PDA

View Full Version : Who has a matching tyre set?

sAsLEX
10th January 2007, 09:02
Well across over there is the thread about what tires people use.

Who uses matching sets, or do you use a front you like especially?

James Deuce
10th January 2007, 09:03
I match my tyres.

Even if it means going without lunch for a month.

Cajun
10th January 2007, 09:04
always do matching sets.

Cause only those rubbber things keep you between upright and pain, so will buy best i can afford. and replace well before worn out

sAsLEX
10th January 2007, 09:05
poll up now speedies

ArcherWC
10th January 2007, 09:07
Matching sets for me, though i usually go through several rears for every front

Flyingpony
10th January 2007, 09:16
At the moment both axles run the same brand but I'm not fussed over this and don't feel it's important to have matching tyres across different axles.

Tyres get replaced as required and I'll put on what ever I feel is right at the time. I won't simply replace the other axles tyre to make it a matching set just for the sake of it, especially if the other axles tyre still has decent life left in it. Should they come as a set (or excellent deal), then the other rubber will be stored in garage until such time it's needed.

However, on a cage it's important that both tyres on the same axle is replaced at the same time and match, matching a cages front & rear axle isn't important and obviously the spare is what ever provided it's healthy - they're a temp wheel for limping home/garage. The spare wheel (if not space saver) is typically rotated with a recently removed healthy tyre so the rubber isn't too old.

Bonez
10th January 2007, 09:18
Generally match metzelers. I prefer ME33 fronts. Hi Max front and Shinko rear seem to work fine on the CX. ME33 front and Barracuda rear combo works real well on the GB. Being a tight cunt I pop in the the local wreckers an do some of my tyre shopping there or take them off whatever I wreck. Have been known to turn down "better" brands in favour of "other".

MSTRS
10th January 2007, 09:23
In general I match both ends. But I have run mismatched before and not had any problems. I ride like your nana's (slightly) younger sister tho....

Squeak the Rat
10th January 2007, 09:26
Rubber is tested in sets by the manufacturer. And some front/rear combo's have specific tread patterns that disperse water in magical ways which may or may not work with a different tyre.

With tyres I put my trust in the manufacturers testing above the opinion of the sales people (the last tyre guy i saw recommended i keep a mismatched pair on), or my own intuition. Especially the latter.

The Stranger
10th January 2007, 09:34
I don't worry about matching.
The GSXR is, but that was more luck than planning.
I find the Avon Viper front an awesome tyre which works well with anything I have put on the rear. I haven't had any situation which would cause me to doubt the Viper front so far, so I tend to stick with what I know there.

car
10th January 2007, 09:58
Rubber is tested in sets by the manufacturer. And some front/rear combo's have specific tread patterns that disperse water in magical ways which may or may not work with a different tyre.

I've always used the same logic, but often wondered if the difference is significant, especially considering that I'm no Valentino Rossi.

I've always liked Bridgestone BTs, with the dual compound and boringly neutral profile. I've always replaced the tyres on a "new" bike with BTs. I used to mix BT56 front and BT57 rear, reasoning that a slightly less sticky rear was worth the longer wear, and they has the same tread pattern anyway. When I decided to step back down the CC scale to the RVF, I went for the BT39, matched, and then the BT090. I've always got two or three rears to a front.

Now I'm wondering what the skinny is on the 010, 012, 020, etc that Bridgestone released while I wasn't paying any attention. But, no matter for now, because I've other things to spend my meagre funds on before the tyres on 750 need replacing, and it'll be a while before I can tell the difference between borked suspension and crappy tyres.

terbang
10th January 2007, 10:08
Its a myth propogated by tyre manufacturers to sell more (of their brand) tyres. I've mixed and matched for years to suit different riding conditions and styles. Remember these tyres and the bikes they go on are made overseas where the roads and weather can be quite different. When I tour I prefer a harder compound on the rear but will allways have a sticky (er) compound on the front as I dont like losing the front end but can tolerate the rear hanging out a bit. That fits my riding profile. If I was sport riding all the time I would choose differently and same If I were track riding.

riffer
10th January 2007, 10:11
I like Z6's and the bike does too. I don't replace them both at the same time though...

Well on the 4r I ran pilot road on the back, and pilot sport on the front. The road tyre to give me that extra life on the commute, and the sport to give it a nice bit of grip for weekend rides.

Shall have to experiment with the new one a little...

Hitcher
10th January 2007, 10:51
I always do matching sets, that get worn as a pair. And that generally means discarding a half-worn front.

Motu
10th January 2007, 11:24
I couldn't care less,I'll fit whatever I find.Sometimes they match if I have to buy both,normaly they don't.

