PDA

View Full Version : How about an XT400 for my first dual-purpose?

Steam
10th January 2007, 09:47
I have only ridden GN250's, so something like this would be my first dual-purpose bike.
XT400's sound okay, reliable and simple for a beginner. Not too much power to handle.

I'm thinking about this old one, it's got 47,000kms on it, 1986, looks quite tidy, no funny engine noises, kick start, no oil smoke.
I know that's high mileage and old too, but I'm a bit skint at this time, and something like this is all I can afford. (Under $2000)

I currently ride a GN250, I get my full next month (fingers crossed) and I'd like something I can tool around offroad on a bit. But 90% of the time I'd be on the road.

Your opinions are welcome!

Ixion
10th January 2007, 09:54
47000 is nothing for those engines. They are unburstable and unbreakable and very simple to work on.

The only thing with the XT400 , is that it is a sleeved down version of the XT600, so it's a bit heavy for its engine size. But the counter of that is that it is even more reliable than the XT600.

Check condition of 5th gear. Doesn't usually give trouble on the 400, does on the 600, just too much torque.

They are not good bikes for real trail riding, cos of the weight. But they are excellent go anywhere bikes, happy at a decent open road cruising speed gravel, mild off road, go anywhere.

Your requirement sounds very similar to mine, 90% on road including commuting (they are just about the best commuter bike ever made), some back country road work, seal and gravel, and ability to head down onto the beach, through a paddock ,etc if necessary. Which is what I picked the XT600 for, and I am quite happy with the choice.

Mr Motu is the XT Yamaha expert, I'm sure he'll be along soon.

davereid
10th January 2007, 10:24
I bought one of those new many years ago, I recall they were $2795 at the time. I used mine as a commuter, went trail riding on it, and even went to a brass monkey on it from Nelson. It was a great bike, a bit tall for me, but reliable, easy to work on and very frugal on gas. If the one yopu are looking at has been looked after, then I think it would be an excellent choice. Good for about 140km/hr too.

avgas
10th January 2007, 10:33
go for it!!!!!!!

Motu
10th January 2007, 11:29
That's the early model with the monoshock under the seat.The motor is damn near bullet proof,but down on power for it's weight.They will move a long at a good pace,but hills and head winds kill them...passing requires planning.Some issues with CDI's on that model,but always for sale on TradeMe.

Crisis management
10th January 2007, 11:35
Looks like a good choice to me, my first adventure bike was a DR650 and I have found that sort of weight / size a reasonable combination for starting out, a bit heavy at times but it hasn't stopped me.
The XT must be a similar size so as long as you can reach the ground with your feet it should be great!

Steam
10th January 2007, 11:39
The XT must be a similar size so as long as you can reach the ground with your feet it should be great!Yeah, that's an important consideration for me, as I am rather tall. Not as tall as my 6' 5" brother Lorax, but still pretty tall.
Thanks for your thoughts chaps, I'll take it for a test ride tomorrow.
The Sticky thread on the Trading page is a great guide for that.

Ixion
10th January 2007, 12:14
Tall is not a problem!. Its a high bike. I'm 5'9" and about 6 inches too short for the XT. You should be just right.

XP@
10th January 2007, 23:39
I used to have an XT400 too :0)

lots of fun! I gained a lot of confidence on her off road and on gravel (used to step up to F650 and now Transalp)
It was also a good commuter unless it was full on southerly going in to town or northerly going home, when allowing another few mins was necessary, but able to cruise at 120kmph with a few excursions above that ;-). I guess you will have more than your GN anyway :-)

Check the wiring loom where it loops under the headlight (mine turned to dust)
Check the decomp cable - it will start without it but can be hard. If it goes then one bent valve is enough to be a real issue on a single, especially at the cold kiwi :(

worzal07
27th May 2007, 00:01
Just bought XT 400 & really enjoy having another XT again after 17 years of no bike,i had a XT550 ,83 model,then i got married & kids.Is it worth changing standard exhaust system & air cleaner set up to increase both power & torque & would the carb need re-jetting ?

laRIKin
27th May 2007, 09:38
I do not want to repeat everything that has been said.

They are a good old bus and are just getting long in the tooth.
But still a great bike that will get you every where with out any problems.
Not 100% sure on the price but sound about right you maybe able to pick up a 600cc one for that price and maybe not.
And you may find the 600cc a bit of a hand full in the mud and off road, so a 400 will be a good stepping stone.