PDA

View Full Version : BMW's G series

Ghost Lemur
8th January 2007, 11:01
Never been a huge fan of the BMW's. And althought the Dakars, HP2, and F800 do the business they're so huge that I've never considered them personally ownable.

However just came across some info on their new G series bikes (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3826&Page=1).

Here's (http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/intermot_06/G650.htm) some pics of them. Just click on the links for pics of each bike.

Got to say the Xchallenge does it for me. How about you guys? Thoughts?

clint640
8th January 2007, 13:46

Warewolf & me were having a giggle over those a month or two ago. They look very nice. The specs look good too. They're almost as light, powerful & well equipped as the current (about to be superseded) KTM LC4's. They only cost about 4 grand more too. :laugh:

Cheers
Clint

Ghost Lemur
8th January 2007, 14:42
Not bad for a first attempt though. Supposedly it's some sort of co-production with Aprilia too.

With KTM and BMW doing so well, I wonder how long it'll be before we see some truely competitive bikes start coming out from the Jap 4.

Ruralman
8th January 2007, 20:35
I reckon there is a gap in the market for road legal trail bikes between 400 - 650cc that are light enough for serious trail work but with motors that have some longevity and simple servicing at decent intervals (eg 50+ hrs rather than 10) - I guess what I'm after is a WR450 etc frame and suspension, with a motor like an XR400/500/650, TTR600 etc etc with maybe a few improvements.
The result would be a bike that handles superbly, not as much power as the WR450, quite a few kg heavier probably, but with easy to manage power and long easy engine maintenance and life.
You wouldn't win a race with one, but you'd have years of relatively low cost fun on it and in the right hands it would still be pretty quick. (fuel consumption would also be a lot less than the latest offerings making it more suitable as a dual purpose bike).
It should also have a decent seat!!!
These new BMW's look like they fit this description but at a very high price - would be nice to see something from the others.

NordieBoy
8th January 2007, 20:57
I reckon there is a gap in the market for road legal trail bikes between 400 - 650cc that are light enough for serious trail work but with motors that have some longevity and simple servicing at decent intervals (eg 50+ hrs rather than 10) - I guess what I'm after is a WR450 etc frame and suspension, with a motor like an XR400/500/650, TTR600 etc etc with maybe a few improvements.
The result would be a bike that handles superbly, not as much power as the WR450, quite a few kg heavier probably, but with easy to manage power and long easy engine maintenance and life.
You wouldn't win a race with one, but you'd have years of relatively low cost fun on it and in the right hands it would still be pretty quick. (fuel consumption would also be a lot less than the latest offerings making it more suitable as a dual purpose bike).
It should also have a decent seat!!!
These new BMW's look like they fit this description but at a very high price - would be nice to see something from the others.

You've just described a DR650 with an aftermarket seat.

Ruralman
9th January 2007, 20:55
You've just described a DR650 with an aftermarket seat.

Not quite - I still reckon the DR is a tad heavy and its suspension isn't as good as it could be (compared to a WR or CRF or a KTM 450 etc). I was also thinking of something closer to the 450-500cc size which I guess saves a bit of weight as well. The Dr is a good dual purpose machine but not as suitable for hard out tight trails as I would want.

NordieBoy
9th January 2007, 21:27
A DR costs $9000 new.
Spend a couple of thou. doing it up and it's still half the price of a BMW :D