Robert could do my shock.
Once the shock had been re-valved, It was out on the track again, I noticed the bike was handling a lot better, but the tyre was continuing to tear as it had gone past the point of no return. I took it off and turned it around for the last session of the day. It worked ok ands I did a 1:03.7. The only other rider from the Superbike class to do that session with a transponder on was Aussie Chris Setton who did a 1:02.245.

All the other superbike riders had been there Thursday and were saying how much help it had been. Wish I'd known about that!

Saturday Practice Qualifying:
Got to the track early and it was really windy still, then the rain started and did not stop till mid afternoon. I put on my wets for one session, my front wet was made last century lol. Was just plain yuk.
It dried out and I put new tyres on for qualifying. They delayed the superbike session for a impromptu 150 race that they never started, then finally sent us out where upon it started to rain on lap 2 and the track just got wetter, grrrr.:oi-grr: qualified 12th out of 15 with a 1:04.855
From my point of view the day was a write off and I was spewing I'd not heard about the Thursday practice day.

Sunday Race Day:
I went out in morning scrubs session even though I had nothing to scrub as I was desperate for more track time. After 6 laps the flag came out. The rear tyre was starting to tear so I added in 3 pounds pressure and cranked compression up a few clicks on the shock.

Race 1: I noticed the people who qualified behind me did not front the race, gulp. I got an OK start from the 3rd row and started to learn about the bike now it was set up better. I placed 11th with a best time of 1:03.212 on lap 18. This shows I was learning all the time.
I have no spares so if I crash I'm going home early, that would mortally wound me, so coming last merely dented my pride! :mellow:
The tyre was tearing just a little, so I turned it around and ran it reversed for race 2.

Race 2: Got an OK start and put my head down, was holding onto Glen Williams but made a huge mistake that lost me a lot of ground. I considered saving my tyres for Timaru but a few laps later decided I needed to learn now! I got my head down again and again finished last, but averaged nearly a second a lap faster than race one and bettered my lap time on by now old tyres to a 1:02.989 also on lap 18! :yes:

The good news is I finally have a good base setup, my tyres had stopped tearing and the bike was handling loads better. I just need to learn what I can do with it now, and I'm a fairly fast learner.

Sugilites observations....
To give you all a idea of pace in the top class at the nationals...had I ridden that hard in the actrix series I would most likely have won every race!
There are no easy beat riders in Superbike, well erm, except me for today only!

Those Aussies are fast!

So is the 10, it is nearly as fast as the other bikes in standard form! (just pipes and a ecu so far) The other SB riders gave me a "yeah right" look after letting them know it was standard when they asked what had been done to it.

The top guys could hold tighter lines than me, I think it is just a ride height issue left over from when I was trying to tame the evil dunlops.

Pirelli Diablo Slicks rock! I turned the tyre around for race 2 and went faster! And it still has loads of meat left for testing at Timaru. :yes:

So there you have it, hardly and auspicious start, but no excuses from me, for today, the bike was better than I was.
There is a test day at Timaru Wednesday, and I WILL BE THERE :yes:

Derek McAdam has an easy as trick that will get me another 6 horse power and we will be putting exhaust probes on our bikes and tweaking our maps, Yeee ha!

I'm very determined to do well and are not going to have a cry about todays results, it's onwards and upwards from here on in because AT LAST I have a BASE LINE SETUP THAT WORKS! :yes: :Punk: :rockon:

Till next Weekend, Sugilite out!

T.W.R
7th January 2007, 23:15
Good read Anthony :yes: respectable in every way, especially still having to deal with dialing the 10 & yourself into the track !