Crisis management
10th January 2007, 11:27
I carefully match every set I put on, one round black one on the front, one round black one on the rear. Simple really.

:scooter: :scooter:

Insanity_rules
10th January 2007, 11:48
I use Matching sport demons and the VTZ love's em! Once they're warmed up to grips like a very grippy thing.

quickbuck
10th January 2007, 11:49
I always match mine.

Has a bit to do with brand loyalty too.

Had baby elephant tyres since the day I was introduced to the ME33 about 12 years ago (or was it 15?, anyhow a while ago now).

Only time I have had anything different was when I bought my GSX600 with original rubber. They did okay with the life they had left, but went to the Metzelers that were recommended by Suzuki (they were nice enough to recommend two brands on the little sticker under the seat).

I don't skimp on rubber myself. However, as I have become smoother with age I don't have to go for the sticky stuff "so it doesn't let go when I need it". I find I can ride within the limitations of the tyre at all times, as I am more attuned to where they are.

Ixion
10th January 2007, 11:51
I am like Mr Motu, I'll fit whatever I find. Having had a scout round the internet to see what people reckon is good for the bike. Or bad. But most of the time thats a waste of time, because you get one dude reckoning that JellyStick tyres are the best thing for his Spagthorpe since they stopped carving them out of wood. And the next dude reckoning that he fitted JellySticks and they threw him off on a straight road at 100kph, squirmed off the rims , and wrapped themselves round his neck and strangled him.

So it's all a bit of a try it and see game. But if I do find a good front or back I will usually go for the same (or matching) model for the other wheel when it next comes up. So sometimes I do end up with a matched pair, by chance.

I tend to look more at the tread pattern (eg ribbed fronts or not ?) and the compound , than a brand name. Though I've never had a bad Avon tyre, and never had a good Dunlop one.

Grahameeboy
10th January 2007, 11:58
Always get matching although in the past have gone for soft front and harder rear.

Current are Pilot Powers. With the Sports I had to replace the front as well with the rear. Plenty of tread on front but due to tread patten the tread had scollopped.......Powers have a different pattern so was able to replace the rear only recently.

vifferman
10th January 2007, 12:00
I've fitted matched tyres for years now. Matched, as in a sports front and sports-touring rear. That way they wear out as a pair, the sports front gives me good grip and quicker turn-in.
The first set I tried was a pair of AVons on my VFR750, but they weren't that great. Then I tried a BT-012F and BT-020R, which worked well as the BT020 front sucks, and the BT012 quickened up the VFR's slowish steering.

When I bought my VTR1000 it had some Pirellis on it, which were basically sport front and sport touring rear, but they were thoroughly shagged through being run at too low pressure, and to many non-twisty miles. I replaced those with Avon Azaro AV49-SP front and AV46-ST rear, which worked very well, and really sharpened up the steering. I did the same thing when I replaced the VFR800's BT020s with the AV49/AV46 combo. They've lasted well, and given me no dramas at all, although the AV46 needs the pressure dropped a little in the winter or it can spin up in the wet, and conversely the AV49 has very soft sidewalls, so it likes to be run at higher than recommended (for the VFR) pressure, or it tends to flop into corners and wander on coarse-chip seal.

There are new Azaros out now, so I'll probably go with those when these wear out, and look hard at another sports front.

madmal64
10th January 2007, 12:48
Matching set. But I always go through 2 rears to 1 front.

Clivoris
10th January 2007, 13:12
Matching sets for me, though i usually go through several rears for every front

Matching set. But I always go through 2 rears to 1 front.

What they said/wrote

Mrs Busa Pete
10th January 2007, 14:09
i use to match them but nearly 1 year ago i got ex track set of super corsas for $300. hardly used. the back was slippery when cold but the front was sweet .that front tyre is still on HARDLY seem to wear so now its got pillot power race on the rear they complament each other why power race becouse they cost me $70. and last 2 to 3000 km come winter back to pillet power front and rear

RC1
10th January 2007, 14:21
yep matching tyres usually running pilot sport front and rear,got a good feel to them pretty sticky hold on the road really good, usually do 2 rears to 1 front

BarBender
10th January 2007, 14:45
I uesd to match but now mix em up.
Hard rear with a med front seems to suit my riding.

blackkatana
10th January 2007, 20:52
I like to keep them matching, just seems to make me more comfortable with what is keeping my ass off the road.:yes:

u4ea
10th January 2007, 22:37
matching pirrelli sport demons(but of course at my age.......soft in the rear):dodge:

Titanium
11th January 2007, 05:31
Matching sets only, 2 x rear M'3 to a front M'3

Pex Adams
11th January 2007, 06:20
I match my tyres.

Even if it means going without lunch for a month.