If you behave yourself when you get back here I'll knock up some brackets for the tail section on the 10 too to stop that flexing you were telling me about :yes:

GSVR
8th January 2007, 06:43
Good write up Suglite. Actually short enough for someone with ADD like me to get to the end of. That field is good but my moneys on Stroud. Think next rounds we will see alot of changes in the finishing order. Bet your glad to get through that first one.

bistard
8th January 2007, 07:05
Well done Anthony,teretonga is bad for shredding tyres,keep up the good work
Wish I was down there as well

chanceyy
8th January 2007, 07:20
onwards & upwards dude ... it can only get better .. but it helps when the bike is set up right

good luck for next weekend .. :sunny:

gijoe1313
8th January 2007, 07:57
Great read! Always good to get some idea about what match racing and the skill/bike components required! And as you said, things can only get better now you have a consistent baseline to work with - keep revving it hard and getting the lean on! :woohoo:

I've yet to make it to a trackday myself :doh:

skelstar
8th January 2007, 08:00
Good stuff Sugi, sounds like fun mate.

Joni
8th January 2007, 08:11
Well done Ant...

Yeah its always amazing to see how the pace ups two fold at the Nationals... it might be daunting, however at the end of the season you will be amazed how much faster you have become! Not that you are slow now....

I remember last year when KK came down, by the time the GP happened @ Ruapuna, he was 14 seconds a lap faster around Ruapuna than he was a year earlier... it was amazing!

So up, up and away my friend :sunny:

Matt Bleck
8th January 2007, 09:01
Nice write up as usaul Ant, good luck for the next round!

kickingzebra
8th January 2007, 11:26
Yay Anthony. Thanks for the company!! Loved your work... He aint slow folks, last, like motoGP does not mean slow!!!!!

Cleve
8th January 2007, 11:40
Fantastic write up Ant. Well done and all the best against all those "pros"...
See ya at the Minefield round.

Keystone19
8th January 2007, 11:44
Great write-up Ant. Look forward to seeing you racing at Manfeild.

kiwifruit
8th January 2007, 11:45
bugger you missed that test day Ant....
best of luck for Timaru :sunny:

Crasherfromwayback
8th January 2007, 14:37
I was spewing I'd not heard about the Thursday practice day.

I'm a fairly fast learner.

Well you shouldn't have needed the Thurs then!:Punk:

But seriously mate.....the extra day does make all the diff eh!
Especially with Teratonga and Levels.....good race times....best of luck for the next two rounds!:rockon:

emaN
8th January 2007, 16:20
Reversing yer tyres... he he... Wonder if that'd work at Taupo?

Well done man, and great attitude to have, as frustrated as you must be feeling!

Nicksta
8th January 2007, 16:58
well done dude..... see you when you get up these ways....

Kornholio
8th January 2007, 17:54
Nice one Ant... are ya going to be racing at Paeroa this year?

slowpoke
8th January 2007, 17:57
Goodonya Ant! I'm sure your pride has copped a flogging but it's a tiny field mate, so don't judge yourself too harshly: new bike, dodgy tyres (reversed, for chrissakes!), changeable weather, little track time, yada yada. They may sound like excuses but they're all valid, and I've seen precious few miracles lately. Bring on Timaru!

Goblin
8th January 2007, 18:12
....I've seen precious few miracles lately. Bring on Timaru!
Yeah...what that man said!:rockon: Hope it all goes well for ya!

sugilite
9th January 2007, 09:51
Thanks for all the words of support peoples, it means a lot to me. :yes:
It's reassuring to know you have people supporting you through the good times as well as the not so good times. :rockon:

babyB
9th January 2007, 16:48
way cool sugi good too read. keep ya chin up and stay proud
my thoughts are with ya.. and enjoy light n lov

Clivoris
9th January 2007, 18:34
Big ups ya tall skinny bastard. If I had half your bottle I'd have twice my bottle.

mud boy
9th January 2007, 20:04
cool write matey..
it is good to see how you analise (sp?) your racing....

give it heaps in timaru

and i'll catch up with ya in chch..!!!:scooter:

Clivoris
9th January 2007, 21:15
matey..
it is good to see how you analise (sp?) your racing....

Oi! I thought that what goes on tour stays on tour? Is this compulsory for all racers? I would've got a race bike earlier.

Steve_R6R
10th January 2007, 18:31
Well done, you would have to be happy with some of your lap times.
Good luck for Timaru