Hang on a minute - you get sponsored by Avon!

I thought it was a bit much to expect you to go without lunch for a month...

James Deuce
11th January 2007, 07:01
Shuddup, shuddup, shuddup :D :shifty:

crash harry
11th January 2007, 10:46
Match them by brand usually, given that I'm a diehard pirelli fan for some reason. They've never put a foot wrong as far as I'm concerned. But I usually run a Diablo front and a Diablo Strada rear, before the Strada came out I was using a Dragon and that did me well too.

Not real fond of the Bridgestones that are on the 'busa. They don't really inspire confidence for some reason. They are the first matched set I've had in ages

R6_kid
11th January 2007, 10:54
On my ZXR250A i used to run a BT92 front and a BT45 rear, this was simply to get more life out of the rear tyre. The BT45 front had the same cut, but was different compound to the BT92 (92 being stickier).

When i bought the R6 it had matching M1's, i then put a Z6 on the back which meant i was running tyres with a different tread pattern/cut, again same idea as with the ZXR. After a long discussion with cowpoos about why this could be bad in wet weather (the fucker even made me do some maths) i've since endeavoured to match tyres.

I've run Supercorsa pro's in a set, again different compounds but same cut.

ATM i have a set of M1's again, only because the shop i went to in Taupo didnt have a set of Pilot Powers on hand, which will be my next set of tyres.

I think the main point here is to make sure people KNOW not to match radials and non-radials. I think there is a compromise where you can run radial rear and non-radial front, but dont quote me. I'm not sure why it is but im sure someone can enlighten us all!

sAsLEX
11th January 2007, 11:01
I think the main point here is to make sure people KNOW not to match radials and non-radials. I think there is a compromise where you can run radial rear and non-radial front, but dont quote me. I'm not sure why it is but im sure someone can enlighten us all!

Can you even buy the different types of radial and non these days in sprot bike tire sizes?

quickbuck
11th January 2007, 11:32
Can you even buy the different types of radial and non these days in sprot bike tire sizes?

Yep, I am pretty sure you can.

Although.....
They (the tyre manufacturers) might have made it American proof. (To prevent pending law suits etc....)

Gremlin
12th January 2007, 22:18
matched sets... but I seem to run them out evenly... so buy whole sets. Mind you, I do seem to squeeze about 10k out of each set, so not too bad for z6...

Sensei
12th January 2007, 22:30
Have mixed Brands & types of tyres for 27ys . Haven't found a perfect combo yet come close tho. If you don't try different Combos then how can you say you know Shit about what is a good tyre & what isn't ?????????? " Harden the Fuck Up " !!

Motu
12th January 2007, 22:46
Yeah,tyres are fun - you need to experiment.I've put tyres on,gone to the end of my street turned around come back and took them off again - but at least I tried them and have a result to put in my personal data storage.I've sweated out terrible tyres until the bloody things finally wore out....I've had some fantastic tyres,and bought something else next time.Mind you,I'm not a performance orientated person and am unlikely to kill myself from an incorrect tyre choice.

Bob
12th January 2007, 22:53
Now I'm wondering what the skinny is on the 010, 012, 020, etc that Bridgestone released while I wasn't paying any attention. But, no matter for now, because I've other things to spend my meagre funds on before the tyres on 750 need replacing, and it'll be a while before I can tell the difference between borked suspension and crappy tyres.

010 - the sporty end of Bridgestone road tyre - replaced (or being replaced) by the 014 I believe. 020 is the more "sports-touring" tyre. It has a harder wearing centre with grippier edges.

I've run both (on different bikes) and the 010 is v.grippy and fills you with confidence. 020 isn't as grippy - but it still good and is an excellent wet weather tyre. It also lasts about twice as long as the 010!

Btw - note for any (original) Fazer owners. A lot of people put an 010 on the front and 020 on the rear. There is a whole urban myth about Bridgestone recommending this. No they didn't - to the point that man from Bridgestone came out to say they did not and it isn't recommended! This happened becuause there wasn't an 020 front that fitted the old Fazer! There is now, by the way.

What it (010 front/020 rear) did was make the front turn in quicker. But 020 front/rear made it a much more stable and predictable cornering experience.

But as Bridgestone man said - mis-matched tyres could be a reason for Mr Insurance Claims Assessor to reject your claim. There could be grounds to say "Mis-matched tyres are not designed to perform together and so could have been a contributory measure in the accident".

Be worth checking with a local insurer, if anyone has a friendly contact.

Brian d marge
13th January 2007, 00:23
My enfield Had matching tyres

Speedmasters front and rear . Black , round and hard as Nails . Consistant performance in both wet and dry conditions

Best thing ever to come from Britain ,

Stephen